untitled 3 (rated for language)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri May 12, 2006 1:25 pm
Areida says...

It's lame, but at least I wrote something... right? *puppy eyes*

~*~

My phone rings.

Meredith continues to ramble about what’s-his-face, not stopping to take a breath or maybe just give me one second to decide if I was going to take this call. She is about to drive me crazy, what with asking me every thirty seconds if I think Mr. Total Hottie in our Chem class ever looks at her and musing aloud whether her pale blue sweater compliments her eyes or her hair and singing that Josh Groban song in her thin, off-key voice all the time—that song I used to like.

Sitting cross-legged in the grass, I reach for my cell phone, and for a moment I think Meredith’s eyes are going to fall out of her head.

What are you doing?”

“Answering my phone.” I turn it over to check the caller I.D. It’s him.

“But—you can’t just—this is totally important—“

“I know, hon, but I have to take this. I’ll be back, okay?” I smile at her and flip open my phone.

I wave apologetically at Meredith as I back away, relief washing over me as I escape her fake blonde hair, excessive mascara and incessant giggling. “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me.”

There it is. That smile I can never seem to stop when I hear his voice spreads over my face. “Hey. How are you?”

“I’m fine. How was your—damn it, hang on a second. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

There always seems to be something going on up there, even when he’s gotten stuff out of the way so he can have some down time in the barracks. I really don’t mind; it’s more than wonderful to talk to him on such a regular basis.

I can hear him lower the phone to call out, “Enter sir or ma’am,” (his proper response) and another voice joins the two already speaking in the background. I take the opportunity to step off the grass of the area where Meredith and I were sitting and step onto the sidewalk. I meander contentedly down the sidewalk as he spouts off a “yes, Sergeant” and a “no, Sergeant,” and “I haven’t received that e-mail yet, Sergeant.”

I reach behind my head to finger my ponytail and find myself wishing that he were the one with his fingers in my hair. I’m tempted to take it down, just to make myself feel closer to him, but it seems so lame and pathetic that I resist.

There’s a shuffling, and he’s back on the phone. “Hey, sorry about that.”

“It’s fine.”

“So let’s try this again. Hi, how are you?”

I’m grinning like an idiot. “I’m completely euphoric. My feet actually aren’t touching the sidewalk. You’d laugh if you could see me. Floating sounds great in theory, but it actually looks kind of funny in practice.”

He’s laughing at me. “And may I ask what it is that has you walking on air?”

“You just rescued me from the clutches of a particularly vicious villainess who was plotting to steal my youth and beauty and transfer it to herself so that she could remain young and fresh for all eternity. She’s already done it to one girl today and she’s looking pretty rough—dark circles and everything. And I suppose it’s a bonus that I’m talking to you now.”

I can hear his grin as he speaks. “I’ll take what I can get. So what’s the name of this terror?”

“Empress of All That Is Frilly and Annoying, sometimes known as Meredith.”

He groans. “Her again?”

“She lives right down the hall from me and we have Chemistry together. She’s nice until she opens her mouth.”

“Yeah, I know a few like that.”

“I can imagine. But enough about me. How was your day?”

There’s a pause. “Fine.”

“Sounds it. You know you don’t have to sugar-coat it for me.” I pause beneath a tree, one hand shoved into my jean pocket.

“Yeah, I know.”

“Sure. You know I’ll just find out whatever it is when I get up there next week.” I’m going to visit him over Easter weekend, and my roommate has begun to keep a tally of every time I talk about the trip. Each mention earns me a mark on her expo board, and she says once she runs out of room I’ll have to find myself a new place to sleep.

“It’s nothing.”

“I’ll bet it grates on your roommate’s nerves when your nose grows at such an accelerated rate.”

“Have you had caffeine recently? You always talk like somebody off Gilmore Girls when you’re artificially energized.”

“Love you too, babe.”

“You know it’s true.”

“So now that evasive maneuvers have failed, you’re moving into frontal assault?”

He sighs and I can hear him shift in his chair as it squeaks. “I’m sorry. I just blew my APFT.”

“Did you pass?”

“Why does everyone keep asking me that?” he snaps, more to himself than to me. “Of course I passed! But I didn’t reach my goals—you know, the ones that I was trying to get to earlier this year.”

“I’m sorry…”

“Yeah, well, it’s not your fault.”

“Should I send you some Cheetos?” He’s been a big Cheetos fan since we were twelve. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the summer when he went through one jumbo-sized bag per every two days.

I hear him laugh softly. “No, I’ll pass, but thanks.”

“I could send the puffy kind.”

“You like the puffy kind. I like the spicy ones.”

“Then the spicy ones it is.”

“They’ll just get all jacked up if you mail them up here,” he says, but I can hear the grin in his voice.

“And arrive completely crumbled so that you’ll have to eat them with a spoon.”

“Sounds delicious.”

“Better yet,” I say, plopping down beneath a tree that sufficiently blocks the glaring heat of the April afternoon. “You could just mix them up with your liquid of choice and drink it like a shake. Serve chilled.”

“Sick. You know, you could probably win a gross-out contest with my roommate.”

I laugh, and then I hear a shuffle in the background and he says, “No, man, get lost…No…Stop it! Jackass!”

And then the phone has switched from one cadet to another and the voice that comes over the line is Patrick, his roommate.

“Hey baby. Have you told him the news yet?”

“Which news?” I ask. Most of the time I don’t humor him, but I’m in an oddly light-hearted mood.

“About us,” Patrick says, sounding crushed.

“Nope, sorry, haven’t found a good time yet.”

“You’re talking about Cheetos for God’s sakes. I love you and you love me and there’s really no point in putting it off any longer. I miss you so; I miss your hair, your smile, your voice, the way you look from behind when you walk, the—ow, shit!”

There is a scuffle, more cursing, and the phone is taken from Patrick.

“Did you beat him good?” I ask, shaking with laughter.

“You have no idea,” he mutters, and I can feel the death glare, even a thousand miles away.

“I think the part that amuses me the most about this is the fact that he’s never even met me.”

“I’ve got pictures.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” I ask, still laughing a little. “Pictures don’t give you a good idea of how someone looks from behind while they’re walking.”

“Doesn’t matter. I’m still going to kill him after we hang up.”

“Don’t get caught.”

“I won’t.”

“I have no doubt of it.” I’m grinning like an idiot, but I can’t seem to stop myself. I always forget how deep his voice is until we’re talking and every so often he’ll say something—doesn’t have to be anything important—that makes my heart beat just a little bit faster. “You know, it’s your fault he took the phone from you anyway.”

“How’s that?” he asks, and odd combination of his accents makes me shake my head. His o’s have started coming out like a true New Yorker, yet his a’s remain as they always were—containing the barest hint of a Texas drawl.

“You brought him up.”

I can picture him rolling his eyes. “Sure, blame it on me.”

“Well, as you know, God hates cadets,” I say, using the old phrase that it more commonly passed around the cadets themselves.

“No,” he replies. “God hates plebes.”

“But I like you. You’re nice.”

“Thanks,” he laughs. “But I have to go call minutes… so I guess…”

“You want me to call you later?” I ask. Sometimes it’s easier for me to call him and force him to take a study break than it is for him to break his concentration or momentum and then not catch me.

“Yeah,” he says.

“Okay. Talk to you later.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.”

My idiotic grin remains as I hang up the phone. My feet, which have been shed of their flip-flops sometime during our conversation, bury themselves into the grass, searching for the coolness of the dirt beneath the heat of the green sprouts.

It’s humid today, more so than it has been all week. We need rain.

But for now, I’m just content to be: to imagine Meredith’s expression when I never return (thank God I didn’t take any books with me to go meet her; I’d have to go back for them), to imagine him calling minutes and making last minute preparations before dinner formation, to imagine what it will be like in that first instant when I see him next week, and to enjoy the rest of my day, lightened by only a few minutes talking to him.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri May 12, 2006 4:30 pm
Empress Kat says...

awww, so cute... and I thought only me and dono were that adroeable :P
Is this going anywhere? or just playing around with cutsie conversations?
I especially liked the clever names she gives Meredith, except the empress part... I take offense.

I see this story ending in a horrible break up. But I've always been an anti-happy ending type.
Plan B is always "Die Trying."

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri May 12, 2006 4:40 pm
Shriek says...

Ahhh, the pure bliss of another Untitled by Ari. I almost want to ask you to get a name for these things ... but "Untitled" is kind of fitting for it. Seeing as characters don't have names either, and naming them at this point would almost be profane. Almost. Plus, naming the story (and characters) keeps the reader detatched, but involved. Close to the characters, but yet so far away. A very welcome paradox.

Well, this was excallent, as always. Usually, pointless dialogue irks me (for example, the stuff about the cheetos), but at that point in the story I was so wrapped up in the characters that they could have been talking about blowing up America or Q-tips and I wouldn't have really cared either way. That's the mark of a good story -- to have the audience so drawn in by your characters.

Speaking of the characters, I absolutely adore them. They're witty, animated, and believable. The dialogue here was superior -- funny, emotional, at times. You're getting SO good at this, Ari.

My only complaints are these:
1) I was kind of confused the military terminology: APFT? Call minutes? Maybe if you made some changes in the dialogue to explain the terms more (without ever outright stating what they are), it would be more appealing the audience. For example, I don't understand why not scoring so high on the APFT was terrible in the eyes of the male character because I don't know what it is. Is it kind of like the SAT in the fact that it determines what college you will go to -- and therefore, the course of the rest of your life? Or more of a minor thing that was just important to him because he's a perfectionist or ... what?

2)
I always forget how deep his voice is until we’re talking and every so often he’ll say something—doesn’t have to be anything important—that makes my heart beat just a little bit faster.

This sentence was a bit too long and difficult to read on the first try. Adding a comma after "talking" would help to clear that up, I think.

3) I was disappointed in how quickly and abruptly the dialogue ended. The final three paragraphs were EXCELLENT, but the dialogue ended too promptly, too soon for my taste. There wasn't a clean ending there, just kind of a messy cutoff. Then again, maybe the abrupt end to the dialogue is what makes those final three paragraphs so sweet. I guess I'll just wait and see what everyone else thinks about that (and more than likely, they will disagree with me. haha.)

Anyway, Ari, nice work. So glad you're continuing these! They'd make a nice little series someday -- or maybe a grouping of sketches that will someday lead into a novel? -Raises eyebrows-
-lyndsey
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri May 12, 2006 6:12 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Have I told you how much you rock my socks today, Princess Arieda? Well, you do. This made my day.

My biggest issue is with this section:

The Smarvelous Princess Arieda wrote:“It’s nothing.”

“I’ll bet it grates on your roommate’s nerves when your nose grows at such an accelerated rate.”

“Have you had caffeine recently? You always talk like somebody off Gilmore Girls when you’re artificially energized.”

“Love you too, babe.”

“You know it’s true.”

“So now that evasive maneuvers have failed, you’re moving into frontal assault?”

I got mixed up in this section as to who was talking. I love the dialogue, I just think it needs a little more description around it.

Other than that, I pretty much adore this. My favorite part was when his roommate steals the phone. I have actually had that happen to me on several occasions and it always makes for the most interesting times to hear them wrestling for the phone on the other end. It is so like guys to do that and the fact that the roommate was proclaiming love for her was simply priceless.

Oh, and I love guys that have mixed accents. I swear we have the same taste in guys. Maybe being roomies in college isn't such a hot idea... we'd always be fighting over the wonderful guys! :wink: lol
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 pm
Areida says...

Woah, you guys liked it? Well... thanks! LOL... I honestly despise parts of this, but hey, if you're happy, I'm happy. Thanks for the suggestions!

I got mixed up in this section as to who was talking. I love the dialogue, I just think it needs a little more description around it.

*salutes* Can do, Duskykins the Lovely. :mrgreen:

Other than that, I pretty much adore this. My favorite part was when his roommate steals the phone. I have actually had that happen to me on several occasions and it always makes for the most interesting times to hear them wrestling for the phone on the other end. It is so like guys to do that and the fact that the roommate was proclaiming love for her was simply priceless.

West Pointers have a tendency to jump in randomly on other people's phone conversations as well as proposing marriage to one another. At last count, I'm marrying two girls in my sister's platoon and the boyfriend of one of her roommates. Additionally, while I was there, I witnessed a very touching proposal and acceptance involving the use of a ring pop. Hehe... good times.. :P

Oh, and I love guys that have mixed accents. I swear we have the same taste in guys. Maybe being roomies in college isn't such a hot idea... we'd always be fighting over the wonderful guys! lol

But we're both so lovely that I'm sure we could work it out... Better yet, I'll bet we've got mixed accents we just haven't discovered yet, and we're going to have guys fighting over us. Yes, I like that better. ;)

Seeing as characters don't have names either, and naming them at this point would almost be profane.

Yeah, since I seem to keep doing them it feels like they need a name... but now that I've pretty much decided not to name the characters, I don't know if I should or not. Probably not.

You like my characters? Yay! :D I'm actually growing quite fond of them myself, these nameless characters of mine. :P

1) Military terminology... yeah... I guess some of it has just become commonplace for me because of my sister, but I suppose I should add more explanation. Like, the APFT is the Army Physical Fitness Test and I remember my older sister being really down about not scoring as well as she wanted to because she got cut twelve push-ups and some other stuff. Cut push-ups as in, she can do 66 in their time allotted, but when she hit fifteen, her grader kept saying, "No. Lower. Fifteen. Fifteen. Fifteen. Lower. Fifteen." each time she did a push-up. So in this respect, yeah, it makes him a bit of a perfectionist/high achiever.

Calling the minutes is what they have to do before breakfast formation and dinner formation. So for my sister, in her company, she'd call, "Terrors of the Deeeeep... Att-EN-tion all cadets... THERE ARE... five minutes until assembly... for dinner formation. The dress is white over gray, or as for rock star night... Five minutes remaining."

Then she'd look down at her watch, wait for the next minute, and call a slight variation for the four minute marker, and so on and so forth until zero. Maybe I'd better think of a more generic reason for him to get off the phone, huh? LOL...

2) I agree. I thought it was funky when I was writing it too... thanks for reminding me of it. :)

3) Beats me. I don't like the ending at all, so I might end up changing it anyway, lol.

Thank you for you suggestions, Lyndsey! You're always such an encouragement to me... you rock my socks. :D

Empress Kat... Forgive me for slandering your title of all things beautiful, regal, and good and the provider of pictures of hot guys to those who have none in their lives. These aren't really going anywhere, persay, but I wrote one back in March or April and they keep popping into my head. So basically it's turning into this series of random scenes between these two characters. But I'm glad you liked it! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf