z

Young Writers Society

Of Gerbils and Men: Part 1

Reviews: 2
Fri May 21, 2010 3:40 pm
Chal says...

My newest addition to this forum! If this story seems a bit lacking or confusing in some spots, keep in mind that there's a Part 2 on the way that I am editing right now. Enjoy!

---------------------

Of Gerbils and Men: Part 1

“Dee…hey, Dee… hey, wake up.” Dee opened his eyes. Groggily, he lifted his head up off of the windowsill. He winced a bit as Earth’s sun shined light in his face. His Atmosphere Filter had slipped off his face. Normally, this would be a fatal mistake, but Earth’s atmosphere was safe for breathing. The only reason he and his partner were wearing them was that it was part of the Interplanetary Study Program’s regulations. He yawned before speaking.

“Bleh... why did you wake me up, Krell? These things haven’t done anything remotely interesting all day. Are they still staring at that screen?” Krell rolled his eyes, all three of them, and looked through his trinoculars at the apartment floor across from them. The two adolescent, male humans could be seen through their apartment window. They were both sitting on a cushioned seat, staring at a flashing screen, as they had been doing for hours. Krell sighed, his notepad’s batteries were starting to die and he had barely recorded anything.

“Unfortunately, yes.” Krell set the trinoculars down and flipped through his Humanology textbook. “I don’t get it. These two haven’t displayed any of the behavior humans are supposed to. They aren’t working, throwing things, or mating. Humans love to mate! Or at least they’re supposed to, according to this book.” Dee groaned and laid his head against the windowsill again.

“I knew this project was a stupid idea. Everyone researches humans, it’s been overdone.” Krell snapped back at Dee.

“Well, maybe if someone had done their research on Earth gerbils, like they were supposed to, we wouldn’t be out here staring at these hairless simians and taking last minute notes.” Dee groaned again.

“Come on, Earth ‘gerdils’ are just as boring as humans. Do you know what I find out about them? All they ever do is eat, sleep, and reproduce; just like humans. They’re basically the same thing. I’m surprised ‘gerdils’ didn’t turn out as they dominant species on this planet.” Krell was looking through the trinoculars and typing out notes.

“You would say something absurd like that. Earth ‘gerbils,’ as they are rightly known, are beyond fascinating. Doing a project in gerbils would be the chance of a lifetime. You’d actually be enjoying yourself if we were observing gerbils in their habitat. Instead, you’re bored because you screwed up our final project, and now we have to stare at these stupid motherf - hey, wait a second, they’re doing something. They’re actually doing something!” Krell leaned out the window, both his talons tightly gripping the trinoculars. Dee straightened up and quickly yanked Krell back inside through the window. The trinoculars flew out of Krell’s talons and skidded across the floor of the room.

“Are you crazy?!” Dee loudly whispered. “Some human’s gonna see you if you stick your exoskeleton out the window like that! You know what they do to aliens on this planet, in this country; they either deport them or vivisect them, and for some reason I have the feeling that they’d prefer to vivisect us! Do you really want to be vivisected? I don’t!” Krell was crawling across the floor, searching for the trinoculars.

“Sorry, I got excited. Do you think they noticed me?” Dee peeked out of the corner of the window. He could see one of the humans leaning out his window, looking in their direction, and calling to the other human inside. Dee pulled away from the window. He was flat against the wall, trying to hide even though he was out of the two humans’ sights.

“Yeah, I think they saw us. What should we do?” Krell picked up his notepad and started pressing buttons. His claws were trembling with nervousness.

“Um, hang on, there should be something in here about what to do if you’re compromised.” Dee was trying to look out the window again.

“’Compromised?’ Forget that! What does it say to do if they see us?” Krell sighed.

“That’s what it means to be ‘compromised,’ idiot. Are they still there?” Dee managed to look out the window, despite his anxiety. The human was gone from the window. Down below, Dee heard the sound of a door closing. He leaned out the window just a little bit and noticed the two humans making their way towards the abandoned building where he and Krell were camped out. Dee became frightened; the cilia on the back of his neck were standing up. He really didn’t want to be vivisected, or dissected, or experimented on in any way, for that matter.

“Uh, Krell? I think they’re coming up here.” Krell stopped looking at his notes and immediately straightened up.

“What?!” Krell frantically started looking through his notes. “That’s not right. Humans aren’t supposed to come after observers. Or are they? Augh, I can’t think straight!” Dee dug his talons into the window frame and tore it out of the wall, shattering the glass and creating a large hole in the side of the building where the window used to be. Krell dodged the window frame as Dee tossed it aside. “What did you do that for?! Now we’re going to be noticed for sure!” Dee slung his materials container onto his back and started to climb out and down the building.

“The ISP pod isn’t too far away from here. I don’t know about you, but I’m getting out of here.” Krell started to say something, but hesitated and started to gather his things instead. He quickly stuffed them all into his materials container and went out the window after Dee. In his hurry, he forgot his Humanology textbook. Krell and Dee clawed their way down the side of the abandoned building, leaving large, noticeable scratches in the bricks.

A few seconds later, the two humans entered the room, one holding a bat and the other holding a bottle of Windex. They looked around, and were just about to leave when, suddenly, one of them noticed a peculiar book lying on the floor. He picked it up and flipped through the pages. Eventually the humans noticed the gaping hole where the window used to be, and they looked out and noticed Krell and Dee making their way through some thick bushes into a nearby forest.

Krell and Dee were sprinting through the forested area near the abandoned building. They were trying to make it back to the travel pod the Interplanetary Study program had provided for their project. Dee called out to Krell, half wheezing.
“Krell…are we… anywhere…near the… pod…yet? My…legs…are…getting…tired! I…can’t…breathe…” Krell, who wasn’t having any respiratory trouble, was running a few feet ahead of Dee. He looked back and called to Dee. His voice was a bit muffled because of the air filtration mask over his mouth.

“Put on your air mask, moron! You can’t run like this and breathe Earth’s air; it’s not good for you!” Dee fumbled with the mask hanging around his neck, but managed to get it on. He noticed that it was a little easier to keep up with Krell, now.

Eventually Krell and Dee found the pod. It was a large, sleek, bulbous craft that stood up on landing gears. It was standing in the middle of an open field, disguised as a septic tank. Krell and Dee scurried up into the pod, and shortly afterwards the pod’s emergency thrusters activated and the pod shot up into the air and out of Earth’s atmosphere in a matter of seconds. Krell and Dee breathed a sigh of relief. They were on their way back to their own planet, where they hoped they could somehow throw together a decent final project before school next week. As they went over their notes, trying to see what they could do with the information they had, Krell was dismayed when he realized that he had left his Humanology textbook behind. His mother was going to kill him.
"Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat May 22, 2010 10:21 am
Lava says...

Hello Chal!

Okay, so this was good! There are quite a bunch of stories of aliens observing us, but I like the freshness and the style you used. :)
“Bleh... why did you wake me up, Krell?
Well, I personally don't like the use of bleh. It doesn't sound... right. Maybe some onomatopoeic word would work.
I would like a wee bit more description on how they looked, besides three eyes. And maybe some insight on their thoughts about human's physical appearance.
It was good. I'd like to read the next part soon.

~Lava.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 am
finishedmakingsense says...

I loved the plot. It sounds really interesting and funny, and I can't wait to read more. The title gave me an Of Mice and Men parody expectation, but oh well.
At times the style is a dull, try adding in more description both with the setting and aliens. I still don't know where exactly they are, if they're in a city/ suburb or whatever. I also thought you could have described the aliens better, although this is the first part. Right now I imagine them as these giant cockroach things, I don't know how accurate that is.
They aren’t working, throwing things, or mating. Humans love to mate!

I love this line.

They looked around, and were just about to leave when, suddenly, one of them noticed a peculiar book lying on the floor. He picked it up and flipped through the pages. Eventually the humans noticed the gaping hole where the window used to be, and they looked out and noticed Krell and Dee making their way through some thick bushes into a nearby forest.

I'm pretty sure most people would notice a giant hole in their wall before picking up a book...

So I thought this was pretty good, but improve the description like I said before.
I protest signatures.

Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm
View Likes
Chal says...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

One thing I'd like to point out is that I was intentionally vague with the aliens' descriptions. I wanted the reader to form their own perceptions. I also wanted the vagueness of their descriptions to tickle the readers' minds, or something like that.

Also, the Word file for part 2 is apparently corrupt and will not open, so it looks like I'll have to retype it :?. However, I should have a printed out copy somewhere, to use, so it won't be like I'm completely re-doing the second part.
"Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:25 pm
rimewind says...

I liked the story, but a few things jumped out at me. First, it took a while to figure out where the aliens were, in a building, in the brush, on a building, in their ship, maybe make this clear earlier on.

second, this sentence is a little off in two ways, one, as said, people would notiice a hole before they saw a book.

the other way its a little off, is how weird this sentence is, it just feels funny, and is a little hard to say when said aloud.

Eventually the humans noticed the gaping hole where the window used to be, and they looked out and noticed Krell and Dee making their way through some thick bushes into a nearby forest.
Maybe try changing it to: Eventually the humans noticed the gaping hole where the window used to be. Peering out, they noticed Krell and Dee making their way through some dense bushes into the cover of a nearby forest.

Those are the main things, also, I find this story interesting, and I like how you left the aliens description. I'm waiting for a Part 2.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Chal says...

Part 2 is coming, I'm sorry it's been so long. I didn't intend to put it off for this long, but all of the functioning computers in my house decided to die, and a bunch of other stuff in my life came up. But now that I spend all my time keeping dust from settling on the couch and keeping my Xbox working, I'll try to get my hands on a working computer. Again, I apologize for the delay. If I could bow down in apology over the Internet, I would.

"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard