z

Young Writers Society

Jada: Eternal Hunter of Lost Souls (Magic)

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:23 pm
Baywolf says...

Spoiler! :
Here's the textbook excerpt that comes before (or after) chapter two. It helps, I think, to give a background on the world Jada fights for.

Note to the Reader: Magic

While it may have occurred to you, or not depending on your relative intelligence, this world contains more than just humans and demons. Exhibit A: Jada Fireblood and the Council. To clarify this issue, I have added this side-note to the original text of this book. To begin, you must come to the understanding that magic is real. If it wasn’t, there really wouldn’t be a point in fighting demons, and we would have given up long ago.

There are certain types of magic, and certain breeds—I guess one could say—of magic users just as there are levels of demons. There are the mundane and harmless types like faeries, nymphs, and elves (although there is some speculation as to whether elves are in fact harmless, as per the Great Elven Conflict of 1066 BC, but since there have been no other such problems, they have continued to be classified as such). And then there are the more elite types such as wizards, witches, hags, and adepts. Wizards and witches, for the most part, are born with a particular set of skills that makes use of magic easier. While hags and their contemporaries the adepts have to study and learn how to harness magical energy.

Using magic, too, has its problems. Use too much, and you lose strength. Use too little and you have withdrawals. Magic users have to walk a fine line. The best method of keeping in control, and alive, is to wear a charm that dampens magic. Most qualified wizards, witches, hags, and adepts all wear the charm, if only to fit into modern society.

Magic comes in many forms, I will list a few: electricity, the elements, raw power, etc. There really isn’t one common form that magic manifests itself universally. Each user has a slightly different magical presence from one another. It is a useful piece of knowledge when trying to identify who made a certain bit of magic. It is like a magical fingerprint. The most skilled magicians know automatically when magic is being used within a certain radius, and can tell who it is just by the “feel” of it, or so I have been told by my friend Merlin.

All you really need to know is this: Don’t anger a magical being. I know it seems like I say that a lot, and that would be true, but it is only for your own safety. Magic is tricky. It warps the minds of those who are able to use it, and they become paranoid. Paranoid magical beings are dangerous—almost as dangerous as demons. Fortunately, if a magic user becomes a hunter, he or she is required to wear a magical restraint charm. It prevents nasty episodes.

With this and that in mind, I leave thoughts of magic to you. It is your decision whether or not to pursue magical learning, but keep in mind that it is a danger-strewn field of work. This book is not a magic book. I will not teach you spells. In fact, it would be best if you went to a professional to learn. There have been incidences involving exploding bodies of people trying to teach themselves magic without knowing the proper measures. It is, however, ultimately up to you.
After all, it is the pen that gives power to the mythical sword.

"For an Assistant Pig-Keeper, I think you're quite remarkable." Eilonwy

"You also shall be Psyche."

"My only regret
all the Butterflies
that I have killed with my car" Martin Lanaux

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Ultimately up to you? *snorts* Yes, I'm in the body-exploding business. Haha.

Don't mind me. I love this dude. I love his voice, I can picture it clearly in my mind. I don't know what you picture when you're writing, but...let's leave it at that. Don't destroy my illusions :D

Bailey, this is brilliant as usual.

I'd have to say that the only part that had me stumped was this one.
Most qualified wizards, witches, hags, and adepts all wear the charm, if only to fit into modern society.

I wasn't sure what you meant, exactly. That wearing the charm is like a trend? That they wear it to pass incognito amongst the non-magic users?

Well, I'm so thrilled to have found something that bothers me. You're not perfect (or I'm just deranged), but it made my review worthwhile :D

Flyl!

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides