z

Young Writers Society

Journeys

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 pm
Gazza_14 says...

The gargoylian flothrapis had died. The very last of its kind. A large mammal of the bird family, with four silver tipped wings and a beak that curved upwards. Regarded as a stupid, unlikable bird, it died of shame.
It had initially been found on Mars, after ignorant 21st century astronauts had actually decided to like inside the planet (idiots) and found twenty-nine million types of living organisms inside.
The gargoylian flothrapis's were shoved and poked into zoos all over the world. Obese children and American tourists flocked to touch them, stroke them, and try to make them smile. Soon however, the public adoration was to wane, as Uranus was opened up for the world to see. Finding Amelia Earheart gave everybody quite a shock.
I was ordered to bury it. Not why I joined the inter-planetary-squadron, to be honest. I wanted to find new planets and plant the flags, be handsome and dashing, and enjoy flings with beautiful aliens. Now I'm burying dead birds.
Though this, was no ordinary adventure. This was no merely a journey of space. This was a journey into discovery, into humans, into the very basis of our souls. Most importantly, a journey INTO THE UNKNOWN!
(Don't you love that media hooh-hah?)

What a great year to be alive. President. Terr of the American Empire announced France was to be sank, McDonalds developed the burger that makes you lose wait, Paris Hilton finally died.
I was in Grimsby at the time. It used to be part of Great Britain, but as we all know, Great Britain was forced to become part of the American Alliance in 2050. Big Ben was destroyed in favor of 'Bigger Ben, sponsored by Pepsi', King Charles was exiled, and the hell began.
Not that I'm complaining, we could have been invaded by the upcoming Canadian Empire (which frankly, would've been plain boring) and America were good to us. Fairly. They took all our wealth but proclaimed us a 'democracy'. ME.
2087 was also when Uranus was opened up. It was huge. Huge and beautiful sight I had ever seen.

TO BE CONTINUED.
He he, I really wrote this to have some fun. So, there's no need for a real serious, in depth critique if you don't want to.
Oh and by the way, in case there's a backlash. I'm not anti-American, I'm anti republican-America.
Stop. Look. Jive!

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:47 pm
Lilyy03 says...

A large mammal of the bird family

A mammal, by definition, is a member of the class of mammals. Birds have a separate class. I know it's sci-fi/humor, but if you're going to use current nomenclature...

Regarded as a stupid, unlikable bird, it died of shame.

I like this line--up till this point the tone was dry and scientific; saying it died of shame creates an interesting twist.

decided to like inside the planet

I'm not sure what "like inside the planet" means?

Though this, was no ordinary adventure.

I don't think you need a comma in that particular place.

This was no merely a journey of space.

I think it should be "not merely" or "no mere".

INTO THE UNKNOWN!
(Don't you love that media hooh-hah?)

Lol!! :D

makes you lose wait

Weight.

Paris Hilton finally died.

*cheers*

Overall, I found this piece very entertaining. :D I look forward to reading more.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed May 30, 2007 1:45 pm
SishBee says...

Haha! This brought a smile to my face after a long hour of revision... thank you. Anyway, I assume you mean 'They decided to LOOK inside the planet' rather than like. Anyway, I loved all the scientific names and I particularly enjoyed the part where Paris Hilton died... *sings hallelujah!*

~SishBee~
x
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary