z

Young Writers Society

A few shorter stories

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 pm
Kafkaescence says...

Wrote these while camping. Since there're three of them, feel free to review however many you would like. Enjoy (if possible).

Spoiler! :
This one is my favorite, though it's also probably the most difficult one to grasp.

Hint: the narrator changes.

The Puppeteer

"Hey, I know you," I said to the puppet slumped drunkenly on the barstool beside me. "You were on the cover of some magazine a while ago."

The puppet nodded, picked up its glass, and proceeded to spill the contents into its mouth. The glass then dropped and shattered on the floor.

"You look so handsome," he was saying, "with your strings all straight, and your paint so new and colorful. I wish I could be like you; being human is so...limiting."

Swaying slightly, I looked down at myself. My paint was chipped, faded. My strings looped and knotted their way to the ceiling, where the bartender sat, contentedly directing his orchestra. I glanced back over at the man. My wooden lips opened. "You're stupid," I slurred.

He looked up at me—for he had shrunk on his barstool to half my size at this point—and nodded. He took out a needle from his pocket and began puncturing tiny holes along his arm.

The puppet, seeing what I was doing, took a string from the pile lying on the counter and handed one end to me, attaching the other end to itself. I began weaving the string through the bloody mess of my arm, through the scattered holes that lined it.

I pulled a string and, looking up—or down, depending on which way one looks at it—saw the puppet hand the man another string end, saw the man weave it through his other arm, then his leg, then, inhaling sharply, wrench it straight through his heart and out his back. Drenched in blood, he fell from the barstool. He was dead, and still hadn't ordered his drink.

I tugged at another string, and both the puppet and the man's hands came up. The man really had done a superb job. In reward, I dropped a free glass to each of them—empty, of course.

Spoiler! :
I'm honestly not sure about this next one. See what you can make of it.

Choosing Teams

Each year the children would gather in the school playground to determine their teams. It was an elegant process—very organized, very systematic—and it dated back all the way to the very year that their dilapidated mud-brick school had first been erected some fifty years ago. Everyone would wear their most attractive clothing to the event—once, not two years ago, a girl had gone out in nothing but underclothes. By that year, tradition had established itself quite well, and the children first divided themselves into two groups—one of boys, and one of girls—and arranged themselves in a circle, boys on one side, girls on the other. They did this without exchanging a single word, save for the rare grunt or muttered commentary; it was a solemn occasion.

Choosing captains was easy that day; it usually was. All the attention was directed towards the half-naked girl with the athletic body on the girls' side, and towards the tall, black-haired boy on the boys' side. They would be the first to speak, for they would be the ones to choose their teams.

Boys, by tradition, chose first. The black-haired boy scanned the half-circle of boys lined stiffly before him. Some were shifting uncomfortably, or trying—with little success—to hide behind the faces of their peers. Finally, the black-haired boy lifted his hand and pointed.

"You," he said.

The group's gaze shifted almost imperceptibly towards the subject of the black-haired boy's attention—a scrawny child wearing a cracked pair of black-rimmed glasses. The shock had only just begun to register on the boy's face when the half-naked girl, clearly having already made her choice, opened her mouth and let her voice ring out across the playground.

She had chosen a chubby girl with a bright pink dress, and a flowery bow perched atop her head. It took but a few seconds before the tears began to well up in the girl's eyes, began to trickle down her freckled cheek. She held her hands to her face and, sniffling, went with the scrawny boy to the center of the circle, where she sat down and wept, leaving the scrawny boy to stand awkwardly at her side.

Time passed, and the black-haired boy and the half-naked girl eventually accumulated a small mass of boys and girls. The last to be chosen was a tiny Indian girl who only knew three words in English—"sun," "rainbow," and "daffodil." She wandered uncomprehendingly to the center, hardly realizing the shame of her position.

"What...what do we do with them?" wondered the black-haired boy.

"I have some trash bags," a pale boy called out, waving his hand in the air.

"That'll do," replied the black-haired boy, taking the bags. Opening one widely, he called, "Let's go, into the bag."

Four of the chosen children strode over to the bag and climbed in, after which the black-haired boy pulled it shut and tossed it onto the dirt. The half-naked girl, the pale boy, and a few others helped him rally up the rest. The last to be thrown in was the chubby girl with the pink dress, who sat on the ground, bawling harder than ever. At long last, the bags were deposited in the trash cans that lined the sidewalk in front of the school. Tomorrow morning the garbage truck would pull up, pick up the bags, and crush each one of them.

It was customary for, afterwards, the boy and the girl captain to walk home together. Thus the black haired boy took the half-naked girl's hand in his and departed the playground. As they were leaving, the half naked girl shivered, muttering,

"It sure is cold here."

Spoiler! :
And, finally....

The Traveler

"Where are we?" asked the traveler.

"Wherever you wish to be," she replied. "You need only take a step forward."

The traveler did this, and found himself standing before a dark forest, whose boundaries seemed to extend endlessly on each side.

"I cannot enter that!" cried the traveler. "I would surely lose myself."

"There are worse things to lose," she said, and vanished into the fog.

The traveler sighed, and began walking. He was soon lost in darkness.
Last edited by Kafkaescence on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#TNT

WRFF

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 am
SmylinG says...

I like the first the best. The third I also like. It's short but it's easy to understand, which for lazy readers like me is where I find much enjoyment. The second I didn't so much understand, but I could picture the humor in it. Maybe that wasn't the vibe you were trying to send out though? Who knows!

I apologize for this not being much of a review, but for some reason I can never really pick apart your work. It's just so different, even in seemingly normal settings like a bar or a playground. Kudos, Kafka. -Again. :lol:

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:13 am
Payne says...

Hmm...that was like taking a trip without leaving the farm.

The Puppeteer was disorienting, and left me wondering what I had just experienced, but I really liked it. At first I thought the change in narrators would be confusing, but you pulled it off quite well.
...I just read it a second time, and realized that the bartender is narrating at the end. That was the only part that I hadn't gotten before.

Choosing Teams feels like a very warped version of the schoolyards of reality. Being chosen seems like some sort of honor at first, but...obviously it isn't. Very nice twist.

She wandered uncomprehendingly to the center, hardly realizing the shame of her position.

Great line.

The Traveler is just...awesome.

I'm having a hard time finding anything to critique here. Your style is great; very well-defined. I saw no errors with spelling or grammar.

So, well done. I wish I had your knack for writing such bizarre stories.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 am
earendil says...

I want to come back to these. They're interesting.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:12 am
PaulClover says...

Paul here!

Kafka, I do believe you have outdone yourself in the weird factor :) And yes, that is most certainly a compliment.

The "Puppeteer" was disorienting, especially with the change in narrators. It gave me the feeling of looking at an M.C. Escher painting that was slowly being rotated above my head as I sipped orange juice and listened to Beethoven. Trippy, and cool.

I really liked "Choosing Teams." That last line was brilliant: it gave me both the chills and the chuckles, though I guess the correct phrase would be "an uncomfortable laugh." The whole story gave off that entire vibe of discomfort, as we watch children commit an unspeakable act. Is this some sort of post-apocalypse setting? It kind of reminded me of the South Park episode where the kids take over the town and end up worshiping the town statue. Definitely morbid, and very well-done considering the length.

"The Traveler" is easily my favorite. Short, sweet, and to the point. I love the female's line about there being worse things to love than oneself. Brilliant. If I ever write a horror novel dealing with themes of identity, I would definitely want to use this as an epigraph.

Overall, pretty good, sir. And feel free to hit me up if you ever need some reviews ;)
Remember your name. Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found. Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped to help you in their turn. Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story. - Neil Gaiman

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:21 pm
322sivart says...

You...have a gift. You, have a gift. Kafka, you have a gift. I mean, it's not like I know your name or anything so I would know if something you've written ends up on the shelf, but you'd better tell me if it does. Because in that little, four-dimensional cube of yours, you got something for writing. Something that, if not used, might be the biggest waste, ever. I mean, I doubt it's inspiration, because you and I could look at the same thing and be inspired to write two completely different stories about it. So, yes. I conclude that it is...a gift.

'The Puppeteer'- You gave just the right amount of information to make it inexplainably lurid and yet somewhat difficult to understand. One thing that does lose me here, and would probably make it so much easier to understand is, the last paragraph of the story is from the point of the bartender, yes?

'Choosing Teams'- Very chilling, very insightful, very open-ended. Absolutely perfect. Period.

'The Traveler'- It makes me feel really stupid that I don't get anything out of this story. I'm not taking in anything. I can read it a million times, but I still don't see what you want the reader to get out of it, and for that I apologize.

Keep writing.
-Alex
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 pm
Kafkaescence says...

SmylinG - Huh. To be honest, humor wasn't quite the objective of the second story, but I can easily see what you mean. It was meant to serve as something of a social commentary on the relatively idealistic way in which we wish to perceive our world, and the contradictory ways in which we act upon those wishes. Thumbs up for morbid humor, yes?

Payne - Even better, because you don't have to pay for gas, right? ;) Kidding.

Yes, that was the main issue was finding in The Puppeteer's many editing stages (it got edited the most). I'm not sure what inspired the narrator change - I believe it was because I wanted the reader to be able to visualize the conflict from each varying perspective.

Ear - NO. Come back NAO.

Paul - The M.C. Escher thing - now that's an interesting image, ftw.

I hadn't really considered exactly when I wanted Choosing Teams to take place - though your guess of it being post-apocalyptic is a most interesting idea.

Siv - Thank you. Though I would honestly not be at all surprised if something of yours becomes some renowned classic, either. :)

Yeah, the last paragraph was from the bartender's perspective. Payne also brought that up, so I think I may have to edit that part a bit to make things a little clearer.

Thanks, all.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore