z

Young Writers Society

Lena ButSois and the Darkness Within

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 am
aslan_radish24 says...

A NOTE: i know this is not the best story. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and there are some problems that will probably be pointed out. i don't want to come off desperate, so i will just say one more thing: (BOOT-SWA)

Ever since Lena’s twin had disappeared, she had been different. Her once youthful face was now constantly lined with fear and worry. The hair that had once bounced buoyantly on her back had lost its silkiness. The glossy red was fading; no longer was it healthy and glowing, but the dull brown color of wheat.
Her lanky, mousy hair hung, still, to her waist. Her twin, Lucas, used to always come behind her and pull it. It bothered Lena then, but now all that bothered her was that her sweet, playful, 24-year-old brother would probably never be seen by her dark-green, almost black, eyes again.
These eyes scanned the kitchen of the small apartment in Seattle. The drizzly streets outside the modern, penthouse apartment were covered in black from the tires that consistently ran over them.
The apartment was clean, kept so, despite the white that plastered nearly every surface, by the fact that Lena was hardly ever there. Her brother and she had been very close, and when he disappeared three years ago, she could hardly make it through the rest of college. In fact, these days, she spent all of her time at work.
The walls of the apartment were covered, not in pictures of Lucas’ five-year-old daughter, Melanie, or his wife Deirdre, who lived in Santa Fe, but of Lena and Lucas in various locations and poses. The only way an outsider would even know of anyone else in the family was Lucas’ bedside table, which held a picture of him, Melanie, and, (with a protruding stomach, for she was expecting twins,) Deirdre.
Another 4” by 6” window to another life, sitting upon Lena’s dresser, was a picture of her boyfriend, Max. He was kissing Lena on the cheek. Looking youthful in this picture, her eyes were closed; she was blushing, a wide, toothy smile fastened upon her face. Max was mad at Lena currently because of her constant depression and moping personality.
The slender black cell phone sitting on top of the fridge rang. Lena rushed out of the dining room. She had been eagerly awaiting this call from work. If she got one more meeting, she would make her companies wall of fame.
Lena caught the phone on its third ring, as it vibrated and fell off the fridge. “Lena here.” She answered dully. “Yes. This is the Santa Fe police. We are calling to notify Lucas ButSois that his wife Deirdre was killed in an earthquake earlier this week. Your children should arrive later today. This policeman is very sorry for your loss.” The man on the other side said very quickly with no emotion at all. “Wait, sir! My name is Lena. Lena ButSois. My brother has been missing for—well, a while.”
“Oh. Well, the children will be arriving later today. O guess you have to go to some court guardian thing now. Bye, now.” he said, hanging up.
Lena finally left, after changing into a dark gray, synthetic wool suit. The rest of the day passed in a monotony of clouds and thunder. Lena ate a plain wheat bagel for lunch, and ended the day by earning a thirty dollar raise.
When she arrived home, she tossed her purse onto a table and hung up her keys. She continued through the neat, open apartment with the lights off, reaching the fridge and pulling the door open, basking the room in a shadowy luminescence. She reached far back into the freezer, grappling with an opened fudge ice cream. She grabbed a spoon from its drawer, then proceeded to the bedroom to eat and read.
She was in the hallway when the lights flicked on to reveal a man with brown hair and a rosy complexion. Lena rushed forward to greet him, but halted halfway down the hall. Max’s face had changed. He was no longer grimacing, frowning. He no longer looked at Lena with a frustrated glower. In fact, his face was crinkled with a smile that lit up his features. “Lena,” he began, before Lena could do more than gasp and stutter. “Will you please accept my hand in the beautiful sacred sacrament of matrimony?” he finished, sighing contentedly.
“A simple ‘hello’ would have done.” Lena said, collapsing into her bed.
Lena awoke. Max was looking down at her from what seemed like not enough space.
“Are you all right? Dear?” he whispered.
“I feel sick.” Lena coughed. She jumped up, spinning around. Lights were popping in front of her eyes. Where was the bathroom? She was clutching her mouth. The lights disappeared for an instant, revealing Max holding a basin in front of her. Lena retched. Her vomit overshot the basin, and she hit Max square in the face. Max started, looking at the now sitting Lena. She was slumped in the corduroy recliner, her face in her hands.
“So,” Max inquired, “Will you marry me?” Lena looked up. She had forgotten.
“Well, I haven’t even spoken with you in like, a month or so.” She explained slowly.
“Three years.” Max corrected her. “And you just threw up in my face. I even swallowed some. Despite that, I still want you to wed me. I love you, Lena.” Max whispered. Lena gulped as Max took her hands and caressed them softly. She nodded, and then hugged him. . . .
With the wedding in two days, Lena had become much more stressed. Melanie, Rose, and Lilly were very time-consuming, and Lena chose to spend as little time with them as possible, for their round smiling faces and bright, green eyes reminded her so much of Lucas.
It was an unextraordinary morning. Lena was walking past the hallway mirror early on Monday morning. Knock. She paused. She heard it again. Knock. She turned back, intending to check on the children. As she turned, she caught a reflection in the mirror. The reflection was not hers!
She looked the reflection right in the eyes. It was Lucas. He was changed, though. He was not the Lucas she remembered. His face was gaunt, his single remaining eye was red and had no pupil. Where it would have been white, was the same electric shade of red. His limbs dragged, and his clothes were ragged and torn. He reached his scraped and bloody arm towards her , and for a crazy moment, Lana thought it would poke through, but it halted right before the glass.
The condensation from his breath had left a glossy fog. He paused, then wrote upon it, “Join me.” With a sinister smile. Lena gasped, shaking her head. What she had just witnessed could not have happened. It was impossible.
Lena rushed downstairs to call the police. “Hello. This is Lena ButSois, I would like to report that I just saw Lucas!” she yelled exasperatedly.
“Hold it, lady. Your brother Lucas, where did you see him?” the man on the other end said in a deep, gravelly voice. “Inside the mirror in the hallway.” She answered.
“Sure, we’ll send some officers by right away.” He said skeptically.
Within minutes, two officers dressed in blue arrived at the door. The short woman said “Now, Lena, your sanity is your business, but we’re taking your nieces until you’re deemed fit.” Lilly, Rose, and Melanie jumped in the police cruiser, which sped off.
Lena walked back to the kitchen, intent to grab a yogurt and a banana. She was in the middle of opening the door when a gust of cold air from the fridge knocked her over. Lena collapsed again, this time on the kitchen floor by the open door of the refrigerator.
When she woke up, she was in a white room in a clean bed. Lena was feeling perfectly fine now, and was going to yank the many wires, tubes, and needles out of her arms when a nurse arrived, accompanied by Max. “Looks like you lost consciousness there for a while, but you’re all right now. You’ll have to stay here until we figure out the cause. We can’t see why you just fainted, so that’ll probably be a while, sunshine!” the male nurse said cheerfully. His face was completely smooth, a wide smile plastered on his face under his small nose and huge, happy eyes. His left eye twitched nonchalantly.
He was wearing a set coral pink set of scrubs, and had a tag pinned on his pants that said, “Hello, Sunshine, my name is Alex Skippy Jomeolle!” It had a sickeningly sweet rabbit sticker on it, and his pants (bellbottoms) were covered in a pattern of these rabbits, in every color you could ever imagine. “Well, I’ll just go tell my boss Maureen you’re all right. Farewell, sunshine! Love, love!” he said, winking.
Max looked around and said, “I’m going to the vending machine. Want anything?” Lena shook her head and, as soon as his elbow disappeared from the doorway, leapt out of bed, tearing the covers off her. Lena ran out of the hospital, called a taxi, and was soon home.
A cold can of soup sat on her small, round table as she stared into it miserably. Lena missed her brother horribly. She knew he would have believed her about the mirror apparition.
She left the table. Lena stared at the mirror, wishing someone would appear, anyone. She turned around, telling herself about the call she was going to get tomorrow. She shrieked. There were three people staring at her from the darkness within the mirror.
The one in the middle was portly, and his small neck protruded from the right side of his shoulders, holding up his abnormally large head, which was freckled, with a single hair sprouting from the top of his otherwise bald head. He reached out his hand and, without warning, reached right through the mirror to Lena’s hand, which he grasped and pulled, right through the mirror. Lena tried to hold onto the sides of the mirror, but it had turned into a liquid-like substance.
Lena was in a place. It was not a room, not even a solid area. She stood on something, but it seemed, when touched, to be nothing but velvety air. There was no horizon, no walls, all Lena could see anywhere was black darkness. The strangest thing about this place was that it had light, but the light seemed to be emitting from the very beings at which Lena looked.
The other two figures who had brought her through the mirror, which was now like a liquid window into her apartment, were her brother and a very short woman. Her brother was now dressed in regal, flowing robes. He had a charming smile fixed on his smooth face. The woman was about as tall as Lena’s knee, and Lena wasn’t that tall. She was proportional, with hands the size of large buttons. Her hair was a bright, stunning red, but when Lena looked back, it was a deep, dark black.
“Welcome,” the whole group, which consisted of about 60 people, chanted. “This is Ompe, land of us. You are our new queen, Burouskez.” They all bowed simultaneously. “you are here to reign as queen with your brother, King Burouskez.” They explained as one.
“But—but he’s my brother. King and Queen have to be married.” Lena stuttered.
“Ah, you are as ignorant and shortsighted as Rorinscos, who we sacrifi—I mean banished.” They said, licking their lips before bowing again. “In the human world they must be married, but here, they must be twins.”
Lena started to emit a pearly, white glow, which spread from her fingertips to her toes. She looked down and saw she was wearing a set of robes just like Lucas’. She was also sitting on a large throne, high above the others. Her voice echoed as she addressed them. “Thank you so much for this great honor!”
Lena walked, light as air, across the place. Today was her wedding, and she had to leave. She tiptoed across the endless darkness, but halted when she heard hidden voices.
“We roast her tomorrow?”
“No. she’s not fattened up yet.”
“But I’m hungry, and she’s plumper than King Burouskez was. He was so stringy.”
“All right, tomorrow. I am hungry.”
Lena gasped, then dashed toward the mirror. It had become as hard as ice. She beat her fists upon it,. People were chasing towards her now. she desperately turned around and ran through the mirror. She sighed, and turned around. She could still see the land of Ompe. She gasped, then understood. She turned around again, then peeked through her fingers. They were gone, but she could still hear a distant pounding coming from the mirror.
Lena started sobbing. They’d eaten Lucas. Eaten him! Then she remembered: Max! the wedding was in three minutes. She pulled on a skirt and ran down the stairs. The rain spattered her as she called a cab.
She ran down the aisle, screaming “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, Max!” when she reached the altar, however, Max was nowhere to be seen. “MAX!!” she yelled. She drew a great breath and fell down, rolling upon the floor in hysterics. She was in the dark again, but it was just her apartment with the lights off. She looked around at the many pearly faces watching her intently.
“BAAGHH!” she screamed, heading for the balcony. As she did so, she knocked several people aside, who tried to hold her tightly, as tightly as a straightjacket. She leapt to the balcony. If she couldn’t get out of her mind, she was getting her mind out of her. She jumped off the balcony, and then there was complete darkness unlike even that of the mirror. . . .
The asylum was bright white, with pastel green carpet. Lucas strode briskly to room 666. The nurse, Alexandra, unlocked the door and let him inside. Lucas stared at Lena, on the floor and not moving. “Is she dead?” he asked the nurse. She shook her head.
“Just thinks she is.” She answered. Lucas crept to her, knelt down beside her and looked into her open eyes. The once green eyes were black as pitch. But not only this, they were all black. No pupil, no white, black.
Lucas, shocked, looked up at Alexandra. “She’s been here since the first time she looked in a mirror, my mum said. I don’t know why. Where could her mind be?” he asked no one, astounded.
“According to her, some place called Ompe. Well, and Seattle. We have to keep her sedated sometimes.” She replied. Lucas gasped as Lena gave a great shudder in her straight jacket and looked directly at him. Her eyes had flashed, and they were now completely, shockingly red. Lucas turned around looking into the mirror therapy room, and saw Lena, looking at him with her empty eyes out of a mirror, and fade away.
Lucas looked at Alexandra, who was now as tall as his knee, nodded at her in his flowing robes, and repeated, “Where could her mind be?” His voice echoing into the eternal darkness.
The end
Hellodilly-odilly, there!
Enjoy your time in cyberspace, creatures of the dark.
Certain levels of hypocrisy (redbird gets it).

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:15 pm
Evi says...

Hey! ^^ Sorry it took this long for you to get a review; I think it's because this is rather long to post in one segment. If it happens again, go to 'Writing Resources' and then 'The Writers Corner' and then 'Will Review for Food' thread. There you can request a critique from the review thread of a certain member, and they'll review it for you.

Now, to begin!

It bothered Lena then, but now all that bothered her was that her sweet, playful, 24-year-old brother would probably never be seen by her dark-green, almost black, eyes again.

Long sentence, phrased a bit awkwardly. Too many commas, I think-- and '24' needs to be spelled out.

Max was mad at Lena currently because of her constant depression and moping personality.

Mad at Lena at the time the picture was taken, or mad at her now, currently, three years after Lucas had died? Make sure to clarify.

“Lena here.” She answered dully.

"Lena here," she answered dully." There's a good tutorial on Dialogue Punctuation by Demeter in the Knowledge Base, so check it out if you need to. ;)

“Oh. Well, the children will be arriving later today. O guess you have to go to some court guardian thing now. Bye, now.” he said, hanging up.

I have a hard time believing that a policeman would be so unprofessional. Don't you think he'd have learned, just given his position, to be a tad more compassionate, and not use vague, uninteresting terms like 'some court guardian thing' to a complete stranger whose family just died? Try to think realistically when it comes to dialogue and characterization. ^^

a wide, toothy smile

dark gray, synthetic

dark-green, almost black

modern, penthouse apartment

slender black cell phone

See a trend in all these quotes? You describe a lot of things in the same way-- two thoughts, most of the time separated by a comma. It began to stick out to me, so you might want to consider rewording some of your descriptions. Lengthen them and vary them in structure. Too much of any one format is a bad thing. xD

“So,” Max inquired, “Will you marry me?” Lena looked up. She had forgotten.

“Well, I haven’t even spoken with you in like, a month or so.” She explained slowly.

“Three years.” Max corrected her. “And you just threw up in my face. I even swallowed some. Despite that, I still want you to wed me. I love you, Lena.” Max whispered. Lena gulped as Max took her hands and caressed them softly. She nodded, and then hugged him. . . .

xD Why isn't he doing anything about the vomit? That's majorly eww, and then she hugged her vomit-covered boyfriend? Okay...might want to rethink this one, dear. =P

With the wedding in two days, Lena had become much more stressed.

I'm beginning to think that your biggest issue is being too unrealistic. After a proposal, the wedding normally comes about six months after-- definitely not two days. It takes an enormous amount of time to plan, and most places won't host a wedding on such short notice--

Wait. Unless you just skipped time? If that's the case, make it clearer. You just put the '...' but perhaps try an asterisk (*) or just say, "It was seven months later, and Lena was feeling stressed." Or something like that. Basically, clarify.

:arrow: Okay, since this is so long, I'm just going to summarize with everything else.

You're pace is going too quickly. One second she sees a ghost then she calls police and they come to tell her she's crazy and take away her kids and then she's eating yogurt and then she faints? This happens far too quickly, with not enough reaction. She was just called insane-- and she's not even fazed by it. She just eats a banana. Try to explore your scenes more, develop them before you move on so quickly.

And then, the whole sickeningly sweet thing with the male nurse is a tad unbelievable. :wink: Perhaps tone down the outrageous sunshiny happiness, ya?

She knew he would have believed her about the mirror apparition.

You're getting ahead of yourself. xD The mirror apparition hasn't happened yet.

And then she's suddenly queen...slow down, breathe deeply, and explain these things some more. Lena is bound to have question about this, and she's bound to be weirded out by all this stuff, don't you think? You have her taking in all these strange events like they're perfectly normal. She needs to react.

And then your ending was a tad confusing. Might want to clarify what actually was going on in the end-- was Lucas ever dead? Was Lena insane the whole time? Had she only dreamt it?

^^ Basically, revise so that your characters are reacting realistically and your pace slows down, and readers can tell what's going on. After that, you'll have a nice foundation for an interesting story!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 am
aslan_radish24 says...

thanks a lot for the great review. i know it wasnt my best work, but you really helped me narrow some things down. i would have really liked to make it longer, but i needed to have it finished for a class in like two days and i already had like eight pages, so i needed to speed through a little, as mush as i hated to. your review is the most helpful i have gotten on any of my stories, so i just want to thank you!
Hellodilly-odilly, there!
Enjoy your time in cyberspace, creatures of the dark.
Certain levels of hypocrisy (redbird gets it).

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief