z

Young Writers Society

PSA

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 am
BarrettBenedict says...

In the event of a continuum quake the first and most important rule is to panic without abandon. The more coherent you are, the more devastating the effects will be. It is recommended that you locate the nearest firearm and fire it wildly at random. If you are not in possession of a firearm, or any type of explosive device, a good suggestion is to wait for matter to lose its consistency, and then use the opportunity to walk through the walls of your local armory or sporting good store and loot the place aggressively.

If you happen to fall through the Earth then you should try to aim for lava pools as you’re tossed back and forth over the gravitational hub of the planet. This is to ensure that your death is quicker and less strenuous than a simple suffocation under miles of dirt, once the spatio-temporal wave makes up its mind again.

In the event of level best time dilation you should take note to grab hold of any perishables and/or loved ones, or even just someone who’s ok in your book and happens to be nearby, and hold as tight as possible. This will nullify any sudden and catastrophic subjective age gaps.

Lobe looting is strictly prohibited in this universe and stowaways will be jettisoned without hesitation or mercy. Last rites are not an option, as a good Christian shouldn’t be hijacking another person’s brain in the first place.

If you find yourself in an alternate carbon based universe that is unfamiliar, you should seek out your alternate self, kill him/her, and take his/her place, as the chances of returning to your own universe are dictated by Planck measurements (i.e. slim as to be nonexistent). Be aware that your alternate self has most likely been taught all the same self-defense techniques that you were taught to fend off aggressive alternate selves. Always be mindful, as a responsible citizen you should be keeping track of any twins you have, and so if you happen to meet yourself on the street, strike first. This too, they have most likely been taught.

If you find yourself in a non-carbon based universe then you are probably already dead or inside-out, or you’ve introduced foreign molecules into a balanced system and upset the equilibrium causing the universe to implode. Whatever the case, this scenario is one of certain death, and really no advice can help you at this point. There is one exception to this rule, and that is if you find yourself in an alternate non-carbon based universe of the dead. If you find yourself here, you’re best possible course of action is to die as soon as possible, and then find a job, become a useful member of society, perhaps even elope.

If up becomes down and down becomes up SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. This can be in either a building, or a vehicle, any type of ceiling will greatly improve your chances of survival. If it is inside a building then you should remember to turn off all the ceiling fans. Also note that on occasion left will become right and right will become a new direction, known as ‘glorm’. It is highly recommended that you avoid at all costs maneuvers going ‘glorm’. Scientists have been working to discover where ‘glorm’ comes from, and where right goes during this phenomenon. The accepted theory at this point is that beings that dwell in the 4th dimension can be cheeky bastards.

This has been a Public Service Announcement from the offices of The Federal Quantum Safety Bureau, have a nice week, that is, unless you are stuck in a time loop and reliving the same day over and over again. Keep an eye out for the very first time-loop safety manual to ever be printed, on shelves tomorrow! It will tell you everything you need to know to break free from what we can only sympathize must be a personal hell.

FQSB
"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment. -Robert Anton Wilson

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:55 am
Master_Yoda says...

BarrettBenedict, you write wonderfully!

Your writing is both sophisticated as well as humorous. Your style is both unique and intriguing. I can only make a couple of suggestions, so here goes:

a good suggestion is to wait for matter to lose its consistency

This is a little clumsy. Perhaps you want to try, "you would do well to wait for matter to lose its consistency.

This is to ensure that your death is quicker and less strenuous than a simple suffocation under miles of dirt, once the spatio-temporal wave makes up its mind again.

Perhaps this would read better: "This is to ensure that your death is quick, and less strenuous than the far more uncomfortable scenario in which you suffocate under tonnes of dirt once the spatio-temporal wave stabilizes again.

or even just someone who’s ok in your book and happens to be nearby

Perhaps, "or in a more desperate instance, someone who is at least bearable in your book and happens to be nearby,"

If it is inside a building then you should remember to turn off all the ceiling fans.

This line is classic. :lol:

It will tell you everything you need to know to break free from what we can only sympathize must be a personal hell

This might read funnier if you replaced "sympathize" with "assume".

What a great piece. Oh it is so entertaining.
Have a good one! :)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Eliza:) says...

There aren't many things that need to be corrected in your story.

In the event of a continuum quake the first and most important rule is to panic without abandon.

The sentence doesn't make sense. You're suppose to panic without abandon?

If you are not in possession of a firearm, or any type of explosive device, a good suggestion is to wait for matter to lose its consistency, and then use the opportunity to walk through the walls of your local armory or sporting good store and loot the place aggressively.

So you need to wait for matter to lose its consistency to loot the place?

Lobe looting is strictly prohibited in this universe and stowaways will be jettisoned without hesitation or mercy.

Hesitation and mercy.

Your story is hilarious. Unlike many stories, there are parts that are very original. Keep on writing. :D
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:56 pm
mark_gg_daniels says...

hey

really like that. Just reading the hitchikers guide and your work has a similar feel to the legendary book. I assume you are a fan?

Very funny so continue!

oh wow, just joined this website and am amazed by the quality of the work from very young people!

good work guys
'Lets Dance'

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 pm
mark_gg_daniels says...

oop, maybe a little patronising as didnt realsie you were 20.... still good work though!
'Lets Dance'

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm
BarrettBenedict says...

No biggie, I appreciate the Hitchhiker's Guide comparison. I get that a lot. Probably because I love absuridty and imagination, and it usually takes the form of science fiction, because well, I'm also a huge nerd and damn proud of it.
"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment. -Robert Anton Wilson

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun May 10, 2009 12:26 am
elijah1 says...

Oh my, thank you so much for the warning.
I was so worried about something like this happening, but now I feel prepared!

In the event of a continuum quake the first and most important rule is to panic without abandon.

Haha... good beginning.

In the event of a continuum quake the first and most important rule is to panic without abandon. The more coherent you are, the more devastating the effects will be. It is recommended that you locate the nearest firearm and fire it wildly at random. If you are not in possession of a firearm, or any type of explosive device, a good suggestion is to wait for matter to lose its consistency, and then use the opportunity to walk through the walls of your local armory or sporting good store and loot the place aggressively.

This is awesome.

you’re best possible course of action is to die as soon as possible, and then find a job, become a useful member of society, perhaps even elope.

Pure awesomeness.

if it is inside a building then you should remember to turn off all the ceiling fans.

Ha, where do you get your ideas?

Wow. I rarely say this, but... I couldn't find anything wrong with this piece.

This should be published, (for everyone's safety, of course).
If you have a horror story on YWS, feel free to PM me.
If you would like me to critique it, say so.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04 pm
asxz says...

Go nerds! This was amazing. Couldn't imagine reading it as a book, like the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. My brain might explode, but as a warning poster this was very good. You remind me of this guy that I used to have hard out Quantum-Relativity conversations with at lunchtime. I think my friends would leave somewhere, saying that they would rather kill themselves than listen to it. One of us would respond with 'well, if you want it donee quick, don't jump off a really high building, or else you might trigger a relative effect and end up taking years (presuming they could travel as fast) or blow up and engluf the earth by reaching the speed of light."

You've inspired me. Much better than you other recent piece I think.
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

I know history. There are many names in history, but none of them are ours.
— Richard Siken