z

Young Writers Society

Letter to the World

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:36 am
tigershark17 says...

Please read spoiler before reading this post.
Spoiler! :
To anyone who reads this letter and has not been a cutter: this is not meant to offend anyone. I am not trying to be judgmental or cruel. I simply wish to help people better understand something that has been highly misunderstood. However, that being said, any comments you have are welcomed with open arms! (:

Letter to the rest of the world: from those of us caught up in the addiction of cutting

Dear world,

we know you don’t understand us. The pain we’ve gone through, the thoughts that pass through our heads when we do something as seemingly unthinkable as hurting ourselves. And yes, we see those looks you give us. The ones that convey your disgust, confusion, horror.

We know you don’t understand the deep, intense emotional pain that drives us to commit these acts, or the fact that, to us, any type of physical pain is far preferable to emotions. Did you know that nearly half of us have been physically or sexually abused, and almost all of us struggle with depression, anger, or low self-esteem?

And despite what you may have heard, no, we’re not crazy, suicidal, or desperate for attention. The truth is, we’re dealing with trauma, not mental health problems. We’re just trying to deal with our problems in the only way we know how. We aren’t suicidal either; people die from cutting by accident. Though there are exceptions, self harmers don’t want to die. In fact, we cut to cope, to regain control of pain and go on living.

Furthermore, self injury is not a cry for attention. People who cut generally try to hide it, keep it a secret, rather than draw attention to it. This is because we are ashamed and afraid of what you will think of us. What you don’t realize is that all those probing questions and demands for us to stop aren’t helping! In fact, they’re making it worse.

When you try to force us to talk about things we don’t feel comfortable talking about, or tell us to just stop, you just leave us feeling more alienated, alone, isolated, and wanting to hide it more. Nevertheless, there are things you can do. Asking us how long we’ve been injuring ourselves, with what, how often, what you can do --these are helpful questions.

But don’t make us show you our injuries, tell us to stop, tell us how we’re so awful and disgusting, or try to impose limits on us. Now, we understand how you might have questions. Why? Why do we do this to ourselves? How could cutting possibly help? What made us do this anyway?

There are a lot of different reasons people cut. The point of cutting is ultimately to cover deep emotional pain, far beyond the scars we are hiding. It gives us a “high” of sorts so that we don’t have to feel emotional pain. We’ve learned that physical pain is nothing compared to emotional, so we distract ourselves from our emotions by cutting; we put one pain in front of the other so that we have something else to focus on.

Please understand: cutting is just a cruel symptom of something much deeper and more painful going on inside us. The physical pain often has a calming effect on our more agonizing emotional hurt. Cutting is basically the treating of one pain with another. It can be how we regulate strong emotions, temporarily calming our nerves when we are stressed. It can be a way of controlling our bodies since we can’t control anything else in our lives.

It can be a way of releasing anxiety, as the emotional pain slips away into the physical pain. It can distract from emotional “numbness” by forcing us into feeling something. Cutting can express things that cannot be put into words, can be the only way we know how to display what we are feeling.

It can also punish or express self hatred. Sometimes we feel really guilty about things in our past; self harm is a way of punishing ourselves for those things. Often those of us who were abused blame ourselves, and punish ourselves by cutting. Sometimes we are so overcome by self-blame and self-loathing that cutting is the only way to feel anything else. It can be the only way we express how we feel like we just want to tear ourselves apart.

The one thing that stays the same, no matter how much our reasons for cutting vary, is that we always cut for some type of relief. Whether it be to release anger without hurting others, to deal with abandonment or loneliness, or to deal with a traumatic experience, we are always looking for a way out, an exit from our emotions.

Those of us in painful or abusive relationships feel stuck, imprisoned, powerless. Our rage and fear scream out at us to be released, and cutting is how we do that. When we feel alone or isolated, cutting gives us a sense of purpose and something to make us feel better about our isolation or rejection from others.

Some cutters have been through a traumatic experience. We become emotionally numb, shutting down our emotions so we don’t have to relive the pain. Cutting helps to make us feel alive, to wake us from this emotional “death” we imposed upon ourselves. It’s as if we’ve got no more tears to cry, so cutting does it for us.

Now, one of the biggest things you may be wondering is what could have possibly caused all this emotional pain, so deep for us to do something like hurting ourselves. Most cutters’ ability to cope with life is overwhelmed by powerful emotions or extreme pressure which seem too intense to bear. When these emotions are not dealt with, they build tension, and cutting is our way of releasing that tension. It’s our escape from reality, no matter how temporary. It’s how we express deep distress and cope with painful memories.

Many self harmers grow up in families where emotions are not allowed, where we are discouraged from showing anger or sadness, and therefore unsure of what to do with strong emotions. A lot of us also have a limited support network, due to either family breakdown or dysfunctionality, or shame about our habits. Many of us also struggle with OCD, depression, eating disorders, or substance abuse, and these can often lead to or coincide with cutting.

The most important thing we need you to understand about cutting is that it is an addiction, one of the cruelest and most difficult to break. It is extremely accessible: after all we already have our body and the tools we need to do the damage; cutting doesn’t cost anything. We already have everything we need to get the calm euphoria cutting offers us. The very reason this habit is so accessible is the same reason it is so hard to break.

There is nothing quite like it, short of suicide. Most of us never intend to become addicted. For us, cutting is worse than drugs because we want it all the time. We don’t care where we are—it’s almost as if we can’t go on without it. It can easily become compulsive, meaning the more we do it, the more we need it. The urge to cut can be too hard to resist.

Eventually we build up a tolerance to it until we have to cut deeper and/or more often, or more cuts at one time to get the same effect as before. Cutting is a dangerous thing to fall into, and though many of us want to stop, we just don’t know how to begin. We desperately need your understanding and reassurance; we just want to be loved, not judged.

Sincerely,
just normal people who want to be loved, even if we do happen to be cutters too
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 am
View Likes
fight4whatisright says...

This speaks to me so loudly and deeply on so many levels. I used to be one of those people; not judging - just unable to understand. But I learned what you said to be true. Every single word of it.

But what I find the most important thing for someone who is depressed to know is this;
Eventually we build up a tolerance to it until we have to cut deeper and/or more often, or more cuts at one time to get the same effect as before. Cutting is a dangerous thing to fall into

I've seen so many people reach the point where cutting isnt enough - some turn to drugs and/or alcohol, some just commit suicide. It could've all been avoided, if they had the right support, if more of us reached out instead of being so selfish and ignorant. People need to know its ok to find help and nothing to be ashamed of because they are not alone. They aren't the only one feeling these feelings and they can be helped, and that is NOTHING to be ashamed of. It isnt a sign of weakness, just that they've been through too much and have been keeping strong on their own for far too long.

The world is not as it should be. If only everyone could open their hearts.

Reviews: 3
Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 am
sWitchNerdfighter says...

This sheds a new light on my understanding of what exactly this is. I have friends who do/did this and have even seen scars, and now I know why. This is beautiful in a way most others cannot conceive. Well done, well done. You are the kind of person that needs to speak out more on things like this. You are the perfect voice.

PS: I really think you would like the band Black Veil Brides.
Perhaps everything will get better if people stop being so stupid?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 am
June3 says...

NOW I GET IT! I have one friend that cuts because her father abused her over one summer in Texas. She developed P.T.S.D. (post traumatic stress disorder), and she used to cut on her leg. But, as far as I know, she's stopped. Another friend of mine has had a lot of issues in her life, and her cutting habits are off and on. She kept trying to quit because I kept telling her that she was too good for that sort of thing. that she has me to talk to, and hurting yourself isn't always the answer. After reading this I understand that the way I'm trying to help her isn't exactly helping. I think it's time I'd try a new tactic. Thank you so much for that, and it was a really long, really good read. Don't stop writing. : )
There once was a women named Kent,
Whose nose was rather quite bent.
One day I suppose,
She followed her nose,
And nobody knows where she went.
-Unknown

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:40 am
marguardtm says...

You've articulated so clearly what so truly needed to be said. Thank you.

72 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 am
tigershark17 says...

Wow guys! Thank you so much for the comments! I had no idea this would help or be liked so much!!!
--Robert Greenleaf

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:16 pm
Stori says...

Hey, Shark! That was unlike anything I've ever read.

72 Reviews

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:18 am
tigershark17 says...

Stori: in a good or bad way?
--Robert Greenleaf

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:44 pm
Kyaira says...

This speaks to me as well. For those of us who have experienced, and still do experience the addiction of cutting, this writing piece does wonderfully at explaining how cutting begins and why it endures.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 pm
lele253isme says...

This.Is.Deep. I love it!!! It almost made me cry, and during some parts I couldn't read on because of that. But I did, and I love it!!!

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 pm
Jelen says...

You have approached this issue extremely well.

Cutting is something that is usually isolated in an emotional realm, but when it is presented that way, readers can more easily dismiss it. They have no way to connect with the simple, intense pain that such a condition involves. You, though, have done a good job of blending the logical side of cutting with the emotional aspect, without overwhelming or alienating your audience.

The only thing that I got caught on was the assertion that cutters are not dealing with mental health problems. But you went on to associate it with co-morbidities like depression, which are indeed psychological issues. I think maybe you meant that cutting itself isn't a mental health problem, but I think it is. Self-injury is (by definition) the inappropriate integration of stress (PTSD, abuse, and so on).

This is a really interesting and informative piece, though! Well done!
Данијела (Dani)

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas