z

Young Writers Society

3 Days in Hades

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 am
teamdelaware says...

This is the beginning of a novella I'm working on called 3 days in Hades. It's about a girl who is kidnapped by her ex boyfriend and his friend for three days.

May 23, 2009

“Can you tell us what happened?” They asked me. A simple question. In a normal situation there would be a clear choice. Lie, or tell the truth. Lying was normally the choice to avoid getting in trouble with authorities. For instance ‘No mom I don’t know why my jacket smells like cigarettes, it must have been Jennifer she did borrow it.’, ‘Yes I did do my homework Mrs. Chan I just didn’t email it to myself so I could print it out.’
But could I lie now? No it didn’t seem to make sense to do so. I was not at fault…or so they said. But I went up with him. I went to the car. Even as my heart pounded and I started to sweat….I went to the car with him.
Such an idiotic thing to do! I cursed myself internally. How stupid was I!?
I thought Logan understood. That he respected me or whatever people call it enough to just leave me alone. However he never did respect me or whatever unless you did so by throwing punches. I had made myself clear but…he had always been crazy. I had loved that and hated that about him. That still described how I felt. I loved him and hated him. Even now part of me still loved him.
Such a stupid girl I am!
I just never though he would go so far. The thought never even occurred. Logan did things but he had limits…or so I thought. Even after all this I couldn’t see him as a monster. Even though most would see him as such I couldn’t. Logan had good in him. All the bad things he did…that wasn’t him. That wasn’t my Logan. That was a whole other person, a different Logan. I was stupid not to realize that both of these Logan’s coexisted inside him.
“Zoey we can’t press charges if you don’t tell us.” I looked up. What was this man’s name? Officer Julian. What an odd last name. He was in his mid forties if his age matched his looks. Receding hairline, glasses, but he had a friendly smile. I assumed he had a perfect wife and two or three perfect kids. He seemed like a good person. Shouldn’t good people have that? But how did I know he was good? Or that I could trust him? I thought I could trust Logan. I thought that deep down he was a good person and look where that got me.
Officer Julian waited for my response. I didn’t know.
Charges against Logan? What good would that do?
“Logan’s dead. There’s no one to press charges against.” I said with no emotion. Part of me wanted to scream and cry out for Logan to come back from the dead to hold me; still loved him. The other hated him and was actually glad he was dead. I had become numb instead of deciding which to listen to. Indecision was my friend.
I had wanted Logan to die in that moment. That’s all I knew. What kind of person wants someone to die? Was I any better than he was?
“The other man. Who was he?”
I swallowed. “Hunter Powell, Logan’s classmate.” I cringed. Hunter was Logan’s classmate, a senior at my school. Well he had been until he got kicked out for possession. I had never liked him. And I was right about Hunter. Flashbacks started coming. I bit my tongue and shut my eyes. I tried to hear a familiar song in my head but the memories were screaming at me. I hated Hunter. With all that I was I hated Hunter. I wanted him dead too. I wanted him to die slowly and painfully…oh so slowly.
“He was with Logan the whole time. Zoey he’s in just in much legal trouble as Logan would be. Actually he’s in a little more.” He interrupted my thoughts saving me from it all. I thanked him profusely inside but said nothing. He probably already saw me as a nutcase. Then my fears came back to haunt me. The flashbacks….
“And what about me?”
“You didn’t do anything. You did nothing wrong. This is all them.” That was a lie. I went with him. I knew legally that was nothing but to me that was everything. I was at fault even if no one if this whole world saw me as such, I was in fault.
“I stole. I pointed a gun at someone. I might have shot him. I threatened someone.” Those things were punishable by law.
“They forced you to do so. And for the shooting it would be self defense. But you didn’t hit him. They made you do it.” That would be nice to think. But I had done so in selfishness, those things were to my gain. It would be nice to think that the monster that had taken control over me at the time wasn’t me. It was simply them forcing me to do it. But was that the truth? Or a lie? Could anyone ever know if that was the truth or a lie? Did I even know? What was anything anymore?
“But I did it, didn’t I?”
“Well did you?”
I paused. “I don’t know it’s so blurry. The whole thing is so messed up.”
He shook his head. “It is days like this that I wish I wasn’t a police officer.”
I winced. I had realized until now that I was in so much pain. Physical pain that is. I had made my body numb too.
“Zoey…” He started again. “Zoey…what happened?”
The first tear since they had taken me into custody fell down my cheek.
“I don’t know.” I finally said. “I don’t know.”
And then it started. It all came back to me then.
I braced myself, closed my eyes and remembered.
Don't chase what isn't yours, it'll only make your legs too weak to get what they need

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 pm
fictionfanatic says...

*cough cough*
Are you freaking kidding me!?!? I.LOVE.THIS! This is the best of all your work I've read. I adore it.

I love the way you had Zoey, a girl in an abusive relationship, think the way she did - the whole Logan isn't really my Logan when he gets like that - he's not really bad, but everyone thinks he is. That's one of the main things I love about this - you gave readers an insight to what a person in an abusive relationship really feels and thinks.

I love the way that you made Zoey such a confused, pained person, because it's real, unlike a lot of what some other people may write.

I was able to feel for your character and be sad that she was hurt so much and so frusurated.

And now, *shackles you to the computer* you are not allowed to leave this computer until you write the next chapter! Chop chop!
Live, Love, Laugh

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:56 pm
writingruff says...

This is really good! I have made my suggestions, and you can either take it or leave it.

“Can you tell us what happened?” They asked me. A simple question. In a normal situation there would be a clear choice. Lie, or tell the truth. Lying was normally the choice to avoid getting (into) trouble with authorities. For instance ‘No mom I don’t know why my jacket smells like cigarettes(.) It must have been Jennifer (that) borrowed it.’ ‘Yes I did do my homework Mrs. Chan, (but I) didn’t email it to myself so I could print it out.’
But could I lie now? No it didn’t seem to make sense to do so. I was not at fault…or so they said. (don't start a sentence with "but") But I went up with him. I went to the car. Even as my heart pounded and I started to sweat….I went to the car with him.
Such an idiotic thing to do! I cursed myself internally. How stupid was I!?
I thought Logan understood that he respected me or whatever people call it enough to just leave me alone. However(,) he never did respect me or whatever unless you did so by throwing punches. I had made myself clear but…he had always been crazy. I had loved that and hated that about him. That still described how I felt. I loved him and hated him. Even now part of me still loved him.
Such a stupid girl I am!
I just never though he would go so far. The thought never even occurred. Logan did things but he had limits…or so I thought. Even after all this I couldn’t see him as a monster. Even though most would see him as such(,) I couldn’t. Logan had good in him. All the bad things he did…(it) wasn’t him. That wasn’t my Logan. That was a whole other person, a different Logan. I was stupid not to realize that both of these Logan’s coexisted inside him.
“Zoey we can’t press charges if you don’t tell us.” I looked up. What was this man’s name? Officer Julian. What an odd last name.(if the character is asking himself, maybe italicize the question, if he/she is asking someone else, add quotation marks, and the quotation before ends in a comma) He was in his mid forties if his age matched his looks. Receding hairline, glasses, but he had a friendly smile. I assumed he had a perfect wife and two or three perfect kids. He seemed like a good person. Shouldn’t good people have that? But how did I know he was good? Or that I could trust him? I thought I could trust Logan. I thought that deep down he was a good person and look where that got me.
Officer Julian waited for my response. I didn’t know.
Charges against Logan? What good would that do?
“Logan’s dead. There’s no one to press charges against.” I said with no emotion. Part of me wanted to scream and cry out for Logan to come back from the dead to hold me; still loved him. The other hated him and was actually glad he was dead. I had become numb instead of deciding which to listen to. Indecision was my friend.
I had wanted Logan to die in that moment. That’s all I knew. What kind of person wants someone to die? Was I any better than he was?
“The other man. Who was he?”
I swallowed. “Hunter Powell, Logan’s classmate.” I cringed. Hunter was Logan’s classmate, a senior at my school. Well he had been until he got kicked out for possession. I had never liked him. And I was right about Hunter. Flashbacks started coming. I bit my tongue and shut my eyes. I tried to hear a familiar song in my head but the memories were screaming at me. I hated Hunter. With all that I was I hated Hunter. I wanted him dead too. I wanted him to die slowly and painfully…oh so slowly.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Sun May 01, 2011 2:48 pm
Soulkana says...

I liked this very much and I hope you will fix it. I just wanted to point out maybe you should space paragraphs and dialogues so its easier to read; had to read it over because I couldn't find my spot when I lost it....just a suggestion. Other than that the emotion and description is very beautifully well done and keep up the good work!! I look forward to more of this and wish you the best of wishes!! Happy Writing and hope you receive many helpful reviews.
Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher