Young Writers Society

Death Day

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 pm
FreshMeat says...

Topic removed for plagiarism. Original topic can be found here:
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/i ... 3-Deathday
“People have a habit of inventing fictions they will believe wholeheartedly in order to ignore the truth they cannot accept.”
― Libba Bray

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:03 am
miamonster says...

I love this! The idea is so interesting. I've never heard anything like it before. The only criticism I have is that it ended kind of abruptly, but other than that, It was really great! I look forward to reading your other works!
xoxo
~Mia~

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:40 am
Benrobertringrose says...

Hello,

In many respects this is a breath of fresh air! You describe both characters and surroundings with undeniable success. But the thing I particularly like about this is the idea, which you present to the reader very well. I think you have the foundations of a really good story forming here. I’m certainly not the best at reviewing so I doubt this will be all that beneficial to you, but I really like this idea and thought I should congratulate you! I look forward to reading more!

Ben

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Hi there!

First off, welcome to YWS! I'm Azalea and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. :D

Now, onto the story.

It was a great read. Simply put, I was hooked into the story, and you did a wonderful job of it. Of course, writers always look for improvement and just a couple of quick comments:

1.This plot/story line wasn't entirely new. But it wasn't a cliched portrayal which is good. The way you handled it was good.

2.When you started I was ecstatic at having characters name Bismuth and Cobalt! The geek in me was having fun. However, as the story progressed, it seemed like you named them so without any further thought than having sci-fi-ish names. As a writer, I find names quite important. They help in shaping the character. What I'm trying to say is I wish you had further developed their personalities based on their names. But the elements names kind of got boring after a point which made me wonder, you can have only 120-odd people with elemental names. You could've showed us variety.

“I loved you- I love you,” she said.
To me, this seemed like a fragment you were thinking of expanding but didn't. It seemed pretty obvious this sort of thing would come, but then, it never went there. I'm not sure it served much purpose.

4. Your subtle play with emotions was brilliantly done. I liked how you used the words to show what was going on rather than a lot of telling.

It leaves me wondering about their mechanical death. Do they die? What happens with the new body? Can they reproduce using that? These are just interesting questions, you don't have to answer.

That said, great work, good writing.

Cheers!
~L
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13