z

Young Writers Society

Only by Faith

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:59 am
Faery007 says...

Only by faith. - H.Poole

In your monotropic mind, the idea of the perplexity of marriage encompasses you. You silently question my motives of walking you down the aisle, naked teeth bared and ethereal thoughts violently fighting against sense of sound. I see you now, sitting in silence that suffocates the air. I see the ring, so unnecessarily glamorised with harsh cut diamonds and pearls like beads on an abacus. Such a childish error of self-preservation on your behalf. Your moral compass always was a little off. That ring that you wear is the loophole that you so valiantly discovered. The loophole of life; in which you may be loved, but no love will ever slip away from your cold flesh. There is an overly glorified saying about love, that it is a game that both can win. How wrong we have proved a lover in denial of existence.

You wear that ring, like it's wrapped around your finger. The wedding; flashbacks of white roses, skin thin as paper. Purity that runs through crimson veins, leaving scars to lie in faith and love and all things overrated. And to entertain the notion that love is labour lost in time, is to cover a child's eyes from a tender scene, not far from where we stand. We will all fall, not into love or faith or hope, but into reality, that you forgot was beneath you all this time.

The accusation, that you so solemnly made, caught me in a poisonous whirlwind of raspberry bruises and skin splitting like silk. You fought with a Trojan horse, concealing the deepest secrets that even I knew, you could not face sedulously. Even now, after religiously denying any sense of leftover feelings, we stand like we have been robbed of our idolized sanity. Our eyes emulate such ambiguity it is futile to try and begin etching copper words on bloodless paper. Now, I am drowning in your tragically beautiful life, surrounded by the pressing interrogation as I watch you fall asleep. Fragile flaxen curls that suit your brittle frame so well. The neutral olive eyes that shattered like glass upon impact with reality. Milky skin that feels so painfully comforting to run my wild hands over. The jutting collarbones that I found most intriguing, so perfectly broken and protected by warm layers of the freckled flawed skin I loved so much.

I remember sitting in the cold night air, on tender moss and relentless earth. You came outside and we sat for an eternity. We did not utter a single word, but the exchange of silences felt like sublime purifying. That was our mutual agreement through the time of the unconditional love we endured. The rain started, right on queue. Raging copper pennies, violently escaping God's great sky, slapping the earth like the final act of independence. Nothing and everything ended on that tender moment. We were in limbo, between the edge of faith and the uncharacteristic sober termination of love. It was at that undeniable time that we realised one thing;

We were lovers. Not by trade, only by faith.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 pm
Makeeda says...

Hey, I honestly couldn't flaw this. Its beautifully written, the contrast between the idea of the fairy tale that shrouds marriage and the reality of married life is on point, and your use of the metaphors is lovely. That's all I can think of really.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 pm
bryan says...

I loved this. It was written, or maybe just the way i read it, with a poetic sense and it was really interesting to read. Loved it. At first you might jump to the inquiry that it's a short passage about a dying love but the way you finished it just reassured me as the reader that the love was still there only the connection wasn't physical or extremely dramatic. I really like how you took on a suttle approach when you expressed the love in this story. Most people tend to make love poems bare extremely caring and kind words or really sad gloomy types but you were right in the middle and though it wasn't super romanticised you could still tell that the bond your two characters shared was strong. I loved it i really did. keep up the good work!

My favorite part was this:
I remember sitting in the cold night air, on tender moss and relentless earth. You came outside and we sat for an eternity. We did not utter a single word, but the exchange of silences felt like sublime purifying. That was our mutual agreement through the time of the unconditional love we endured. The rain started, right on queue. Raging copper pennies, violently escaping God's great sky, slapping the earth like the final act of independence. Nothing and everything ended on that tender moment. We were in limbo, between the edge of faith and the uncharacteristic sober termination of love. It was at that undeniable time that we realised one thing;

We were lovers. Not by trade, only by faith.
*Imperfection Perfects the Heart*

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 pm
SocialSuicide107 says...

Wow, that's the only thing I could think of after reading this piece. It's beautiful and I just wanted to read more and more after I finished. <3 I think it would be the prefect way to start a love story....just putting that out there. =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 am
dreamwriting2611 says...

This elegant, flawless, eccentric, detailed oriented...I can't find any other words to describe this. It is so amazing. It is put together very well. I love the use of words and the way they flow in euphony as opposed to cacophony. I am in love with the story and the last line of it. This is pure brilliance. I want to read more. Keep up the excellent writing.
You are worth every breath that I breathe, every beat of my heart. I would give my last breath to tell you that I love you.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 am
Faery007 says...

Thank you to everyone who commented on this piece, I am so grateful to all of you. I am going to keep writing and hopefully never stop!

Dreamwriting2611: Thank you! I really never expected feedback as good as yours! You are right, the structure of the words and the phonetics really do make it flow in euphony. I never really noticed until you pointed it out. Thank you.

Socialsuicide107: I am really considering making this the beginning of a romantic story...maybe having the prose already done as a letter to a lover? You've really got me thinking now! Thank you!

Bryan: It was my aim to make love ambiguous and I'm glad you noticed. Sometimes there is a schema that love has singular semantics. I just wanted to make a point that love is not how it is in the movies, it's abuse, and hardship but also caring, satisfaction and loving yor lover no matter what flaws they may have. Thank you so much for the lovely comment!

Makeeda: First, awesome name! hehe.. :P What I really wanted to say was thank you! Yours was the first comment and it made me feel so grateful that you had taken the time to read and give a quick statement. I'm going to keep writing with your comment in mind and remember that somebody liked my piece just as much as I liked it. A super duper big thank you!

OK, so I am really sorry if there are any spelling errors, I'm on my stupid little notebook that's too mediocre to have spell check and the screen in TINY. Thank you to everyone!

Hayley Poole

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:58 am
snickerdooly says...

I really enjoyed this piece it was jam packed with details and abstract ways of thinking, I saw nothing wrong with it even though at times it was a little confusing I think that's just because everyone will interpret this piece in different ways because writing is never only just in black and white, but all the shades in between. Amazing job I hope you keep writing because your writing seems to me really beautiful!
Peace,
SnickerDooly
"Characters cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 pm
sharitm2 says...

I absolutely loved this story (: I haven't ever read anything written in the second person form that sounded so beautiful. The images of everything you were trying to communicate were vivid and clear in my head and the description was formed in an amazing way. I also really liked the meaning behind the story about reality and all. Anyways, excellent work and keep writing (:
The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~Anaïs Nin

"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi