z

Young Writers Society

we are less than the sum of our parts

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:29 pm
FLyerS says...

Lets start this with cars.

Did you know that a car is actually worth less if it is whole? In running condition, a car is worth more to the owner stripped down and sold for parts. Therefore, a car is worth less than the sum of it's parts.
I propose that humans are also less than the sum of their parts, instead of more, as we are told we are.
We humans are a compilation of emotions and energies. We contain in our essences many different personality traits and habbits of self. Humans are never wholely evil, but neither are they perfectly good. There were redeeming qualities to Hitler, (he was a great public speaker) just as the pope has sinned. Our evil inside us cannot fully come into play when the good tempers it, and the good is tarnished by the darkness within. Our personalities are more potent when they are disected. I am a very willful person. I also have great self-control. These traits are at odds with each other. If I didn't have self-control, my willfulness would be exaserbated, and viceverca. There are many examples of this in the average person.
Humans are odd creatures, never wholely ourselves. We are a mash of dissenting traits. These peices of us are more potent than we ourselves ever could be. We are less than the sum of our parts.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who don't hear the music.
Those who fit well into their world don't generally go about changing it.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:38 pm
VuzzyCat says...

I have never thought about humans that way. This is brilliant! Good job! I was expecting something different when I started to read it, but it impressed me! I loved the way you wrote it, comparing humans to cars, it made it easy to understand. Loved it! :D
I'm the author of my own life. Unfortunately I'm writing in pen. Mistakes I make can not be erased, the only option is to turn the page and start a new chapter. <3

I'm single because God is busy writing the best love story.
<3 VuzzyCat

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 pm
crescent says...

This is indeed an interesting idea to ponder on. I like your comparison of humans to cars. There are, however, a few grammatical errors but that can be easily fixed.

Therefore, a car is worth less than the sum of it's parts.

*its "It's" is the contraction of "it is". "Its" is the possessive pronoun of "it".
We contain in our essences many different personality traits and habbits of self.

*habits
Spelling error if you use American English. I don't know about British.

Humans are never wholely evil, but neither are they perfectly good.

*wholly
Spelling error

If I didn't have self-control, my willfulness would be exaserbated, and viceverca.

*exacerbated
*vice-versa

These peices of us are more potent than we ourselves ever could be.

*pieces

Anyhow,this was an interesting article, and I hope you continue to create interesting and unique ideas in your head. Happy writing!

-Crescent
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles