z

Young Writers Society

The Cherry Code- Chapter Two- Saying Goodbye

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 am
View Likes
BlondieMissyAngel says...

I stared at my grandfather awestruck, praying that he just pulling my leg. Of course as was my luck, he wasn’t.

Panic struck me like a lightning bolt and my spine went rigid with fear and anger. “Do you realize what you just asked me to do?”
I questioned a drop of anguish hidden in my voice, knowing already that he know perfectly well what he had just asked but still holding on to that fragile sliver of hope that he didn’t mean it.

“Amiria,” he said softly

My heart skipped a beat.

He started again,”Amiria, I do know what I have asked of you and I implore you to see the reason in this task in which I have given you.” Slowly, he let out a devastated sigh.

*Shatter* my hope was gone and was now replaced with boiling frustration. Is that all he has to say? I wondered sarcastically. I implore you to see the reason! Oh please! It’s not like I’m three, I understand what will happen if I don’t go and I understand why it has to be me. I just don’t know why it has to be now!

I glared at his back, now facing me as he bent over. Reaching beneath his bed, he pulled out an old wooden box which had a layer of dust covering its top.

As angry as I was with my grandfather I knew that he knew what was best for us all. Curiosity swept over my anguished body and
I gave out a low sigh. I allowed the anger and fear to be swept from me. Trying to peer over his shoulder to see what he was pulling out of the now open chest before him was met with no success. Each time I almost got a good view, he would move his position and all I would be able to see was his shoulder or the wall. Finally I gave up trying to look at what he was doing.

When he turned to face me again there were two objects in his hand. One was an old journal with a worn leather cover. The other was a sheathed dagger, no bigger than the length from the tip of my middle finger to my wrist. He came towards me and handed them to me.

I stared, dumbfounded, at these two little objects now resting in my hands. Looking up at him I cocked my head to the left and squinted my eyes ever so slightly putting on my most puzzled expression.

“What are these?” I managed to squeak. My throat tight and my thoughts fuzzy.

“These, Amiria, used to belong to Chief Achak. He is the one who created the Aloe Mansion.”My Grandfather explained slowly. “Inside the book you are now holding are some of the answers on how to find the Cherry Code and how to conquer the obstacles that are set all over the mansion. If you lose this book….” He looked at me critically.

For a moment I thought he might be having doubts on his decision on sending me on this journey. Then he nodded at me, knowing that the last line was all he needed to say.

“Canowicate, what is the dagger for?” I asked pulling my attention away from the book. Staring uneasily at the six inch blade that I had unsheathed.

“Ahh, what of the dagger?” His eyes now gleamed with excitement. “The Dagger is made of a rare metal called lithitanium and it is the only thing that can be used to effectively slay the Oomerématou. The giant beast that lives in the Aloe mansion.”

“Let me get this straight, I have to slay the Oomerématou?” I could hardly breathe. Finding the Cherry Code was one thing, but now I had to slay something as well!?! My eyes grew wide and my mouth went dry.

#

That night, lying in my soft bed I gazed up at the ceiling contemplating that day’s events. I couldn’t sleep for a long time, my mind was running at a pace that made it hard for my senses to keep up. One moment I was nervous, the next excited, angry then blank. Eventually I was too emotionally worn out to stay awake and I drifted into a long fathomless slumber.

When I awoke it was the middle of the day. I could hear the sound of children running and playing in the fallen leaves. Outside my cabin there were voices debating, I stained to make out what they were saying.

“You really should leave her Canowicate! Let the poor girl sleep in, after the bomb you dropped on her yesterday it’s going to take a while to recover!”

“Emmie, thank you for your speculation, but I think I know what is best for my Granddaughter. She deals better with things when she has a full day to think about them!”

“At least let me bring her in some food you two! She will want to eat when she wakes up!”

“Yes, you are quite right Mary. She will be hungry” agreed my grandfather solemnly.
With the mere mention of food, my tummy let out a low rumble. Trying to ignore it and listen to the conversation still happening outside I closed my eyes and rested my head on my soft down pillow. After a few more minutes of Emmie spewing random nonsense there was a soft knock on my door which then slowly creaked open.

Light spilled into my room as my Grandfather walked in, Emmie close behind him followed by Mary who was carrying a large platter of food which she set down on my desk. I opened up my eyes and saw the warm smile of my grandfather, his eyes sparkling.

“Good Afternoon! How did you sleep?” he asked

With a small groan of exhaustion I smiled up at him. “I slept well, I really should start packing though.” I said rolling out of bed. The smell of fresh bread and creamy onion soup filled my cabin. I drew in a breath and enjoyed the fragrance.
Reaching first under my bed to pull out an old rucksack and I began to fill it with a few light outfits, the dagger, the journal and a compass. Mary handed me another small sack full of food such as bread, jam, nuts, apples and boiled eggs. I stuck the sack into my bag and ate the meal she had brought hurriedly.

After saying our farewells, I climbed into a small canoe fitted with a fishing pole and two oars and wondering to myself if I would ever make it back to my little village; I began my journey traveling downstream.
Going down a rabbit hole, get away from all we know!

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:24 pm
Piper says...

That is really good. It reminds me of one of my favorite books, not the plot, but your writing style.I only wonder, why does Amiria call her grandfather Canowicate, and not grandfather? And why is there a #? other than that, I loved it as much as chptr1 and the prologe. keep wrting!
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:37 pm
BlondieMissyAngel says...

hehe Sakura,
The reason Amiria keeps calling her Grandfather by his name is kind of to show respect. Even though he IS her grandfather, he is also the chief.
The hash is indicating a new time, going from one day to the next.
Thanks so much, I am in the middle of writing chapter three!
Mwazzies
Missing you Sis!
Love Missy
Going down a rabbit hole, get away from all we know!

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:59 pm
ziggiefred says...

Hello there Missy :)

It looks good. I like how everything is building up and where the events are going. This is a very creative story, I can't wait until you post the next chapter. One thing you should watch out for is spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. Other than that, there's not much to say.
Good luck
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 am
Deanie says...

I liked this chapter just as much as the other one. The only thing that amused me quite a bit was when her hope shattered. You actually put in *shatters*. Maybe you shouldn't do that and actually say: My hope shattered. Apart from that I can think of nothing except...

When Amiria said goodbye to everyone. Wouldn't it be a bit more of a big ceremonial thing as she may never be coming home again? Shouldn't they like have a feast in her honor or something? I'm not sure, but I thought it might be nice if you went into a little more detail. Wouldn't she cry or something???

I really like your writing style as well.

Good job with this chapter. Happily reading on to the next!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon