z

Young Writers Society

How To Crash A Wedding

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:23 am
Lumi says...

You straighten the flower on your chest--the yellow kind that you hate and will haunt you in family photos for the rest of your life--and wonder if you’ve made the right choice. There are beads of sweat, after all, rolling down your neck, and the mirror on the bathroom wall doesn’t do the spikes in your hair justice. It’s your day--no, that’s a lie. It’s her day, and you’ve waited your entire life for the moments ahead. Over your shoulder you ask me if you’ve made the wrong choice, and you get the squeak of black shoes against the floor in reply.

“I have cold feet,” you say, and it’s probably true. It’s always cold feet that call off these days, and you’ve always been so good at analyzing what should be obvious. It’s why she loves you, I think.

“You have cold feet, yes.” It’s like you’ve been standing on ice since the day you met her. And you sigh and lean back against the door, face paling and palms sweating, and say that you really want a cigarette, that you’re going to call a break mid-ceremony on-stage and smoke through a triplet of Blacks to get you through the hardest hour of your life.

“But her eyes,” you say, and goddammit, you’re right, “her eyes will make it better, I think.” I wonder, vaguely, if you can still see her eyes beneath stage lights and anxiety.

“You’ll kiss her softly because her parents are watching.”

“I’ll barely kiss her, actually,” and you dab your forehead with a handkerchief, “because God will be watching, and I can’t make her look...well--”

“--like a wedding-day slut?”

It makes you smile. “No one needs to know it’s a shotgun wedding.”

No one needs to know.

The wires are splayed through the attic of the church. In some places, the flooring is so soft and pliant that I can nearly fall through just by resting a palm in the dust. And the way the entire attic smells--like mold and yellowed hymnals--reminds me of how she and I first met.

It was twilight in the old church and I had my fingers pressed against those old ivory keys, learning to lay out my soul in the way my fingers moved. She walked in through the back of the church and sat down in a pew without me noticing, and she just listened. She had the nerve to listen to my heartbeat, choppy and arrhythmic, dropping the gospel blues on that old Amazing Grace piano.

When I stopped, she clapped.

Clapped.

And walked down the aisle, laying her long auburn hair over the open lips of the piano, and smiled at me, said I had beautiful music in my soul, and wanted to play a duet with me.

And God, me being the helpless romantic I’ve always been, imagined that we’d do this forever. But green eyes and blue songs can only take a friendship so far, and unfortunately for me, it took our friendship into your hands, and your hands took her back down the aisle.

I check the time on my phone. 4:27, which means I’ll have to trust in my garage-rigged devices to do their jobs.

She didn’t want to have a baccalaureate party, so she invited me over and told me to bring plenty of vodka. We spent the entire night watching Gene Kelly and drinking bastardized cocktails of whatever we could get our hands on. After the fourth glass of Maybe This Time, she laid her head on my shoulder and curled up to my arm, clicking her tongue every time she felt my heartbeat beneath my wrist.

“You would tell me if I were about to make a mistake, wouldn’t you?”

When it rains on Gene Kelly, it rains heavier than anywhere else in the world, but he always sings, no matter how many times you drop the clouds on his head.

But when I laid my head on her head and closed my eyes, I asked her how her song would sound if she were to just sing about her feelings.

And she said she would sing about me, and how I was a constant. An x-axis to measure the rest of her life. And she left for the kitchen and brought back a black magic marker, writing a thick x on my wrist. And she kissed it as if to seal it like a blood pact.

“Always be my constant. Always be my Maybe This Time.”

And I said yes.

Since I am a good x and will be x no matter what fucked equation is given to me, I am playing keys for your wedding. She asked for very specific songs, and scratched off the ones you suggested because they don’t fit the atmosphere she’s set up. Every song is in Eb because she knows it’s my favorite key to play, and when everyone grows quiet for the procession, I feel remainders of emotions flare up, cocktails in my tear ducts.

Two nights ago, you took me to a bar, got smashed on hard liquor, and called it Purgatory. I couldn’t figure out if you were cleaning out your past, or setting up the flames to purge the future. Both scared me, so I told you I felt sick and anxious, and you told me to go home and listen to Jack’s Mannequin until I felt better.

I left you at the bar and found you the next morning naked and on my front porch, using my doormat as a blanket. When you woke up inside and on my couch with me watching Gene Kelly on TV, you asked only if we had fucked the night before; and when I said you wish and snapped my fingers, you didn’t say anything. Just got up from the couch and went digging for clothes.

You came back and said that I had the best outlook on life, that I was passive enough to get by without getting hurt. I left the room, went to my room and cried because she had said the same thing. It’s just so easy to barrel through the equations with eyes closed.

You opened my door and sat down on the bed and asked if I needed booze. And when none of the wet mumbles answered your question, you left and went God knows where.

There’s a fourth pedal on the piano, slick and silver like the other three, but wired to a trigger. And, as opposed to the damper pedal, it will cut a note short of its life whenever tapped. The lights in the church are all focused on you and her, the two of you that will kiss softly in front of her parents and God and me and the minister and everyone else who showed up on a Saturday to say I know you. It’s how weddings work, and it’s why she didn’t want one.

I think it would have been best if you’d have listened to her, if there wouldn’t have been a wedding. It’s odd how one moment can change passivity into aggression. It’s even stranger how one question can change an entire life.

The minister, as it’s written in Weddings For Dummies, asks if there are any, though really he doesn’t want an answer, who have reason that the two should not be wed.

And it’s interesting how wedding vows end with till death do we part.

So when the minister asks his question and lumps form in both your throats, I, x, press the fourth pedal.

Young love went up in flames, charred from lip to hip in blasts of high-octane rage. The blasts began in the back of the church: a flare in the ceiling, a roar of burning fuel, a crashing chandelier, screams--even waves of heat on my face as my fingers just moved on the keys.

The last scream I heard was at the altar, the last gasp of hers in a blazing dress.

Spoiler! :
See? This is why I don't do fiction. But someone said they might review it if I wrote it. ;)

Note 1: Ending is ffffffff and under construction, like most of the piece. CC is welcome and appreciated.
Last edited by Lumi on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 am
View Likes
Dragongirl says...

Wow, unexpected ending. I don't really know what to say. It was weird and confusing. I felt like I didn't understand what was going on. For a little while I couldn't figure out if the main character was male or female. And I didn't understand why he had to burn down the wedding.
However, oddly enough, I liked it. There was a lot of real feeling emotion in it and it was original, always a plus. You defiantly have a lot of talent.
Like I said, not sure what to really say.
Very interesting piece.
~DG
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:00 am
View Likes
thatoddkid says...

I was desperately looking for things to review, about *this* far away from reviewing poetry, and then I found this.

Let's just say you have my eternal gratitude.

Before I start, I'm just going to say that it's been a crap two weeks, and I'm unstable right now. If it seems like I'm getting mad at something you wrote, ignore me. I'm just b**chy.

And she said she would sing about me, and how I was a constant. An x-axis to measure the rest of her life. And she left for the kitchen and brought back a black magic marker, writing a thick x on my wrist. And she kissed it as if to seal it like a blood pact.
“Always be my constant. Always be my Maybe This Time.”
And I said yes.

I don't think I can say how much I liked this.

I left you at the bar and found you the next morning naked and on my front porch, using my doormat as a blanket. When you woke up inside and on my couch with me watching Gene Kelly on TV, you asked only if we had fucked the night before; and when I said you wish and snapped my fingers, you didn’t say anything. Just got up from the couch and went digging for clothes.

Someone shoot him. (Oh, wait...) There's always something to be said for unlikeable characters, and I'm pretty sure you've got quite a doozy here. That being said, I'm not all that fond of "you" either. But likable characters should never be something to judge writing by, unless, as the author, you tried to make them likable. If it's your goal to write a novel about the worst person in the world, then go ahead. It just annoys me when people say, "Well, I just didn't like the characters." It's called storytelling.

I liked your characterizations, by the way.

The papers the next day were exciting. The headline that caught the most attention was, by far, “Young Love Goes Up In Flames”. Enough fuel, the papers said, to drive a bus from New York to Chicago had been hidden in crevices all through the church. The attic, the basement, even traces were found in the remnants of a piano. The strongest line of the article was one quotable phrase.
NONE SURVIVED.

I hate this with every fiber of my being. The whole news report thing is incredibly overdone, especially in this sort of story. Especially as an ending. I absolutely despise it when an author uses that as a segue into pseudo-exposition. Give me a break. How hard is it to pan the camera on the destruction itself? I really don't care about the faded ink, Times New Roman font, two word sentence on some newspaper no one even reads because only old people are buying newspapers these days, and they're all dying of heart attacks because of the obesity crisis no one wants to deal with because food tastes so damn good and you can't argue with that--nor can you argue with a McRib in your mouth. I'd like to see some fireworks, if you don't mind. Not necessarily the barbecue itself; coals will do. If you know what I mean. (...)

[I have something that literally just happened and that I have to deal with, but I will finish this. Promise.]

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 am
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Mein Lumichu! <3

So I'm very aware that, at this moment, you are sitting in that Skype box yonder thar, kinda anxious about what I could possibly say in this review. Well, your fears are silly 'cause I have little to say! I love how the components of the story all worked out together. It's seriously one of those short stories I enjoy, piecing everything together.

I think what I found more distracting than anything here is the grammar. It's probably the very reason why I wonder if perhaps you wrote this up on the spot. ;) There were a couple words completely missing or misspelled (bachelorette party, I think you meant?). Style wise, it read sort of like how one tells a story in conversation. It's very conversationalist. It's a style thing, and can be very good thing. In fact, I wouldn't change it too much from it, especially considering it's in second POV. However, it's undoubtedly out of line for me to mention it, but I did find all those ands very distracting! Lots of run-ons and sentence fragments as well. I think it could still be a little more reader-friendly while holding the same conversationalist-feel!

Okay, so on to content!

Like I said, I don't have much to say. XD At all. I'm throwing thoughts out lykwoah. So I'm about to mention that fourth pedal. Now, you'll be pleased to know that I immediately went, "Wait, there are only three pedals. :[ " Good things happened there. 8D But!

There’s a fourth pedal on the piano, slick and silver like the other three, but wired to a trigger. And, as opposed to the damper pedal, it will cut a note short of its life whenever tapped.

This is where it's introduced! And I think it took too long to explain that this fourth pedal didn't belong. I think you should just briefly mention that it's there rather than spend two sentences talking about it (in a paragraph that doesn't tie into it, no less). Make it more vague? or. dramatic. I dunno. XD Moving on!

Gene Kelly. <3 I think it would be fun to use the "Maybe This Time" phrase elsewhere. I'm a fan of Easter eggs, if you hadn't noticed.

There was a moooment where the MC went to his room, leaving the groom elsewhere. Theeen the groom appeared. xD I don't know if that changes his opinion on the MC being passive or not. In fact, this is probably pointless to mention. Continuing forth!

And it’s interesting how wedding vows end with till death do we part.

This also probably isn't needed! I think... I think it's maybe a case of too much fore-shadowing. You take your time in basically telling the reader that these components are interesting observations to make. If there's a way for the reader to observe them themselves? That would be awesome. I hope that makes sense. xD

The papers the next day were exciting. The headline that caught the most attention was, by far, “Young Love Goes Up In Flames”. Enough fuel, the papers said, to drive a bus from New York to Chicago had been hidden in crevices all through the church. The attic, the basement, even traces were found in the remnants of a piano. The strongest line of the article was one quotable phrase.

None Survived.

Hi, conclusion!

So you maaay or may not know this about me, but I love eerie and suspenseful endings. I think this could be one of those! So much potential! But it went a little to rambly for it to have given me maximum impact. I'd find a way to briefly or subtly mention how none survived. Rather than... completely solve the mystery for me in a paragraph. It makes me feel lame 'cause I did all that detective work just to find the author's spilling the beans for me at the end. xD Now, in your defense, this is probably strictly personal preference, which would probably strikeout half this review. But! Food for thought, anyway? Play around with the foreshadowing!

Buuut I don't really have anything else to say. I like how you started it, certainly! It set the story very well, and... yeah. xD Structure-wise, it probably wouldn't hurt to play around with the wording. Maybe make it a little more catching. The segment, even paragraph, as a whole is well-done though! And as I've said earlier, I love how you worked in the little details through out the piece. It all tied in well together, and I love seeing that.

Anyhow. If I made any lick of sense, congratulations! You speak Jabber! Does this give me a free pass out of reviewing your future works? ;)

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:01 am
View Likes
SmylinG says...

Lumi. :smt044

Well, I now have right to say you're absolutely nuts for not delving into fiction more often. Shame on you for holding out on the world. I do think you perhaps have a teeny bit of a struggle peeling yourself away from the poetic heart in yourself, but I think --when channeled right-- you can shape this to work in your favor. There was that sense of a certain rhythmic quality I get when I dabble into your poetry as I took this in. As Jabs already mentioned you did the little run-on bit quite often to carry this love story through in a conversational manner as a speaker might in their poetry. Odd, yes. In general, I don't quite read fiction this way, but stylistically, you hold your own. And I can't knock that, for I am a fan. <3

Now, I will say that your rhythm fit nicely in the sense that this did have a lot to do with music and love and anxiety and racing pulses as the alter nears closer and closer until it is inevitable. For this, I have to argue that it worked in favor for you. You were able to inject this kind of restless mood by telling the story this way. As Jabbseh wrote: "but I did find all those ands very distracting! Lots of run-ons and sentence fragments as well." This may be true. However, my inner opinion tells me to argue otherwise with how I perceived your writing as a whole. Sorry Jabbseh!

Anyhoo, onto other things! Structure. I want to be constructive, but you indeed are an interesting one to decipher. *strokes non-existent beard* I'd say your structure was a little on the telling side, of course, but you also had a voice, and you used it well. It was the classic tale of "who got the girl" and the nervous best friend won. But the narrator had the key to the girl's heart. Which always seems to be the case with stories like these. But I don't think you made it cliche. No, cliche is far absent from this, my little southern friend. There was too much intricate fluff and metaphoric beauty to be cliche. The story had its base, you simply elaborated on a simple idea.

Oh no, I've gone and done it. Too much patting on the back, eh? H'okay. The nicey-nicey Smylin' stops here. I'm gonna be straight with you, kid. Straight as a roller-coaster on a few things. ;] First thing, you changed your ending before I could comment on it. I wasn't a big fan of it at all, to tell the truth, and was about to get constructive. Then I refreshed the page to only see you've changed it altogether, in the matter of moments. How did you go about this anyway? I'm curious. Or was an idea already a sturrin' in your mind? Now that you've changed it, I have much to say indeed.

Why must you turn this into something so morbid? D: Or was that your intention the entire way through? To kill the narrator's object of affection since he can't have her? I'm sensing some territorial issues, Lumi. I thought you were sweetly soft spoken, but I guess you can pack a punch when it comes to fictional characters. O.O Erm... *cough*

I feel a nitpick is in order!

There’s a fourth pedal on the piano, slick and silver like the other three, but wired to a trigger. And, as opposed to the damper pedal, it will cut a note short of its life whenever tapped.

Call me slow, but I didn't quite catch on. Which is a crying shame, seeing as you refer back to this and therefore it deems necessary I understand it. Perhaps you could enlighten me for I was unable to soak up the essence of this as easily. I want to be vague and think you were using it a tool of foreshadowing.

Well, I have no other larger conclusions to draw other than this was obviously short and sweet. . . --ish. Apart from the gruesomeish ending. Which I don't think entirely sat too well with me for some reason or other. It felt a bit forced. It was too sudden. Too front and center to feel natural. I would like to see you do greater things with this ending. Conclude it more soundly, perhaps. There's no need to be brief, just because both good and bad things can end brief. Dress up an ending to a story like this just as well as you'd dress up the beginning. I guarantee it'll feel more collected that way.

This review took far too long for me to complete. I suppose that's reason enough to call it good right about. . . --here.

WRITE MORE FICTION!

-Smylin' <3
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Lumos! Hello! I don't think I've ever reviewed something of yours. Probably because, as you said, your stomping grounds are usually poetry, which I avoid, and mine is fiction, which you avoid. Mystery solved.

Right now I'm staring at the last few sentiments of Smylin's review, and in bold and kind of hard to miss is "WRITE MORE FICTION" and I second that statement. Just so you know.

As for the review... I loved every individual segment very much so. They were filled with perfect, quotable, believable lines and beautiful phrasing and I guess that's to be expected, since your background is poetry. But, I did get confused in how they all went together. At first, I thought "You" was supposed to be the reader. After all, the title is "How to Crash a Wedding" and that led me to suspect that the reader was going to get involved, be instructed.

So later I started thinking that each segment was a different character, and then I started thinking that there were two girls, and the fact that the guy getting married was the guy's friend didn't occur to me until I skimmed the other reviews. And even then, I didn't fully get it until I went back and reread.

On a plus note, though, I did get the line about the fourth trigger instantly, and understood that this wedding was going to end with a bang even before that, thanks to the comment at the beginning about the shotgun wedding and the comment about the garage explosives. So even if I didn't understand what was actually happening in terms of who was pissed at whom and why, I did get that things were going to explode. (This might say something about the healthy of my subconscious. I don't know.)

In the end... okay, so this review has now taken me an hour to write because I went and got distracted. But, I'm trying to figure out if the purpose, the intention of this, was a "Whoa, big bang ending!" or to depict the pain or the relationship between the two. One thing missing, even now that I get it, is why blowing up the whole church and everything with it was so necessary to the narrator. I get him throwing off his nature as the constant in favor of being the variable, but... the impact in the end didn't come from him becoming the variable but from all the explosives in the wall.

Sooo... if you were going for the story with a shocker ending and all that, you could probably reorient it and make it more punchy and surprising and all that stuff. But, I think it could be intensely gripping and effective and not just a flash-bang ending where people oo and awe and then forget if you delve more into... not necessarily the character but the character of You and Her. Or the relationship. Or the emotion. Maybe the emotion.

Ultimately, I'm not sure. All I'm sure about is that you could, if you wanted, leave it more or less as it is with some of the polish the others suggested and maybe some nifty effect stuff woven here and there so that the explosives really give the full punch. Or, you could get the emotions to match the deed (or perhaps the deed to match the emotions) so that I can believe he wasn't just a psychopath. Or maybe so that I do believe he was a psychopath. There are so many possibilities, so many ways you could take this. I'd say I'm looking to understand why he did it and want a clue to why (and "because he loooooved heerrr" doesn't count), so I can figure it out like I figured out that things were going to blow--I'd say that, but you could also make it to where the point is that the reader doesn't get a clue as to why.

End game is that I need to believe things really did blow up, and I don't right now.

And with that... I think I'm done being absolutely, thoroughly confusing. Let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best to explain!

Rach
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 pm
View Likes
Octave says...

So, Ty. I know you have a good grasp of flow and adjectives and all that shebang, being who you are, so I'm not going to waste either of our times by giving you a line-by-line. ;) Instead, I'll go directly towards my overall thoughts.

First, it was honestly kind of long-winded and boring, and it felt more like a prose poem than anything. ^^" Your voice was difficult - the flow was smooth, but too smooth. Detached, almost. There was hardly any emotion there - everything went too quickly, and it was fleeting. In a way, I suppose I got that he was feeling hurt and a little lost (I'm not sure - grasping at straws here), but this felt too bizarre. The voice was much too detached, there weren't enough thoughts, and it was so far from the intimacy afforded by a first person narrative. (Actually, this is the opposite of intimate, but that's because of your style.)

I think this sounds more like poetry than a prose poem, even. oo" The rhythm and the flow was perfect, but it was like that of a march - strong, regular, but probably too quick. It's like bang, here's something for you, wait, never mind, here's something else - no, wait, let's move to this scene -

Until it all got too much and I was feeling a little empty and out of sorts. I just feel like you could have spent more time on each scene, focused on the emotions more, drawn them out and let them sort of linger in the air the way smoke does. This is more perfume-y than smoky - it's there, then it's gone.

So basically: slow down on the scenes - focus on each action as it happens, on your narrator's thoughts, on the way things feel - give us sensory descriptions so we can be in the room with the narrator as it happens. The most important bit of first person is that the reader feels as if he/she is there just as everything happens.

Also, another note on first person - don't break the POV, even if it's just for a while. I got tricked into believing this was a second-person piece because in the beginning your narrator reads the thoughts/feelings of "you" too well - and even knew what the other guy was thinking. It seems to be a fact versus an opinion - you have to draw a distinction, however slight.

For example, you wrote:

It’s her day, and you’ve waited your entire life for the moments ahead.

I recommend you add a probably after "you've", so we'll know your narrator was just assuming it. Eventually, you could stop putting in "probably" because we'll get the hint that your narrator enjoys assuming things about other people. Otherwise, it feels like your first person narrator is omniscient, and I'm preeeetty sure that's not something you're going for. ^^"

There's also another thing I noticed here- your narrator (actually, the bride and the groom too, but the narrator's a bigger problem) has little to no personality. oo" If it's there, it's weak, and only glimpses of it are seen. I know you want to focus on this one event, and that he's got some personality in there but it's buried by what he plans to do, but you can always show personality through the tiniest things.

For example, if I see some guy cringe at the sight of a man sneezing, I'll know the first guy is a germaphobe. Even a slight wrinkle of the nose will betray it - he's got something against germs, for sure. Or he thinks the other person is rude. Either way, he's a stickler, and as the narrative goes by I'll learn what kind of stickler he is. :) With poetry, you only have so many words, so you have to make every one count. It's less strict in prose - you can take your time, and as many words as you wish as long as you use each one effectively and further the character/plot.

Still, I think you don't really have to rely on these if you go in-depth on your narrator's thoughts. If you allow the reader enough insight into the narrator's mind, the reader can and will understand the narrator's personality. Again, more thoughts. Thoughts are the key to writing a good first-person narrative. They allow for some level of sympathy (which is important if you want your reader to actually stick with your narrator long enough to read the rest of the story - and I say some level because they need only understand the character's motives and do not necessarily need to like him as a person), a good deal of intimacy (which makes the reader feel so much closer to the story and is actually why first person is a very good POV if you can pull it off well), and a way for the author to conceal certain things without cheating (if the narrator doesn't notice them/has a certain bias eager to explain away the curious actions of some people, then there's nothing underhanded about the withholding of certain details). Excellent POV choice, but not exactly the easiest - might be the hardest, next to second person. ^^" The thoughts have to feel organic, too. Real, plausible - consistent with the narrator. Just work on that for now - most of the rest will fall into place.

There honestly is no conflict due to the lack of thoughts, but that's not so big a problem yet. I think if you fixed what I mentioned above (the lack of characterization, the too-quick emotions, lack of sensory description, and weak narrator), the conflict will be more evident and I'll have something to hang on to. Right now, this is really just too fast. I recommend slowing the pace down so the reader will have a chance to relish the emotions as the narrative offers them up. C: Emotions are most important in romance stories/stories like these - they're essentially the core of the story, and without them it's just a little bland, which I'm afraid this is. oo"

On another note, I could smell the ending the moment you mentioned something about a fourth pedal and wires. ^^" It's not about keeping the suspense at this point, but just plain avoiding a predictable ending. Try and be a little subtler with your foreshadowing, lest you give yourself away. If the reader knows the ending, there's no real reason for him to keep reading.

Soooo I hope this review helped, Ty! ^^ Also, maybe I'm just rattling about nonsense. >>" You might want to consider that this is your story, so you know best. I'm only offering up my opinion of why I thought it had a weak impact. You know where to find me if I made no sense/you want to talk this review over with me~

Sincerely,

Jae
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 pm
View Likes
MischiefManaged says...

LumiLumiLumi.

I have only just recently started reviewing and stuff and you were definitely on my list but owing to your prowess at poetry (I'm not very good at poetry), that never happened. Though after reading this piece, I have to give it to you bro. You're awesome both ways, like an Arabian coin. o.o

I loved loved loved this piece. The angst, the tragedy, the morbidity, everything about it! I loved how it was a narration all throughout, more like a soliloquy, from the present to the past then to the present again. The language that has been used, with taboo at appropriate places, is a plus because it serves the connection a 17 year old reader can make with the piece. And although this is rather one of those cliche stories about romance, you feel nothing like it when you're reading it. That thought dawns at the very end leaving you awe struck because you were so hooked onto this piece and to the story and to the narrator, you never realized.

I loved how you wrote
There’s a fourth pedal on the piano, slick and silver like the other three, but wired to a trigger.

but never gave up the real plot. Makes it all the more interesting.

And, goddamn, the ending.
Young love went up in flames, charred from lip to hip in blasts of high-octane rage. The blasts began in the back of the church: a flare in the ceiling, a roar of burning fuel, a crashing chandelier, screams--even waves of heat on my face as my fingers just moved on the keys.

One of the best I've ever read. Really gets your hairs to stand up and go all WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA WTFF.

The narrator here, the best friend, he's won my heart. I loved how he expressed his connection with the groom and the bride, how he never told his best friend jack squat, how he still loved the girl, how he's probably the best man at the wedding but all the same how nervous and sinister he really is and how he never stops playing till he's on fire. Freakin' hero, man, FREAKIN' AMAZING HERO.

You pulled it off and you pulled it off great. Too many amazing things packed altogether into this one piece and yet it flows all too well for anyone's dislike.
I beg to you, please write moare fiction.

- Sam.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:04 pm
View Likes
Winchester says...

Urgh.
Everyone has done really long reviews, and I'm just here leaving a comment about how much I loved this, how much the title reminded me of a Busted song, and how much I didn't expect, but adored your ending.
Chow >.<
Geronimo.
"Winner, winner, chicken dinner" Wise words said by the one and only, Dean Winchester.

Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness
— Allen Ginsburg