z

Young Writers Society

Art From Adversity (Contest Entry)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:32 pm
PaulClover says...

Spoiler! :
My story is about a freelance writer in a Martian canyon listening to evil jokes.

"Sir, I was thinking – more like wondering, really – um, do you think it would be wise for me to leave out the part where you blew up the planet of Lalaxus?” 

The Great and Mighty Emperor Trax, who was pacing about the grand, expansive throne room with his hands behind his back, suddenly turned his head towards Leonard. His red, slitted eyes narrowed upon the writer, anger swimming about within their irises. 

“What suggest you, Earthling Nebb?” His voice was cold and impatient.  

“Well,” said Leonard, pushing his glasses back up to the tip of his nose. “Being your, um, official biographer and all, it seems to me that we would want to omit some particularly...um, let's say more excessive acts of mass murder and violence from the volume?” 

“Fool! The Lalaxusians were monsters! Left to their own devices, they would have ripped entire worlds asunder with their foul machinations and wicked intents!” 

“Um, sir, correct me if I was mistaken, but wasn't Lalaxus populated entirely by penguins and rabbits? I'm just saying that – ” 

“No more, Earthling Nebb!” Trax's voice echoed in a lion-like roar. Leonard sank into his seat,  

“Yes, sir,” he said, wondering how he had ever gotten into this mess.  

But he knew. Of course, he knew. This strange, horrid little destiny had been thrust upon without any question or thanks. Abducted in the middle of brunch, shot across light-years, he had been ripped from his small little house in small little nowhere. Now here he was, in a strange castle nestled in a blood-red canyon on Mars, billions of miles away from everything he once knew, and for what? Why, to serve as the official Biographer of the Great and Mighty Emperor Trax, of course.

According to the Emperor Himself, Leonard was the most well-respected writer in the most culturally rich planet in the northern Cosmos. It only made sense that he would be given the great honor of chronicling the Emperor's rise to power.

“Now,” said Trax, his temper cooling. “A joke! What has two legs, two arms, and smells like bacon?” 

Leonard had to stop himself from sighing. 

“I don't know, sir,” said Leonard resignedly. 

“A baby whose been boiled alive, of course!” Trax outstretched his arms and howled with laughter. 

“Wonderful, sir,” said Leonard dryly. “Your best one yet.” 

“Add that to the appendix,” said Trax, still smiling. “Why, yes, that will make a nice addition, indeed!” 

“Quite, nice, sir.” 

“Ah, how wise I am, Earthling Nebb. For have I not hired the best writer in all of creation, your sole duty to record my life and the sparkling jokes with which I pepper it!” 

“Indeed sir.”

But the joke was on Trax. Leonard Nebb was not a famous writer, not even a published author. The dirty fact of the matter was that the Official Biographer of the Great and Mighty Emperor Trax had never sold a single scrap of work in his life. Of course, couldn't let Trax know that. 

“You know, Earthling Nebb,” said Trax in a softer voice than Leonard had thought the alien capable of. “I quite enjoy our little chats. I, the greatest figure ever to conquer the Universe, and you, the one who will make sure that everyone knows the story! How very, very clever I am!”

“Yes, indeed sir,” said Leonard automatically. “Clever, clever, that's your middle name, sir.”

“Ah, and to hear you say it brings a shiver of pride up my spines!” Trax straightened himself and breathed deeply. “We shall conquer the galaxy, you and I. Side-by-side, as they say on your planet. The galaxy shall bow before me. And you, I suppose, to a dramatically less extent.” 
Trax slapped Leonard back with his long, scaly hand. The writer gave an uncontrollable shudder. 

"Yes, that'll be nice, sir." 

"You'll be loved throughout the cosmos! And don't forget rich, of course! And famous.”

"Fame, sir?" Leonard felt a small surge in the pit of his stomach. “Like, well-known and stuff like that." 

"If by 'stuff like that', you means hordes upon hordes of adoring females! The day after we conquer, we'll practically be swimming in...well, whatever it is human males fantasize about swimming in." 

"Hmm," said Leonard. "That...would be nice, I suppose." Yes, very nice indeed.” If what Trax said was true, then maybe his dreams had actually come true, albeit in a very strange and disturbed way. "How many people do you think would read the biography?" 

"Oh, trillions, of course," said Trax casually. The Emperor snatched a piece of paper from the desk, and began to examine it as he stroked his chin. "It would be required reading across the stars. Anyone caught reading anything else would be incinerated." 

"I would like that," said Leonard, and meant it. "Except for the incineration, of course." 

"Fine, fine, I'll have them beheaded," Trax smiled as he set the paper back down. "Earthling Nebb, there is work to be done." 

Leonard pushed his glasses back up to the tip of his nose. 

"Yes, sir, back to work," he said, returning his attention to the typewriter. "Where were we-ah, the destruction of the Orphan Library on Delta Magna VII." 

"Ah, and what a bloody slaughter it was," said Trax. "I remember the wind breezing across my scales. I remember when it was all over, and I stood upon the a pile of bodies and recited the greatest joke ever! Why did the puppy cross the Kessler Galaxy?" Trax grinned widely, like a child getting ready to open a Christmas present. "Because it was hit by a space ship and its guts were splattered all over the window!" 

Leonard let out a little chuckle. 

"That, sir," said Leonard, writing the terrible joke as he spoke. "May very well be your masterpiece."
Last edited by PaulClover on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remember your name. Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found. Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped to help you in their turn. Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story. - Neil Gaiman

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 pm
WaitingForLife says...

Heya, long time, no read. :D

Haha, got me laughing, this one did, which I may presume was your intention. ;) The characters are nice and fleshed out, as per us', and the story felt complete (as in it didn't feel like something was missing).

No grammar mistakes, just a few small gritty details that happen when one types too fast. As this is for the contest, I'll run you through 'em quickly.

"Sir, I was thinking – more like wondering, really – um, do you think it would be wise for me to leave out the part where you blew up the planet of Lalaxus?”

Quotation missing. As I said, trivial really, but why risk it?

Leonard sank into his seat.

But of course, the joke was on Trax. Leonard Nebb was not a famous writer, not even a published author. The dirty fact of the matter was that the Official Biographer of the Great and Mighty Emperor Trax had never sold a single scrap of work in his life. But of course, he couldn't let Trax know that.

The double-usage here kinda annoyed me...

"Because it was hit by a space ship and its guts were splattered all over the window!"

Love the joke, by the way. xD
-----------------

And that's that. Really entertaining and well-written piece you've got here; all the luck to you in the contest!

'Til we meet again....
|Life|
Call me crazy; I prefer 'enjoys life while one can'.
-------
The pen's mightier than the sword - especially when it's wielded by a flipmothering dragon.
-------
◥▶◀◤

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 pm
Kafkaescence says...

WUT?

You have something new? And it's a contest entry? How did you manage to slip this past me?

Expect a review on this. Sometime.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm
Kafkaescence says...

Hullo! Didn't I say I would come?

I've always admired your ability to develop characters. This is evident in pretty much everything that I've read of yours, and this is assuredly no exception. Even in much shorter stories like this, not even exceeding one thousand words, you pull it off.

This has an interesting theme. Material value - or fame, which would also be the precursor to material value, which would, in turn, lead to moral degeneration - being weighed over moral value is not an uncommon idea; one sees it displayed in an uncountable number of novels and short stories. However, here it appears in a much more subtle ensemble, one that, upon first glance, could almost be mistaken as flash-fiction.

However, you intelligently leave a telltale marker in place as the reader nears the closure of the piece - the fact that, earlier, Leonard found Emperor Trax's jokes repugnant, whereas he actually chuckled at Trax's final joke about the puppy (absolutely hilarious, no joke).

What could possibly precipitate such a thorough metamorphosis in Leonard's character? This question forces the reader to backtrack a bit and analyze the events that occur between these two milestones. The answer, he determines, is that Leonard was corrupted by Trax's promise of females, money, fame, fortune, all that jazz. Very delicately, though - almost too delicately. The subtlety of the transition is also my biggest critique, despite the fact that this subtlety stirs a certain level of sophistry in the moral of the piece.

Your story reminds me of a radio program I heard recently. It told the story of a man who had developed a set of mathematical laws describing the evolutionary development of selflessness. The laws foretold that pure, untainted selflessness could not exist, that our world, even in a state of utmost societal perfection, would be contaminated by greed.

He hated his laws. He simply could not accept that they were true, despite the fact that it was he himself who had created them. So, in an attempt to disprove his laws, he donated everything he had to the homeless - his money, his house, and, finally, himself. He lived among them for many months, always trying to help where help was needed, always trying to be the most humble person that he could, in all his efforts, be. After a while, he wrote a letter to his children, apologizing for abandoning them the way he had.

He committed suicide shortly afterwards. In a way, his attempt at complete selflessness was perhaps the most selfish thing he could do.

My apologies for adding sobriety to a relatively lighthearted piece, but I sensed something of a connection between the two stories. The scientist, I think, could represent Leonard’s intrinsic, human desire to maintain morality. Following that train of thought, Trax could be the laws that the scientist created, luring him ever closer to moral breakdown. There are some incongruities here and there, of course, but you get the idea.

I think that it would do your story good if Leonard’s change was more defined. I want to clearly see the effects of Trax’s inducements on his character; I want to see Leonard’s inner moral struggle develop and ripple and swell and unmistakably reach a conclusion. Subtlety is a powerful weapon when utilized wisely; don’t overuse it.

That’s about all I have to say. This was truly an entertaining read - I hope you do well in the contest!

-Kafka

P.S. - Oh, and keep in mind that I was reviewing this not as a contest entry restricted by prompts and word counts and the like, but simply as a normal short story. If my critiques clash with anything contest-related, feel free to ignore them.
#TNT

WRFF

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan