z

Young Writers Society

Apocalypse, Ferrets, and Ruins (part one of three)

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:17 am
TheWalkinDude says...

Author's note: this is one of my first additions for a series of apocalypse based stories, poems, novellas, etc. that I'm going to be posting on here. This is part one of hopefully three parts of my newest story "Apocalypse, Ferrets, and Ruins". I sincerely hope you like it. Also, keep in mind, although this is rather short, there are more parts to it. I didn't want to post too much at one time to scare people away. Now, onto the story
Has been edited one.

When I opened my eyes, all I saw was light. Bright, blinding light that wouldn't cease its painful barrage on my dull eyes. I began to wonder if I had somehow traveled back in time, back to my birth, back when light was first introduced. I hoped so. At least then I could see my mom and dad’s faces again, even if only for a moment. Nothing would make me happier than to be free of this nightmare that won't even go away when I am awake.

Gradually, the light weakened and I could finally see things. Did I see a doctor in a birthing room or my mother and father? No, of course not. This was the real world, or what was left of it. A dull, rust colored sky that reminded me of a rooster's ass splayed out above me and trees as bare as the girls in those dirty books surrounded me with a false wall of security. A cold breeze gusted through the tree I was hanging in, and I almost thought I could hear music. But that was false security as well.

I slowly sat up right in my hammock and looked around, checking my perimeter in a way. When one was subject to constant threat of being killed by those that were infected, they tend to check their area out of habit. Everything seemed to be clear, though, and I looked over at my rucksack to see if Peter was up yet.

Peter, my pet ferret, had his head poking out of the top flap. He was looking around as well, though whether it was for survival or not was debatable. Yawning and stretching, he crawled out slowly and laid on top of my chest.

“Peter, you wryly little furball, have you been up all morning waiting on me?” Peter stared back at me as if in response. I shook my head at him like a mother would at her child after being caught digging around in the cookie jar. "What am I to do with you?" Eat him? I thought. No, he's too valuable. Life is more bearable with him around.

My hammock was twelve feet off the ground. Plenty high to be out of reach if someone came in the night and tried to attack me. Okay, maybe not, but it was just another one of those false securities that made sleeping easier. After I had gotten out, I untied the lines, tossed the rope hammock into my rucksack and shouldered it so I could climb down. There was a loud crunch of leaves as I finally fell to the ground, landing on both feet, ready to run in the case that I had missed any dangers. No other sound hit my ears except for the sounds of the birds playing cops and robbers (although I was never fully able to recognize a bird by sight like my father used to, I was always able to picture them as cops and robbers, what with the way they sometimes flew around in circles chasing each other, going chirrup! and cheep-cheep-cheeeeep! and even kah! kah! kah! as if shooting each other in escape). I decided to leave.

As I walked out of the little patch of trees I had bedded in, heading for the field that surrounded and finally the main rode I’ve been following, I began to think about Z-Poc, the thing that turned Earth, God’s playground, into Hell, as if God took a magnifying glass and just started frying us humans. Except Z-Poc was biological, so it would be more like God taking a vial of small pox and spilling it all over His playground so then the other kids would get sick and vacate, never to return again, giving Him free rein.

Z-Poc stands for Zombie Apocalypse. Although there were never any real zombies, there were creatures and monsters. At least, so to speak.

Edit: Okay, I'm getting people saying that I need to explain my character more. When I said this is part one of three, I didn't mean that they were parts like in a book. I mean they were parts as in when I add part two, it'll start right where this left off. My whole story all together will be very long, so I'm trying to break this up into an introduction, which I tend to suck at, a middle, and an end. Now, keep this in mind before you go right off saying that I need to show more of my character or something. In the middle part, things will be revealed.
Last edited by TheWalkinDude on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm striving to be the Architect of the Apocalypse, Master of the Massacre, Ruler of the Rapture, and the Führer of the Fatal.

"It is the tale, not he who tells it." --Stephen King

Take THAT, society!

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:28 am
WaitingForLife says...

Off the bat, you've got a talent for writing. Really. I'm pretty sure you already knew this, but just felt like pointing it out.
You've got a good main character, and the ferret was a nice extra touch. You could have shown a little more of the personality of the MC though (shown us how he views the apocalypse, and so on), but if this is only part 1 of three, I guess you've still got time for that.
-------------------------------------------
Just a couple of nitpicks I found:

Peter, my pet ferret, must have felt me stir from my rucksack, for as soon as I looked over, I could see him poking his head out of the top flap.

You should re-word the bolded part, as now it seems that the MC was inside the rucksack. And if your idea was that the MC was in the rucksack, change it :D.

“Ahh, Peter, what am I to do with you? Now you’re going to be sleepy all day and you’re just going to want to lounge about in my rucksack all day again.”

The repetition of "all day" so close together here isn't working for me.

shouldered it so then I could climb down.

Lose the "then" here.

As I walked out of the little patch of trees I had bedded in, heading for the field that surrounded it and finally the main rode that I’ve been following,

--------------------------------

This seems like a good story up to now, I'd be glad to read more. On another note, if there are just three parts in this story - and they're all the same length as this - then this beggining is too long. This seems more like the beggining of a small novel, if it's supposed to be a short-ish story, something should happen sooner.
But yeah, good story, good character, and I love the idea of the ferret. Keep writing!

Yours truly,
|WaitingForLife|
Call me crazy; I prefer 'enjoys life while one can'.
-------
The pen's mightier than the sword - especially when it's wielded by a flipmothering dragon.
-------
◥▶◀◤

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:26 am
Yuriiko says...

Hey there!

Here to review. :3

When I opened my eyes, all I saw was light. Bright, blinding light.

Not a very good opening line. It seems that the adjectives present here can be replaced by showing. Like for example, describe his eyes hurt when he face the light or something.

Suddenly, the light seemed to bend and take on multiple shapes.

I find this hard to imagine. Perhaps it has something to do with your wording and lack of description.

after day one of Z-Poc.

What is that? Just wondering.

Tree limbs and a sky the color of a rooster’s tail feathers greeted my waking vision.

This is a bit awkward to read. Try rephrasing it. ^^

I quickly sat up and checked my perimeter, which consisted of only the tree I had set up in and the forest the tree itself was in.

As much as possible try to slash out those adverbs because they weaken the prose. As with the second phrase, I have to read it twice or even thrice to understand but it doesn't still work on me. I think you have shuffled up some words and repetition of 'tree' starts to annoy me. :3

“Peter, you wryly little furball, have you been up all morning waiting on me?” Peter stared back at me as if that were to be his response. I shook my head, giving him the normal tsk-tsk as I did every morning. “Ahh, Peter, what am I to do with you? Now you’re going to be sleepy all day and you’re just going to want to lounge about in my rucksack all day again.”

The dialogs are fine, but isn't too much of your character talking to a ferret?

The hammock I had made into my bed for the night had been at least twelve feet off the ground and secured to two or three different branches.

Try compressing this into a shorter sentence.

After I had gotten out, I untied the lines and tossed the rope hammock into my rucksack and shouldered it so then I could climb down.

Repetitions are popping out again. Also, try erasing some words that you might find unnecessary and I think you meant to say "that" instead of "then".

No other sounds hit my ears besides the sounds of the birds playing cops and robbers

You might want to reread this again. It's because there are a lot of 's' here. The 'sounds' should only be 'sound'.

~

So I think there are still lots of grammatical errors which sounds incorrect. Maybe it has something to do with your main character's narration. It's because first of all, you haven't taken the chance to introduce himself to your readers. Especially when it comes to your first paragraph, it leaves me confused. Therefore, grab the time to let your character speak of himself, his situation or even the place because he seems to blabber things I couldn't even relate with.

Grammatically speaking, you have a weak prose. Your choice of words are not really that strong and it appears that you haven't executed properly the words that you want to express. They seem to be all mixed up thus,some phrases are awkwardly worded. And sometimes I have to read it twice so I could comprehend the description and even you character's point of view. And there are some rough areas that needs to be smoothen up. So two things that you should do: reread and edit.

Last but not the least, show don't tell. Enough said.

Overall, this has potential. I hope you don't see this review harsh or something because these are all just based on my opinions. Hope this helps and PM me for any questions.

Happy holidays!

~yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:42 pm
the doctor says...

The fact that you are one year younger than me...well, that makes me jealous :P Well, my first impression of your work is that you have a highly descriptive voice, one that has experience and knowledge both as an asset. However there needs to be more in the beginning. I need more of the setting, especially because this is science fiction and that is the one big huge aspect of sci-fi you cannot miss out on. Science fiction is about exploring the colourful world that you have created. No overdoing, but at least some descriptions. Hope that helped.

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 am
Kafkaescence says...

I like the potential of this story. Not that it isn't already REALLY cliched, but I have a feeling your retelling will make a whole new story out of the topic.

Now, right at the beginning, I am confused. Frankly, I simply do not see someone waking up and their very first thought being, Wow! I must have traveled back in time! I'm sorry, but it doesn't work for me. Perhaps he could wake up with the thought of something more...familiar?

Now, I do feel you could really get deep and mysterious with this story, but, forgive me, I feel that a lot of the possible mystery is instead put into humor. I.e.,
A dull, rust colored sky that reminded me of a rooster's ass splayed out above me and trees as bare as the girls in those dirty books surrounded me with a false wall of security.

Rooster's ass? Come on.

This occurs some other times throughout the story, but I won't go into details.

This could all be completely purposeful, and if you are attempting to create something of a parody of zombie apocalypse stories, I would completely agree with you. However, if you are not, I would consider revising this.

You do a good job with this piece. I'll review part two as soon as I can.
#TNT

WRFF

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:54 am
time8keeper says...

So, first off, I definitely enjoyed this. You've definitely got talent in the writing area! I like science fiction and apocalypse stories in general, so this definitely piqued my interest, so kudos to you for writing in a fantastic genre :)

Although I do find this a little vague, it's still really good. And beginnings are usually vague anyway, so really, that's not much of a problem.

A dull, rust colored sky that reminded me of a rooster's ass splayed out above me and trees as bare as the girls in those dirty books surrounded me with a false wall of security.

So I do find this a little crude, but that's just my inner innocent soul talking, because in reality, I find this sentence rather amusing. I commend you on it in fact, because it's biting, but not so biting that this book would be banned from my life forever :P
A cold breeze gusted through the tree I was hanging in, and I almost thought I could hear music. But that was false security as well.

I don't really get why you're saying that your main character thinking he/she can hear music is a false security. And "gusted" may not be the word you're looking for. It's not exactly wrong, it's just a sort of strange word to pick.

I think your dialogue is a little too formal to be realistic. It sounds like a sort of British way of speaking. I don't know, it's just a little formal for my taste. But considering I don't know much about your main character yet, this might be acceptable. Just something to think on. :)

(although I was never fully able to recognize a bird by sight like my father used to, I was always able to picture them as cops and robbers, what with the way they sometimes flew around in circles chasing each other, going chirrup! and cheep-cheep-cheeeeep! and even kah! kah! kah! as if shooting each other in escape).

I actually really like this line. My only suggestion to make it better is that you might want to just scratch the "although" and the parentheses and make this a whole new sentence. I really do like it though because it gives a little more insight into your character.

Overall, I enjoyed this and I'll most likely be reading the other parts of this. As far as intros go, this is great :) Keep writing! You're really great at it! :)

~time8keeper
"And in that moment I swear we were infinite." -The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:58 am
Twbviper says...

TheWalkinDude wrote:As I walked out of the little patch of trees I had bedded in, heading for the field that surrounded and finally the main rode I’ve been following,...

Road, not rode. Everything looks good otherwise. Can't wait to see more.

Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly