z

Young Writers Society

Chapter1 & Prolouge

Random avatar

Reviews: 35
Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 pm
wolfgirl13 says...

Reviews and helpful critisim would be much appreciated. The plot is a tad complicated, so much so that even I sometimes have problems with it. My mind is like a maze ;) Also any ideas for the title would be good. And I know it's not much of a prolouge, I just need to think of more things to put. :)

PROLOUGE
The ferocious clouds blocked the sunlight out, leaving life on Prismatic Ridge in obscure blackness. It felt like the end of the world; death stalked people down alleyways until he caught them in his cold unforgiving grasp. It looked like the Armageddon had begun.

Her ashen hair fell over her pain drawn face. The whip slapped down on her unprotected back with a thundering crack. “Please Corbett..” Her voice, edged with pain, each gasp she drew caused her to wince. “Speak only when spoken to. If I have to tell you that one more time…” The threat was left unfinished, spoken in a cold, cruel manner, with enough ice to freeze the sea. The menace in Corbett’s eyes shocked Peregrine into silence. He continued with his brutal beating, her sobs echoing in the damp cellar. Their only light - the dieing flame of a candle. It flickered as the whips stirred the air. Once vibrant and young, it quietly died leaving Peregrine alone in the gloom with her captor. He cursed in the ancient language under his breath as they were left in a shadowy silence. “Curse caelos!” The sound was gutteral, harsh. “Stay here. If you leave I will find you.” Peregrine shuddered, his voice, depraved of the emotion it once held. The firey passion in his eyes had been doused with murderous rivers. It sent a chill through her bones. Her brother, her captor. Why would he betray her so? Corbett knelt down in front of her, his foul breath washed over her face. something moved to the side of her. The blow brought a stinging warmth to her jaw. Peregrine hid her face in shame, only for her chin to be grasped so suddenly and brought up to face him. A flash of guilt crossed his brow, but it vanished just as quickly. Peregrine pulled her cheek away from his relentless clasp. His eyes spread with disgust and hatred, and he turned away from her.

As his heavy footfall faded, she relaxed a little. She would not try to leave though. He meant what he said, he always did. He would probably be gone for numerous hours. Curling up on the bitter slate flooring, her mind wandered through their past. Born twins to wealthy benefactors of her town. Their childhood had been tranquil but secluded. From an early age they were banned them from what their parents titled 'commoners'. They were left with the lecturer and only ever saw their parents when it was ordered. Peregrine had been the boisterous one, their parents were judgemental of her dreams and wishes. For her to become the betrothed of a Prince was their dream. As for Corbett, he suffered their discontentment in silence. Their parents were social climbers of a sort. Anything the was 'normal' was muck, it was to be ground down and thrown out amongst the commoners. Peregrine and Corbett were to be gratified that their parent had given them 'status and stature'. A lone tear escaped from the corner of Peregrine's eye. If only they were to even glimpse her brother now. To catch sight of what he had become. Would they be as revolted as she? Or would they even recognise him? His once flaxen hair, now grimy and pale. His pasty cheeks and sallow complexion. A sigh escaped her lips. No they would not recognise him. Even she could not see her brother in that man anymore.

The scratching of the key in the lock brought her wandering mind back to the present. He had been gone for too short a time. Her ragged breaths increased tempo as her frantic heart jumped into her throat. Her bony fingers searched for the hem of her tattered dress, they started to unravel the already tattered hem. Peregrine could hear her pulse thumping loudly inside her head, like the war drums. Panting hard and fast, she could only just make out the sound of footsteps descending stairs. Terror overwhelmed her as she hyperventilated. Her vision went pitch black.

Peregrine was faintly aware that she was being lifted, the warm hands cradling her back brought comfort and hope to her withered soul. She sighed, her hope had been revived. Maybe Corbett had come back, and had realised the torture he had put her through. The sweet scent of fiery hope and frosted water drifted up her sinus. It was a comforting smell, but it triggered alarm in her mind. This wasn’t Corbett. Her eyes flashed open, and she started to thrash about in the arms of this stranger. Warm eyes met hers as a hushed whisper caused her to stop her struggle. ‘Shhhh, I’m taking you somewhere safe.’ She nodded, her feelings a mixed up jumble. A cloth was placed over her mouth and as she inhaled she recognised the sickly-sweet scent, Trichloromethane.
Last edited by wolfgirl13 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Sat May 28, 2011 4:20 pm
freewritersavvy says...

Hitting like button now!

Nit picks: (Those things I only give to stories I like.)

You could use improvement on your paragraph separations.

Some of your sentence structure is a bit rough, but that is not something to worry too much about in a first draft. When you go to re-write try reading it aloud to yourself to see how it flows.

Example:
The firey passion in his eyes had been doused with murderous rivers. It sent a chill through her bones. Her brother, her captor. Why would he betray her so?

The first sentence is a little odd to the reader. (Although, I have to admit, I have a certain fondness for your description.) The third sentence is not a complete thought and therefore it is a fragment. Try adding to it.
You might try something like this, "The fiery passion in his eyes had been doused with murderous rivers. Looking into them sent a chill through her bones. Her brother was now her captor. Why would he betray her so?"
Another thing, about the question, whose point of view is it being asked from?

Summery:

Watch your sentences. You have quite a few fragments in there but a careful proof reading and some editing will fix most of them. (First drafts are often like this so no worries :) )

I love your descriptions and your begging is a killer! I was hooked immediately!

Keep Writing,
~FW~

Following you now....
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

Random avatar

Sat May 28, 2011 5:43 pm
wolfgirl13 says...

Thank you :) I think it was meant to be from Peregrine's point of view but I'm not entirely sure either. I am so bad at grammar so I'm not suprised that you picked up on my paragraph spacing.
Thanks for the review ;)

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun May 29, 2011 10:13 pm
MOIMOW says...

Hey Wolfy!
I liked this. I didn't like the brother, though. What a jerk.
There are some places where your spelling and phrases get a little iffy. For example:
A sigh excaped her lips.

I believe it is spelled escaped, unless it's been changed recently. I'd be cool spelling it like that. Just make sure it's official.
You have very nice adjectives in this piece here. :)
I don't have any title suggestions, because mine would all suck until I know more about what's going to happen in the story. They'd probably suck anyway. :)
Any who, awesome story! I'll like it!
"Forget love. I'd rather fall in chocolate."

Random avatar

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 pm
wolfgirl13 says...

N'aww they probably wouldn't suck. :) Yeshh I know I'm terribly crappy at spelling, and ICT. :D I don't like the brother either, he's kinda modelled on me ex-boyfriend because I hate him. Tehe ;)

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:23 pm
cookEmonster says...

Thats soooo good! I CANT wait to read more :D
I think I might just die then come back to life when you write a new chapter xD
Like I said, I really CANNOT wait heheh. well, write more soon.
I'll be waiting... That wasn't meant to be as creepy as it sounds! (just saying.. hahahah)

-CookEmonster
To accept life is to accept the fate it comes with- we were born to die.
So why not make the best of what we've been given with the short time we have on earth?
I like to live every day to it's fullest. (: And writing helps me do that...

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:38 pm
sandayselkie says...

Nice. Great beginning. It catches the attention instantly and doesn't let go. I love the way you end it as well. A complete stranger saving the day. Hopefully anyway. You have a real talent for writing. Good luck
"Live in the present, remember the past and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now."
Saphira

"That's the spirit. One part courage. Three parts fool"
Brom

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:43 pm
Leahweird says...

I feel like these two lines "It felt like the end of the world; death stalked people down alleyways until he caught them in his cold unforgiving grasp." should have a period between them rather than a period. Other than that I really like this piece. I espeicially love the image of the candle.

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria