z

Young Writers Society

Robotic Heart

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:04 am
Mickixoxo says...

Spoiler! :
Ahh this is for Kafka's contest and amazingly, it actually didn't take that long considering the fact that I had a prewritten story that fit perfectly with my given prompt (lucky, right?) so with a little editing (and by editing, I mean adding a whole page to it XD) it's finally up to my posting standards.

Inspired by the song Kokoro

“Now, open your eyes,” came a voice from somewhere near. My eyes flickered open quietly and I saw a man with blond hair and blue eyes sitting in front of me. The corners of his mouth were turned up and his eyes sparkled. I didn't understand this emotion on his face or what it was for. Why was his mouth this way? What caused this... happiness?

“Good morning,” he told me.

“Good morning,” I replied.

“Do you know who I am?”

“You are my professor,” I said. He stood up and looked down at me.

“Is the system working properly?”

“No problem.”

“Then your name is... Kokoro.”

I was a robot made by a lonely scientist. Some said that it was a miracle, making a robot that looked exactly like a human. I was perfectly made, moving and speaking. I was a “miracle” to say the least. But I was still missing just one thing. One thing that couldn't be made. That thing is called a “heart”. A program. Humans have this program built in from before they're born, but I was without.

I was made by my professor, a genius, in a bacteria-free laboratory. He used to smile at me with that puzzling smile of his. In the beginning, when I was new to this lab, he was always excited and seemed extremely happy whenever he saw me, showing a smiled so wide and emotions in his eyes I could never fathom. I never understood what that meant, and it seemed as if, over the years, his smiles faltered. “I want to teach and share with you, the happiness and sadness of mankind,” he would say. “That is my wish.” As a robot, I never understood.

He tried to teach me this through voice and music. He would sing songs that usually involved “happiness” or “love”. His words while singing always came out with many different emotions attached. Yet whenever I sang the same words, they were flat and unemotional. I wanted to know what this was, why I couldn't sing like he could. I wanted what the humans had, I wanted a “heart” and feelings that could be noticed and accepted by the outside world.

He always seemed so happy, but sometimes, when he wasn't aware that I was operating, I saw him with a wet face. The source of the wetness was his eyes. Tears, they were called.

I knew everything about humans, it was in my programming. They laughed when they were happy, cried when they were sad, and sometimes were conflicted and didn't even know how to feel, themselves. One thing that always bothered me was a human's ability to hold all of these feelings inside of their limited knowledge base. I knew everything that could be known by man, I knew more than these people, yet they experienced more than I. How could that be?

His tall figure was not facing me. He had his eyes focused on the computer with the glowing red words of “error”. He was startled as I tugged gently on his lab coat and pointed to the sheet music. His eyes turned blank and he suddenly embraced me tightly, as if he wanted someone to comfort him. “I can see my reflection in your empty eyes. What does that mean to you?” he cried, the wetness seeping into my shirt.

I was an immortal being. I could withstand plagues and old age. But that was only me. My professor could not say the same. For him, time was not infinite. But right then I didn't understand yet.

“Why do you cry?” I asked.

Every day, on schedule, I would wake up. My professor would smile as he always did and unplug the wires from my limbs. Every day he would tap his fingers on the many keys of the many computers and try his hardest to make up the one program I was lacking.

As the days passed, my professor got thinner and withered away until he was unable to tap his fingers on the keys anymore. As his eyes began losing their shine, he turned to me with a smile, the large green words “Project Complete” written on the computer screens. “Kokoro,” he whispered in his raspy voice, “Don't ever open this system” he told me. “It might be too much for you.”

A few hundred years passed before me, left alone by the world. The once bacteria-free laboratory withering, faltering, and dying as well. I, the robot of miracle, wanted to make a wish. I wanted to know the thing that man was working on, until the end of his life. This “heart” that he made for me, I wanted to experience.

Hundreds of years with no one by my side. A blank stare always upon my face. I didn't understand. As the world turned and changed around me, twigs growing into enormous trees and my professor getting thinner until he was merely bone, I didn't know what I was supposed to do, what to feel. What was the program, the “heart” that I yearned for?

“Hey Koko, come here,” he shouted. I peeked my head out from the laboratory doors. He was standing tall, waiting for me over by a small tree.

“Yes, Professor?” I asked in my monotone voice.

“You see this tree?”

“Yes, Professor.”

“Do you know what will happen to this tree?”

“Yes, Professor.” The small wimpy branches moved as the light breeze brushed against them in the winter air. He looked at me expectantly, his long blond hair - held back with a thin tie – blowing as well. “The tree will grow into a larger tree and, in hundreds of years, it will die.”

He smiled and patted my head. “Yes, but only after spreading its seeds. That is the fate of every living thing. As one grows old, they spread seeds all over. Be it literal, or more figurative, everyone leaves something behind when they pass on.”

“But in time, even the seeds they left behind will wither and die, Professor.”

He looked upon me sadly, “I suppose. But those seeds will grow and spread even more seeds, and those seeds will do the same.” He looked at me and pushed my hair behind my ear. “Even with no brain, one lives on in peoples memories. But with no heart, one never lives from the beginning.”

I stared blankly, wondering if he was trying to get a reaction from me by dangling my only missing program in my face.

“Do you know what 'kokoro' means?”

“Yes, Professor. In Japanese 'kokoro' is the word for 'heart'.”

“Yes, but it's not just ones heart. It's also the feelings and thoughts connected to the heart, as well as the soul.”

“It is also the name you presented me with, Professor.”

He chuckled and closed his eyes. “Yes. Yes it is.”

I defied his warning. The old computer, still operating just as I, lit up with the bright light of my professor's work. Tapping a few keys at a time, the keys I watched him tap so many years ago. I plugged the large wires into my shoulder and waited for the program to upload.

I gasped, my ears rang and a small pressure grew inside my chest. My heart awakened and pounded painfully deep inside. Now it began to move, the miracle accelerating. I closed my eyes as the feelings, the “kokoro”, began to take over. Salt water leaked from my eyes and I held up my hands in front of me, the drops of water gently falling onto them. Why won't my tears stop? My heart beat came alive even more and accelerated. I looked at my hands, the shaking getting worse. Why am I trembling? I grabbed at my chest, the overwhelming feelings pouring into me. Is this my desired “heart”?

One hand clutching at my chest, my heartbeat still increasing, it felt like it would burst from my body. I remember when that man took me outside in the season of fall, crazily jumping through the bright leaves and laughing as he tried to explain “fun” and “enjoyment”. I didn't understand back then.

As the feelings ran through my body, my heartbeat still accelerating, I laughed with the tears still streaming down my face. The memories now I looked back on as 'happy' somehow felt painful. How deep and touching these feelings are.

I ran outside and felt the warm breeze against my face. The flowers on the ground, they were beautiful and bright. I ran around everywhere, letting the happiness I finally found resonate within me. This is what he wanted me to feel. The things he could not explain. The joyful things he knew, the sorrowful things he knew. Everything was so deep and painful.

I then began to realize the reason I was born. Surely it's lonely with no one by your side. Yes, that day, that time, in all those memories the “heart” was overflowing. I remembered the time he played in those leaves. He was so happy but I didn't understand his “happiness” or his “heart”. Then I smiled, looking back and realizing everything he felt, everything he wanted to teach me.

Finally, I can sing this. These real and true words, I am dedicating them to you. My heart and my world, they are all for you.

Thank you for bringing me into this world, for letting me experience the joys surrounding my life. Thank you for the happy days you spent with me by my side. Thank you for everything you gave me.

The first miracle was that you gave me life. The second miracle was the time we spent together.
I ran all over the field outside of the run-down lab that day. Picking flowers and throwing them all over the place where you gave me life. Here. I give these flowers to you. All of these flowers, these feelings I hadn't known. I will give them to you. I will sing forever, for all eternity. Thank you. Thank you. Now I can stay with you forever in this place where you gave me life. Together with you, thank you.

“A message is... being received... The source is...from the future,” the stoic voice of the computer told the blond professor.

“For me?” he asked himself.

It reached across a few hundred years, this message. A singing voice from an angel of the future, a song sung straight from her heart. A shape began to emerge from near the professor's chair. A shape of the robot he could not give a heart to. But this one was different. As she sang her thank you's out to him, the emotions shone through.

She opened her eyes and his reflection was no longer in the emptiness.. She collapsed into tears and hugged his legs close to her. Her love and appreciation shone through her heart more than anything he had ever witnessed before.

His smile grew and he knelt down in front of her. The tears of happiness streamed down both of their faces as they hugged each other to themselves.

The first miracle was that you were born. The second miracle was time we spent together. The third miracle was a truly sincere heart from the future.

He held her hand and hugged her as passionately as they both possibly could. He tried to hold on as tightly as he was able to but the time from the future was limited and she faded away. The look she held, though, when she left, was enough for him to be happy and the tears of joy flooded painfully hard. She had grasped her heart and was thankful for everything he had ever given her.

The fourth miracle was that two miracles had occurred at the same time. One was a sudden communication from the future, another one was a program modification. With this program modification she finally obtained the 'heart' that she yearned for. Though his life ended, he entrusted her the key to the miracle.

The program was exactly a miracle. The robot that obtained the “heart” kept running. She basked in all of her feelings. But the miracle lasted only a moment. The “heart” was too much for her to withstand. In the end, the machine shortened and was never to move again. However, at the very last moment, her face still held a beautiful smile. And she looked like, she truly did look like,

An angel.

“Thank you.

“Father.”
Last edited by Mickixoxo on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:42 am
Baconator says...

Amazing story! Kind of used the Tin Man thing from the Wizard of Oz but expanded on it and gave it much deeper meaning. In the second full paragraph,
I was a robot made my a lonely scientist.
should be changed to,
I was a robot made by a lonely scientist.
The ending where she sends the message from the future gave the story extreme depth, almost making the reader feel the emotions and trying to imagine them. Great job! :)

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:29 am
View Likes
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

Wow wow wooow. This is a very good piece, and from what I read from this you are a very good writer!

Quotes 'N' Comments

Some said that it was a miracle, making a robot that looked exactly like a human. I was perfectly made, moving and speaking. I was a “miracle” to say the least.

So, this speech, this entire paragraph is gold. It makes me want to read more, and sounds rebellious and interesting. Then you mention the miracle thing again and I was like "Aww." There's no need to repeat it, the time you said it the first time was powerful enough. Trust me. ;)

saw him with a wet face. The source of the wetness was his eyes. Tears, they were called.

You kind of start a thought here, and never finish it. I notice it a lot in literary works, including my own. I get so distracted by saying something cool and awesome that I forget what I originally intended to post. I think that's what happened here, because I would really like to know why he's crying. I mean, we know he's in love with her, (whether romantic or not) but does she ever figure that out? I'd like to know that, too!

Timeline

So the timeline in this story is a bit shakey. You start out in the beginning, OK. But then you go and age him, make him older, correct? Because the italics are flashbacks to what had happened. At least that's what they sound like they are. And then you go and say towards the end that he has blonde hair again. I think this is the most confusing part about this story - probably the only confusing part. You go and say that he will die, but then you say a hundred years have passed and he's still there. What I'm trying to say is that you should clear things up a bit with this. You need to say when he does die, if he has a longer life expectancy than people in our world, things like that. Because right now it's all over the place, and confusion is not going to win you this contest!

Overall

I really like this, if you couldn't tell before. xD I think you created a lot of depth to this story in a very short amount of time. This could easily be stretched out - a lot. I can see a movie and a novel coming from this. But you managed to put a lot of heart (irony!) and passion into this story. This is the reason I call you a good writer. You don't let the small amount of time you have to strangle your abilities. You know that you don't have a lot of time to tell this story, but you use it wisely. So congrats! I'd definitely like to read more from you.

Keep writing,

Classy

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 am
Kafkaescence says...

There are a few ways one could look at this story.

From a literal perspective, this is but a tragedy that took a detour. Towards the beginning, the reader sees Kokoro struggling to master the human quality of emotion, or, if not to master it, to understand it (This aspect reminds me, in a way, of the character Data in the Star Trek series, if you know anything of such shows.). The robot was amazed by it, humbled by it, entranced by it, and yet, in a way, she (I'll use "she," just for the sake of circumventing any pronoun confusion.) knew that to possess such an attribute as sentiment would be to relegate oneself from the comfort of, as you say, immortality.
“Even with no brain, one lives on in peoples memories. But with no heart, one never lives from the beginning.”

As per this, life without emotions is not life at all. But consciousness in itself requires emotional sensibility, or else one might be finding oneself describing the existence of, say, a camera - taking in images, but not processing or interpreting them. Modern computers, such as the one I am writing this review on, possess the computational capabilities of an earthworm - but, keeping in mind that we do not consider computers life forms, could earthworms, then, be said not to represent life at all? Will technology ever be able to reach such standards?

Immortality is the alchemist's dream and the humanist's nightmare. It would reduce consciousness as we know it to fragments, blow sentiment into nonexistence, and -

I'm getting ahead of myself. *inhales, exhales*

What I mean to say is that, despite the paradox that is inherently woven into their coexistence, technological immortality and consciousness together is hardly an uncommon theme. Kokoro knows that her perspective on life is inferior to that of a human (The shortness of a human lifetime brings one to appreciate it more fully.). From this sprouts desire, curiosity as to what this higher state of mind might give her.

Wait. Desire, curiosity - are these not human traits?

It isn't difficult to deduce this much. Layer by layer, however, even more contradictions unfold. Instead of battling the paradox, you should question it, negotiate with it. From such an advanced piece of technology, it is inevitable that some human traits will leak through. Don't try to repair this leakage - this is impossible. It is possible, however, to take advantage of it. This is what you should do.

Salt water leaked from my eyes and I held up my hands in front of me, the drops of water gently falling onto them. Why won't my tears stop?

As the feelings ran through my body, my heartbeat still accelerating, I laughed with the tears still streaming down my face. The memories now I looked back on as 'happy' somehow felt painful. How deep and touching these feelings are.

This bugged me. She's crying - but where is the actual emotion? And where did it come from? Am I provided with a tangible basis for all of this? A hint at sincerity? Something I can empathize with? I'm not quite sure. Work on this.

Well, thanks for entering my contest! I hope this helped.

-Kafka

P.S. - The results will be determined tomorrow. er, sometime. Summer is much too busy for me. :?
#TNT

WRFF

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein