z

Young Writers Society

Folie à Plusieurs (A Plot Summary)

Reviews: 2
Mon May 30, 2011 9:02 pm
sheepkitty says...

A woman called Katti, 22 years of age, born in 2017.
Romanian, a student in law. Has a younger sister, and many half siblings she has never met. Father died in Libya four months after her younger sisters birth. Distraught her mother cannot cope with looking after the both of them, and at the age of nine she is made to live on the streets.
A local orphanage picks her up off the street after a short amount of time which she perceives as months, and she wastes her time reading books, as the orphanage cannot afford for her to go to mainstream school. She is discovered to have Savant Syndrome once she reads a Latin textbook cover to cover, and is writing poetry fluently in the language the next day.
Once the story of her talent hits the press, she quickly finds a set of foster parents who make a living off of her, making her recite works of Shakespeare word for word, much to peoples amazement. After six years of hard labour, she is found by a prestigious university who offers her a scholarship there in exchange for explaining to the professors and staff how she can pick up such complicated concepts so fast. She studies law at the university for 5 years, and graduates with honours. She moves to Thailand to study some more unusual law cases that are currently open, and is directed to an asylum in Chiang Mai.
She is greeted by three women when she arrives, who are packing and just about to leave. When she asks then why they are so desperate to leave, she is shown to a locked corridor in the back of the building. All the other women leave, but the youngest, a very beautiful woman called Chailai, stays to open the doors. All the young women in the ward are extremely thin, and Chailai tells Katti that they have refused to eat for weeks. They won't let her touch them, and do not believe that it is her when they tell them. At the very end of the corridor is a girl around sixteen, tied down with restraints. Chailai says she is called Khwamba. Her and the other women running the asylum are convinced she is a witch, as before she arrived, the other people on the ward were admitted with completely different ailments. Each and every one of the women in the ward is convinced that they cannot die, and are trapped in an eternal state of immortality. They continue to believe this even when other people on the ward die of starvation.
After much research and investigation, Katti and Chailai discover that the women have developed Cotard Capgras, a disorder where they believe they are all dead, and only their souls have survived, and that the people they know have been replaced with doubles for continuity, and cannot be trusted. They nurse and look after Khwamba intensely, and find out about her past, including her deep involvement in the Thai drug trade. They later conclude that this is what must have caused her paranoia. Katti goes away for a month to Southern Thailand to find out more about the drug trade and try and find Khwamba's estranged brother, Phuna. When she arrives in the slums in the small town of Krong Pinang; she finds Khwamba's brother the leader of a large drug ring, which his sister once fell trap to. Disgusted by his betrayal, she reports him to the national police, and leaves without seeing him again.
When she returns to the asylum, she finds that Chailai has fallen ill. Like the other women, she refuses to eat and doesn't let Katti near her. When Katti questions Khwamba, she says she fell like it after a few weeks of her looking after her constantly. Once Katti tells her of what she saw of her brother and what happened, she begins to trust her much more. Chailai later dies of starvation, and Katti falls into grief. Khwamba begins to trust Katti's words and starts to eat again, and is soon able to stand. Weeks of vigourous teaching convinces her that Katti is the real and only her, and always will be. The news of Chailai's death hits the press, and Khwamba is wanted as a mass murderer. Pitying her, Katti takes her away back to Romania, and they live over 3 months without problems.
In the dead of the night, someone knocks on the door. Katti runs to Khwamba's room to take her away before they find her, but she is balancing precariously on the balcony ledge. She turns and says that she'll be fine because she never was alive, and she jumps. End.
"I request the highest of fives"

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 pm
freewritersavvy says...

Welcome to YWS!

Well that was different...

It reads in style I really don't prefer. It reads like a fact book instead of a story. There is no problem with doing it this way if you choose but it does make it rather; bland, emotionless, and it does not give the reader any connection to the characters.
Writing in this style also makes your story very hard to remember.

The idea has potential but it needs some work if you want people to remember it. However, if you like writing like this then go for it! Write for yourself not for your readers. Just keep in mind it may not stand out to others.

Keep writing,
~FW~

If you have any questions, comments or would just like to talk feel free to PM me. :)
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

Mon May 30, 2011 9:26 pm
sheepkitty says...

Hey! I was leaving it here as a plot summary so I could get a verdict on whether my plot was good or not before I got in depth with writing it! This isn't my usual writing style, but with lots of exams coming up and big events in my schedule I'm not willing to continue with a plot no-one else will enjoy. This is just a quick brush over all my ideas. But if you think the plot was good, then that's very encouraging to me, thank you :)

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon May 30, 2011 9:30 pm
freewritersavvy says...

Yes, :) I like your plot!

~FW~
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Tue May 31, 2011 5:35 am
Jenthura says...

Hmm, If you ever need help on the Thai side of things, I can certainly help! For one thing, you cannot simply report a drug ring leader to the police and expect them to be caught. Most drug ring leaders here have bribed contacts in the police force ;)
I must admit that the plot does seem to ramble a little bit, but it reflects the characters with all their psychosis and whatnot. :D
PM me when you write your first chapter, I wanna read it!
-ж-Ж-ж-

Tue May 31, 2011 6:29 pm
sheepkitty says...

Thank you very much! I think the most research for any element of this book will be for Phuna's section of the story, looking into the behaviour of gangs and drug dealers, people struggling with addictions, and the tracking and breaking of large drug dealing operations. I am extremely grateful that you pointed it out to me though, I know exactly where to improve the storyline now!

I will message you when I have written my first chapter, I'm writing the prologue as we speak. :)
Thank you so much!

okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues