Young Writers Society

Mutts - Where?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:54 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

1/3/08

078 – Where?

“Here?” A pointer slapped at a digital map.

“No, sir. We’ve been over that area a hundred times.”

“How about here?”

The curly coif shook. “No, sir. Two hundred times.”

The pointer slapped at another screen. Technically, the general should have been using a laser pointer, but they weren’t direct enough for him. He needed to feel the impact of the tip on the surface. He had to know exactly what he was touching and how hard. Lasers were just colored air.

“Let me guess…”

The fresh-faced assistant shrugged wearily. “Guess, sir…”

“Five hundred times, yes?”

The curls bobbed as the head shook. “More like a thousand, sir.”

The pointer nearly snapped as it swung around to one last screen. The assistant’s head was shaking before the sound of the slap faded.

“Where are those damn things?”

The general threw the pointer down in disgust. It clattered on the floor and rolled under a table. The assistant made as if to pick it up, then seemed to change his mind. A secretary slipped on the end as they walked by. Papers scattered everywhere. The general didn’t notice and the assistant ignored it.

“Is there anywhere we haven’t looked?” The general glared past the assistant at the screen. The younger man scratched at the back of his neck.

“Well, sir, we haven’t looked in this quandrant,” he said, pointing at a small red area on one of the maps. The general shook his head.

“Good thing too. That’s out of our area. That’s Pakistan’s responsibility.”

The assistant glared at the map.

“I’d bet a good deal that’s where they are,” the general continued. “Pakistan’s a neutral party in this. They didn’t have anything to do with the Mutts and they don’t want to get involved.”

“It’s really stupid, if you’ll excuse me, sir. The Mutts don’t care about borders. Why can’t we just go in there and look ourselves?”

“Nothing I can do about it, boy. If only those higher up than me would realize how important it is for everyone to get involved. But we’re run by idiots. That’s just the honest truth.”

The general clapped the younger man on the shoulder. “Don’t ever get stupid.”

The assistant smiled wearily. “I’ll try not to, sir.”

Another clap on the shoulder, then the general straightened into formality once more.

“Let’s see if we can find somewhere that hasn’t been run over with a microscanner yet,” he announced, extending his hand expectantly for his pointer. The assistant retrieved it and the slap of it against screen echoed throughout the room once more.
Last edited by GryphonFledgling on Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:44 pm
Teh Wozzinator says...

Sorry, I haven't been on for a long time (I've been gone), so I was only just able to catch up.

Also, I have little time for a good crit right now. I really liked this part, it seems good and lightly political. (Nothing compared to the Orson Scott Card books I'm reading right now, though :D Ender series...)

One thing: "“Where are those damn things?”" Maybe you should put the "are" in italics for more emphasis.

Sorry I couldn't be very helpful here... it's hard to keep up with this, let alone critique all of them.

Someday I'll get a good one though...

Teh Wozzinator
Go K-State for North Division!!

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield