z

Young Writers Society

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall (Edited)

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:35 pm
Conrad Rice says...

You'll need to read my story "And All This But Mere Perceptions to understand a few things here. I wrote this story because I used something called "gene candy" in that previous story and someone wanted to know a little more about it. And, in a way, so did I. By the way, this story is rated R for sex, in case you were wondering.

He opened up the bag and poured its contents out onto the table. Four syringes clattered on the faded yellow plastic. One fell off the table and landed on the floor, needle end impaled in the carpet. He picked it up gingerly and placed it back on the table with the others. Four syringes, all full of gene candy. Four, enough to make things interesting.
He was not addicted, he told himself that over and over again. Attracted to it? Oh sure, that was a truth. He was fascinated by it, entranced by the effects it had upon the human body. But addicted? No, that was too rare, too difficult to happen to him. He was fine. A little socially isolated perhaps, but still perfectly normal. Only those with really addled minds got addicted to gene candy. And with the amazing psychological therapies these days, even the addled didn't stay that way for long.
Today's sequence was river otter. It wasn't his absolute favorite. That honor belonged to the grey wolf sequence. The wild eyes, the sleek power, they kept him coming back. Sadly though, the resident sequence peddlers, or "candymen", as they liked to refer to themselves, had been fresh out of grey wolf, and would not have anymore in soon enough. He guessed that was alright. Part of the thrill of gene candy was discovery; anticipation of a new sequence, wonder at exploring its possibilities.
He picked up one of the syringes and walked into the living room. It was best to have plenty of space available when taking gene candy. Sometimes a sequence might add mass or extra appendages, and garden variety cheapos were the most likely to do just that. If he was richer, pulling in just a little more bank, then he could have afforded party flavors and tailored sequences that minimized the amount of added mass or allowed the user to keep a somewhat human torso. But he wasn't doing that well. Pushing numbers in the dark inner pit of a monorail station wasn't going to give his lifestyle that kind of improvement anytime soon. At least it allowed him this house. And that ever steady supply of gene candy as well. He only needed enough to ensure his happiness. Anything else was too much.
He walked over to the door and locked it. Then he went about the long process of drawing all the blinds and closing all the shades in his little house. It would do no good for the entire neighborhood to get a glimpse of what he was up to. While the use of gene candy was not illegal, quite a few circles frowned upon it. Some, like the Church of Human Purity, that pillar of 'ethics' and 'humanity', did a lot more than simply frown. He had no desire to bring that kind of attention upon himself. He was nobody, and preferred to keep it that way.
Once he was fairly certain he would have no audience, he went over to the couch. It was a sad, tired thing, its supports worn down by years of use. His weight descended upon it swiftly, and it let out a bitter creak of protest. He ignored it, instead stripping down to his boxers. Now he turned his attention to the syringe nestled in the palm of his hand. For a moment all the anticipation caught up to him and his gaze was quite transfixed upon that syringe. It and the blue liquid within it was all the universe he knew. Then, with clinical slowness, he brought the syringe up to his arm and pushed the needle into his vein. It stung, but how sweet indeed was that sting. He pushed down on the syringe and watched as the blue, form-altering liquid left it and entered his body.
The changes began to take effect almost immediately. His skin began to itch as his hair began to slowly grow. He threw the syringe away. It hit the wall with a thud and fell to the floor. He didn't care. Its purpose, to deliver the wonderful gene candy into his body, and been served. Now it was useless and passed from his mind altogether. The itch became stronger and deeper, twisting its roots down into his very bones. He forced himself to remain still, to ignore the urge to scratch. Everything was delicate at this stage. Any wound now could cause severe and unfixable scarring when all was said and done.
The changes brought about by the sequence began to speed up. His hair became thick fur. The bones in his hands and face shifted as they stretched out. The tips of his fingers and toes screamed in sudden pain as claws erupted from them. The base of his spine did the same as he felt a tail grow out of his boxers through the specially cut hole in them. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of pain, it all left him. The conversion sequence was over. He stood up slowly, allowing himself to adjust to his new body. It was not that much of a stretch from a grey wolf; both were carnivores at least. But instead of wild power, there was a quirky curiosity. Not his personal preference, but in its own way it was enjoyable.
He took a few experimental steps. His new toe-claws clacked on the wood floor. All was well there. He could move around without slamming into things or wincing with pain every step, which was very good. Sometimes the gene candy got fouled up in the manufacture process. Sometimes a chromosome or two got misplaced, or a genotype became slightly tainted. Usually mild discomfort was the worst of that though. And in any case, he was fine now.
He made his way towards the bathroom. His house had a smell now. It was more of one than just the bacon and eggs he had for breakfast, or the pile of dirty clothes in the hallway. It was a "scent." But it was not a completely alien thing to him. He'd smelled it before when he'd taken the grey wolf sequence here. The only noticeable difference was that the otter came with a stronger pull to check things out. He had to tug a little bit to prevent himself from letting the animal instincts take over. That was the one side effect of gene candy that even the rich could not iron out. The instincts of the base animal would always carry over into the conversion sequence. Some liked this more than others. He didn’t mind them. In fact, he kind of enjoyed the alien desires they brought with them. They were much better than the responsibilities that humanity brought with it.
He opened the bathroom door and looked in the full length mirror on the opposite wall. As far as appearances went, the gene sequence had indeed worked. He appeared to be a humanoid otter, complete with a shiny coat; exactly what the "candyman" had said would happen. He twitched his nose a bit, and saw his new whiskers twitch too. This pleased him. It was a delightful little quirk, the way his muzzle moved. Different from the grey wolf, but in a good way.
He walked out of the bathroom and shut the door behind him. He returned to the living room. Leaving this house was not going to be possible for the next day or so. Doubtlessly there would be ways to keep himself occupied. Perhaps he could call up Claudia, his latest piece of eye candy. She had always been up for romps of this sort before. He thought she might be very pleased with the otter sequence. Very pleased indeed.
As he walked towards the phone, he spied something on the couch. It's needle sharp point glistened in the artificial light. The blue liquid within gave off a faint glow. It was a syringe, very much like the one that he had just used.
At first he was scared. Then he shook his head and started to calm himself down. I'm being paranoid, he told himself. That's not the syringe I used. That's one of the others. I must have picked two up for some reason. He smiled at his sudden jump to conclusions. He picked up the phone and dialed Claudia's number. As he turned to put it to his ear, he noticed the kitchen table. Or more specifically, what was on it. Three syringes full of river otter gene candy, the exact number that he had left in the kitchen.
He hung up the phone before it could even start dialing. His eyes darted from the table to the couch. The one syringe was still there. He turned back to the table. The three syringes were still there. A certain weakness entered his legs and he sat down, sprawled out in confusion on the living room floor. This was impossible. He had taken the gene candy, he was sure of it. Had he not felt the change sweep over him? And even if that wasn't proof enough, one look at his furry, clawed hand was enough to chase away any doubt of that. So what was going on?
He crawled on all fours towards the couch like the very thing he resembled. He stared at the syringe. Once again, the syringe was all the universe he knew. This perplexing thing, once the giver of pleasure, was now the giver of puzzles. One hand reached out to touch it. As his fingers closed around it, the needle end jabbed into his skin. He let out a squeak of pain and pulled his hand back. Then he shook himself. It was nothing, just a minor breaking of the skin. So why did it frighten him so?
He reached out and took the syringe again. He brought it closer to his face. He examined it with a wild eye, searching for some explanation of these strange events in the very nexus of them. But as he turned it over in his hand, he was hit with another shock. His hand was smooth and hairless again, as though he had never taken the gene candy. A lump formed in his throat and he tried to swallow it down. It dissipated, but his hands remained as original as the day he was born.
This had never happened before. Sequences were supposed to keep their effects for at least a few days, and then gradually fade away. That was how it had always happened. He should know, he’d taken enough gene candy to be considered an expert. He should still be an otter, he still needed to be. He hadn’t gotten near enough satisfaction from it yet.
He got to his feet, legs shaking from shock and fear. They carried him, stumbling, to the bathroom. He put all his weight on the door as he opened it. It struck the wall with a loud thud, threatening to knock the mirror off the wall. As it trembled from the tremor he got an all too good look at himself, minus the effects of the gene candy, in his boxers.
His skin began to feel cold and clammy. He slammed his fist into the wall in some vain, thoughtless effort to wake himself up, to drive this nightmare away. This time the mirror did become dislodged. It fell to the floor and hit it with its edge. Pieces shattered and scattered onto the tile before him, casting what was before them in hideous light.
He was barely breathing now as he saw what was reflected in them. No one image was in the same two shards. One still showed him as he had always been. Another showed him as he had appeared minutes ago. And another showed a river otter, devoid of any trace of humanity. And still another showed him under the effects of a grey wolf sequence. Another still yet displayed him stuck full of syringes, like a ghastly artificial porcupine.
On and on without repetition or end he saw himself reflected in changed and hideous light, tainted by the images the shattered glass revealed. All the myriad avenues judged by his mind as insanity and yet not too far removed from possibility. All so close to being reality, so close to being what was, instead of what might be. But how to know which was which now? The thought added to his fright.
He fell to his knees, slicing one of them open on a shard of the accursed mirror. He flinched at the sharp pain and growled; a deep guttural noise from the back of his throat. He sniffed the air without even thinking. A scent came up, registered itself as his blood, and was filed away for future reference with a sort of quirky mannerism. He stopped cold, the realization of what he had just done hitting him in the gut. The animal instincts were still there, still abiding in the background.
He held his hand up. It was furry again. He looked at the shards of the mirror. They were not there to be seen. Slowly he looked up at the wall. By some evil trick, some impossible sleight of hand by the magician of the cosmos, it hung on the wall as it always had. But it was still fractured, still showing it's menagerie of images in every facet, like a twisted diamond.
This shouldn’t be happening. He was normal; his mind was clean, wasn’t it? This only happened to the people who had something fundamentally wrong with them. Why was this happening? Had the “candyman” sold him a bad sequence? No, that wasn’t it. Sequences only affected the DNA, not the mind.
He tried to back away, tried to stand up, succeeded only in falling flat on his tail, quite literally. One hand he held up, trying to shield his eyes from this strange vision, trying to keep it from rushing into his mind and overwhelming him. At last he was able to look away from the accursed mirror. And as he looked, two otters scampered from the kitchen into the living room.
He trembled, pulled back for a moment, afraid of more. He knew that he should not go down there, should not see just where the otters had run to. But in the end, his body rose as though he were not in control anymore, and was merely a puppet on strings, a plaything for some child god. He took it one step at a time. And each step bore him closer and closer to something which he knew he would never be able to turn from. And yet, still he pressed on. As do all of us. As do the best of us.
He rounded the corner and looked into the living room. And what he saw there touched the dark corners of his mind harsher than anything else thus far. Claudia was lying upon the couch, though he had not heard the door open or her call his name, legs sprawled in a sensual pose beneath a blanket. All around her a pack of otters moved in sleek serenity, tumbling and rolling in anticipation of something. He opened his mouth to speak, and found that all that came out was a squeak.
Something moved and the blanket fell away as Claudia moaned with content. An otter that was bigger than the rest writhed in rhythm with her naked body. It squealed, she moaned, and they heaved in the carnal struggle. Her breathing quickened and the otter’s thrusts became more urgent. It squealed and she screamed in pleasure and pain as they gave that final shudder. He fell to his knees again, the claws of madness grasping his mind in their pitiless clutches.
Claudia seemed to notice him. She turned away from her animal lover towards him and he saw that her eyes were black, black as night, black as coal. Then, in the breath of a moment, she and the cavorting otters were gone. And in their place was something even blacker than her eyes had been. A shadow robed in a void, or so it seemed to be. It flowed in place before him, staring at him with a blank abyss for a face. His arms hung limp at his sides and his eyes stared dumbly ahead, struck that way by terror. And yet, from his lips escaped one final question.
"What are you?"
The dark figure moved and billowed on the couch, stretching itself out to the bounds of the living room, and then beyond them in a motion that broke all the laws of physics and reality. Then, with a whisper and a scream, it gave him an answer.
"I am a Thing Other than you."
Last edited by Conrad Rice on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 am
JFW1415 says...

I did read (and critique) And All This But Mere Perceptions, and then I skimmed it just now, but if I forget anything please don't yell?

The promised (late) critique.

Nit-Picks

appendages, and these

Those?

I hate you. :( That was my only one! haha XD

Overall Comments

O.o

Wow. I seriously loved this; I couldn't put it down (well... I couldn't stop looking at the screen. XD). I only have two comments, and even those can be ignored.

Atmosphere

I think I constantly ramble about this to you, hmmm? XD

What are the things you first notice when entering a room? Let's see: lighting, color tone (cool vs. warm colors on walls,) temperature, indoors or outdoors, noise, occupants (animals, people, nature, etc.)

That's what I mean. Set yourself up – determine the quiet hall and the crowded lobby – and then let the story unravel without needing details. As long as we get the general feel of a room, we'll decide if that coat rack is behind the desk or in the corner. :)

History

The characters have histories with each other, but they don't seem to have them with themselves. What's he like? What's he do? How's he feel about things? Sure, he feels real right now, but it feels like he was just born as a… twenty-something? year old.

Last Notes

Dude, I love your writing. Anytime you want a critique, PM me or leave a line in my thread, even if I say it's closed. I freakin' love your stuff.

And, obviously *gold star.*

~JFW1415

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:04 am
Syte says...

I haven't read "And All This But Mere Perceptions", but I'll tell you what I think and what I understand.

had been fresh out of grey wolf, and would not have anymore in soon enough
Is this right? I don't think so. Take away the "in."

and if he ripped a pair of boxers, that was no great loss.

I thought the gene candy idea was enough of a premise for one story, but you threw in some things that I didn't understand. I thought the story would be about a neat medicine that allows you to take the form of anthromorphic animals, but it became really bizarre at the end. I'd probably understand the story better if I had read the earlier short story. I hope you continue this story, otherwise the reader is just going to put down the story feeling confused.

EDIT: I should have mentioned this earlier, but the story was really unique. I liked the idea, and I hope you continue wiiting more of this series.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:08 am
BigBadBear says...

Hey.

I was instantly intrigued by this story. At first, I thought it was going to be a druggie story, but I was proved wrong. But… I didn’t like the fact that I was proved wrong. He turned himself into an otter.

An otter.

Sure, it’s original. Sure, I want to read more about what’s going to happen. But an otter. Out of all the animals in the world, how did you manage to come up with an otter? It’s really quite sarcastic.

Anyway, I loved the way that you wrote this piece. It’s very maturely done. I found like… four things in the line-by-line attachment below, which makes me feel like a loser. The ending bit confused me for a second. I guess it was because he was so high on the drug that he kinda… went all high-ish and stuff. Which makes sense, considering…

Anyway. If you post any more, please contact me. J

-Jared
Attachments
Otter (1).doc
(33 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:40 pm
Kylan says...

Conrad -

I liked this. Gene candy is an interesting concept, although I don't see how it would ever work in reality. So I've gottat say that when you're writing science fiction, there is some kind of scientific truth that should be included. Otherwise, it wouldn't be science fiction anymore. It would be more along the lines of fantasy. If I were you I'd head to the nearest bookstore and pick up something by Michael Crichton, preferably Sphere or Timeline. Mr. Crichton is very good at including real science in his stories, even if it is somewhat watered down.

However, if you chose not to back the concept up with gene candy, you'll still have a pretty good story on your hands.

[It Builds Character]

One thing I found somewhat lacking, was any real characterization. Unless you're planning on extending this, your main character is pretty boring. He's all movement and flash and action. There's no reality to him. He doesn't have any particular quirks or a unique personality. This may be in part due to the lack of dialogue. It's been said that eyes are the wndows into the human soul. For us, as writers, dialogue is the window into the soul of the character. If at all possible, spice this guy up (does he even have a name?) with some dialogue.

If you need any tips or tricks on building more sophisticated characters talk to Suzanne or Sam. They are the character godesses

[And There Was a Cobweb with a Spider in the Corner of the Room]

Another thing I noticed was that at times, you tend to overdescribe a tad. You include to many details, you track too much of the character's movements, and you don't give enough space for the imagination. For instance:

As he walked towards the phone, he spied something on the couch. [s]That something made him stop right in his tracks. His blood ran a little cold and all of his considerable fur felt like it was standing on end. The object barely left an indent in the couch, it had no weight. [/s]It's needle sharp point glistened in the artificial light. The blue liquid within gave off a faint glow. It was a syringe, very much like the one that he had just used.

You could easily shorten this. Since you're writing a faster paced story, I would cut back on the specifity. Build the tension, but build it using emotion, not description. Savvy? I could point out a couple more places where you fall into the trap of overwriting, but I trust you to pick out those parts yourself.

Bottom line: when you're writing action, make it lean.

[Miscellaneous]

his latest piece of eye candy

Great line.

oh so wonderful gene candy

They way you word this doesn't match how you've been writing the rest of the piece. If you ask me, cut the "oh so". You can do better than that.

"I am a Thing Other than you."

Whaaa? I hope this means that there is a sequel pending, because otherwise this makes absolutely no sense, even if he is as high as a kite.

Anyway, good work. I like your style.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 am
Sam says...

Conrad!

Ooh, a very intriguing story indeed. Have you read Rant by Chuck Palahniuk? The gene candy kind of reminded me of that society--it's a good read, if you haven't. ^_~

I've seen dudes turn into wolves before, but never quite in this fashion, so you win points for originality. The whole thing kept itself very serene and realistic, which is definitely a good thing when you're working in a sci-fi or fantasy setting. The worst thing that can happen in these genres is the author himself not taking his world seriously--but here, you've got something you're convinced about.

OUT OF FOCUS

I think the main character problem in this story is that you're focused on your main character at this moment. He doesn't really have a past, and he doesn't have a future beyond the turning-into-a-wolf business. In action flicks, this is no big deal because you have all sorts of fun special effects and gunfights to distract yourself. Here, all you have is some unpleasant side effects and an otter orgy. When you have an essentially character-driven story, it's important to develop all of the character, and not just the here-and-now.

I felt sort of the same way when reading another of your pieces--you did a good job of portraying characters, but they didn't feel like real people to me because they existed only at a specific point in time. In order to flesh them out, it's important to give them emotional baggage, hopes, dreams, regrets, memories, all of that good stuff. And in order for the reader to see it, it has to impact the way they act, and (naturally) you have to mention it somewhere in the story.

MADE YOU LOOK

At the beginning, when you said SEX!, I was eagerly reading along like the teenager I am, looking for some smut. I may have found some, but...I'm not really sure. Was it near the end? Uhm...

I'm the Queen of Vague myself, but it's important when you're writing something (especially endings) that can get tangled up to say things in no uncertain terms. Tell it like it is. What's going on? And why? Devote the same care and attention to the drug-dosing process at the beginning to the otter-tastic ending. That way, it doesn't feel like there's some sort of gaping hole in the plotline.

__

Thanks for the read, Conrad! Let me know if you have any questions. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:35 am
Reason Invalid says...

Okay, nitpicks first:

Doubtlessly there would be ways to keep himself occupied.

There should be a comma after 'doubtlessly'.

It's needle sharp point glistened in the artificial light.

It should be 'its'.

He reached out and took the syringe again. He brought it closer to his face. He examined it with a wild eye, searching for some explanation of these strange events in the very nexus of them. But as he turned it over in his hand, he was hit with another shock. His hand was smooth and hairless again, as though he had never taken the gene candy.

I don't know, starting the sentences with 'he this' and 'he that' got a bit tiresome after a while. So consider changing that. :)

All the myriad avenues judged by his mind as insanity and yet not too far removed from possibility.

Awesome sentence.

He stopped cold,

I think the comma should be a semicolon.

~~~

I think you can fix up the little grammar things as you proofread it. :) But as for the story itself:

Yes, as mentioned in the above comments, your idea is rather original; transformation as a drug. Now that you have explained its effects, why don't you tell the reader a bit more about why or maybe how it was invented? I don't know, the entire process seemed to beg for clarification. I loved the fact you described the agony and other emotions the user of the 'candy' goes through, but now I wonder why the candy was there in the first place. In simpler terms: explain the candy in another perspective, not just in the eyes of the user.

You were very detailed with your descriptions. It was a phenomenal approach you used to describe this entire transformation process. Though, after a while, it felt a little bit tiresome. It got somewhat old with explaining merely the main character's emotions, fear, and whatnot. Perhaps the change the perspective a bit.

I guess that's all the tips I could give you. Awesome job. :)
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

Reviews: 3
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:53 pm
tetris101 says...

wow. AWESOME!!!!!
That was a cool story. I loooooooooooved it!!!!!![/flash]

The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.
— Richard Price