z

Young Writers Society

Hopeland (Chapter 1)

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:34 am
kmwms98 says...

Hi, I'm new here and this is a story I wrote just the other day...Plz tell me what you think.

Chapter 1

When she stepped outside her heart sank all the way down to her ice cold feet. The world had ceased to exist as she knew it, nothing was alive, and all around her she was surrounded by death and destruction. She was all alone, her friends, family and her entire life was gone.

It had all happened so quickly, a bright light had appeared out of no where and just like that destruction in one big blast. The U.S. had been in the war for more then 50 years and they had slipped only once causing the death of there entire country, all except one lonely girl. Iraq had launched the all impairing missile that the U.S. had failed to locate and boom it hit the night after it was launched and every thing was a vast waste land. But the Iraqis had also failed to realize that the nuclear bomb would affect the entire world. So she was not only alone in her own country but in her own world she had no one left. Or so she thought.

Alison had grown up the small town of Lurington, Tennessee. Her father had worked as a businessman, traveling all over the world, and her mother had stayed at home to take care of Alison’s younger sister Britney. She loved it in Lurington; her and her friends had plenty to do in Alison’s mansion. They played tennis, swam, and rode horses all over the property. Nothing could ever stop them from having fun, until the Iraqis wanted America out of the picture.

She had no idea how she had survived the blast, but she had wished she would have died. Alison had to watch her friends and family die right in front of her pale face. It couldn’t have been stopped, but there was no one left to blame. When she finally dried her tears and looked around her, all that was left was dust and one blackened charcoaled piece of a wood from the once looming oak trees that had stood so proud over her mansion. It was like nothing she had ever experienced, the trees the grass even the pond was destroyed. Everything had vanished into thin air. All that was left of her beautiful Thoroughbred horses were bones and ashes, the hunting hounds had all vanished and her cat burned to a crisp and then blown away in the now howling winds that whipped across the baron planes.

Her house had managed to survive somehow, but right now Alison didn’t care. Her family had left for the day to go to a backyard part at one of the other wealthy couple’s house just over the small hill. She had stayed home because of her cold, but her heart turned to ice when she thought of what might have happened to her family. Alison knew they were dead but the thought of how was tormenting her. She could just picture it in her mind, the nuclear shock ripping through them like they were just air. She stepped back into the entry way and shut the door. Her mind was still on the horrible realization of the fact that she was all alone, no one to share her sorrow with, and no one to lend their shoulder for her to sob on, no one at all. When she looked back out the window, everything was in black in white there was no color left in the world and the sun was gone, never to be seen again.

She didn't panic; she didn't even bother to shed a tear. She knew that she would never see her family again; she knew she would probably never see another living sole again. Jessica was all alone in the middle of a small desolate valley. Her small house was blackened and charred from the blast, but for some small infinite reason it was still standing. The small town that had once been standing was now gone forever, the only sign of life was Jessica's home. When Jessica finally did move from the couch where she had been sitting for the past hour, ever since she heard the detaining sound of the blast, she looked out the window and knew that the car that had left just the day before for a family reunion would not be coming back. Jessica had refused to go to the pathetic reunion and put up with her immature little cousins.

Jessica knew the sun would never come out from behind the vast green cloud blanketing the entire sky, she would never see the beautiful light on what was now left of the charred trees far off in the distance. She had no idea what to do, she left to go back inside. Her mind was still on the thought of what had happened to her parents. The blast ripping through the bodies like the blast was a knife and her parents were the butter. Iraq had been planning the bombs for months, but the government was too dumb to even notice. This was the consequence, ever bit of life in the U.S. depleted in a split second. The Iraqi’s had targeted 15 bombs at 15 different places in the U.S., but what they had failed to realize was that the green cloud would soon cover the entire globe and no one would ever see the sun. Possibly the toxic waste in that cloud would finally come down somewhere and kill even more people. Jessica didn’t want to think about the outcome of the blast she didn’t want to think at all for that matter.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:51 am
View Likes
DarkerSarah says...

Considering the fact that this is a very immature piece of writing...I actually liked it. Your sentences were run-ons throughout the entire thing, but they worked. I liked the empty, stream-of-conscienceness feeling we get from them. I just have a few suggestions, grammatically and stylistically.

"It had all happened so quickly, a bright light had appeared out of no where and just like that destruction in one big blast."

Okay, you do this several times throughout the entire story, and so I'm going to use this one sentence as an example. I said I liked the run on sentence thing, but there needs to be punctuation within the sentences. This would read so much better if it were written more like this:

"It had all happened so quickly. A bright light appeared out of nowhere, and just like that, destruction, in one big blast."

I'm extremely comma happy. Sometimes I misuse them, but you need to learn to use them or your sentences won't make sense. I actually think that you could take out "in one big blast" and have a more effective sentence. "...and just like that, destruction."

Her family had left for the day to go to a backyard part at one of the other wealthy couple’s house just over the small hill. "

It's a backyard part-Y. Not part.

" All that was left of her beautiful Thoroughbred horses were bones and ashes, the hunting hounds had all vanished and her cat burned to a crisp and then blown away in the now howling winds that whipped across the baron planes. "

Very nice sentence. Nice imagery.

"...she knew she would probably never see another living sole again."

Should be "soul," not "sole." Easy to do without a proper editting run through.

The subject matter doesn't really do it for me, though. I like the IDEA of Iraq nuking America, but Iraq is just not that big of a threat. China or Russia or...someone else may be a little more convcing. And the likelyhood of just one person surving is slim to none. It's going to take a pretty damn good reason only she and her house survived to be believable within the context of the story.

But you painted a very nice picture, and like I said to begin with, I can tell you are an immature writer (I could look at your age and tell you that) but you have a lot of potential. Definitely. Just...keep writing. And work on commas and semi-colons. Good luck!

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:43 am
ukgurl@hart says...

Like Sarah said, it's pretty unlikely one girl would survive (although you hint at others as well). There is no reason that she survived (perhaps for some reason she was surrounding by walls of impenetrable cookie dough?).

Is the girl's name Allison or Jessica? Or are there two girls?

You might want to work on the timing and the structure of this. First of all, describe Allison's happy little life in the suburbs BEFORE you describe the sudden destruction. Otherwise, we don't really care.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:59 am
View Likes
Vincent says...

I really enjoyed this and i like the idea and the discription of everything alot! great story!
"Don't look down on anyone, except if you are helping them up."

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles