Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:35 am
GryphonFledgling says...

12/11/07

070 – Storm

THE WASHINGTON POST
April 21

GE SOLDIERS TO BE UNLEASHED
- Mark Crete

Man’s best friend just got a whole lot better.
Howland Industry’s Genetic facility has finally lifted the curtain on their soldier project: the Homo Canis, affectionately known as Mutts.

Although predominantly human and canine genes, the Mutts’ genetic make up also includes genes of chimpanzee, monitor lizard and a few species of bird among other things. The result is a myriad of natural abilities that far surpass those of humans.

Yet this is the new generation of genetic engineering. Unlike previous mod (technical slang for ‘modified’) experiments, Mutts do not show many outward signs of their modifications. They are fairly intelligent and appear to be a well-built human, albeit a hairy one.

It is the insides that make these mods different. Their body temperature is lower and their heart beats are slower than a natural mammal of comparative size. “They are able to remain almost motionless for long periods of time,” says Richard Howland, founder and CEO of Howland Industry, “then they can go right into action with no warming up.”

The Mutts can withstand more extreme temperatures than any human. They can jump higher, run faster, carry more. They have better eyesight, hearing and smell, and they are fully mature at six years old.

The soldier of the future is here today.

---

THE FLATBURG SUN
Editorial Page May 2

In this war-torn world, it seems that some have no scruples in their methods of slaughtering one another. If atom bombs, nerve and BZ gas weren’t bad enough as biological weapons, now we have to create innocent creatures to serve as cannon fodder for us so that we don’t have to finish the dirty-work we started. Why are mods treated like animals when real animals are treated better than us? It seems that the human race is just like a spoiled child. Because something is out creation, we can treat it however we want. May we all be glad that our own Creator doesn’t think like that.
- Lucy Hellton
Last edited by GryphonFledgling on Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:16 am
Teh Wozzinator says...

Wow!! I really liked this. You sound like a good journalist! Haha, this was my favorite chapter, because I finally figured out what the Mutts were!! (Although I had a similar idea of them anyways....) I really like how this story is moving along, and I can't wait to get to part 100!!!!! Keep up the good work. If you want a long review, go look at Mutts 6.... But one thing is: can you rate this? Lol...it's easier to follow if it's rated because then it shows up on the home page, and I know it's up. But I hope it's not rated R ever...hmm.

Lol...I'll quit bugging you now. I really like the story though. This is definitely in my top ten stories on the site--probably top five, and it might tie in for number three. lol!

Keep writing!!!!

Teh Wozzinator
Go K-State for North Division!!

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Thanks for the note. I couldn't figure out why it hadn't shown up on the front page. I knew I had forgotten to rate it, but I didn't connect the two. Thanks for that...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hey, hon. Here's another one.

:D

Ta,
Cal.

Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory