z

Young Writers Society

[September Contest] Pluto

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:39 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

This is my contest entry. Hope it's decent.

Your story is about an actor in a futuristic space station wondering about life on Pluto.

----------

The Silver Hammer was a space station orbiting Pluto. It was only for the best of the best; many college students and scientists alike dreamed of the day that they would get the letter that said that they had been accepted onto the great craft. It was bristling with the latest in scientific technology; we even had our own Hadron Collider, called the “particle smasher” by most on board, simply because it was easier to say. We had many, many missions on board, but the most prominent one was this; to discover evidence of life on the planet Pluto.

Now, I don’t care what you people think, but Pluto is and always will be a planet.

Yes, in fact, the only thing that was missing from this station was a script for me to follow. Or a nice crisp piece of paper and a good sharp pencil with a decent eraser so I could write one.

You’re probably wondering who I am.

My father is the captain of this vessel. He’s world-renowned for being the best captain there is, and the oldest still in service. He is sixty-four years old. His name is Maxwell Edison, but the crew calls him “Captain Kirk” as a joke.

My name is Thomas. Yeah, Thomas Edison. Laugh it up, I’ve got time.

… Are you done yet?

No?

Well, don’t let me interrupt you then.

How about now?

Thank you.

Anyway, as I was saying, my name is Thomas. Unlike my father or the crew members, I wasn’t exceptionally skilled in anything. At least, not anything that would be useful on the station. I was an actor.

Yes, an actor. A good one too, if I do say so myself. I starred in every high school play, and blew all of my drama teachers away. Then dad got this job and said that I had to come with him onto the station. “It’ll be good for you!” he’d said.

It had been a big fat lie.

The place was just too clean, stuffy, and serious for me. I hated it. Hated it with a burning, fiery passion. All the crew members were scientists and doctors that didn’t have a sense of humor. The only thing that made the entire trip worthwhile was Michelle, and she seemed to enjoy ignoring me. Michelle was the doctor’s daughter. She was French, and blonde, and beautiful, and very intelligent. But most of the time she pretended like I didn’t exist, and when she did, it was to throw off a sarcastic remark or correct me.

All-in-all, my life sucked.

But don’t let me annoy you with my whining about my life. I’m sure you’re tired of it.

I was sitting in my room, staring down at the miserable excuse of a planet through my window. Yes, amazingly enough, they’d decided to call Pluto a planet again after various riots and protests. The landscape was dismal, just gray rock. Rock, rock, rock. That’s all they ever looked at, was rock. “Let’s analyze this”, or “that”, or “that rock there looks different than the rest!”

But in the end, the rocks were just that; rock.

Exciting, right?

If that’s your idea of exciting you have some serious mental problems.

I sighed and unstrapped the belt that held me to the chair. All this state-of-the-art technology, and we still haven’t figured out how to make artificial gravity. I grabbed one of the handles on the wall and launched myself towards the door.

SMACK!

The next thing to be heard was the loud string of profanities that burst from my mouth. I had slammed into the door with surprising speed. God I hate this place.

I wrenched the door open and floated into the hall. I had to admit that the transportation here was genius; Giant fans sent a constant breeze through the station, carrying whoever was in the halls to their destination. To change directions, you simply moved to the other side of the hall. There were handles in three-foot increments all along the walls. They were made from an odd rubber, so if you smacked your head into them, (I’d done this several times), it wouldn’t hurt too badly. I was the reason they were made of rubber, too; they’d been made out of plastic before, and I’d managed to get a concussion on one of them. They’d found me floating past the recreation rooms, with a bunch of little orbs of blood following me around. God that had been embarrassing.

I seized one of the handles and propelled myself into another room. My father was there, along with a couple scientists and that amazing girl that I told you about earlier, Michelle. She looked at me with those wonderful eyes; they were almost like kaleidoscopes; mesmerizing. I gave her a small,, uneasy wave. She rolled her eyes and waved back.

“Edison, get over here. I think we found something!”

That made me freeze. Was it possible? Could there really be life on Pluto? We weren’t alone in the universe? “Wh-What?” Then my acting skills kicked in, and the shock on my face smoothed over. I floated over to the table, grabbing one of the straps on it to keep me from bowling into Michelle. Though that wouldn’t have been too bad, I’m pretty sure she would have killed me. They were crowded around a small rock.

“Yes, there are definitely traces of living bacteria in this rock.”

Cheers burst through the room, ringing in my ears. Ow… But I couldn’t help but be one of the cheerers.

That cheer was abruptly cut short, however, as Michelle grabbed the sides of my face and kissed me.

I found myself kissing her back, wide-eyed, before quickly pulling away. Michelle was wiping off her mouth. “Don’t think that meant anything.”

I nodded, and couldn’t help but be glad for that.

Michelle was a terrible kisser.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:18 pm
TalaPaulwic says...

Hah! Look how popular on a website you are now! Look at it... look at it.... ARE YOU LOOKING?! I'll assume you are.

My name is TalaPaulwic, or as you know me, Skyeler. I will be your reviewer for today because it seems that you fail to have any reviews as of yet.

Overall this is alright. You references to the Beatles (yes I caught each and every one of them) were poor. You only made a half reference, and that was a sin against the Beatles. Such a sin is punishable by getting Michelle stuck in your head. I think I've scolded you enough over AIM for this and I hope you learn from your mistake.

Exciting, right?

If that’s your idea of exciting you have some serious mental problems.

Yes it is, and yes, I do.

Your style on this was pretty cool. I liked it. It was easy to read. However it didn't look to professional, it looked more like something someone wrote for fun.

Then my acting skills kicked in, and the shock on my face smoothed over.

You forgot that the person you were writing about was an actor didn't you? You realized that you didn't make much reference to that fact, and felt that you had to or people would point it out. Well it looked very sloppy.

Hey, I'm just a mean reviewer, okay?! It wasn't that bad young lady.
All I can hear; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". Even those tears; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". No one's frightened of playing it. Everyone's saying it. Flowing more freely than wine. All through your life; "I me mine".

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:48 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Howdy Croc :) Jai here, after procrastinating. I read this about five hours ago and was going to review it, but got caught up with playing DotA amongst other things. So here's my review now :D

It was bristling with the latest in scientific technology; we even had our own Hadron Collider, called the “particle smasher” by most on board, simply because it was easier to say.

Unless this space station had access to warp zones (or whatever the future brings), I doubt that it would have the latest technology. I imagine this is at least 100 years into the future. Technology evolves exponentially. By the time the space station has upgraded it's hardware from the shipment from earth, there would be already better methods of doing whatever was just upgraded. If you know what I mean. And why in the world would you need a Hadron Collider in the ship?

Or a nice crisp piece of paper and a good sharp pencil with a decent eraser so I could write one.

In reality, would paper still be around?

Michelle was the doctor’s daughter.

I'm just going to assume that everyone is allowed to bring their spawn with them when they go on multi-billion dollar expeditions.

Yes, amazingly enough, they’d decided to call Pluto a planet again after various riots and protests.

This should probably be up above when you mentioned it the first time. Otherwise it sounds like you're repeating yourself.

I wrenched the door open and floated into the hall. I had to admit that the transportation here was genius; Giant fans sent a constant breeze through the station, carrying whoever was in the halls to their destination.

Why is "giant" capitalized?

They were made from an odd rubber, so if you smacked your head into them, (I’d done this several times), it wouldn’t hurt too badly.

lol, I'm enjoying the tone of the narrator :)

I seized one of the handles and propelled myself into another room. My father was there, along with a couple of scientists and that amazing girl that I told you about earlier, Michelle.

She looked at me with those wonderful eyes; they were almost like kaleidoscopes; mesmerizing.

Um, lol. Maybe, "her eyes were a kaleidoscope of colour; mesmerizing." At the moment when I read this I imagine her eyes twisting in circles in their sockets. It makes me feel a tad creeped out :P

“Edison, get over here. I think we found something!”

Unless they're talking to his father, I don't believe the scientists would think the main character was important enough to call over.

Michelle was a terrible kisser.

Slightly anti-climatic ending?

So, overall this was a good story for the what the generator spat out at you - if any planet was likely to have life, it certainly wouldn't be Pluto. It's way too far from the sun, and its orbit is really weird. Any life that managed to develop would die during the swing away from the sun.

You have a very entertaining way of telling stories :)

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Thanks Jai. :) I want to fix it, but I'm at 999 words now, and can't go any higher... :S
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:27 pm
Stori says...

Hey, I just thought I would point out some errors.

I gave her a small,,

Where'd that second comma coem from?

But most of the time she pretended like I didn’t exist, and when she did,

I assume you mean "when she did notice". The sentence doesn't make much sense otherwise.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:44 pm
aweqs says...

I love your style of writing- very relaxed, and humourous.
The main character is very likeable, and easy to relate to.

Maybe there could be more description on how he feels about his father and his choice to drag him into space?
That could add some depth to the piece , and some background info before he boarded the Silver Hammer (love that name by the way :) ).
Just a suggestion though :)
I didnt notice any grammar/ punctuation mistakes etc etc,
but im a pretty bad reviewer so... :)

Overall, this piece is a nice little read, with a relaxed, jokey feel to it,
and i really enjoyed it!

-Ava

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate