z

Young Writers Society

Ryan Night

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:35 am
spiderman says...

I was either 2 minutes away from being a dead man or 2 minutes away from being a free man. But death or freedom didn’t matter to me now. It was too late to turn back and soon there would be nothing to turn back to.
My legs were moving as fast as they could through the hi-tech lab corridors. A few highly trained killers chasing you with m4s could turn anyone into an instant track star.
Three more steps to freedom.
Two more.
One more.

A bullet whizzed past my neck as I slammed into the door, pushing it open and falling on the concrete ground outside.
My watched started to beep slowly. I was running out of time. This place would be blown to a pile of rubble in a minute.
I got up quickly and glanced around, checking out my surroundings. I was in a biodome-511, one of Nexus’s many enclosed ecosystems, and man-made rain was falling on me. I was surrounded by new species of plants and trees Nexus had created.
A group of armored Humvees circled the exit, cutting off my escape route. These idiots had no idea their lab was about to self-destruct. I needed another plan for escape.
Beep. Beep. Beep. The pace of my watch had quickened. I didn’t have time for another plan. I’d just have to try to outsmart the Humvees.
10 seconds.
Without really thinking, I took off at full speed toward the exit. I was still hidden by the underbrush and the Nexus’s hired guns couldn’t see me yet.
Beep. Beep. 1 second. Beep. I was out of time. Silence.

“Good Morning New York City. You are listening to k-409 ‘the beatz’. I‘m Ron Wexter and I’ll be bringing you the hottest tunes in the countdown until New Years,” My radio screeched at full volume.
I grabbed my head and felt my shoulders. I was alive and in one piece. Great dream. I sat up in my bed. I knew it was more than a dream and probably a link to the past. But for now, I need to just forget about it.
“Oh look the psycho kid is up,” Winston said, sitting on his bed looking into a magazine. “Of course, you would pick the worst radio station in New York to wake yourself up. Turn it off before I go deaf.”
I rolled my eyes. Winston was my dorm mate. He was a lanky guy with messy blonde hair that he never combed. His chin was stuck in the air and his face read I’m smarter than you. His face fit his attitude.
The radio station was fine. Winston hated any music that had a good beat or rhythm. Since I didn’t live my life to please Winston, I played my music loud and clear.
“Ryan, don’t you have some psychologist to see, today?” Winston said, looking annoyed.
“What’s it you?” I asked.
“Just wanted to make sure you remembered,” he said before laughing obnoxiously to himself.
Ignoring his comment, I threw on some jean, a hoodie and my favorite snapback hat. I couldn't ever stay in a room too long with Winston. I figured I would meet my psychologist and then grab some breakfast.
I stepped into a regal hallway, one of many in Stadere Academy, a boarding school for rich kids, but I wasn’t rich. I was nowhere close to being rich either. Because I had no parents and good grades, I was accepted into this program. It was better than foster care.
Last edited by spiderman on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is just waiting
To clothe you in crimson roses

WHISPERS IN THE DARK LYRICS - SKILLET

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 am
Nebesah says...

Hola! I'm Em and I will be attacking your paper with my grammatical evils.
Forgive me if I seem harsh.
I was either 2 minutes away from being a dead man or 2 minutes away from freedom being a free man (This I do for the purpose of parallel syntax and whatnot) . But death or freedom didn’t matter to me now. It was too late to turn back and soon there would be nothing to turn back to.
My legs were moving as fast as they could through the hi-tech lab corridors. A few highly trained killers chasing you with m4s could turn anyone into an instant track star. this sentence doesn't quite fit. Maybe if you said he was flying through the halls? Something that expresses great speed. Because even when I run as fast as I can, I am slow...
Two more steps.
One more step.
A bullet whizzed past my neck as I slammed into the door, pushing it open and falling on the concrete ground outside.
My watched started to beep slowly. I was running out of time. This place would be blown to a pile of rubble in a minute.
I got up quickly and glanced around, to checking out my surroundings. I was in a biodome-511, one of Nexus’s many enclosed ecosystems, and man-made rain was falling on top of me. I was surrounded by new plants and trees they were trying to create.Okay, I have two problems with this: How could he have landed on concrete in a biodome? unless there were sidewalks of some sort... Second, if he is surrounded by these plants, then they ARE created, not "trying to be".
A group of armored Humvees circled the exit, cutting off my escape route. This is wonderfully intense. I would just like some mention of huge scary men. With guns. But that might just be my unhealthy love of action movies...These idiots had no idea their lab was about to self-destruct. I needed another plan for escape.
Beep. Beep. Beep. The pace of my watch had quickened. I didn’t have time for another plan. I’d just have to try to outsmart the Humvees.
10 seconds.
With no plan at all in my head you keep repeating "plan" so it would be peachy keen if you could find another way to say the same idea. something like "Without really thinking" would do, I took off at full speed toward the exit. I was still hidden by the underbrush and the Nexus’s now they're "the Nexus"? I don't know if it matters... hired guns couldn’t see me yet.
Beep. Beep. 1 second. Beep. I was out of time. Something like "I braced myself for the explosion" would be really keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat dramatic. Then you could say "but it never came" or something of that nature. Silence.
“Good Morning New York City. You are listening to k-409 ‘the beatz’. I'm Ron Wexter and I’ll be bringing you the hottest tunes in the countdown until New Years,” My radio screeched at full volume.
I grabbed my head and felt my shoulders. I was alive and in one piece. Great dream. I sat up in my bed. I knew it was more than a dream and probably a link to the past. But For now, I need to just forget about it.
“Oh look the psycho kid is up,” Winston said, sitting on his bed looking into a magazine. “Of course, you would pick the radio station that plays terrible music to wake you up Consider using a simpler phrase. Something like "crap music". He may be rich but he still uses slang words like psycho, so i would keep that character trait. Adds some depth. was a lanky guy with messy blonde hair that he never combed. His chin was stuck in the air and his face read I’m-smarter-than-you. His face fit his attitude.
Needs some transition. Something like "I scoffed" or some eye-rolling. Just something...The radio station was fine. Winston hated any music that had a good beat or rhythm. Since I didn’t live my life to please Winston, I played my music loud and clear.
“Ryan, don’t you have some psychologist to see today?” Winston said, looking annoyed.
“What’s it you?” I asked.
“Just wanted to make sure you remembered,” he said before laughing obnoxiously to himself.
Ignoring his comment, I threw on some jeans, a hoodie and my favorite snapback hat. I couldn't never stay in a room too long with Winston. I figured I would meet my psychologist and then grab some grub.
I stepped into a regal hallway, one of many I lived in Stadere Academy, a boarding school for rich kids, but I wasn’t rich. I wasn't even close nowhere close to being rich either. Because I had no parents and good grades, I was accepted into this program. What program? Explain a bit more please. it was better than foster care.

Overall, this wan't bad. Your action sequences and what not are really good and I can see where you're heading with the plot line, which looks promising. You just have to work on those little bits holding your action and dialogue together. Otherwise, you will end up with a pile of mush with some good bits lost in the middle. But I can definitely see this as the beginnings of a very intense action movie in my mind. which I'm kind of excited about. Also, I really REALLY like the name Ryan Night. It just screams "Action Movie".
In any case, keep writing and PM me when you have more!
Toodles!
Em
My sister: I'll never forget that day... It was raining wasn't it?
Me: ...no.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a review? PM me and I will take care of it. :]

**previously known as EAHailstone**

1488 Reviews

Reviews: 1488
Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:13 pm
IcyFlame says...

Icy here as requested!
From what I can see, most of the grammatical errors have been pointed out so I shan't be doing any nitpicks today. I'll just give you my overall impression of the story and you can work from there. From what I've read this looks fairly promising. Your action scenes are strong and don't include anything exceedingly impossible - this is often the downfall of what appears to be a good piece of work.
You need too focus more attention on dialogue however. Some of it sounded forced and you want it to flow better.
Good job and keep on writing!

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:25 pm
spike71294 says...

Request granted.
Am going to review a work after a very long time. My apologies if it sucks.

Nitpicks

My suggestions are in red (delete those words). And my corrections in green (those are corrected).

I was either 2 minutes away from being a dead man or 2 minutes away from being a free man. But death or freedom didn’t matter to me now. It was too late to turn back and soon there would be nothing to turn back to.
My legs were moving as fast as they could through the hi-tech lab corridors. A few highly trained killers chasing you with m4s could turn anyone into an instant track star.
Two more.
One more.
My watch started to beep slowly. I was running out of time. This place would be blown into a pile of rubble in a minute.
I got up quickly and glanced around, checking out my surroundings. I was in a biodome-511, one of Nexus’s many enclosed ecosystems, and artificial rain was falling on me. I was surrounded by new species of plants and trees Nexus had created.
A group of armored Humvees circled the exit, cutting off my escape route. These idiots had no idea their lab was about to self-destruct. I needed another plan for escape.
10 seconds.
Without really thinking, I took off at full speed toward the exit. I was still hidden by the underbrush and the Nexus’s hired guns couldn’t see me yet.
Beep. Beep. 1 second. Beep. I was out of time. Silence.

“Good Morning New York City. You are listening to k-409 ‘the beatz’. I‘m Ron Wexter and I’ll be bringing you the hottest tunes in the countdown until New Years,” My radio screeched at full volume.
I grabbed my head and felt my shoulders. I was alive and in one piece. Great dream. I sat up in my bed. I knew it was more than a dream and probably a link to the past. But for now, I need to just forget about it.
“Oh look the psycho kid is up,” Winston said, sitting on his bed looking into a magazine. “Of course, you would pick the worst radio station in New York to wake yourself up. Turn it off before I go deaf.”
I rolled my eyes. Winston was my dorm mate. He was a lanky guy with messy blonde hair that he never combed. His chin was stuck in the air and his face read I’m smarter than you. His face fit his attitude.
The radio station was fine. Winston hated any music that had a good beat or rhythm. Since I didn’t live my life to please Winston, I played my music loud and clear.
“Ryan, don’t you have some psychologist to see, today?” Winston said, looking annoyed.
“What’s it with you?” I asked.
Ignoring his comment, I threw on some jeans, a hoodie and my favorite snapback hat. I couldn't ever stay in a room too long with Winston. I figured I would meet my psychologist and then grab some breakfast.
I stepped into a regal hallway, one of many in Stadere Academy, a boarding school for rich kids, but I wasn’t rich. I was nowhere close to being rich either. Because I had no parents and good grades, I was accepted into this program. It was better than foster care.

The beginning is a perfect hook and it instantly establishes the appropriate environment of the piece. Your descriptions and the narrator's voice flow very naturally and smoothly all along the chapter.
But the end is a little sudden and I don't know why but it doesn't fit as an ending (of a chapter). It's just too sudden.
Try to find a better ending that leaves an impact like the beginning. It's your first chapter, and it's short in length too -- that makes the ending all the more important and crucial for the sale of your future novel.
Your writing is well polished, but re-read your piece aloud after finishing it- it will point out any disruptions in the flow and any spelling mistakes will not go unnoticed.

Keep it up :)

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm
spiderman says...

I would like to thank all of you so very much for reviewing this. IT means ALOT to me. I have tooken all of your suggestions into consideration and will revise it. :)
Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is just waiting
To clothe you in crimson roses

WHISPERS IN THE DARK LYRICS - SKILLET

Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle