z

Young Writers Society

Leave Your Shoes (1)

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 pm
Evi says...

For the Extra! Extra! contest, based off of National Geographic's recent issue on water. This title is replaceable-- any opinions on that would be welcome.

On my eleventh birthday, the snatchers took Camille away, and I watched from the front porch as they dragged her down the steps and hurled her into their white van. There were other faces that peeked out from behind the tinted glass—haunted scarecrow faces, their eyes shining like polished buttons, their hands scratching feebly at the windows like wilted straw—but I wasn’t supposed to think about them.
Before the snatchers drove away, Camille managed to remember two out of Lora’s three rules.
First: leave your shoes before they take you.
She thrashed against the men as they dragged her down the sidewalk, somehow managing to rip her sandals off her feet and fling them across the front lawn behind her. They landed right beside me, in the dirt of the flowerbeds. I could’ve easily bent over the staircase-rail and grabbed them, but I was suffocating in the gloom of the murky skies and swollen smog, and I was rooted to the spot.
Second: yell out the code on the inside of the door.
Lora said that in every snatcher car there was a five-digit code stamped inside the door. I didn’t know why it was important for her to hear that code each time, but there was a certain one that she was waiting for, because each time someone screamed out the digits she visibly deflated.
The two men yanked Camille by the wrists, slinging her through the open door like she weighed barely anything—which, come to think of it, she did—and she gasped as her head slammed against the side of the car. I clapped my hands over my mouth and smothered a shriek.
They tried to shut the door on her, but then she was throwing herself halfway out of the car, shouting out in a blur of numbers.
Distantly, I noted that through her flailing she had managed to get smudges of dirt on their pristine jackets. Snatchers were perfectly white in all the ways that the rest of us never were—white vehicles, white clothing, even gleaming white teeth and milky white skin. Nothing stayed white in the city. Even the purest of things were eventually buried under our dirt and grime and blistering hot sun.
Third: do not cry, and do not scream.
The last rule was the one that Camille broke. The two men slammed the door against her, trapping her fingers in the crack. She cried out only once before the sound was cut off by the purr of an engine, but even after they had driven away the scream lingered in the air like a barely forgotten dream.
Everyone else slipped inside, but my hands were still clamped over my lips, forcing myself to swallow sobs that burned going down my parched throat. Emotion was weakness, Lora said. I would not be weak.
I stared into the street and watched the agitated dust settle back down onto the pavement, erasing the scene like nothing had happened.
When I forced myself to look away, Graham was there. His shadowed expression made him look older, but he was eleven, too. I can see the sunset behind the bouncy curls piled on his head.
He frowned, pointing towards the discarded shoes lying in the dirt.
“I think she would’ve wanted you to have them,” he said, cast his eyes downward, and followed the other inside.
I staggered barefoot down the steps and stepped onto the sun-scorched lawn, dead grass crunching under my feet. For a moment I saw the flowerbeds as they could’ve been, if there was enough water, brimming with loud colors and soft petals, but then the image wavered and all that was left was dirt. I pulled the shoes on. They wouldn’t have fit even with some extraordinarily thick socks. The worn leather was soft against my feet, though, and I silently thanked my big sister for the birthday present as I climbed back up the stairs. The watery sunset cast a shadow behind me that looked like a watchful guardian angel.
Her scream followed me inside, even through the firmly closed door, ringing in my ears and leaving a sharp taste on my tongue. I blinked away the image of her fingers crushed in the door—emotion was weakness, Lora said.

That was four years ago exactly. Today, I'm turning fifteen. I wake up feeling like my execution date has been set, and I haul myself out of bed at the crack of dawn, hoping to get to the stream before the heat and haze get too intolerable.
Diluted sunshine leaks through the bedroom skylight, creating the illusion that it might be a bright, pretty day. I tiptoe between my snoring roommates and pull open the room’s only window to let a wisp of fresh air in, and then slip out into the hallway.
As I reach the top of the staircase, I step into Camille’s shoes, which fit now. It makes sense—she was fifteen when she was taken. Always the magic number. Lora says that making it to fifteen is an accomplishment, but I don’t feel like I’ve accomplished anything. Soon enough, the snatchers will come for me. If they don’t, which happens occasionally, I’ll go crazy anyway from the water.
The downstairs hardwood floor has this endearing quality of creaking like hell whenever anyone steps on it, so there’s no point in trying to be delicate while crossing the living room. It groans under my feet, understanding my pain, sympathizing with my dreaded birthday.
I like to think that the house will be sorry when I’m taken. I’m the only one who ever cleans it.
Graham is in the kitchen, leaning up against the counter and sipping a mug of our sorry substitute for coffee. He’s so dark from gardening and scavenging that his skin is the same deep brown as the drink, and when he flashes me a grin, it’s white against the rest of his coloring.
I return it, feebly. “That coffee is going to ruin your dazzling smile.”
“Nonsense. I’ve got enough whitening toothpaste for a small country,” he retorts, which is true. When the crops started dying and the smog came, those who evacuated the city took everything they could get their hands on—except toothpaste. We have at least a hundred travel-sized tubes of the stuff stashed somewhere in the basement. I wonder if it’s edible, for when our hunger gets really desperate.
He extends the mug to me, but I shake my head, even though my throat is burning and I haven’t had anything to drink since yesterday morning. I walk over to the table and collapse into a chair. It creaks in chorus with the floor. “I don’t know how you can drink that,” I say.
“Easy.” His tone is light, but it’s a touchy subject between us, and he meets my gaze. “Otherwise, I’ll die of thirst. Like you.”
“I’m not dying of thirst.”
“You’re right,” he amends. “You’re dying of hunger, too.”
I run a hand through my hair, which is wilted from being washed too infrequently. Unlike toothpaste, shampoo is hard to come by.
He sits down across from me and reaches across the table to grab my hand. His is warm, callused, and familiar. “Don’t be angry. Happy birthday.”
I glare. “Thanks for the reminder.”
“Big fifteen, huh? Want me to break out the confetti?” His smile isn’t genuine anymore, and his lips are spread into a thin, closed line that makes it look like he’s been inhaling lemon juice.
“No confetti.” I sit back in my chair. Stray shafts of sunlight are on the table, seeping from the kitchen window; the air is already hot and sticky, and it can’t be later than seven. “Although I wouldn’t say no to a homemade cake.”
“Yes, you would.”
He’s right.
I look down into my free hand, which is creased with dirt. It looks like the grime of the city has been embedded into my skin, and no matter how often I try to wash it off, the filth is always there, reminding me of where I am.
I form a fist and realize that Graham is standing over me with a small cup of water. There are shiny sediments in it, like pieces of glitter, and I push him away halfheartedly.
“C’mon, Sav,” he pleads. I hate that nickname, but I can’t get him to call me Savannah. “I won’t let you dehydrate. Not on your birthday. Just a cup.”
God, I’m so thirsty. I take the glass and raise it to my lips, allowing myself three tiny sips before forcing it back into Graham’s hand.
He frowns. “Finish it. You’re not going to go insane with one cup.”
“You don’t know that.”
“Do you see how much water I drink?” he demands. “Four full glasses a day. And I’m still here, aren’t I?” He puts his face right up next to mine. His breath smells bitter from the fake coffee. “Look at me. I’m not crazy.”
I look away. “Not yet.” I live in the fear that one day I’ll wake to Graham’s screaming in the night, walking in circles around the house, muttering gibberish while he stares blankly out a window. I dread the day when the poison in our water finally works its way into his brain and breaks him down, like it has to everyone before him.
“You don’t think it can happen to you,” I whisper. “But it will. It always does. We’re fifteen now. It’s either the madness, thirst, or the snatchers—one of them will get us eventually.”
His expression is grim as he pulls me up from the chair and raises the glass to my lips. He’s too strong for me to pull away from, when he has his arm around my waist like this, so I let him win for now and dutifully drain every last drop of water. I swear I can feel the glitter particles attacking my brain.
He sets the empty cup down on the table, and I rub the sleep out of my eyes. “One year older, Sav,” he murmurs. “We’ll figure a way out of it. We’ll live as long as Lora.”
Graham’s optimism is touching, although it’s outrageous. Lora is a miraculous exception to the water madness—if she knew a way out, she’d have told us.
The sunlight's increasing warmth on my back tells me that we’re losing time, so I wrap my fingers around Graham’s and drag him out the front door to fetch the water before everyone else wakes up thirsty.
“Happy birthday,” he says again. I can’t help but disagree.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat May 08, 2010 4:30 pm
Elinor says...

Hi Evi!

So, since you've been so helpful to me for the past few days, I thought I'd return your favor by critiquing this story. Now, I didn't really like it. I skimmed over the article; it's definitely very broad. I can see where you got your ideas from, but because it's so broad, you have to take a lot of liberty in really creating your own story, something I don't think you did.

I want to start by talking about your characters. You have your narrator, Camille, Graham, and Lora. I never really felt a connection to any of them; they were all flat and just seemed to be there. They felt this way because we barely know anything about them. The only way you form a relation between these character is that you say Lora is your narrator's older sister. I don't know how she's related to Camille and Graham. I had a few individual comments about each one.

Narrator: Besides what I already said, I also wanted to add the late introduction of her name is really jarring. In simple, first person stories like yours, you can sometimes pull off not giving your character a name, and she can just be known as the narrator. However, if you're going to give your character one, do it toward the beginning of the story.

Lora: This character doesn't really have much of an impact as I think she was supposed to. Her brief appearance in the story is wasted; you don't give her anything important to say or do. If you leave her out of the story and just mention her, I think it would increase the mystery of the character, and kept us wondering why she's lived for a long time, why she is so wise, etc. Another question I had was regarding the beginning. Why does Lora know what to do? Was she captured by the Snatchers before and escaped?

Camille: I think she could have easily been left out of the story. She doesn't really contribute much, and we don't know anything about her except her name. Because of this, we don't feel sympathy for your narrator. Secondly, when you say that Camille was fifteen, it came as somewhat of a shock to me. I thought she was eleven or twelve from the way you had her scream and cry.

Graham: He's really introduced late in the story, but you act as though we've known him the whole time. Obviously your narrator is going to, but you should still find a way to introduce their relationship. If they're dating, make it obvious by having them hug or kiss and the reader would get the idea without you ever having to mention that they're actually dating. If they're friends, well, mention something like that. What I think you could do is replace the scene with Lora at the beginning with Graham. That way, you could introduce him while getting through the plot point of the shoes. That way, when you get to this scene, you don't have to worry about introducing him.

When things came down to story, my thoughts were so-so. It was somewhat confusing, really. You have the snatchers taking away Camille at the beginning, and then in the second part you don't really expand upon that, but then go to the issue of water without really ever connecting the two and leaving me confused. I'm looking optimistic and I hope that you will be able to wrap everything up adequately in the second part. PM me when it's up, okay?

I wish you best of luck in the contest, and I hope this helps. PM me if you have any further questions.

-Elinor xo

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat May 08, 2010 6:27 pm
Lava says...

Evi!

So, I agree with Elinor on a few points. The character introduction is a little messy. You know, you should've put up this post earlier. Anyway, forgetting that,

I did like the second part better, the one with your narrator. Only thing is, instead of bringing out the issue of water like this glass-of-water-to-drink thing, try to introduce it more subtly. Like something you see outside the house would be good.
And, yes, I'm a little confused as to the relationships.
The "I can’t help but disagree." leaves me a little confused as to the narrator's character.

I'm interested by the snatchings, so I don't hate it. I'd just like to see where it leads.

Good luck!
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 08, 2010 8:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hey Evi. I'm a sucker for blog plugs, so I'm here. (Maybe a bit late?)

I find you're suffering from the same problem I was suffering from in my recent story, and that there are so many threads started, mostly in the second half, that never really get tied off. To count them:

~ Drought
~ Snatchers (who are they? Why do they take people? Why are they in white?)
~ The code inside the door is important (why? Will anything happen with them?)
~ Some sort of poison in the water (how did it get there?)
~ A big event that caused all but a few to leave (why did your characters stay?)
~ Not having much time because of sweat (can she feel the insanity coming?)

Those last four threads leave me walking away thinking, "Okay, that was interesting, but what's going on?" I can see why there is a "one" in your title— this would need a few more parts to be considered "complete" in my mind. Unless you can managed to wiggle them all in here.

Your story sufficed as a snapshot of time. There's a rather obvious history to this, and there's an almost as obvious continuation to this. I consider this well written, but there are quite a few blanks missing for this to be completely satisfying.

I actually never noticed the character introductions being a bit messy, because of how perfectly this was a snapshot. I could guess almost every character's role, and the introductions are so absent on the part of the MC you can just tell what kind of history they've had together.

Hope this helps! PM me with anything.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat May 08, 2010 8:23 pm
Evi says...

Thank you guys so very much, especially since this was such short notice! :D I also wish I had submitted this earlier, but I hadn't been sure I'd be able to finish it for the contest. (I'm still not sure, really!)

Elinor-- Camille and the narrator are the actual sisters, not Lora and the narrator. Did that not come across? But I quite like the idea of substituting Lora in the beginning with Graham!

Lava-- I'll try to smooth out some relationships and introduce the water more subtly. Thanks!

Rosey-- I'm hoping to tie those off in the second half. xD It's not entirely written yet, but I'm trying to connect loose ends.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat May 08, 2010 9:13 pm
Hannah says...

Evi, having read a large bit of this before, I just want to say for you to take any comments about pacing with a grain of salt since this is one part of the story and sometimes people don't realize that. xD I think it's very well paced and I don't think the character introduction is odd at all.

What I do remember feeling weird about was the presence of something as specific as a 'white limousine'. Unless there's a specific reason for you to have chosen a limousine, it seems too luxurious and, again, specific. A white car would seem more subtle and it wouldn't stick out as much, though for some reason, vehicles of any kind seem too 'modern' for this story. I know you don't really give a specific time period for it, but for some reason I just feel like it's in a quiet, simple time and at no point did I imagine cars parked next to the houses or anything.

Well, that's just my feeling. If there's a specific reason, then ignore me! I look forward to the rest, and seeing how you finished it, so even if you don't end up submitting it, please post the rest!

P.S. A few awkward phrases:

The watery sunshine in the first section. I know it was meant to illustrate a connection, but it could maybe use a little expansion to be significant enough to not be weird.

wakes up and gets thirsty.

'Gets thirsty' just sounds awkward. You could probably just say 'wakes up thirsty'. ^_^

Love ya, CBF! PM me if you have any questions or need anything else, okay?

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat May 08, 2010 9:32 pm
Elinor says...

Evi -> It did, but I thought you said at the beginning that Lora was the narrator's older sister. I must have just misread.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 am
Demeter says...

Evi!

I wanted to return the favour, since you were amazing and reviewed my story! So thanks again!

So, while I was reading this, I came up with some clever things to point out, but now that I've finished, I can't remember them anymore. :P So probably nothing too serious. I'll try to look for some of them, though.

That was four years ago exactly. Today, I turn fifteen.

I don't know why, but to me it would sound better if it was "I'm turning fifteen", instead of I turn. *shrug*

As I reach the top of the staircase, I step into Camille’s shoes, which fit now. It makes sense—she was fifteen when she was taken.

I got the impression that this is the first time she tries on the shoes again... but is it so? It sounds like it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense.

His shadowed expression made him look older, but he was eleven, too.

Maybe something like "--older than eleven, which we both were." I don't know if it's any smoother than the current one, though.

I like to think that the house will be sorry when I’m taken. I’m the only one who ever cleans it.

I liked this! Made me snigger a little :P

“Nonsense. I’ve got enough whitening toothpaste for a small country,” he retorts, which is true. When the crops started dying and the smog came, those who evacuated the city took everything they could get their hands on—except toothpaste. We have at least a hundred travel-sized tubes of the stuff stashed somewhere in the basement. I wonder if it’s edible, for when our hunger gets really desperate.

I found the toothpaste thing just really random. I can't help but wonder whether it's of any significance for the story. I might be wrong, of course.

So, this was pretty interesting! I was slightly taken aback (well, that's not the best expression) by the number of characters at this point, and Lora seemed (so far) a bit out of place. However, I'm fascinated to see where this leads! Good luck in the contest! :)

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix