z

Young Writers Society

Manifestation: Part 1

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:22 am
msgolds12 says...

Hey, everyone. This is the first part of story I'm working on. Let me know what elements work for you, and which ones you think are on the weaker side. I would especially like recommendations on how to make the action seem more fluid.

-------

Our van came to a halt as we approached the checkpoint on I-95. Peter sat calmly in the driver’s seat, with a look of Zen-like composure on his face. In the backseat, Miguel looked considerably less relaxed. From the rear-view mirror, I saw that the snake tattoos that covered his arms were quivering, giving the illusion that they were slithering across his arms. In a different scenario, it might have been an amusing sight. For somebody who was accustomed to seeing death and violence on a regular basis, Miguel constantly seemed to be the most fearful of all of us. Maybe it was the fact that he was no longer one of the guys with the guns. Not like guns would have done us any good, anyways. Our most valuable weapon was sitting right there in the driver’s seat.
Peter rolled down his window. A young and scrawny-looking soldier cautiously approached the car; he couldn’t have been older than nineteen. “Where are you heading?” he asked Peter, the uneasiness clear in his voice.
“Richmond,” Peter replied without any hint of hesitation. “My name is Peter Steinberg. I am a professor of Computer Science at Virginia Commonwealth University. We are on our way back from a conference at NYU.”
“Let me see some credentials,” the soldier said doubtfully.
Peter gave the young man his driver’s license and university ID. The man carefully examined it while keeping his rifle aimed at Peter. After a few moments he handed the cards back to Peter, slightly more at ease. “Who is in the car with you?” asked the soldier.
“This is Stacy Oakes and Miguel Rodriguez, two of my graduate research assistants.”
The soldier poked his head in the car and regarded us with suspicion. His eyes rested on Miguel, who was still trembling. “You don’t look like a grad student.”
Miguel quickly regained his composure. “What, you saying ‘cause I don’t look look like some preppy-ass white boy that I can’t go to school? That’s some racist shit, yo! What the fuck is that?”
“If you’re a graduate student, then what’s your research in?” the soldier countered.
“Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics! I’ll bet your dumb ass doesn’t even know what that means!” Peter had made us carefully rehearse our answers precisely for this type of scenario. Miguel had a tendency to improvise more than we liked him to.
The soldier hesitated for a second before turning his attention to me. I don’t think he had gotten a good glimpse of my face before, because he turned bright red when he saw me. Men have a tendency to do that around me. My mother used to say that my body was capable of distracting an entire army. “Do you have anything in that trunk that I should know about, ma’am?” he asked me politely.
“Just our luggage and some of the materials from our presentation, sir,” I replied with a smile.
“Would you mind stepping our of the car and showing me? It’s not that I don’t believe you, but I’m required to do this for every car that comes through. There has been some movement of weapons by guerillas of Marked Manifestors in the area. It’ll just take a moment.”
I opened the door and carefully stepped out of the car. He didn’t put his gun on me, which was a good thing. It meant he trusted us. I walked to the back of the car and lifted the trunk. The soldier came around and poked his head in for a second. Lying in the trunk were three suitcases, and a poster-board that Peter had used for a research presentation two years ago. The soldier opened up Peter’s suitcase and gave a cursory glance at the contents: a pair of nicely folded button down shirts, a pair of slacks, two pairs of jeans, a VCU tee shirt. The young man zipped up the suitcase and closed the trunk.
The soldier walked back up to Peter. “It looks like everything’s in order,” he said. I felt relief sweeping over me. I had been terrified of Peter’s plan of staying on the main highways, but he was confident that this was the safest route. He was probably right. “You’re almost free to go,” continued the soldier. “There is just one more thing we have to check, but I’m going to need you all to step out of the car, first. We are making sure that no more Manifestors make it to Washington. I’m sure you understand.”
In an instant, all the relief that I felt went away. There is only one thing that he could be looking for: the mark. If the soldier saw it, things would not end prettily. Peter stepped out of the car with his usual calmness, but Miguel didn’t move. I could see from the window that he was shuddering so much he was practically convulsing. The soldier glanced in at Miguel. “Sir! I said get out of the car!”
Miguel screamed in a panic, “Why do we need to get out of the fucking car? We don’t have any weapons? You said everything looked okay! Why don’t you just let us go? We’re in a hurry!”
The soldier pointed the gun at Miguel. “Sir! I said get out of the goddam car! I do not have the time to fuck around with loudmouths like you! I have a job to do!”
“No! I’m not moving!”
“Sir, I am going to count to three, and if you do not get out of the car by then I am going to blow your fucking head off! One… two…”
Miguel quickly scrambled out of the car.
“Good,” said the soldier. "Now face the car and put both of your hands on it where I can see them."
I could see the fear on Miguel’s face as he slowly and reluctantly complied. The soldier lifted up Miguel’s wife-beater shirt from the back. His face quickly turned to one of horror. “Don’t move, Manifestor!” He aimed his gun at Miguel and picked up his handheld radio. However, before he could call for back up, he disintegrated and his clothing fell into a heap on the ground. Miguel look back to see Peter pointing his hand in the direction where the soldier had previously been standing. Miguel looked at Peter in shock, despite having seen him do this before.
Soldiers from the surrounding kiosks had begun to notice the commotion and were starting to move in on us. With a sweep of his hand, all of them met the same fate as their counterpart.
“Quickly! Get in the car!” shouted Peter. “We need to get off of the highway! I’m positive that one of those guys radioed for back up! We need to get on the back roads where they won’t follow us!”
“I thought you said those roads weren’t safe!” I cried.
“They’re not! They’re surrounded with Feeders!” Peter replied. “But if we stay on here we’re bound to get caught! I don’t have enough strength to fight off an entire army! I used up a lot of my energy back there. I’ll be able to ward off Feeders for a couple hours, but we need to find a safe house by nightfall!”
As we were pulling off the highway, I saw a squadron of military vehicles pulling in by the kiosk. They weren’t going to follow us. Not even the military wants to deal with the Feeders.
Last edited by msgolds12 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:18 am
Bromthebard says...

Very good, you got me hooked on the story. It flowed good, I really can't suggest anything about transitions. One thing is, though, “Good,” said the soldier. Now face the car and put both of your hands on it where I can see them.
you didn't open and close the quotation marks after the 'said the soldier' part. It should read, ' "Good," said the soldier, "Now, face the car and put both of your hands on it where I can see them." ' Other than that it's really good. Can you private message me when you post more of this?
I am.... a New Age Inkling! We must continue the fight for young authors, for it is the brave mans part to write with glory or with glory be rejected! (taken from a fellow New Age Inkling, Highlander)

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown

Random avatar

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am
msgolds12 says...

I fixed it! Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely notify you when I have completed the next section.

Reviews: 4
Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 pm
zencherry says...

I love how you referr to the zombies (or the creatures) as "feeders." I am excited to read the next chapter of this story!
Happiness is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:15 am
Kaijudospartan says...

Okay, just pointing out a few mistakes....
My mother used to say that my body was capable distracting an entire army

Correction:
My mother used to say that my body was capable of distracting an entire army

If the soldier saw it, things would not end pretty.

If the soldier saw it, things would not end prettily
Well, other than that, I am pleased to say that I can't find any other mistakes. Besides that, your plot is generally good, and the flow of action is well maintained. So, keep writing, would you kindly?
We are Legion.

Random avatar

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm
msgolds12 says...

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the delay about getting Part 2 done. I just graduated college, and moving out / getting resituated has been taking up most of my time. I will try and get it posted by the end of the week!

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 pm
cookEmonster says...

ITS SO GOOD. ADD MORE, HURRY. xD
I love it so far! hahha, I really like how you feel like your part of the story and all.
This is definetely one of my new favorites! :)
To accept life is to accept the fate it comes with- we were born to die.
So why not make the best of what we've been given with the short time we have on earth?
I like to live every day to it's fullest. (: And writing helps me do that...

"Now I realize that there is no righteous path, it’s just people trying to do their best in a world where it is far too easy to do your worst."
— Castiel