z

Young Writers Society

Life Through the horses eyes.

Reviews: 3
Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:03 pm
JenGwen says...

This is my first book and still a work in progress. Please comment, I really would love some comments so I can improove. Thanks, enjoy! :D

Life through the horse’s eyes.
Sienna’s story

Hello, my name is Burnt Sienna and I am a nine year old 14.2hh bay andalusian mare, born in Spain, with a foal. And this is my story.

In the beginning

Life for me started at a stud in spring, Spain, 2001, the first thing I heard was my mother calling to me gently, lovingly, and the first thing I saw was my father standing protectively next to us. “You are my foal, and your name is Sienna”, she said.

My mother, Skylight, was a lovely chestnut colour with a tan muzzle, a star and a black mane and tail, and my father, Blazer, was a dark bay colour with a white blaze and a black mane and tail. 
The world as I saw it then looked a beautiful place, the grass a verdant light green and the sky a deep azure blue.

My mother told me that night about the world and its wonders and horrors, she explained about life and death, about love and hate, and about those two legged creatures that called themselves humans.

She described how some humans can be horrid, and some can be lovely, some small and some big, some your best friends, and some your worst nightmare.

In the morning I had a crack at this walking buisness, it was hard work! it was terribly embaressing, all the horses chuckled when I tripped and fell flat on my face, once I fell in some dung!

The next few days were lovely and hot with a slight breeze of refreshing cooling air. My mother showed me the best places to rest and taught me to stay close to her. After a few days (where my mother wouldn’t even let the other horses come near me), she introduced me to the rest of the horses in our field. They were:

Chester, a chestnut gelding who loves everything and everyone in sight,
Maple, a golden coloured mare that envies my mother’s looks - and her new foal, called Syrup,
Fleck, a grey with a spotty bum, gelding,
Dylan, a pitch black gelding (with an attitude problem),
And Blazer, our stunning dark bay stallion with a pure white blaze.

They were all nice to me except Dylan; he stayed across the field from me giving me dirty looks, while the rest of the herd crowded over me. My mum made sure they were all polite and gentle with me! She laid her ears back and swished her tail if they weren’t.

Blazer came over to me then, and the rest departed into the field. He looked at me with a shine in his eye and nickered to me, to say “Hi”. He knew I was his daughter and he liked the look of me:
My light bay coat, my tan muzzle, by black legs, my white star on my forhead and my inquisitive nature. (And my clumsy legs.)

After he had sniffed me and whinnied to me to let me know his sound he suggested that we head off to go and get some food in his royal voice,
"Why don't we go and get some food, its about time." We all followed happily.
I stumbled around alot, still not used to these annoying legs of mine.

When we got to the stables all the horses went into some weird pens, waiting for their food, but since I hadn’t been to the stables before, I floundered about, not knowing what to do, until my mum came out of her pen and called me.

The place we were in was like lots of stables but with only a wall at the back and side bars and front bars with food buckets up against them, but our pen had only one bucket! Mum said I wouldn’t need any food yet, I only drank her milk. (I didn’t have any teeth yet, so I could only drink her milk)

After about ten minutes the food came, carried by a small human called Rose. She put the food in the different buckets starting from the end where Dylan was and worked her way up, saying hello to each horse and stroking its nose kindly.

Rose was only a foal really, was very skinny and had a scruffy blond mane, no tail, and, of course, only two legs! I cannot imagine how she manages to run around - I find it difficult enough and I have four!

I looked and smelled her all over while she was seeing to Maple. She wore clothes that had a lot of dirt on them, smelled of lots of different horses, and she was trying to carry six buckets in her dirty hands.

I smelled the food when she put it in my mum’s dish. Mum told me what all the different bits were. There were apples, carrots, chaff, sugar beet, and nuts. Mum said that the nuts were just grass from the summer made into pellets. I tried a few of hers but didn’t really like them. My mum nickered a laugh and said I soon would!

Rose seemed delighted to see me!
“Clever girl Skylight” she cried.
“Well, I guess I’ve got to go tell ma’am we have a new foal, the first of the season!” she said enthusiastically as she bounded off.

She came back and checked we had all finished our food. She let out first Blazer, then Dylan, then Mum and I and the rest followed, but I wasn't looking so I didn't know who came out next.
We all trotted off back into the field and Blazer went off to do something or other in the hedge.

The next days went on the same as before, wake up, drink milk, play with Syrup, sleep, drink milk, try some grass, play, sleep. It seemed rather boring really!

I made friends with Rose quickly, she was so nice, she petted me and stroked me, she talked to me about her auntie allot too. She was a really nice foal!

One day instead of just herding me into the pens with mum she came up to me with a head thing that mum was lead in by. I trusted her so I let her put it on me. It was a bit damp, but it helped me to know where to go.

She lead me into a different pen to mum, it was the one next to my dad.
Rose gave me a little bit of chaf and tied me near it.

It was ok, but I like milk more.

Mum taught me all the basics, how to run away from a predator and how to watch out for tigers and lions which might be hiding in the hedge (I never found any, but mum said there might be!) She always said to beware of the humans; they could hurt you, and scare you, and are not to be trusted!

I had made friends with the rest of my herd and galloped around and around them with Syrup, until they got tired of us and warned us off. Flick is the most fun to annoy though, he tries to kick out at us and then if dad sees him he tells him off!

I loved being young and free, I could gallop around the field and fall over a lot; I could be happy watching the sun rise and sun set without a worry in the world! I hoped it would never end.

The evenings in Spain were the best! It was nice and warm with sometimes a nice cool breeze. I could never get bored of Spain! Ok the midgies were annoying and itchy, but I could live with just that.

The clouds and the birds singing in the evening too was very nice, it felt so calm and peaceful like nothing would ever be wrong with the world.

One day when I was about 7 months old a new horse came to the stud. He was led into the other field by Rose and he pushed her everywhere, he even stood on her foot!
He was so beautiful. His white mane waved in the wind like meadow grass and his white tail fluttered out behind him like a ship’s flag on the high seas, his coat was a very light grey and had black flecks in it, he was lovely! I wanted to go and see him straight away, but Mum said we couldn’t say hi until Blazer had checked him out.

At first Blazer went up to him on the other side of the fence and squealed to show he was the boss of our herd, and the new horse accepted that quite happily. Then came Dylan the second leader and squealed at him to show what rank he was, then mum and me, then Maple and Flick, and at the bottom of the herd, Chester. After all the squealing had finished, we headed back into the pasture to eat grass and left the new horse on the other side of the fence on his own.

I felt sorry for him and went over to see him, but before I could say hi, Blazer had chased him away, he turned around to face me and bit me hard to tell me off for going over to see the new horse. It really hurt!

A few days later Rose came to let the new horse into our pasture. Blazer went up to him first to show him his power and to protect his girls.

I stood and watched them fight seeing who would become the leader and who would stay the leader. It was fierce, but in the end Blazer stayed boss and kept his girls, and the new horse, who called himself Captain, was pushed down to the bottom of the herd, even below Chester!

Months went past, and I became a boisterous yearling (one year old).
I became the spitting image of my mother too! I had found my ranking in the herd, it went:-

Blazer,
Dylan,
Mum,
Me,
Maple,
Syrup,
Flick,
Chester,
And Captain.

We were a very happy herd!

It came the time of year called Autumn. The grass was starting to die, the birds were lining up on the wires overhead, thinking of leaving, and the leaves on the trees were turning golden and brown. 
I asked mum why this was and she said that the world was dying, and going into winter - a cold, wet time where nothing grew to eat, and sometimes even the water froze. She also said that some yearlings get sent somewhere else just before winter and never come back, the last anyone heard of them was a terrified call for help.

I tried to imagine it, I was horrified and I hoped that wouldn’t happen to me, but fate was to prove me wrong!

The big truck.
The four elements of success: Talent, Skills, Try, and Luck. Talent you are born with; Skills you develop; Try is intestinal, fortitude or guts; Luck is spelled w.o.r.k. and is defined when preporation meets opportunity. :D

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:27 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Hey JenGwen, I'm Hawk and I'm here to review!

First off, I really like the concept of your story; very Black Beauty-ish. However, I find that a lot of the story is bogged down by technicalities and descriptions. Not only does it take away from the flow of the story, but it can also leave people who don't know exactly what "14hh" means a bit confused. There are ways to subtly give information, in a way that people will understand without feeling like they're being talked down to, as well as incorporating it into the story.

For example, just taking your first sentence:
Hello, my name is Burnt Sienna and I am a nine year old 14.2hh bay andalusian mare, born in Spain, with a foal.

I'm not quite sure what the "with a foal" part is referring to (is Sienna the foal, or does she have a foal now as she's telling this tale?); anyways, I'm just going to ignore that part and focus on the description. I understand perfectly what you mean by hands and bays and such, so I am qualified to give advice here. ;) As I said before, there are ways of describing the horses to the reader without using such technical terms that the reader may be unused to. Here's my rewrite of your sentence; just take it as an example.
My name is Burnt Sienna; I am nine years old and a deep, dark reddish color with a black mane and tail. I believe humans refer to my coloring as "bay." I was born in Spain, and come from the majestic Andalusian line. As far as horses go, I could be considered on the short side; 14.2 hands high, as the humans measure, and when you compare that to the towering Clydesdales standing at 17 hands high, I'm definitely smaller.

That's just a short little write up I did, and even that is far too cluttered with unnecessary details. There's nothing here that really starts off the story, and when you start a story, you want it to be interesting and intriguing enough to hook readers and make them want to read more. These minute details don't cut it. So, my suggestion would be to either get rid of these descriptions altogether, or to shave it down a good deal more. Do we really need to know how tall she is? Anyone who knows about horses will be able to tell approximately how tall she is since she's an Andalusian, and anyone who doesn't know much about horses won't really care because they can't apply it to anything. The coloring is a good description to keep; it gives the reader something to picture, and most people think of the basic colors when they picture a horse.

Now, as to the rest of the story, it's all fine enough; however, it feels like you're info-dumping throughout the whole story. You go into explicit detail when it comes to describing the horses and their pecking order in the herd, but you don't spend a lot of time really developing the characters or setting up the plot. It also has a very simplistic sound; no offense, but it seems very young all the way around, and I don't think you want that here.

In the morning I had a crack at this walking buisness, it was hard work! it was terribly embaressing, all the horses chuckled when I tripped and fell flat on my face, once I fell in some dung!

This timing seems off. As you probably know, foals are usually up and running within an hour of birth (all survival instincts). By saying, "In the morning," you make it sound like she's been laying down throughout the night, which is also countered by you mentioning the blue skies.

So, overall, I think you have a great potential here. You just need to work on making it be more of a story and less of a list of the other horses and the days that go by. Also, I'd like you to take a look at this link on dialogue punctuation and this one about run-on sentences. I use those links all the time, and they do a really good job of explaining the rules.

I think this story has a lot of potential; it just need some work to make it an easily readable one for all readers. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or whatnot. :)
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:14 am
Mickeystwin33 says...

I thought your story was great. You gave a lot of information, that can be both good and bad. You don't want to bire the reader, but you also don't want to skim over the exicting parts.

I found an error that confused me in story. When you are nameing all the horse you have this one as Fleck,

[quote="JenGwen"]
Fleck, a grey with a spotty bum, gelding,
quote]

but in the rest of the story you call him Flick. What's his name? Other then that it was very good. I can't wait too read more.
I may not be the brightest crayon in the box. I might not be the prettiest, shiniest or favorite. I might not be anything to anyone, but yet I'm still in the box.

There's nothing wrong with you. There's a lot wrong with the world you live in. - Chris Colfer

I love you all, and thank you for reading my posts

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 pm
fictionfanatic says...

This was pretty intersting. And as Hawk said, it reminds me of Blck Beauty, which just so happens to be one of my favorite movies.
Live, Love, Laugh

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 pm
JenGwen says...

Omg thanks! Sienna later on in the story has a foal, I have taken your advice and have changed it in my proper book, (Well not really a book, just a story on Word) As soon as I get some more points i'll post another, hope its better with the corrections! :D :D :D
The four elements of success: Talent, Skills, Try, and Luck. Talent you are born with; Skills you develop; Try is intestinal, fortitude or guts; Luck is spelled w.o.r.k. and is defined when preporation meets opportunity. :D

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 pm
Remrock says...

Hi JenGwen! I'm Rem... I saw your story was about horses and I couldn't resist. (:

So here goes.

Hello, my name is Burnt Sienna and I am a nine year old 14.2hh bay andalusian mare, born in Spain, with a foal. And this is my story.

I know you're trying to give us a visual of how Sienna would look like, but this is a litle... too much. I agree with Hawk on this, with the whole point of just getting rid of it. If you do it right, you can put it in the story so the reader will figure it out instead of you point-out-blank telling them. (:

The world as I saw it then looked a beautiful place, the grass a verdant light green and the sky a deep azure blue.

Let's take into consideration that this is a horse, not a human. So horses see colors differently then we do... I looked up a very short article that gets to the point on human color vision vs horse color vision.http://www.mini-horse.org/vision_color.html

After he had sniffed me and whinnied to me to let me know his sound he suggested that we head off to go and get some food in his royal voice,
"Why don't we go and get some food, its about time." We all followed happily.

I'm not sure what a royal voice is. This might just be me...but it might be something to look into.

It really hurt!

Instead of saying it hurt, why don't you explain it a bit more? Like, for example, "Pain shot up my back." Did it bleed?

===

Okay, so I liked this! I would take Hawk's advice though. I'm just wondering if this is like a true story? Well, I encourage you to keep up the good work! And good luck on the Parelli thing that you wrote about on you novel page thing (not sure what you call it)!

Rem
"Play on
When you're losing the game
Play on
'Cause you're gonna make mistakes
It's always worth to sacrifice
Even when you think you're wrong
So play on
Play on"

- Carrie Underwood, "Play On"

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:52 pm
JenGwen says...

Hey, thanks for the advice, it has been changed! Umm Yeh, Sienna did do all this and yeh (Unfortunately) she is real. Its baced on her life, but it cant all be true because i didn't know what exactly she was thinking or doing because i wasnt there. (But i am in it later he he)

I cant remember saying about Parelli on here... where did i say it? lol im not saying your lieing, i really cant remember!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 pm
JenGwen says...

Mickeystwin33 wrote:I thought your story was great. You gave a lot of information, that can be both good and bad. You don't want to bire the reader, but you also don't want to skim over the exicting parts.

I found an error that confused me in story. When you are nameing all the horse you have this one as Fleck,

JenGwen wrote:Fleck, a grey with a spotty bum, gelding,
quote]

but in the rest of the story you call him Flick. What's his name? Other then that it was very good. I can't wait too read more.

Sorry about that, I had a real horse called Flick, but i thought a better name for him on here would be Fleck because it describes him more. :D Thanks for pointing it out, otherwhise i wouldnt have spotted it!!! :D Thanks again!

Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?
— Mary Oliver