z

Young Writers Society

DFTS

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon May 07, 2007 1:09 am
Trident says...

Thanks for the critiques.
Last edited by Trident on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Perception is everything.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 07, 2007 1:53 am
Poisoness says...

Lol i loved it! I was laughing the entire time! I like the arguments. they make me laugh. It's so random, who can read it and not laugh! i'm going to flip the switch right here next to me... and the light goes on! fascinating!

lol good job!
~Ella
"Don't give up what you want most for
what you want most at the moment!"

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue May 08, 2007 2:17 am
Sam says...

Hey, Trident!

A whole lot of ado about nothing...very Heller-esque. :wink: The voice was very funny, and the dialogue crisp and easy to understand- even without tags! *claps giddily*

Anyway, just two things to keep in mind:

- Even though I had a fairly painless time keeping the two characters straight, making them distinct through their dialogue is something you're going to want to keep in mind while you're editing. If there's an easier, quicker way to establish who wants to flip the switch and who thinks it's a bad idea at the beginning. That way, it's a pretty safe bet that you won't lose anyone.

-Describe a little more background/set description. It's really hard to put it in with dialogue, but when your characters move to different places, describe the new settings quickly and then proceed on with the yakking.

Overall- a very funny piece, Trident. I had a good time reading it, in any case. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

376 Reviews

Thu May 10, 2007 1:48 am
Trident says...

Ah, many thanks, Sam. I'm glad you liked it. I'll see what I can do with the things you mentioned; definitely worth looking at.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu May 10, 2007 5:41 am
cheeb says...

Mwahaha. I love it. I also love the name "Felix Phelicks".

It does feel a little like it belongs between other chapters (does it? If so I haven't read any, lol) but it still works nicely when alone. Nice work. =D
the user formerly known as chibibo

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 pm
Archae says...

Heheh, you know what they say! Curiousity killed the cat... although in this case, we will never know! :cry:

I liked it. The dialogue made me snigger, as well as the situation itself. Nothing torments me more than the unknown, and I imagine lots of readers are the same. Nice. ^_^ :arrow:
Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy... they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. -- To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

376 Reviews

Sat May 12, 2007 3:30 am
Trident says...

Many thanks Mattster and Archae. I'm fully pleased you enjoyed it.

It is meant to be a story that stands alone. But who knows? I think I have a nicely developed set of characters that I could possibly expand upon in the future.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sat May 12, 2007 3:56 am
Insomnia says...

I think you have a nicely developed set of characters that you should expand upon. ;) It was entertaining. I'll admit, I didn't actually laugh properly, but it is a very rare occurrence that I do. Piers Anthony, mainly lol.

I couldn't really find any flaws, so there's no point of this crit, but I'll tell you that it flowed way better than a lot of what I have read lately. Kept me in suspense. But now I wanna know... D:

-Mat

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat May 12, 2007 3:27 pm
luna_the_shiekah says...

This piece reminded me of the movie "The Great Race."

PUSH THE BUTTON MAX!

NOT THAT BUTTON!

Not exactly the best rendition but I vote you check it out in any case. Lovely story Trident! All that fuss over a switch xD
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
and I really don't want to
just call me shameless.

-Ani Di Franco "Shameless"

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Sat May 12, 2007 11:40 pm
sworddance says...

I love this :D
I was laughing during the whole exchange. I read Catch-22 just this last year, so it was especially entertaining to me, since you did do a great job of making it Heller-esque. Not much to critique here, very well done, but I thought I'd drop by and let you know I loved it. It's very much like the classic "push the red button" scene.
anyway, bei'theh!

~sworddance
Drummer, beat, and dancer, fly
The floods of war are crashing nigh
Raise the mountain, blade the fire
And woe to they who voked your ireā€¦
-----People do speak in semicolons; they just don't know it.------

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:13 am
View Likes
Poltergiest says...

That was hilarious!! I love dugger! It was well done and now I wish I knew what happens. I am wondering why you posted it in Si-Fi, it didn't seem to be set i the future.

Nevertheless... I thought it was really good, exept...
Now I have an irrisistable urge to go and tunr of the light, just for the sake of flipping a switch. Great story!

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:19 am
MadHatter says...

I really liked it. especially the cliffhanger ending. I really want to know what happens but that's what happens with good stories. That's what makes them even better.

~MadHatter~
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:06 pm
Rydia says...

Very nice little story here and to be honest, I would have flipped that switch too so good for Dugger.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

He who knows only his own generation remains forever a child.
— Cicero