z

Young Writers Society

BLINK

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:41 am
VampireSenshi says...

As Ryder walked solumly along the road through the alley, bits of Avenged Sevenfold and Breaking Benjamin bounced through his head. His thoughts wandered along at the same pace that the had been walking for the past hour. After minutes of thinking of nothing in particular, he found he was coming onto a fence wall.
There was nothing special about this fence, except for the fact that he didn't feel like climbing it. If it were any other time other than that day, he would have climbed effortlessly over the fence and unto the other side.
Once he was upon the fence, he locked his fingers in the links. He turned around and leaned on the fence, he interfaced with the button on the sunglasses and switched them to the thermal setting. He scanned the horizon, no movement. He turned to face the fence once more, he scanned the horizon beyond; still no movement. He pondered wether he would do what he was thinking he would do, or simply turn back around and walk the opposite direction.
Aahh, what the hell... he thought to himself
Ryder drew his breath, he focused, and then he blinked. By the time he re-opened his eyes, he was standing two feet from where he had previously been standing. This time on the other side of the fence.
He continued walking...

. . .

Okay, this is my first post on this site...
I just want constructive criticism...
Thanks!!!
Sincerely,
Lesley
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 am
HereBeMonsters says...

Hi there, welcome to YWS :D
I'll get the nitty-gritty out of the way first:

As Ryder walked solumly along the road through the alley,...

It should be spelt 'solemnly'.

His thoughts wandered along at the same pace that the had been walking for the past hour.

Probably just a typo, but I think you mean 'he' instead of 'the', also I'm not sure if the 'that' is quite needed, but I think it's more down to personal preference.

After minutes of thinking of nothing in particular, he found he was coming onto a fence wall.

I hope you mean 'coming to a fence wall' rather than 'onto'.

...he would have climbed effortlessly over the fence and unto the other side.

'Onto' rather than 'unto' is needed here.

He turned around and leaned on the fence, he interfaced with the button on the sunglasses and switched them to the thermal setting. He scanned the horizon, no movement. He turned to face the fence once more, he scanned the horizon beyond; still no movement. He pondered wether he would do what he was thinking he would do, or simply turn back around and walk the opposite direction.

I think there's a few too many 'he's here, try and find other ways of starting your sentences. Also, there needs to be an 'h' in 'whether'.

Other than that, I really liked the original idea you've got here. Hopefully you can write some more of it soon, there's definately scope for a great story.

30 Reviews

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:34 am
VampireSenshi says...

Thanks lots!!! I'm just trying to develop the plot now...
<YWS>
<NE1>

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 am
IcyFlame says...

Hey Lesley!
First off, welcome to YWS :) Feel free to send me a message, post on my wall or charge after me with a herd of stampeding rhinos if you need anything!

Right! Onto the review! I'm going to quote the whole ting so my comments will be the ones in colour:
I'll highlight grammar or spelling errors in this colour.
VampireSenshi512 wrote:As Ryder walked solumly along the road through the alley, bits of Avenged Sevenfold and Breaking Benjamin bounced through his head. I wouldn't specify exact songs here.His thoughts wandered along at the same pace that the had been walking for the past hour. After minutes of thinking of nothing in particular, he found he was coming onto a fence wall. You could expand this A LOT. Your pace is too quick at the moment.
There was nothing special about this fence, except for the fact that he didn't feel like climbing it. If it were any other time other than that day, he would have climbed effortlessly over the fence and unto the other side. Just in terms of presentation, I would have double spaced here. It makes it more appealing to read.
Once he was upon the fence, he locked his fingers in the links. He turned around and leaned on the fence, he interfaced with the button on the sunglasses and switched them to the thermal setting. He scanned the horizon, no movement. He turned to face the fence once more, he scanned the horizon beyond; still no movement. He pondered wether he would do what he was thinking he would do, or simply turn back around and walk the opposite direction.
Aahh, what the hell... he thought to himself
Ryder drew his breath, he focused, and then he blinked. By the time he re-opened his eyes, he was standing two feet from where he had previously been standing. This time on the other side of the fence.
He continued walking...

You mainly need to watch out for your show vs tell here. Try to describe to the reader what is happening rather than just shooting facts at them e.g 'he did this, then he saw that' etc. See how it can get boring? For a short story this was very short! You could certainly expand on the plot and make it more interesting. Good luck!

Reviews: 3
Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Lion says...

Welcome to Young Writers Society! I hope you'll enjoy your times here.

So, let's get started with a short conclusion of what I liked about the piece: It is short, but made me completely intrigued once you got to the bit about the sunglasses. I'd say it would make a good first paragraph for a 'secret agent' book. Then I read forward again, and saw that he could...teleport? Even more intriguing, it got me thinking how he could do it, is it a piece of technology, or does he have a natural ability? I hope you make a continuation of this so I can read more about this secret agent teleporting super-guy! :D

Now, I only have a few things I'm unhappy with.

As Ryder walked solumly along the road through the alley, bits of Avenged Sevenfold and Breaking Benjamin bounced through his head.

I believe it should be spelt 'solemnly.'

His thoughts wandered along at the same pace that the had been walking for the past hour.

Just a typo, I think. I also don't like the structure of the sentence, but that's my opinion. ('His thoughts were wandering along at the same pace that...')

After minutes of thinking of nothing in particular, he found he was coming onto a fence wall.

Another thing that doesn't sound right, run it through your head. 'Coming onto a fence wall.' or 'Coming to a fence wall.'
Also, you don't get 'fence walls' you just get fences, there is a huge difference.

...he would have climbed effortlessly over the fence and onto the other side.

Perhaps just another typo?

One more thing.

Here, I didn't really feel the anticipation I was getting from the last paragraphs. You just gave the reader straight facts, he did this, he did that. I would have liked more alternatives to he's. As someone also said in there review, try to figure out the boundaries between show verses tell.

Overall, I liked it, but you need to expand the plotline as you said and I hope to read more of your works in the coming weeks. But for now, here is my review.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear;
after that, fear has no power,
and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.

You are free.

30 Reviews

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:28 am
VampireSenshi says...

I have realized the different spelling errors, and i appreciate the helpfuls tips.
@Lion, as for your question about the sunglasses and whether he's able to teleport with a device or on his own.
He works for the military, so he is technically a spy/agent guy...
And His being able to teleport is a natural ability. You see, the Blinks (What people like Ryder are called), have brains that are more developed than a regular human brain; giving them enhaced speed, strength, and the ability to teleport (That will actually be explained in the next part I post).
Thanx again for the comments and Tips Guys!!!
Sincerely,
Lesley
<YWS>
<NE1>

"I think; therefore, I am."
— RenĂ© Descartes