z

Young Writers Society

Andy (Nature's Inexorable Imperative)

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:32 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Andy (Nature's Inexorable Imperative)

Machines are worshipped because they are beautiful, and valued because they confer power; they are hated because they are hideous, and loathed because they impose slavery.

- Bertrand Russell

Her heart could break as well as any another though she was encased in a mass of machinery – wires and rods instead of flesh and sinew. Beneath that cold metal corset-cast she was infused with the ability to feel. She was No. 333, the prototype for human emotion, Andromeda—Andy—they called her, they even burned and etched it with lighted sticks on her wrists and thighs to remind her of it; ANDROMEDA NO. 333 complete with barcode.

Sometimes, looking in a shallow mirror, she would convince herself she really was a child of Man, not the absence of it. She even looked half-human, skin stretched over alloyed parts, and slim, indigo braids drawn up in a messy bun— and her very human, human heart.

They called her the advent of Man, their scion. Look, they said with great glee, look what we have created, Isn’t she beautiful? They would point and stare, and congratulate each other on the success of such a beauty, and when they spoke it was with corrupted tongues—and so human too. Andy was sure she had been cursed though by who or what she did not know. She did not ask to be beautiful? But what did she know, she was just a machine.

It was Wednesday, the day her heart broke; the sun was slicing through the grime on the windows as she slurped down Ramen noodles, the day her world began and ended, the time between creation and destruction a matter of milliseconds.

A man settled in a chair across from her, she had shied away as soon as she noticed him enter. Men reminded her of what she was, a fraud. That although she appeared human on the surface, oil gurgled through her veins. A fraud; an utter perversity.

But she glanced up to check the time, and there he was.

His hands were the beginning of the end. They maneuvered with such grace; she was captivated by his large, wide sun-kissed hands, even the imperfections in the little dips and swells of the fingers and palms. Like earth reaching for the sky, only to lapse and ascent again until she couldn’t tell where his flesh and the light began.

On Wednesday, hands disappeared into the dark. In a flash, like a star imploding in space, they were gone. There was no logical reason for the disappearance and she felt the loss in the space between the cogs in her mechanical brain. Where did the hands go? Where did the light go?

Wednesday, the end of days, men murmured nonsense, and peered at her with lecherous eyes. Skeletal fingers, hooks groped, and fingered her scourging for flesh. That was when the fear grasped her, compressing her till it pained to think.

She hid in a disused maintenance shaft, in her open hands glittering bullets but no gun, an augury of the fickle natures of its creator, her creator.

“Hellfires!’”

She was not alone, the men had followed; silently she crouched closer to the deck. She watched as the form ambled towards her hideout, in the light she saw him. The man had no hands.

Clink. Clink. Clink.

The bullets slipped from her hands that were no more.

Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.

- H. G. Wells

---

Am I going to write more on this? I don't know. I quite like the content how it is. Me thinks I've watched a bit too much BSG. CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:25 pm
View Likes
smaur says...

Oh, this is so gorgeous and lush and adfkjdf. You mixed poetic and literary with a genre that sees too little of that — you experimented with sci-fi and I think I love you a little for that. Plus, sci-fi + pseudo-android = what's not to love?

There are a couple of little punctuation errors,

She was No. 333, the prototype for human emotion, Andromeda—Andy—they called her, they even burned and etched it with lighted sticks on her wrists and thighs to remind her of it; ANDROMEDA NO. 333 complete with barcode.

The comma should be a semi-colon, an em dash, or a period, but not a comma. :)

Andy was sure she had been cursed though by who or what she did not know. She did not ask to be beautiful?

"Cursed" should have a comma, and there should be a period after "beautiful".

A man settled in a chair across from her, she had shied away as soon as she noticed him enter.

Comma should be a semi-colon (or period, or em dash, depending on your preference.)

Like I said before (at least, I did if the chat didn't cut me off), I'm torn between you continuing this piece and leaving it as it is. Because there's an air of melancholy finality to the ending, and I think it suits the tone (and the piece) very well. But at the same time, I don't want the pretty to go away. And I like Andy, a lot.

This is so fantastic. You need to write more sci-fi.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:08 pm
Sam says...

You have an Andromeda in your sci-fi, too?

Great minds think alike...:wink:

So, for once, I agree with smaur. Shall there be more prettiness- or not? I'm leaning toward the latter at the moment, just because the whole thing was abstract enough as it was- continuing on might be stretching the effect just a little bit.

Example- I've got much the same character (a robot-ish type) in a multiple POV story. His way of thinking is so, so weird- and kinda beautiful, in a way- that to write more than five or six paragraphs per chapter for him sort of ruins it. It's too much. And too much Ferdinand= brain overload.

One question though (so this doesn't seem like an absolute failure of a critique)- how is she eating Ramen noodles without getting electrocuted? I might describe that a little more, or at least change the food to something not quite so rusting.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm
treecub says...

i was gonna write a big contractiolations message but that wouldent really help you, so i tried to find somthing wrong and after reading it twice i realized somthing about the way you describe actions, you apply your descriptional metephoric kind of style even when its somthing really simple, like the movement of a hand, and although this somtimes helps buid an image it gets in the way of the flow and I think if you tried to keep action description a bit more simple your work could improve alot.

but dont think i didnt like it, this was as everyone else said, brilliant and...erm, lush.

-treecub

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:16 pm
Snoink says...

Hahaha...

Um, you experimented with sci fi, and that's cool, but ahhh!

But she glanced up to check the time, and there he was.

His hands were the beginning of the end. They maneuvered with such grace; she was captivated by his large, wide sun-kissed hands, even the imperfections in the little dips and swells of the fingers and palms. Like earth reaching for the sky, only to lapse and ascent again until she couldn’t tell where his flesh and the light began.

The man! Who is this man? What does he look like? The utter lack of description of "Him" makes me go crazy and everything like that... which is probably my fault or something, but you could incorporate more symbolism and lush description and you miss out a chance! *cries*

So... describe the man. Then, weirdos like me can peer into this work and try to figure out who God is and I will be happy. :)

And don't expand this, dammit! Short stories can be just as potent as novels, or even more so. And this is an okay short story (though it can be better with the suggestion... maybe...)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

531 Reviews

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:39 pm

The big question is, will adding in more description of the man take away from the hands?

:?
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:28 pm
Snoink says...

No. Because I said describe the man, but I didn't say you have to visually describe the man. In fact, I would advise AGAINST describing the man visually. But you still have five other senses to go from: taste, touch, smell, hear, and that sort of spiritual connection.

So yes. Describe the man. Describe his arms as he slides his hands on her. Describe the faint wisp of breath on her neck that she can vaguely feel. There are plenty of other ways you can describe without taking away the blindness of Andy.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

531 Reviews

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:01 pm

I knew that. Dur... *brain overload due to heat*

Gah, I'm melting here in East County.

treecub, examples? That would help me a whole lot.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:18 pm
Zion says...

Her heart could break as well as any another though she was encased in a mass of machinery – wires and rods instead of flesh and sinew. Beneath that cold metal corset-cast she was infused with the ability to feel. She was No. 333, the prototype for human emotion, Andromeda—Andy—they called her, they even burned and etched it with lighted sticks on her wrists and thighs to remind her of it; ANDROMEDA NO. 333 complete with barcode.

Its my fav part of the story. Its so...human...a human soul encased in a machine? Conscience? Wonderful. But like Snoink said, describe the man. I belive that no exapsion is necessary.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm
Myth says...

CL, I want to read more yet I don't know if more is good.

I like Andy, or maybe I'm a sucker to all main characters.

Sometimes, looking in a shallow mirror, she would convince herself she really was a child of Man, not the absence of it. She even looked half-human, skin stretched over alloyed parts, and slim, indigo braids drawn up in a messy bun— and her very human, human heart.

I love how she wants(?) to be human but realises she can never change what she is. Kudos to you with this piece.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly