z

Young Writers Society

Space Station 6

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:16 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Naturally this is a working project. I hope you enjoy it.

Prologue
New Shipyards Constructed
By Jorge Steven (Associated Galatic Press)

President Murphy christened the docks of the new Shipyards yesterday. The Friggetti yards are high tech additions to the booming Space Industry. The yards are expected to be able to construct five frigates sized vessels at any given time. Construction started today on the new hulls of the next generation of Warships..."

"...Built near the Abandoned Shipyards of the Antares corporation, the Friggetti corporation announced that it would begin salvaging metal from the abandoned yards to supply the Friggetti Fighter Construction Yard."

Copyright 2350 AD (Associated Galatic Press)

GAH! BEDTIME! Chapter One should follow
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:30 pm
ohhewwo says...

...really, really short, this entry. But, actually, you've sort of got me hooked already, and I'm not sure why.

But, keep going!!!

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:24 pm
Rei says...

Very rarely have I ever seen a news article this short other than in the freebies put out by the major newspapers. It might be more interesting if you made it longer.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:31 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I know, I need to add more detail, trust me. I'll look at it and see what I can come up with.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:13 am
Snoink says...

That's not true! I've seen many articles that short in the Wall Street Journal.

Not enough to comment on, but I haven't a clue where you're going with this. Consider that a compliment. However, realize that I don't particularly care either. News clippings straight off don't tend to attract the reader, simply because they have to adjust to the story after this typical newspaper clipping. Maybe find a better way to start it off?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:59 am
Wandwaver says...

A prologue should catch the reader's attention so that they are irrevocably lost in your world.

Here, basically, all you did was state that a new shipyard had been christened. You gave no mention as to it's importance it whatever struggle is to come, any opposition to it being built, what specific people said of it, etc. etc. It would be much, mcuh better, and much mroe gripping for good, if you made it a full length article a couple plages long.

However, like Ohhewwo said, I'm hooked. Let's see some more.
I am Sash Greenlea, Padawan Learner

Reviews: 2
Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:17 pm
mikedoro says...

Although mega-short who's caring?! I'm sure more will follow (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!) and even though there is no plot suggested, that's the catch. You want to know what will follow, war, peace, love, average daily life? I think for a couple lines this is very captivating and I want to see more!

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:32 am
Nutter says...

I have to say, It has really great potential, and you could do quite a lot. Infact, your possibilities are really endless when using space in a story. Anything can happen really. It's as diverse as magic can be in a fantasy universe.
Anyway, I digress. It could do with more to it basically :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:45 pm
McKnight says...

I have to agree with the rest here, you have to keep going. It is quite odd that you started off with that short of an article, but just that seems to have me hooked to read more.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:32 pm
Zentillius says...

Okay. It has been two months. I believe that you should have at least begun to continue it after your halted progress because of bed time.

People are awaiting impatiently and I suggest that you should add the next installment soon or there shall be an angry pack of gorillas let loose upon your computer.
What man may proclaim himself man if he has not yet made the world better?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:16 am
zelithon says...

Very science fictiony. :)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 am
Jessie Hartman says...

I'm anxious to see where this goes. I would try to branch out from the typical futuristic sci-fi that's already been done fifty-million times by other people. It's more enjoyable if we haven't seen it before.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:45 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I've decided to shelve this project until further notice. It needs more planning.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)