z

Young Writers Society

Newton's Apple

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:54 am
Jelly says...

Okay, firstly, this guy is an awesome philosopher. I love the originality of his character and the unique voice you write him with. His thought process is a mixture of funny and intriguing. I'm sorry, I'm totally a sucker for flawed characters, especially when their flaws are realistic and interesting.
I like the ambiguous ending- unless, wait, was it supposed to be clear what happened? Because if he was shot I doubt he would describe it as a "pull" and he did drop the knife after all.
I don't know of the contest, but I am curious as to what the actual prompt was. I don't know if you need to include it though. *shrug*
I didn't see any tense or spelling/grammar troubles, but I don't really have an eye for that. By the way, was the exclusion of quotation marks on purpose or not?
Awesome piece, thank you for sharing. :D
-- CC

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 pm
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

This is a very interesting story. I think that besides the fact that he's talking about science, it isn't very science fictiony, which is what the contest is about, right? I think to strengthen that aspect of this story you might want to focus on the going back in time more, what does it feel like? What does it look like when he flashes between them? Does it look like he's going through a green portal, what? Right now it just seems like this guy is trippin on weed. lol

Anyways, I really have nothing else to say about this. It's a very good solid story, and I think you have a good chance of winning, even though I haven't read any of the submissions. xD I think it might help if you put your prompt up there with your story so people who review it can review it according to the prompt. I like to assess how wild they went with the prompt or if they just did the bare minimum, and I can't tell here.

Keep writing,

Classy

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 am
Kafkaescence says...

Hmm.

You took your prompt in a direction that, I must say, I wasn't expecting. But, despite my contrary prognosis of spaceships and all that stuff, I found this appealing. The utter normality of the situation, in combination with the inherent bizarreness that the prompt entailed, made for a most eerie and disturbing atmosphere. I like that - a lot.

Everything in your story has this kind of detached, almost otherworldly quality, as if the narrator is living not in the world where he and Alex and Giovanni got high and escaped school and are being chased by cops, but is living only in his mind, in his own world, where falling apples represent the flow of time and Newton is some four-dimensional godlike being. Indeed, his being high on weed earlier makes the affair seem even more intriguing, because of the mind-numbing and unsteadying effect it has on the human brain - could this all be some freakish illusion? Could the delusion that one can control time be equivalent to the common hallucination (as a result of drugs) that one can fly? Weed is but a mild hallucinogen, but can its effects go that far?

It almost doesn't matter. It doesn't matter whether this was all a mind trick being played on the narrator by the weed he took earlier or if his revelation is real, because both scenarios carry with them morals that are equally powerful.

I found it odd, though, that the narrator could simply think of the equation, and then suddenly find himself travelling backward through time. Three-dimensional objects such as him cannot just think "I'd like to travel through time, please," and travel through time, as if the universe waited on their every whim.

So I’m waving this knife around and the cops are threatening to shoot and all these memories are running through my mind but I realize time can end and it just might so I drop the knife but it might be too late and all of a sudden I feel this pull on the back of my head like Isaac Newton is trying to pull me back through history and he might succeed but I can’t tell really because I don’t remember anything after that.

I found this somewhat odd. It seems like he would be experiencing more of the - more of the symptoms of time ending, or would be frightened that he would soon be as inanimate and disconnected from time as the dead apple he saw lying on the ground. I, certainly, would be frightened. Also, you say that you drop the knife because you think time will end, but why? What link does the knife have with the narrator's endeavors to travel through time? I have a theory, but only that.

Well! Thanks very much for entering my contest! Hope my review helped.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson