z

Young Writers Society

What's your NaNo '08 about?

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 am
MidnightVampire says...

Times Done NaNoWriMo: This would be my first (yay, my latest challenge!)
08' NaNo Name: Dark Sun (and the sequal- if I finish the first one- is Dark Sun Rising
Genre: Fiction (I'm sure I'll narrow it down by a lot once I'm done writing it)
Plot Idea: Iniko is a teenage (15) who was born in a world where the government was overthrown. In the new world, people must be fit so they can defend their country, and people don't always choose their marriages. In fact, some are forced to marry others so their recessive traits don't get lost. (Models were important also in this world). Anyway, it's about the overthrowing of the government by a rebellion, which was soon to be called the Dark Sun Rebellion. (I've got about a page and a half more of detailed planning[since I knew I would be brain dead if I didn't]
-Midnight Vampire
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:17 pm
Angel of Death says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: This is my first
'08 NaNo name: The Edge of Innocence
Genre: Romance/Science/Thriller
Plot Idea: After the mysterious death of his wife, Everett Sterling loses his mind and hides away in his 'castle' in New Paris, France. As many more people die the way Julia did, Everett becomes infatuated with somehow bringing her back and saving lives. Everett perfects the cloning process but there's one problem. The new Julia is like the old one by means of looks and personality but she thinks and feels differently. One day she falls in love with Stephen, an imaginative and sweet man who helps build carousels. When Everett finds out, he is enraged and hits Julia for the first time. Angered by what he had done, she leaves the castle and seeks out Stephen but when she returns home, Julia is forced to stay in the tower and there is no way to escape. This futuristic fairy-tale is not about love but about how it can drive people to do crazy things that are not always innocent. Come with me, and walk out onto The Edge of Innocence.

Here's a link to the book cover:

http://hosted.drpic.com/H860UNAPCN
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:38 pm
Kalliope says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: Sucessfully: Zero. With a computer break down: Once.

'08 NaNo Name: PinkInk

Genre: Gee, that's a hard question. I'll just call it General Fiction to not lie.

Plot Idea: See Roadkill progress journal. (Yes, I have a progress journal for a novel I'm not supposed to have started, but I just using NaNo to spit the thing out. I've only written one chapter so far and am pretty consumed with planning the rest at the moment.)

Whee! Everybody's ideas sound wonderful, keep going kids :D
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carol (1832-98 )

Got YWS?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:12 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

MidnightVampire wrote:Genre: Fiction (I'm sure I'll narrow it down by a lot once I'm done writing it)
Plot Idea: Iniko is a teenage (15) who was born in a world where the government was overthrown. In the new world, people must be fit so they can defend their country, and people don't always choose their marriages. In fact, some are forced to marry others so their recessive traits don't get lost. (Models were important also in this world). Anyway, it's about the overthrowing of the government by a rebellion, which was soon to be called the Dark Sun Rebellion. (I've got about a page and a half more of detailed planning[since I knew I would be brain dead if I didn't]
-Midnight Vampire

Eeep! Yours is a lot like mine, MV.

Times done NaNo: Zip. Zero. Nada.

NaNo '08 Title: Not sure yet.

Genre: Steampunk fiction

Plot idea: Serenity is perfect - the product of a society that picked and chose her genes until everything about her was beautiful, intelligent, and charming.

Dax isn't any of those things. He's a mistake in a world where mistakes and not tolerated. And so he lives alone, invisible, a ghost of a person. He does not exist, and he excels at it.

But when a man from across the sea comes to the city, Dax and Serenity are thrown together in a quest for a legend - a legend that Serenity scorns, and Dax desperately wants to believe. As their search goes on, the two teenagers are forced to see the world through different eyes - eyes that had seen the worst and the best of the world. In a city where Dax is invisible, Ren begins to see him.

But someone else sees him too. And they don't like that he's visible again.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:36 pm
Tatra says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: Won 2 times.

'08 NaNo Name: Flabberghast!

Genre: Fantasy

Plot Idea: About a guy trying to get kicked out of a boarding school in two weeks by acting insane and pranking the school. He is 'aided' by a Will o' the Wisp, who also sneaks his best friend, a girl named Spike, into the school. Will his plans succeed, or will they backfire?

It's going to be fun.
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:56 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Wow! Lots of NaNo virgins here!

I don't feel so alone now.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:15 am
Dream Deep says...

Times Done NaNoWriMo: Thrice, but unofficially. I keep attempting the feat but never actually get to 50,000 words.
'08 NaNo Name: Mercy Street
Genre: Religious Gothic Psychological Tragedy Mess Thing.
Plot Idea: The plot revolves around a [consecrated] member of the modern-day Roman Catholic Laity: more specifically, the events which stem from a near-death experience and his resulting disillusion. One thing leads to another, until all things lead to excommunication. Our protagonist falls quite thoroughly from grace and we get to watch him unravel at the seams.

It's gonna be a riot. And not nearly as dull as the above sounded, I promise. I seem to do a lot of stories where the protagonist is forced from something he deeply wants (Shan, anyone?)... I must have a load of ostracism baggage. xD

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Manny says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: I did it for the first day last year.
'08 NaNo Name: gorgonfish
Genre: Science Fiction
Plot Idea: A shot is released into the public that has a 40% chance of evolving them and a 60% of killing them. Those who survive adapt strange and/or power abilities. Some can grow extra body parts, take on the traits of animals, see the future, or feed off of molecular bonds. In a world where Homo Superior is gaining leverage, will humans fight, be subdued, or simply go extinct?

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:41 am
Jasmine Hart says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: I did an unofficial one in August 2007 on "Inspired Writers", but I've never done the official one.
'08 NaNo Name: I'm not entirely sure...Thinking of restarting "Juniper Halls" which I started as a storybook and then started as a novel, and restarted...I'm not sure itw ill ever get done if I don't set myself a proper deadline and have somewhere to check in to say how it's going.
Genre: Em...realism, I think. Maybe teen fiction, also realist.
Plot Idea: You can check it out in the storybook archives. For this version I'm cutting one of the sisters and am starting the story more early on.

I hope I actually write this...
Last edited by Jasmine Hart on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:14 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: This will be my 3rd.
'08 NaNo Name: Zombie Days
Genre: Action Adventure/Sci-Fi
Plot Idea: [stolen from my nano-profile]

Two high school seniors, Dylan and Brian, witness their hometown being attacked and taken over by a zombie horde. Armed with The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead, The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook and the keys to Brian's Dad's Thunderbird they set out into the wilderness on a quest to save their friends/city.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:44 pm
Merry_Haven says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: Never really done it before. So yeah. This will be my first attempt.

'08 NaNo Name: Murder at Hampton's.

Genre: Mostly historical. Throw in some romance and some mystery. Oh, and time travel.

Plot Idea: All Kat Stryder wants is a life full of adventure and some sort of romance. But that's not all she bargained for. What she doesn't know is her life will be completely turned upside down as she drives home from work on Christmas Eve. After she gets into a horrible accident, she is immediately pulled into a coma.
With everything seeming like a weird dream, Kat knows it's reality as she's now in the year 1899 as her great great grandmother, Katherine Hadley.
Reliving the past full of gossiping mamas, handsome gentlemen, high society, and scandalous lives, Kat has to live life as she is part of that time.
Yet, all of a sudden gentlemen and ladies are appearing dead at the Country Home, Hampton's. Kat will have to figure out who the killer is, as she falls in love.
But as New Year's hits, and a new century comes around, will Kat make it to her own time or live life in the Victorian era as only a memory?

So that's basically it for my first NanoWrimo. I hope it goes smoothly. :wink:

-Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 am
Gadi. says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 1/15 :)
'08 NaNo Name: My Jesus Novel
Genre: no idea
Plot Idea: [making this up on the spot. haven't really thought about nano. hope this will work. if not, then will try over the next year to do more than 10,000 words.]

A young female poet, liberal, Jewish, from a small town, post-university, is writing a novel.

That's it basically.

It's about her inspirations.

Which include:

>moving to Manhattan
>breaking her leg in the subway.
>falling in love momentarily with a homeless man.
>finding out she's lesbian.
>and meeting Jesus.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: 'tis my first time!
'08 NaNo Name: "Sandman and Scorpion" (unless I think of something better)
Genre: Erm... Romance / Action/Adventure(?)
Plot Idea: (from my NaNo account)

She had been nobility, born and bred to a life of ease. He had been the greatest warrior in his clan, his entire body a weapon.

She was caught when her ship sank and her body washed up on shore. It took six men to wrestle him to the ground.

She becomes a gladiator, a fighter who dies for the rich and famous' amusement. He is charged with the task of creating her in exchange for his freedom.

He will become the strength she never had. She will become his weakness.

~~

Pretty much, it's a story of two gladiators in a Rome-esque world (for lack of a better description), one who started out gentile but turns into a savage and one who may have been called a "brute" but who has a better sense of dignity and respect for others than those that might be called "nobility". Great fight scenes, political intrigue and a nice little romance. What more could you ask for?

I'm counting down the hours, people! NaNo for the win!
I am reminded of the babe by you.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:02 am
alwaysawriter says...

Times done NaNoWriMo: None.

'08 NaNo Name: Not sure yet.

Genre: I guess General Fiction?

Plot Idea:

For the first half of the story, you hear about a sixteen year old girl named October. She has lived in a house deep in the woods since before her parents died and loves anything artistic and anything to do with nature. Suddenly, however, she is ripped from her forest life and forced to live in the city.

For the second half of the story, you hear about a girl from China that smuggled her way into America. As you read, you hear about her struggles of not knowing any English, meeting new people, and adjusting to America.

In the end: both girls meet. I'm not sure what will happen or how they'll meet, though.

As you can see, the story is not very well planned out; the Chinese girl just showed up as wanting to be written in the middle of first period today. I'm going to plan tons before NaNo tomorrow.

-always
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:48 am
niccy_v says...

Times Done NaNoWriMo: Never. Nada.
08' NaNo Name: Sunburnt Thirst
Genre: Supernatural - has vampires
Plot Idea: Vampire vs Human

I am determined to re-write it better after to make it into a proper novel. :)

I've got about 15 potential covers at the moment
Last edited by niccy_v on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Writing gives my life purpose

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns