z

Young Writers Society

Something Out There

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm
Kim says...

Chapter 10

The afternoon sky soon became dark. The ominous cloud was closing in faster than the angels could get Christian to run. His little legs pumping as fast as he could go.

Christian was running out of air, his legs burned and his chest felt like it was going to explode. “Run faster, don’t stop!” was the only thing going through his mind.

“Why am I running?” Christian momentarily thought. “Just run! Your life depends on it.” His mind screamed back at him.

Three war angels and one guardian tried to cover Christian as he ran.

Christian's guardian angel, Seth, was on his right side yelling for him to run for his life. Seth could smell the sulfur as it consumed the oxygen in the air. The flapping wings numbering in the thousands reminded Seth of a drum roll. He was sure the demons were right on top of them.

Seth quickly turned his face upwards, yellow and red eyes glared back. Seth could see the murderous look in them. The demons were not about to let Christian get away. They would not fail this time. Each one wanted the glory for himself. They pushed each other out of the way to get to the child first.

As Seth looked up, Christian stumbled and fell to the sidewalk; he rolled a few times and landed face down on the cement. “Get him up Seth!” Aronn yelled as he drew his sword. The demons were now descending upon them.

Samuel and Ernes also unsheathed their swords. They looked at each other, nodded and then the three war angels put their faces to the sky, wings folded back and with a flash of blinding light they shot straight up into the oncoming legion of demons.

As the angels approached closer they let out a war cry, the sound itself stopped the ones that were in the lead, causing a dominoes affect within the ranks. The demons became entangled within each other. Wings, talons, and black scaly bodies were falling in all directions.

Aronn was the first to enter, he opened his wings to their full span knocking a few out of the air and sending them spiraling to the ground. He could feel their claws and swords tearing at his cloak. Turning to the left he let his body spin, his sword swathing a clear area around him. Now free of their grasp, he ripped off what was left of his cloak.
Aronn looked around and found Samuel and his Captain on each side of him. Standing side by side, they continued to slash into the onslaught of the demons. Blow after blow of swords connecting, had created a shower of sparks.

Samuel felt a searing heat slash through his left leg, as he looked down a large gnarled bodied demon was just raising his thin sword to strike again. Samuel let out a roar and brought his blade straight down. The demon backed up and raised his sword to block the blow, but collapsed under the power of it. His squinty red eyes looked at Samuel in fear as he felt his sword break from his grasp and go spinning into the cloud of spirits. Dismembering a few of them.

The demon screamed as Samuel brought his sword down again and again, passing through his body like butter, cutting him to pieces. Green mist escaped from the demons’ insides with each strike. The last blow severing the grotesque head from its shoulders.

Captain Ernes found himself covered with smaller spirits, instead of using swords they gnashed at his back with sharp teeth. They clung onto him with razor sharp claws. Their numbers alone would eventually weigh him down. Ernes shook off his cloak, taking a few of them with it. He shook his whole body to get them to release their hold. But they had dug in deep and would not let go of him. His sword was useless on these tiny ones; he risked cutting himself if he tried to use it.

“Captain! Go into your famous spin.” Aronn yelled over the din of flapping wings. “I will follow underneath.”

Ernes released a surge of power as he sent his body streaking through the air, wildly spinning; he darted in and out of the mass of demons. He shot straight up, banking right and then a sharp left. Continuing this procedure until one by one the tiny spirits released their hold on him. Aronn was behind him, slashing away at the ones who lost their grip. Not one survived the wild ride.

Seth had spread his wings to cover Christian, whispering in his ear to get up and run. He was frantic, trying not to watch the battle above him; he concentrated on just getting Christian home.

Christian reached up to feel his face, making sure he was not bleeding. He just wanted to stay where he was and rest, but his instincts were telling him it was not safe. He felt a shiver go up his back. Still on his belly face down, he lifted his head and looked around. It seemed darker now and a sense of ominous danger was in the air. Fear gripped him. Just then he could feel himself being lifted off the ground. That was all he needed, he put his legs back into action and headed the two blocks home.

Seth had seen the demon break through the ranks, and dive down towards them. He looked for Ernes, Aronn and Samuel. They were still trying to hold off the advance, and did not notice the lone demon heading for Seth and Christian. Seth grabbed the back of Christian's coat and yanked him up, he yelled in Christian’s ear. “Move now!” To his relief Christian got up and took off running.

Seth turned to face the demon head on, “STOP” he said while putting both hands in front of him. “You will not touch that boy.”

The demon snickered, “And who are you to stop me, you wear no battle armor and carry no weapons, with what strength do you think you can stop me with.”

“Put your skinny sword down and fight with just the strength you have in your hideous body.” Seth said, while rolling up his garment sleeves.

Out of the corner of his eye, Samuel noticed Christian running alone. He was almost to the front door. The war angels surrounding the house closed in around him ushering him up the stairs and into the house. He was safe for now.

Samuel yelled at Ernes and Aronn. “The child is safe.” He said. “Head to the house now!”

Just as the three were backing up, a flash of light sped past them, going straight up. All they could see were silver and blue wings. “That is Seth, what is he doing?” Aronn said. “Please don’t tell me he is running away.”

“He is not running, look.” Samuel said. Aronn looked up and noticed the demon in Seth’s grip. All three laughed as they watched Seth drop him.

Seth charged the demon and with all his strength he wrapped his arms around the demons neck, and put his wings to work. He flew as high as he could, until the houses were just specks on the ground. He stopped in mid air, the demon dangling from his arms. “Let me go, your crazy! This is no way to fight.” The demon wheezed, trying to get air.

Seth looked down at the three angels below him, they were ready for him. Seth let go, and watched the demon tumble into three blazing swords.

The four angels headed to the house and entered through the roof. In the attic they laid their swords down, and sat with their backs to the wall. A smile played on their faces, they had succeeded this time. It felt good.

The legion of demons watched as the angels flew to the house and enter. They backed off noticing the house had full protection. They scattered into nearby trees, bushes and what ever else would conceal them. They would hide and wait. It was better then going back to the stronghold and facing the Strongman.
Last edited by Kim on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:45 pm
BigBadBear says...

wow..This is really getting intense and really good! Great job!

There was only one thing that I noticed this time:

Sometimes you say, "Christians'" when it should be "Christian's" Unless there was more than one Christian, the ' goes behind the S. You do that with Seth in some other place too.

Other than that, this is really good!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

317 Reviews

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:48 pm
Kim says...

thanks bear , will go back and edit it.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:14 am
hummingbird says...

I can not get enough of this story, WOW! Your descriptions are very good, I could actually see it as I was reading it.

The only thing I could see was, you used demons and then used spirits and then demons again. It would flow better if you stuck to just demons.

Keep writing, I can't wait for the next chapter.

hummingbird
I hate mean people

317 Reviews

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:56 pm
Kim says...

thanks for the advice. i will go through and read it again, i just thought using one word was getting boring. lol. so i tried to change it up. i appreciate your advice.

kim

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:59 am
bkwrm says...

I just can't get over how good you are at writing. You really draw your reader in. I've noticed that you've made quite a few mistakes, apostrophe-wise eg. your intead of you're Just go through and check and I'm sure you'll sort it.

317 Reviews

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:33 pm
Kim says...

thank you so much bkwrm, i really appreciate it.

kimi

Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.
— Neil Gaiman