z

Young Writers Society

Summerblue

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 am
Jelly says...

The sky’s summerblue with simmering dust. All the days are melding together, a cerulean age of phone calls and memories, of sunshine and scraped knees and you’re-not-here.

Hair’s rolled up in itself for the day, tattered watch around my wrist, I’m walking through the eternal sunlight, thinking only of-
you and I getting soaked in the rain, my head weighed by watery locks hanging loose, asking you again and again for the time.

Every day is just another sunlit obstacle until our two days of rain.
It’s going to be one hell of a storm.
-- CC

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I hate it when the first thing people say about short poetry is that they wish you would "expand it."
So of course I'm going to say just that.
Only because I really like the theme you have going here-- I like the juxstaposition between sunshine and rain, I like the imagery, but I think it needs a little more rhythm.
I'm not saying you need structure or stanzas, but I feel like it's just getting started and then it's over. Which maybe that's part of what you're trying to convey; in that case good job. But I think if you just added another paragraph, or thought, it would make the ending resonate more and give it a more completed feel.
Besides that, really loved
Jelly wrote:All the days are melding together

Only nitpick, really-- not sure how I feel about the word melding. It sounds to mechanical; also don't change it to melting. I misread it as that the first time and that doesn't quite work either.
Other than that, great job.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 pm
FemmeFatale says...

This was really fantastic! I love the easy flow of your words. The first sentence "The sky’s summerblue with simmering dust." really did a good job of drawing me in. The only thing I have to note on actually was the same sentece :-p. Maybe you meant to say: "shimmering dust" instead of "simmering dust." Haha correct me if im wrong, because simmering may fit :-) Anyway, other than that, wonderful job! Keep on writing!
"To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders."
-Lao Tzu

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix