Mutts - Days

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:28 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

5/19/08

007 – Days

January 25, 2086

I got an 89 on my Algebra test today. Mrs. Todd says there was going to be a five point curve, but everyone did well enough without it. I wish she had kept it. It would have been my first A this year. I swear, the first A I get, I am going to frame and hang up over my bed. Mom and Dad would freak out when they got home.
---
January 26, 2086

Ashley was arrested today. They came right into the classroom and dragged her off. I won twenty bucks in a bet with Jack. I told him they’d find out about her. She’s been selling dope behind the dumpster for three months.
---
January 28, 2086

I got a phone call from Mom today. I was at school, so she left a message. She still doesn’t remember about the time zone thing. It was all scratchy and I could barely hear some of it, but it was nice to hear from her.
---
January 29, 2086

I’ve got a few minutes before school. The new bus driver is probably lost again. Our school still hasn’t bought the smart buses.

I miss Mom and Dad. I really do. I remember when they first were called up. I though it was unfair, that I was the only kid in the neighborhood to have both my parents drafted. It’s ‘cause Susan was legally an adult and I’m only a year away. I feel bad for Susan. She has to wait a year to start college because of me. If Mom hadn’t signed up for the reserves, this wouldn’t have happened.

Bus is here. Gotta go.
---
February 2, 2086
Michael asked me to the Valentine’s Day Dance!
---
February 3, 2086

I just wish everyone would stop fighting. With the war, the kids at school, and me and Susan, I just feel like we’re all going to tear ourselves apart.

Later…

Susan’s got a stomach bug and is throwing up in the bathroom. I feel bad for yelling at her earlier. I guess I’ll make dinner tonight. Too bad she can’t eat it. Hopefully Dad will call tonight.

-----

Journaling from the point of view of a character is quite interesting. You have to put enough information into the entry to tell a story, whereas in my own journaling, it is usually just blah. If anyone read my journal, they wouldn't be able to tell a story, but they'd have a lot of randomness. I very rarely write about what has happened in my day in my journal, so this was a strange exercise for me.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:42 pm
Kylan says...

Hello!

I've never been a fan of journal entry stories. They're too real for me. They're too human. If I want to see something real and human I'll look in the mirror, but I don't need those qualities in my fiction, you know? (In fact, I don't even keep a journal for this reason)

I'm not critisizing this, I'm critisizing the style.

But regardless of my inhibitions, I found this interesting. You're doing a good job of setting up your Mutts world, though I haven't read more than one or two pieces. The only thing I would ask for in this, is a little more literary style. A little more flair. Describe a tad more, even if it may not be what a normal teenage girl would journal. Of course, this is just a personal preference and this piece wouldn't suffer at all if you just left it the way it is.

I swear, the first A I get, I am going to frame and hang up over my bed.

The commas don't look right. Also, consider contracting I and Am.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:41 am
mikedb1492 says...

These are getting better and better. I have to disagree with Kylan (not with his review, but about the style). I love these journal things since it is more real (Basically, I like it for the same reason Kylan dislikes it), and the affect of the world your creating becomes even more real when told from the perspective of someone's journal.

I swear, the first A I get, I am going to frame and hang up over my bed.

Here's where I agree with Kylan. I'm not sure if this is right. Maybe to avoid confusion you could phrase it as:
I swear, the first A I get will be framed up above my bed.

I also like how you threw in some things that may not partake in your story's theme, but helps make this seam like a genuine journal. Overall, good job.
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)