z

Young Writers Society

The Chronograph

Reviews: 4
Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:23 am
Etain says...

They were dead. They were all dead.

His hands shook, making the printout all but impossible to read. What had he done? What will he do?

Conley walked back into the room. She was holding a clipboard and didn’t even bother glancing at him. “Another interview later today,” she said. “At four.” She glanced up, flashing a mischievous smile. “It didn’t happen to do anything yet, did it?”

Gibson blanched, and he closed his fist over the paper. The future of the world is quite literally in the palm of my hand, he thought grimly. “No. No, not yet.” He looked at the Machine, and the Machine looked back at him.

It didn’t seem like anything special on the outside, just a large black box, five by five feet the whole way around. A few slots opened up for keyboards, and a few others for maintenance, but they were relatively useless. Inside the box was his masterpiece, his magnum opus—a web of light, a spiral of lasers so tightly wound, so burning hot and blindingly bright, they transcended time itself. It was a time machine. A one-way radio to the past.

“You think we should test it?” Conley was sitting down now, watching the Machine with a sort of bored fascination.

“And risk creating a paradox?”

“Well, if it’s already on, I think the whole paradox thing is a given.” She glanced to the side, at nothing in particular. “You know, if you think about it, it’s kind of impossible to get a message from us unless we actually send one. But if we send one, they we would have already gotten it in the past, so that would be pointless to send. So even if you tell your past self to remember to buy eggs next time you go grocery shopping, you, the present you, still wouldn’t have the eggs. Maybe alternate timeline you does, but not the you that matters. Does that make any sense at all, Gibson, or am I just rambling? Gibson?”

He grunted. Still absorbing the message, he had paid little attention to his graduate student. But she had a point. Unless this was an alternate timeline from the future, he couldn’t have sent it. If it was an alternate timeline, than which one was real? His? The future one? Both? Or were neither real?

“What was that paper anyway? The one you crumpled when I came in here?” She crossed her arms. “Eh, professor?”

“Just—” His voice cracked. “Just a letter from my ex. You know. One of those things.”

“Must have been pretty bad if you’re that pale.” She laughed. “Well, I’m sure she’ll feel like an idiot when she sees you on CNN being called the most brilliant man since Bell. I smell a Nobel Prize coming your way, Professor Gibson.”

He tried to chuckle, unsuccessfully. He was never one for chuckling, especially when the world could implode at any second.

“Did I ever tell you about a dream I had?” he muttered. “Where the different timelines collapsed in on themselves?”

She ignored him, or didn’t hear. “Have you heard the layman’s term for this thing yet? It’s being called the GP, the Gibson Phone. I’m still a bit partial to chronograph, myself, but it is less of a mouthful. Must be great, having your name immortalized. You could end up like Einstein. A household phrase, only more practical. Probably less than one percent of the population even knows what the Theory of Relativity is, anyway. Everyone knows what this thing could do. Imagine, one day everyone could have one of these. Leave a message to your grandmother as a girl, to your future husband or wife.”

He continued to watch the red blinking lights, on and off, on and off. They were safety lights. That’s what they were created for, to tell you if everything was working fine. When designing them, he never considered they would lie to him. Safety lights that blinked when nothing was safe.

“And what if we find out someday how to make it two-ways? We could ask the future president what it was like to grow up in such and such a town. Or ask ourselves to question mistakes before we make them.”

She heard a thud.

Gibson hit the floor. “I can’t.” He knelt on the ground like a man in deep penance, like a figure from Dante’s Inferno begging for a forgiveness that would never come. He tore at his hair, clawed at his scalp. He bit his lip until he tasted blood. “I can’t do this, Iris. It—my god… my god…”

“Professor!” Conley rushed to him, tossing the clipboard behind her. She tore his hands away and noticed blood and bits of flesh in his nails. “Professor!” She grabbed his face with both hands and forced him to face her. Tears streamed from his eyes. In his expression she saw absolute horror. “Mark!” she cried. “Mark Gibson! Snap out of it!”

The paper, crinkled into a small wad, lay by his side. She let go of the professor, snatched up the note, and read it.

She felt bile rise in her mouth. Conley dropped the note like it suddenly caught fire. “P professor. This note. It’s…”

“Yes.” He was hugging his shoulders, his head bloodied enough. His whole face was red from weeping and hysterics.

She took a few deep breaths. “What can we do?” she whispered.

He bent down his head on his knees. “I don’t know. I don’t know. We need—we need to—break… break the link… Break the machine. Break it! Kill it! Destroy it!” His scream rent the air. Gibson leapt up and punched the machine. Again. Again his fists crashed against it. Blood slicked across the broken shell. He attacked again as he sobbed.

Conley grabbed onto him and was screaming something, yelling something in his ear. What?

“But won’t this—”

“Yes!” His chest heaved in and out. There wasn’t enough oxygen in the room for him, not in the whole world. “Iris. Iris, we must.” His voice became softer, encouraging, almost like it had been during his lectures. “You always wanted to be famous. Now you can. Now we can. We need to do this, or…”

Tears dripped from her eyes, but she no longer cared. “I know.” She calmly picked up the clipboard, walked to the gaping innards of the Machine, still wet with Gibson’s blood, and jammed the clipboard into the wires and into the thin layer of reflective metal.

It broke like an eggshell.

There was a white light, brighter than the sun.

---------------------------------------------

My first submission in a... long time. I don't normally write sci-fi, but I've been trying to get into it lately. I'm still not sure if I like this piece or not, partly because of the near chaos near the end. Please critique, nitpick, whatever you like.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:37 am
Alteran says...

Etain wrote:They were dead. They were all dead.

His hands shook, making the printout all but impossible to read. What had he done? What will he do?

Will should be would. It's a tense change and a big no no.

This was quite interesting. I agree, the ending is rather chaotic and difficult to keep up with. I f anything I would examine the last parts and try and slow them down into a series of events to make it easier to write out. As it is I know what happens, but the actions that go to that point are a bit jumbled.

I like your characters. The development of Conley felt a bit rushed. you can see it, the naive student starts to understand the dangers of the machine at the end as her professor has long before. You might want to do some internalization of this so we can see how this realization effects the character.

My only other thought is that I'm not sure who's point of view we're getting the story from. I wasn't clear if it was Gibson or Conley. You might want to make it more clear for the sake of hel;ping clarify the story. I think that will also help the chaos at the end.

As far as the idea, I like it. I love time travel paradox type stories. It gives you a very open window to explore human development and characterization. I'm not sure if this is a series or short story. If it's just a short story you have plenty of room to help expand on your characters a bit and make them all that more real. You have good characters already, but with a little tweaking I think you could make them amazing.

Hope that helps.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:02 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Hey,

Firstly. . . Loved the idea!

But hell! I was disappointed by the ending! So many threads left untied, so many questions left unanswered! What was the note?! Who died?! Why did they destroy the machine!? Gah! So unsatisfied!

You lead me up a huge slope - nay! Your story was a roller coaster. It climbed higher and higher, and higher and then! It just stopped. No stomach-lurching descent into madness full of absolute glee. No sudden gasps as the carriage twists around a corner, as the plot should have done.

It just stopped.

It was so fantastic, excellent writing, exquisite dialogue - and an ending that made me want to cry with frustration.

Another analogy - you brought me close to climax, and then just walked away. *silently rages* This is such an awesome short story! But I so badly want my questions answered. I would love to read this as a novel. With the whole background story; how he developed the idea, if he had family, the year, how long it took to make a prototype, their first test run of the machine. You could so own this story!

This short piece kept me enthralled to the the end.

Below is my running critique of thoughts etc. I found no mistakes in terms of grammatical or in punctuation.

Incredible writing :D

-------------

They were dead. They were all dead. **(God damn! I want to know!!)**

Conley walked back into the room. She was holding a clipboard and didn’t even bother glancing at him. “Another interview later today,” she said. “At four.” She glanced up, flashing a mischievous smile. “It didn’t happen to do anything yet, did it?”

Gibson blanched, and he closed his fist over the paper. The future of the world is quite literally in the palm of my hand, he thought grimly. “No. No, not yet.” He looked at the Machine, and the Machine looked back at him. **(fantastic line. An inanimate object performing a living task.)**

It didn’t seem like anything special on the outside, just a large black box, five by five feet the whole way around. A few slots opened up for keyboards, and a few others for maintenance, but they were relatively useless. Inside the box was his masterpiece, his magnum opus—a web of light, a spiral of lasers so tightly wound, so burning hot and blindingly bright, they transcended time itself. It was a time machine. A one-way radio to the past. **(Loved it loved it loved it!)**

“You think we should test it?” Conley was sitting down now, watching the Machine with a sort of bored fascination.

“And risk creating a paradox?”

“Well, if it’s already on, I think the whole paradox thing is a given.” She glanced to the side, at nothing in particular. “You know, if you think about it, it’s kind of impossible to get a message from us unless we actually send one. But if we send one, they we would have already gotten it in the past, so that would be pointless to send. So even if you tell your past self to remember to buy eggs next time you go grocery shopping, you, the present you, still wouldn’t have the eggs. Maybe alternate timeline you does, but not the you that matters. Does that make any sense at all, Gibson, or am I just rambling? Gibson?”

He grunted. Still absorbing the message, he had paid little attention to his graduate student. But she had a point. Unless this was an alternate timeline from the future, he couldn’t have sent it. If it was an alternate timeline, than which one was real? His? The future one? Both? Or were neither real? **(This is a bit confusing. I could be better explained. And the last sentence was a bit blasphemous)**

“What was that paper anyway? The one you crumpled when I came in here?” She crossed her arms. “Eh, professor?”

“Just—” His voice cracked. “Just a letter from my ex. You know. One of those things.” **(This makes me wonder how old he is. Gah! SO much you could explain that you didn't! Am so frustrated with wanting to know everything!)**

“Must have been pretty bad if you’re that pale.” She laughed. “Well, I’m sure she’ll feel like an idiot when she sees you on CNN being called the most brilliant man since Bell. I smell a Nobel Prize coming your way, Professor Gibson.”

He tried to chuckle, unsuccessfully. He was never one for chuckling, especially when the world could implode at any second. **(A bit. . . It seems a bit overdone. Akin to "she was never one for giggling, especially when the world could blow up at any second." It just sounds like a weird comparison. Perhaps, "He had never been the type to chuckle, and to do so now, when the world could implode at any given second, seemed scandalous.")**

“Did I ever tell you about a dream I had?” he muttered. “Where the different timelines collapsed in on themselves?”

She ignored him, or didn’t hear. “Have you heard the layman’s term for this thing yet? It’s being called the GP, the Gibson Phone. **(Here I'm not so sure about the acronym. GP stands for, universally, General Practitioner. I could imagine future conversations. . . BOB: "I talked through my GP to my young wife the other day." GEORGE: "She still not talking to you, eh? But why use your doctor as the middle-man?" BOB: "Yeah it was - what? I meant through my Gibson Phone. . ." GEORGE: "Ah.")** "I’m still a bit partial to chronograph, myself, but **("GP" instead of "it")** it is less of a mouthful. Must be great, having your name immortalized. You could end up like Einstein. A household phrase, only more practical. Probably less than one percent of the population even knows what the Theory of Relativity is, anyway. Everyone knows what this thing could do. Imagine, one day everyone could have one of these. Leave a message to your grandmother as a girl, to your future husband or wife.”

He continued to watch the red blinking lights, on and off, on and off. They were safety lights. That’s what they were created for, to tell you if everything was working fine. When designing them, he never considered they would lie to him. Safety lights that blinked when nothing was safe. **(Trying to think of another word besides AWESOME!)**

“And what if we find out someday how to make it two-ways? We could ask the future president what it was like to grow up in such and such a town. Or ask ourselves to question mistakes before we make them.” **(I think this whole sentence sequence could be better. Would they really be interested in the future president? Or would they be more concerned with future technology?)**

She heard a thud.

Gibson hit the floor. “I can’t.” He knelt on the ground like a man in deep penance, like a figure from Dante’s Inferno begging for a forgiveness that would never come. He tore at his hair, clawed at his scalp **(Impressive feat :P)**. He bit his lip until he tasted blood. “I can’t do this, Iris. It—my god… my god…” **(Iris? Who's Iris?)**

“Professor!” Conley rushed to him, tossing the clipboard behind her. She tore his hands away and noticed blood and bits of flesh in his nails. “Professor!” She grabbed his face with both hands and forced him to face her. Tears streamed from his eyes. In his expression she saw absolute horror. “Mark!” she cried. “Mark Gibson! Snap out of it!”

The paper, crinkled into a small wad, lay by his side. She let go of the professor, snatched up the note, and read it.

She felt bile rise in her mouth. Conley dropped the note like it **("as if it had")** suddenly caught fire. “P professor **("P-professor. . .")**. This note. It’s…”

“Yes.” He was hugging his shoulders, his head bloodied enough. His whole face was red from weeping and hysterics.

She took a few deep breaths. “What can we do?” she whispered.

He bent down his head on his knees. “I don’t know. I don’t know. We need—we need to—break… break the link… Break the machine. Break it! Kill it! Destroy it!” His scream rent the air. Gibson leapt up and punched the machine. Again. Again his fists crashed against it. Blood slicked across the broken shell **(Of the machine? I first thought you meant the broken shell of his hand, his skin)**. He attacked again as he sobbed.

Conley grabbed onto him **("grabbed him" sounds better)** and was screaming something, yelling something in his ear. What?

“But won’t this—”

“Yes!” His chest heaved in and out. There wasn’t enough oxygen in the room for him, not in the whole world. “Iris. Iris, we must.” His voice became softer, encouraging, almost like it had been during his lectures. “You always wanted to be famous. Now you can. Now we can. We need to do this, or…”

Tears dripped from her eyes, but she no longer cared. “I know.” She calmly picked up the clipboard, walked to the gaping innards of the Machine, still wet with Gibson’s blood, and jammed the clipboard into the wires and into the thin layer of reflective metal.

It broke like an eggshell.

There was a white light, brighter than the sun.

------------

Loved it.

Wished there was more.

- Sincerely, Jai :D
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Hi Etain! I'm Conrad Rice, and I'll be your reviewer for today. :)

I love the premise of this story. It reminds me a lot of something Ray Bradbury might write. It's wonderfully written, leading us along quite well, until the interesting conclusion.

There are a couple of things that I have issues with. For one, I found it hard to tell when Gibson was talking and when Conley was talking. You need to consider labeling who is saying what dialogue a bit better, or your readers are going to get very confused.

And, the note. You need to articulate a bit better what it might have actually said. I got the impression that it was a bit of paper from Conley's clipboard, thereby creating a stable loop with the machine sending the paper back to the precise moment it was turned on. But, that wouldn't cause such a reaction from Gibson. So, you need to articulate a bit better about what this paper might have said. There's no need to tell us, that would spoil all the fun. Just hint a bit better.

All in all, a wonderful read. You just need to tweak it and play with it a little. PM me if you have any questions or comments. Good job, and good luck.

-Conrad Rice
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:24 am
Ermixon says...

I find it funny that I submitted a time travel story directly following yours. But your story is really very well written. I only noticed a couple of grammatical errors that I have corrected in my quotes below. The only thing that I found very odd is that you didn’t explain exactly what the note said. You implied it which is cool for building suspense but I think you should have made it more clear toward the end. Other than that though , I find this to be extremely impressive. It actually puts mine to shame in a lot of places, which is why I hope you’ll return the favor and review mine.

“You know, if you think about it, it’s kind of impossible to get a message from us unless we actually send one. But if we send one, they we(They/we) would have already gotten it in the past, so that would be pointless to send.

So even if you tell your past self to remember to buy eggs next time you go grocery shopping, you, the present you, still wouldn’t have the eggs. Maybe alternate timeline you does(do), but not the you that matters.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 am
LovelyLion says...

This was very well written, and your tone is very defined. I thought it was sophisticated and mature sounding.

The biggest thing you could improve on is the description. What does the lab look like? What are the physical characteristics of Conley and Gibson? How do their voices sound? What do their expressions look like? Is there a distinct smell in the air?

Also, the note confused me a bit. There should be more hinting as to what it could've been on it.

I thought the ending was chaotic as well. The mood of the story changed very quickly, as well as the character's emotions. Again, adding more description would make it slow down.

All in all, I thought it was pretty good. I just wish it was longer...

HONK
— The Golden Goose