z

Young Writers Society

To Steal Mine Own

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:36 pm
Trident says...

[This is just the beginning of a short story I'm working on. I plan to post more of it as I write it.]

Muriel sauntered across the ship’s metal-plated flooring in sandals, giddy, her arms filled with contraband Peruvian chocolates and a cabernet snuck in all the way from Bordeaux. These indulgences were merely short of impossible to obtain and even though she would have loved to see the faces of some of her more prosperous counterparts, the risk involved would have been too great. Her closest companions were never above pettiness and if she pushed too hard, they just might go looking for the first transport official on board.

The red and white plaid tablecloth was just another attempt at hominess, although to her taste, it was rather flat. But it was better than the standard gray tabletops this piece of junk for a starship fancied, so she said nothing. Jonathan, her man--for the moment anyway--sat with his perfect pearly whites staring her in the face. She smiled seductively, though a hint of contempt made its way into the creases of her forehead. Jonathan didn’t seem to notice.

Da da-da da, da da-da da. Muriel tried her best to hum some sexy little ditty. It was mostly for her benefit, but it looked like Jonathan didn’t mind; his head bobbed back and forth at each of her notes.

“I bring presents,” she said as she laid down the chocolates and wine on the table.

“Early Christmas?”

“Hardly,” Muriel replied. “I wouldn’t waste these on you. They’re my presents.”

“I’m glad to hear you care.” Jonathan grabbed the wine bottle and stared at it. Confounded, he picked at the cork with his fingers. “Now how do you expect us to get this off? The nearest corkscrew is at least a few hundred light-years away.”

Muriel chuckled lightly. “You’ll figure it out somehow.” She placed a bare foot on his lap and rubbed. She had also broken into the chocolates, which were in the process of being swiftly devoured. They were interrupted by the sound of static then a high-pitched beep.

“Another check of the warning system,” Muriel said with a sigh. “Keep on the bottle. There’s no need to worry.” She ate another chocolate. “I am rather tired of all these drills we’ve been having as of late.”

“Should we go to the deck?” Jonathan asked, but by the look on Muriel’s face he had already judged what she thought of that prospect.

A muddled voice came through the intercom this time, and then there was another period of static. It had an eerie feeling of silence to it.

“That’s never happened during the drills, Muriel. Perhaps we should take emergency precautions. This all sounds rather odd.”

“No!” she insisted, aggravated. “Give me that bottle!” She attempted to remove it with her nails, but had no more luck than Jonathan. “Don’t you have a knife or something?”

“Forget it. I already tried it. It’s impossible to dig it out of there.”

“Just give it to me.”

“Fine.” He dug in his pants and pulled out a pocket knife. Muriel undid it, pushed it into the cork, and forced it down until it caved into the bottle and the liquid within it.

“See,” she said with a smile and took a long pull.

Impressed, Jonathan reached for the bottle. He poured it into the plastic tumbler he had ready and sipped from it. Muriel reclaimed the bottle and continued to take large swigs.

“You are lovely, my lady,” Jonathan whispered, his voice slurred. Muriel continued to rub his lap with her foot. At least he was doing something right.

She remembered nothing else of the night, and when she woke uncomfortable and sore the next morning on the hard plated floor, Muriel found the wine bottle empty and the chocolates fully eaten. She left them, unconcerned now that they were expended. Now she just had to find Jonathan.
Last edited by Trident on Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Perception is everything.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:26 pm
nickelodeon says...

"But it was better than the standard gray tabletops this piece of junk for a starship fancied, so she said nothing"

this piece of junk for a starship. That's confusing. I pretty sure i understand what you mean, but i had to read it several times. Try to clarify that.

'She smiled seductively, though a hint of contempt made its way into the creases of her forehead."

I'm pretty sure you're forehead doesn't crease when you smile. Try it.

"She had also broken into the chocolates, which were in the process off being swiftly devoured until they were interrupted by the sound of static then a high-pitched beep."

That's a really long sentence. I had to read it a few times to understand. Maybe you could break it into two sentences?

Sounds like it could be a good story!
You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
-Michael Pritchard

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:03 am
Poor Imp says...

Hello Tri - I thought while I had a split-second, I could read something this brief and respond. ^_^

From the start - you have a beginning sentence that intrigues. I can see Muriel, for a moment, and 'sauntering' is only ever a descriptive way of saying 'walked'. ^_~

But then... you drop off.

These indulgences were merely short of impossible to obtain and even though she would have loved to see the faces of some of her more prosperous counterparts, the risk involved would have been too great. Her closest companions were never above pettiness and if she pushed too hard, they just might go looking for the first transport official on board.

First paragraph with sentences that long - not showing - but telling? What I've italicised, you've already implied with her enthusiasm. If it need be explicated, or shown more fully, let it be told slant, through Muriel or through other surroundings. Let us see it.

Even a memory, casting back to a direct experience of hers, will/can both introduce her companions (Johnathan, I assume?) and any others.

Jonathan, her man--for the moment anyway--sat with his perfect pearly whites staring her in the face.

Pearly-whites can stare? Incongruous image, to say the least. Perhaps if they 'confronted' her, the would be less at odds with their nature. ^_^

Da da-da da, da da-da da. Muriel tried her best to hum some sexy little ditty. It was mostly for her benefit, but it looked like Jonathan didn’t mind; his head bobbed back and forth at each of her notes.

Da-da-da caught my notice. Its description lost me entirely - oy, a sexy little ditty...? For her benefit?

This could be an amusing - even rather ironic or bleak instance of humour. If it were described from the outside. In that way, we'd see Muriel as somewhat pathetic, perhaps, pitiable - we could see the dynamic between the two and the lack of any real regard.

Give it some distance then? 'As if for her own benefit...'

“I bring presents,” she said as she laid down the chocolates and wine on the table.

“Early Christmas?”

“Hardly,” Muriel replied. “I wouldn’t waste these on you. They’re my presents.”

First bit sounds either 1) in fun/mocking or, 2) dull/prehistoric...? Then she speaks quite fluently and dryly. It stuck out to me...maybe a reaction on Johnathan's part would smooth it through.(?)

--

Out of time - I'm sorry. !_! In closing, you lacked tension from the start. It felt as if you began with some possible conflict, at least some possible - you've got smuggled/stolen goods, you've got a careless relationship, you've got at least two human beings out in space in bleak surroundings.

What's to draw us in?

For a short story, it's got to have more of a start, I think. It is only a beginning; but that's where short's sell.

...and I'll be back, to be more lucid, I hope. (Not to mention, I still have Arbiter's being critiqued and not quite finished. @_@"')

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:27 am
Trident says...

Much thanks, Imp. *Sigh* I've been in a bit of a slump these past few days, perhaps it's beginning to show in my writing. I'm unsure if this is worthy of a re-draft. By the time I was done with it, I fell away from my original intentions. I think I'll take a couple days off of homework and writing and relax. Perhaps I'll be refreshed as my brain is somewhat mushy over my Foundations for Literature exam.

As for Arbiters, I'm so very glad to have your input. After a few more revisions, drafts, and overhauls, I hope to send it out. But no rush, you're doing me a great favor after all. ;)
Perception is everything.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:16 am
Chairman says...

Not bad...but it wasn't really good though. I would like to see some more originality...

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin