z

Young Writers Society

Changing World

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:16 pm
silentpages says...

Once your arm falls off, it’s not hard to figure out that the day is going to go way downhill.
And I don’t mean, “Oh, my arm’s so tired, it feels like it’s going to fall off!” I mean literally, no longer attached. As in, “The squeamish should look away now.”
Luckily, my brothers and I weren’t squeamish.
If we were, I never would’ve been in a situation where my arm could fall off anyway. I would’ve been safe inside the spaceport with Uncle Max and all his geeky, little science minions, sipping tea, or whatever it is the squeamish do.
I wasn’t entirely sure what a squeamish person looked like, since I’d spent my whole life in the black void of space, where few squeamish people dare to tread… But if I had to hazard a guess, there were a few of the science minions who came to mind.
I, however, was not drinking tea in the spaceport that day. Or any day. Nor did I ever plan on drinking tea. First, because it was physically impossible for me to do so, and second, because if I could taste, I’m sure it would taste as gross as it looked.
So, no tea for me.
Instead, my three brothers and I were running around on an asteroid, wielding drills and lasers and other equipment that had been formed into being from the sweat of science minions and the worth of taxpayers’ dollars, trying to get as much valuable material as we could – in order to make a profit – before it was time to ditch it. Because in space, where vast distances between stuff is the norm, we were getting a little too close for comfort to a black hole. We weren’t in any real danger yet, but the science minions wanted us out of there, fast.
Neil claimed the urgency and the pressure of the deadline were what made him slip and cut my arm off with a laser, but I still think it had something to do with our squabble earlier that day about who would get out first once we got to Earth.
“Oops,” Neil said flatly, watching my arm float lazily into empty space.
“Don’t just stand there!” I snapped, trying to retrieve it. The fingers of my detached hand clenched into a fist as I tried to use the arm that would’ve been close enough to grab it. By the time I remembered to use my other arm, it was out of reach. “Grab it, space-brain! Uncle Max is almost out of replacements, and I am not showing up on the Homeworld for the first time missing an appendage!”
“Relax, you diva, you,” Neil breezed, kicking off the asteroid and catching up to my arm with no trouble. Buzz and Glenn each grabbed one of his legs and pulled him back down, anchoring themselves on the poles we’d drilled into the floating chunk of metal and rock at the start of the mission. Our last mission. “You’ll look just as pretty for the cameras as the rest of us…” He paused. “Except for me. We all know I’m the handsome one.”
“Sure, if you’re confusing ‘handsome’ with ‘annoying,’” said Buzz.
“Or ‘unintelligent,’” added Glenn with a grin. “He’s definitely the unintelligent one.”
The three of us studied our brother, exchanged a look, and nodded decisively. “Yup. Definitely.”
We said the two words in unison. Not like twins say stuff at the same time. We said the words in exactly the same tone, with exactly the same voice inflection – the same voice – and exactly the same pause in-between the words. If you’d closed your eyes, it might’ve sounded like one boy talking, instead of three.
And if you’d stood us up, one facing the other three, you might’ve thought we were one boy looking at himself in three mirrors. That joke about Neil being the handsome one? It was just that: a joke.
All four of us looked exactly the same. Same brown buzz cut, same unnaturally blue eyes. Same face. Same frame.
Same wiring and whirring circuitry beneath the artificial skin.
Except one of us was missing an arm.
The unintelligent thing was a joke, too. We all were programmed with above-average IQs. Some of us just chose to use that inherent intelligence a little more than the others did.
The radio set into my ear crackled, and Uncle Max’s voice filtered through the static – the radio had been having problems recently. It needed replacement parts, so it was good that we were going back to Earth.
“Better haul it in, Alan. The rest of you, keep at it,” he said.
My brothers groaned their usual complaints. Buzz muttered something about child labor laws. Which is ridiculous, because we’re all, like, decades older than we were designed to look. We’d floated in space longer than the current owner of the Company had walked the Earth. The words, ‘Grow up!’ didn’t really have meaning for us.
I wrestled my arm from Neil’s grip before he could start hitting our other brothers with it, like he had with Glenn’s leg that time years and years ago. In space, where not much feels like it changes, you tend to use the same jokes and games over and over again.
I kicked off the asteroid and propelled myself back to the airlock. I don’t need air, of course, which is one of the reasons why we were sent out to do all the dangerous stuff in the first place, so the airlock was mostly to keep the science minions from getting sucked out into oblivion.
When I got back into the spaceport itself, Uncle Max was there, waiting, his deep wrinkles set into a disapproving stare. Uncle Max had always been there, just as long as we had, even though he hadn’t been the original designer of us. That had been his brother… That man had never made it into space. But Max had, starting out young and fresh, hardly older than we were supposed to look, but a true genius.
Unlike us, though, he aged. It was strange, watching someone you know well shrink down and shrivel up… I was glad it would never happen to us.
“Go to your charging deck,” Uncle Max ordered.
“Wha? But-” I held up my arm.
“I’ll work on it later, during the journey. Go.” There was no mistaking it; this was a punishment.
“But I didn’t do anything! Neil’s the one who-”
“-And you let him. You need to be more alert, Alan. Or do you want to end up like Gus?”
I shuddered.
We’d had a fifth brother, once. He was still out there, probably… Somewhere… Let’s just say they now double- and triple-check our anchor lines before sending us off on a spacewalk.
Glum, I went to my charging deck, Uncle Max following behind sternly. I sat back, and the last thing I saw was Uncle Max hitting the button that would send me into hibernation.
~
The good thing about being a robot with Artificial Intelligence is that you can ‘hibernate’ when you’re not needed, which saves you from a lot of boredom. While the science minions spent journeys playing years and years of chess (which is hard when the pieces keep floating away), we just went to ‘sleep’ and then woke up again years later, feeling like only a minute had gone by.
When I woke up this time, my arm was as good as new – because it was. A replacement – and Uncle Max looked even older than he had last time. I thought about thanking him for fixing me up, but chances were he’d already forgotten that I went into hibernation sans arm last time. He’d felt every agonizing second go past, waiting to get back to Earth…
Earth.
“Are we…” I blinked.
Uncle Max nodded. “Welcome home.”
Odd. That’s how it feels when Home is a place you’ve never been before… It feels odd.
~
My brothers and I waited behind a door, grinning and patting each other on the back excitedly.
“We’re really here,” Glenn said breathlessly. Technically we were all breathless, being robots who don’t breathe, but… Yeah. You get what I mean.
“Our public awaits.” Neil winked at me.
Supposedly, we’d been the most sophisticated robots in the world when we left. We didn’t get to enjoy the fame, though – we weren’t fully activated until we got into space.
Tech had moved forward in our absence, and now we were actually pretty obsolete. But we still had fame waiting for us. That was what we’d been promised. We’d be heroes, like the Alan Sheppards and Neil Armstrongs we’d been named for. We were pioneers of space, going deeper in than anyone had ever dared to go before.
The people would love us. And that’s why our outward design was the way it was; to make us look good for the press conferences anticipated for our return. Why else would you give a drilling, working hunk of metal a smile that could make teenage girls swoon?
The doors opened, and we stepped onto a stage, a podium and the president and Uncle Max standing directly before us, with a massive crowd of millions just beyond them. I felt the cameras flash. Voices cheered…
Uncle Max’s smile was forced.
Something was wrong.
A brick hit the stage, followed by other things that were hard and generally unpleasant to be hit with; very different from the flowers we’d expected to be thrown to us.
And just like that, my daydream vanished. I saw things as they were. The camera flashes were gunshots, deep in the rioting masses. The ‘cheers’ of the crowd were screams and wails of protest. The only people paying any attention to the stage were the people throwing things at it.
Another brick hurtled through the air and struck Uncle Max on the forehead. He staggered. Fell. The four of us rushed forward, at the same time the crowd did. The stage was overrun. The president disappeared in a swarm of men wearing black suits and carrying guns.
We locked hands to keep from losing each other. It didn’t stop us from getting lost – together – in the crowd.
We never found Uncle Max.
~
The first place we went to on Earth was not a movie theater, or an amusement park, or a garden full of green things we’d never seen before. It was none of the places we’d talked about going.
It was a dark alley, dripping and dirty. The pile of rotting animal corpses thinned the crowd in that particular alley, but the smell didn’t bother us, so we made the alley our home. Temporarily, we assured ourselves. Only until we could find out what was going on.
We thought about going out, trying to find someone from the Company, and returning to the place that had made us. Then we found a trashed newspaper. Read an article about our escape, and pieced together that they were planning to disassemble us once we were found.
Losing an occasional appendage was bad enough. We didn’t want to be torn apart completely.
So we hid, when the local authorities came to investigate our alley. We watched as flesh-and-blood humans surged past the mouth of our opening. It seemed like there was always fighting going on…
We tried to figure out what had gone wrong.
I’m still not entirely sure. I don’t think anyone is really sure. Things just… happened. More than technology changed while we were gone. The world changed. The people were rebelling, against everything. They were angry about a lot of things, and they didn’t want to put down their torches and pitchforks – or guns and bricks – to ‘ooh’ and ‘ah’ over the robots that had captivated the world that came before them.
Our press conferences would never happen. We’d never do commercials, or give lectures… That half of our purpose was gone. So was the half that had taken place in space. And so was Uncle Max, who kept us maintained, and our charging docks, which preserved us when we weren’t in use.
We deteriorated. Quickly. Watching pieces of you rust and fall away was even worse than watching people grow old… It made us crazy. Desperate. But we didn’t know how to stop our break-down. Our parts weren’t exactly sold at the local convenience store. With all the rioting and looting, double A batteries weren’t sold at the local convenience store anymore. We couldn’t do anything… So we waited, and watched each other fall apart.
One day, Buzz stopped functioning completely. A lot of his parts were actually in pretty good shape, but his mental circuits were fried. So… We salvaged what we could, and divided it up between the remaining three of us, to keep ourselves running.
A few weeks later, Glenn snapped and tried to steal some of Neil’s parts. They fought, and strength meant for completing difficult tasks in outer space helped them rip each other apart, until they stopped functioning, too.
I didn’t try to stop them. I watched. And then I picked up the pieces.
Replaced some of my own parts.
Now it’s just me, waiting to rust while the pile of dead animals in our – my – alley rot more and more each day. The metal skeletons of three space pioneers are piled up, too, right next to it.
There’s still one of us up in space somewhere. Gus. I wonder sometimes whether he fell apart faster or slower than us. Whether he’s still up there, floating and hoping that someone will find him someday…
I wish Uncle Max would find me. He could fix me.
I wonder if Glen will still be up there, in space, waiting, long after I… After I what? Die?
What happens to robots when they shut down for the last time?
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:36 am
SporkPunk says...

Hey silentpages! You can call me Sporky. :smt001 I'll be reviewing this today.

before it was time to ditch it

"It" here is ambiguous; it could be either in reference to the equipment or the asteroid.

Neil claimed the urgency and the pressure of the deadline were what made him slip and cut my arm off with a laser, but I still think it had something to do with our squabble earlier that day about who would get out first once we got to Earth.

I don't really like this line, because it ruins a sense of foreshadowing or any semblance of suspense. Readers don't want to know exactly what happened and then have an anecdote about it following. Maybe change this?

Which is ridiculous, because we’re all, like, decades older than we were designed to look

I don't think this random instance of filler language fits. If you wish to keep it for style purposes, you should think about rewriting your narration to fit the usage of colloquialisms, or maybe just get rid of "like."

But Max had, starting out young and fresh, hardly older than we were supposed to look, but a true genius.

This is worded awkwardly. You might want to rephrase it. My suggestion: But Max had, starting out young and fresh. He was about as young as we were supposed to look, but unlike us, he was a true genius. Or something. :) Just an idea.

Odd. That’s how it feels when Home is a place you’ve never been before… It feels odd.

The tense switch here is abrupt. xD

Technically we were all breathless, being robots who don’t breathe, but… Yeah. You get what I mean.

Hmm. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this line. I don't like it because it tells rather than shows...but I can understand why you have it there.

I wonder if Glen will still be up there, in space, waiting, long after I… After I what? Die?

Glenn? Or Gus?

----

Okay, so overall, here's what I think. You begin well, detailing just enough but not overloading. There were a few grammar problems, but they're easy fixes. The second part has more problems. Just when we're starting to get into the story, and we start to care about Buzz and Glenn and Alan, you begin to skim over the story. The climax is gone, and justice isn't done to this story. You jam everything together, leaving out details that could enrich the plot. So, while you had me at the beginning, towards the middle and end you lost me because it was just too rushed.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or would like an explanation on any of my points.

~Sporky
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 pm
Jenthura says...

Changing World

Once your arm falls off, it’s not hard to figure out that the day is going to go way downhill.

This opening sentence is brilliant. It’s got just the right amount of pull to bring the reader in, as opposed to some wacky, crazy and generally overdone pulls I’ve seen. However, when you say ‘day’ I was expecting this to all happen within the course of a single day. Maybe it felt like that to the robots, but it reality it took years. Perhaps you feel like you shouldn’t change this, but I think it could do with just a little tweaking.

Luckily, my brothers and I weren’t squeamish.

In fact, they really weren’t anything at all. The way you play with robot’s emotions here is definitely way off norm. You explain their looks away by saying it was merely a crowd pleasing device, but giving them personalities and humour and emotion? I think that would be overdoing it.

…science minions…

Who are these science minions? I think you need to expound on them a little more, since their use is very vague (they also disappear in a hurry).

…trying to get as much valuable material as we could – in order to make a profit – before it was time to ditch it.

Now, because you mentioned ‘science minions’ I would assume the trip was to gather data and mineral specimens. But you make their asteroid mining sound like a job (‘profit’ you say). For a job like that, you wouldn’t need scientists.
Neil claimed the urgency and the pressure of the deadline were what made him slip and cut my arm off with a laser…

Neil claimed that the urgency…

I think it would go better that way.

“Don’t just stand there!” I snapped, trying to retrieve it. The fingers of my detached hand clenched into a fist as I tried to use the arm that would’ve been close enough to grab it.

After ‘retrieve it’ you need to make a new paragraph. Also, would a robot really be that forgetful?

Our last mission. “You’ll look just as pretty for the cameras as the rest of us…”

Once again, a new paragraph after dialogue.

If you’d closed your eyes, it might’ve sounded like one boy talking, instead of three.

Hmm, you might want to use ‘guy’, since ‘boy’ implies a much younger age.

And if you’d stood us up, one facing the other three, you might’ve thought we were one boy looking at himself in three mirrors.

Guy.

The radio set into my ear crackled…

‘In’ not into. Don’t ask me why, it’s just one of those grammar rules you’re supposed to memorize.
We’d floated in space longer than the current owner of the Company had walked the Earth.

Company? What Company? Once again, your side-characters are very vague (minions) and unexplained. I think you should expound on this too.

…like he had with Glenn’s leg that time years and years ago. In space, where not much feels like it changes, you tend to use the same jokes and games over and over again.

If they use the same jokes over and over again, then the using-a-severed-appendage-to-hit-with joke should have been used much more recently. Unless they don’t lose their arms very often.

Uncle Max had always been there, just as long as we had, even though he hadn’t been the original designer of us.

Even though he hadn’t been our original designer.
Don’t use a passive voice, get to the point!

The good thing about being a robot with Artificial Intelligence is that you can ‘hibernate’ when you’re not needed, which saves you from a lot of boredom.

You shouldn’t capitalize Artificial Intelligence. In fact, just use AI.

…(which is hard when the pieces keep floating away)…

Hmm, now why should that happen? It surely sounded like Alan and Uncle Max walked to the charging docks. In a high-tech spaceship like theirs, I would expect at least micro gravity.

He’d felt every agonizing second go past, waiting to get back to Earth…

Alright, you mentioned a black hole, so I know they’re pretty near one. Theoretically, black holes occur at the centers of galaxies, the ‘arms’ or the galaxy spreading out and spinning around it. Earth is located rather far from the center of our galaxy, and even at the speed of light (beyond which you cannot accelerate any further) it would take much longer than a single lifetime to get within dangerous limits. My suggestion? Cryogenics, or hyperspatial travel. Both ways would result in Uncle Max aging very little, but that would mess up your plot, so do as you please.

We’d be heroes, like the Alan Sheppards and Neil Armstrongs we’d been named for.

There was only one Alan Sheppard and only one Neil Armstrong. I doubt you’ll need to make their names plural.

The doors opened, and we stepped onto a stage, a podium and the president and Uncle Max standing directly before us, with a massive crowd of millions just beyond them.

The verb is ‘stepped’ and the indirect objects seem to be ‘stage’, ‘podium’ and ‘president’. Obviously, ‘podium’ and ‘president’ are not indirect objects, and are part of the phrase, ‘a podium and the president and Uncle Max standing directly before us’ which gives information about their surroundings, but the way they come right after ‘stage’ makes it confusing. Work around a bit with the layering of this sentence, it just sounds awkward.

We never found Uncle Max.

Hmm, I’ve gotten used to Asimovian robots with the whole three Laws thing, so the fact they didn’t try to save Uncle Max (who they seemed to have an emotional attachment to) surprised me. I know the plot calls for them to lose him, but maybe they could at least try to save Uncle Max.

So we hid, when the local authorities came to investigate our alley.

How did they hide? I’d like just a little more information on that. (Also, remove that comma between ‘hid’ and ‘when’.

We watched as flesh-and-blood humans surged past the mouth of our opening. It seemed like there was always fighting going on…

‘Flesh-and-blood’ sounds repetitive, I think it would be better to cut it out completely.

We’d never do commercials, or give lectures…

Lectures? Why’d they want that? Besides, I’m sure the ‘minions’ would take care of all that stuff.

That half of our purpose was gone. So was the half that had taken place in space. And so was Uncle Max, who kept us maintained, and our charging docks, which preserved us when we weren’t in use.

This collection of sentences just doesn’t seem to flow to me. Don’t ask me why, But I just think you should change it by splicing two of them together or something.

Watching pieces of you rust and fall away was even worse than watching people grow old.

Rust? I don’t know. If they had artificial skin (which I would expect to be some sort of advanced plastic) their metal parts would have been shielded from rust. Plus, who makes robots out of rustable materials? Stainless steel!

With all the rioting and looting, double A batteries weren’t sold at the local convenience store anymore.

I think you meant, “Not even double A batteries were sold at the local convenience stores.” Whether or not you should put that ‘anymore’ in is up to you. Also, perhaps it would be better to write ‘AA’ instead of ‘double A’.

What happens to robots when they shut down for the last time?

Perfect ending, reminds me of so many of Isaac Asimov’s stories.

Over all, you did very well, conveying the pathos of it all and whatnot. If I was a sensitive reader, I would complain about how sad the ending was, and how you should continue it with some happy news. However, being the insensitive reader that I am, I strongly suggest that you keep it the way it is (aside from the nitpicks I’ve mentioned and any other errors you might notice) and be content.
Good job!
Jenth
-ж-Ж-ж-

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 am
Snoink says...

Your first sentence rocks on so many levels.

Anyway! The main thing that I could see was that there are two main parts of your story. The humorous half and the not-so-humorous half. So let's talk about that!

Humorous Half

Your introduction wins on soooo many levels. It's funny, it's intriguing, and it personally made me smile. This is good! Now, if you have a good thing, don't keep repeating it. You decided to repeat over and over again that the guy was missing an arm. After a while, it gets old. Instead of mentioning that he's lost an arm, try making him get into accidents because of his missing arm. That generally works better anyways! :)

Not-so-humorous Half

Basically, you started with a lot of energy and it dwindled down to pretty much nothing. This scene should be tragic. What he thought was true wasn't true. Think of Buzz Lightyear, realizing he can't fly in Toy Story 1 [a video, if you forget]. One of the reasons why that is so tragic is that it shows how impossible it is for to fly and he just gives up. So, us seeing that is crucial! You will want to show us this... and give us plenty of action!

Also...

The Rule of Three!

I said you can split your story into half. Well, try to split it into thirds! It will feel more natural. So, you have the introduction where you introduce the characters, then you have the turning point where the characters struggle through whatever (lots of action!!!) and the conclusion where the characters have to deal with it. Right now, the turning point and the conclusion blend with each other too much.

But still.. definitely an awesome first line. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 am
napalmerski says...

Hey,
an exellent little story. Really, once proofread and stuff, it'd be totally on a 'published in a collection' level. I've read stories like this - cool super-fast sci-fi - since I was eight, or nine, and it appears I'll never grow tired of them. Tolstoys and Waughs and Fitzgeralds may appear, but they do not, can not displace in any way the snappy sci-fi. Now sci-fi soaps - this is a crime against the human race. But snappy sci-fi rules, and your is excellent.
Two things: 1 - their unnaturaly blue eyes. The protagonist would aleviate my disbelief better, if he adds 'or so the ones with natural eyes say' or something. You get what I mean. The second thing: do they have a built in anti-violence program? Even if they do - as they deterioriate maybe one or all can snap and go on an organic killing spree? That would be fun. Maybe lurk while studying the world they found and then take power in some small place, and then in some bigger place, a synthetic tyrant from outer space who never gets old... Anyway, just to repeat myself for a third time - a great, snappy piece.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:34 pm
aweqs says...

Hey :)
This is a really amazing piece of writing!
I really enjoyed reading it!

The only thing I noticed was this:

"Glum, I went to my charging deck, Uncle Max following behind sternly."

I dont know what it was, but for some reason I had to read through a few times to understand it,
but that might just me being stupid.
However, I would recommend:

"Feeling glum, I went to my charging deck,as Uncle Max following behind sternly."
or
"With Uncle Max following sternly behind,I went to my charging deck, feeling glum."

Just a suggestion :)

But yeah, as I said, I thoroughly enjoyed this piece, and was gripped throughout it :)
I love the contrast of humour, and mystery- and I want to know what happens next!!
Please write more :)

-Ava

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:12 am
OwlsFly says...

Hi. This is my first review of a short story, so I will try to keep this helpful.

This was absolutely, positively awesome. To tell you the truth, I wasn't going to review this story or any story for that matter, until I read this first sentence. You never know how important the first sentence in a story can be. It could make all the difference, and it did just that. But, while I am on the topic of the lost limb, it seemed that you used that too much. Maybe bring out something else than just the missing limb.

It took me a while to figure out that the "squeamish" people were actually humans. It took a lot of foreshadowing and reading before I finally figured it out. I think the science minions are characters that should be a lot more developed, because it could add a lot more depth to the story.

It also took me forever to actually realize that they were robots. By the time I knew they were robots, I had a whole list of questions in my mind that needed to be answered which the robot thing did.

You did a good job I think by portraying the whole robot point of view. I understand that they are robots, but a little emotion towards the end would be nice. The story was a great idea, but towards the end it lost its vest.

It's a great story, but with some hard work, it could be a lot better.

-Owl.
Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm
KelsRich1 says...

I really enjoyed this story. It was interesting and I really liked the voice of the narrator. It was unique. The only thing that wasn't that great was the ending. I feel like it might need to have a more detailed explanation about what happened during the time they started to rust. It ended too quickly and I was left feeling like something was missing. Maybe you could add a few different situations that the robots had to go through as they were trying to survive. So over all it was a great story and I really enjoyed reading it! But I would just edit the ending a little. Great job!

-Kels :)
"Happy girls are the prettiest" -Audrey Hepburn :)

Reviews: 3
Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:03 am
TrumanSBooth says...

As has been noted, your opening sentence was killer. Brilliant, genius, whatever you want to call it... I loved it. However, I agree that "day" should be changed. Not quite sure what should replace it, but the events of the story happen in much more than a day, so that must be revised for continuity and sense.

Contrary to some of your critics, I liked the casual, unorthodox writing style of the robot. Though I am accustomed to Asimov's limited robots, the AI of your characters is almost childish, which I find suiting as they were some of the first robots of that caliber constructed. Perhaps the early creators gave them such teenage attitudes; if they took the time to make their appearance attractively humanoid, why not match their personalities to that physical mold as well? Anyway, I liked that casual feel in the narration.

There were some moments where things seemed messy, but not too many. Easily revisable, if only read aloud to oneself. Mistakes stick out like sore thumbs when read aloud.

The ending seemed rather abrupt. I like the way you made the comedic story crumble to an almost horrific one, but I think you could have done it slower. Maybe add some specific events between the time they lose Uncle Max to the time they start ripping each other apart for pieces. Build some suspense, use dialogue between the brothers. Maybe make it difficult for them to use Buzz's parts--make them hesitate. That could be an emotional, sickening scene.

With lengthening and fine-tuning, this could be an outstanding science fiction story. Well done.
I certainly hope that you made it this far.

Amiably,
Truman S. Booth

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 am
Hammerofbaal says...

It's been said many times and many ways by numerous people here, but I think this bares repeating. Your opening was brilliant. It had my attention instantly. I also like the little, details like who the robots were named after. Small things like that entertain me to no end.

Criticisms! They are few and far between. First, you're robots don't come across terribly much like robots. They're a little too emotional, just slightly too human. I think it's in the way they describe things. Try thinking about what you notice as a human and then how a robot would see that differently. A few exact measurements and clinical descriptions can go a long way.

I really enjoyed your story and I hope to see more. Good luck!
I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
— Groucho Marx