The Tattoo Engineer - 2.1 (Revised)

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 pm
ultraviolet says...

JOIN THE CLUB. =3

Summary:

Spoiler! :
Adah Edric, a banished princess, has been staying at a neighboring country under a fake name. Her brother, who's just taken up the throne, requests she comes home and she reluctantly agrees. She travels back by train, where she is prepared for an annual feast thrown for high-rated soldier.

Once I’m out, it’s a frenzy. It’s only early evening and the sun is still out, but every light outside the palace is lit up, casting a florescent glow on the large stone building. I want to pause as I first see it, to remember the last time I did, but there’s no time for that. I’m made to hurry inside so that I may be put in position without notice of the hundreds of important guests. I’m rushed through the halls and rooms and before I can grasp the situation, there I am at the top of the ballroom staircase, every eye on me as planned.
Without thinking, I smile, not because I want to, but because years of etiquette lessons have told me it’s the right thing to do. I wave, not briskly or lazily, but smoothly and methodically, as a princess should. I descend the staircase into the mass of partially awestruck, partially excitedly chattering people. By the looks of their faces, it’s easy to tell that though this party was on short notice and they had to rearrange their busy schedules, it was well worth it to see if the banished princess really has returned.
It seems everyone wants to see my face; everyone wants to shake my hand, to hear my words of greeting. Most congratulate me on my return; most mean it. But beyond the smiles and laughter, some people can’t help but radiate an aura of contempt. How dare I return, out of the blue, and be welcomed so easily, so freely, after all I did? Be so loved? I wish I could tell them I’m not - loved, that is. I’m money. I’m influence. I’m a celebrity, so I must be adored, though hated, and I must be praised, though insult is hidden just out of reach of their tongues. They don’t love me; they love what I stand for. And no one can take my place, so they tolerate me.
For the first half hour of the celebration, people congregate in the ballroom, teeming around me. Then we are moved, family by family, based on wealth and social standing, into the dining hall, which hosts two long tables, one on each side of the large room, and any number of smaller tables between, where people are free to move about. Normally I’d be first, but seeing as the feast is for the soldiers, the three highest rated enter first and I follow them. We’re set at the same table, a small one with no room for others, obviously to set us apart as special and therefore restricted.
While we wait for the rest of the guests to be seated, one of the soldiers introduces them.
“I’m Acksel Grayson,” he says. He downs a shot of something pinkish and, if it’s possible, his blue eyes get brighter. “This is Paylor Farondol, and this, Trint Bundle.” His voice is laced with laughter, like poison mixed harmoniously in a glass of wine.
Paylor barely takes notice of us except to cast Acksel a critical glare. He probably thinks Acksel is going to get rung out for drinking freely in front of me.
Beside him, Trint smiles politely, but doesn’t say anything. He just sort of looks around, collecting mental snapshots of the guests and attendees, as though this is a giant game and he’s working out some sort of master plan. I suppose after five years training as a soldier, he’s learned to treat everything like a battlefield.
I slide a drink similar to Acksel’s across to him. Relax, I think, though I remain wordless.
Instead, I say, “Pleasure to meet you all.”
“Is it?” asks Paylor. His eyes are glossy, yet somehow his stare is imminent; his eyes are like metallic green marbles.
Already he puts me on edge.
“Farry, lighten up,” Acksel chimes. Paylor grits his teeth at the nickname. “You’re going to scare the princess.”
His words catch in my mind. So this is what I’m back to - no more "Lily Ceil"; no more "maid girl", or "servant", or "Adair"; not even my real name. Just "the princess". I know Acksel means nothing by his words, but I can’t help resenting him, just a bit.
In a few minutes, the rest of the guests are seated and we are allowed to move about. Almost immediately Paylor vanishes amidst the crowd. Acksel gets up and coaxes a pretty girl I’ve never met into dancing with him to the string quartet playing on a raised balcony. Then it’s just me and Trint.
Servers come around and offer us appetizers. I take some seasoned crackers, but I’m not hungry enough to go to the long tables at the side where the main course is set up. Apparently Trint isn’t either because he stays seated across the small table from me.
“So, how do you like being back?” he asks.
“I don’t… know,” I catch myself. “How do you like being one of the best?” I say, anxious to change the subject.
“Does it matter?” He folds and refolds his napkin. “They won’t choose me anyway.”
This throws me for a loop. Most soldiers that come this far are cocky, like they’re invincible. A bit like Acksel.
“You don’t know that. And there’s still the Sides.”
Trint just shakes his head like he already knows the outcome. Before I can come up with a good response, he stands and leaves me alone at the table.
I change my mind about getting food. I need something to do with my hands or I’ll go mad trying to think through everything. I walk to the far end of the table across the room; people glance over and whisper as I pass, but smile whenever I catch their eyes. I keep my head down, pretending to focus on not tripping over my full gown. The tables are decked in rich foods and decadent desserts, but nothing looks good, so I take a bread roll for its simplicity.
Princess? Vanadis says.
I jump slightly, though I should be used to hearing voices in my head; this isn’t the first time I’ve been given an earpiece. Being away for so long has messed me up.
“What?” I whisper into the mouthpiece.
You need to get out of there. Now. There’s an urgency in his voice.
“What? Why?”
It doesn’t matter, just come meet me at--
The cord is pulled from my ear. I turn to see a turning back retreating into the crowd. I want to run after him, but he’s soon swallowed up in the mass of shimmering ball gowns and golden tuxedos.
I put down the roll and look around, wondering where I’m supposed to go. The quickest exit is the eastern staircase. I push my way through the crowd and pull myself to the first few steps by the ornate handrail. I’m wearing a shimmering green ball gown, which makes it difficult to climb the stairs, though I persist. I want to shed my thin heels, but even in an emergency that’s looked down upon, and without knowing what Vanadis was speaking of I can’t justify it.
I reach the top and glance back over the room; all the guests are still milling around casually. Is the only one in any danger me? Or perhaps they don’t warn them because a contained target is still better than a panicked one.
Or maybe I’m simply blowing this out of proportion. Vanadis could have simply wanted to speak with me in person; I might have to make a speech, or meet a VIP, or, heaven forbid, maybe my dress is torn at the hem. But none of this explains why someone would steal my earpiece.
At that moment, someone shrill screams. I search for the voice in the crowd and can barely make out the raised arm pointing at the ceiling in horror. I have just enough time to turn my head upwards and see a hand grenade flying at the ceiling before it explodes above me.

I know it's taken forever for me to post this. I've been working on a lot of different things as of late (things I just finished) so I haven't had much time to focus on this. But starting now I'm going to try to get chapters out more consistently. Oh, and Rachey - When in doubt, blow it up. =3
Last edited by ultraviolet on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:10 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Violet!

Glad to be the first to catch this :D

I would like to ask something: if you don't post consistently, would you please give us a brief summary of where we're at? Because I was slightly confused when I started reading. The first part that you wrote is still very fresh in my mind and I wasn't sure where Adair was.

This had great detailing and description. I'd say my only issue is the scene where she sits at the table with the other soldiers, I wasn't sure what was happening, why she was sitting there and what they were waiting for.

But maybe I'm just a little slow today. :P

The grenade was quite unexpected. Nice change from the first part, can't wait to see where this takes us.

Keep posting !

Tanya

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 am
RacheDrache says...

Vi, I am now beaming in pride. Blow it up indeed! You've now introduced a nice immediate conflict/problem/situation with immediate repercussions to add a nice layer of frosting to the "Why, exactly, was she invited home? Why, exactly, was she exiled in the first place?" cake this thing is made of. Delicious.

So, plot-wise, things are going along like peaches and cream and waterballoons--aka, very well. And because that sounded ominous, I don't have any major points of complaint or anything, just to clarify.

Adah's narrative mystifies me slightly. At first, it was throwing me a bit, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. She walks down the stairs and she has people grouped. She continues to group people--nobles and soldiers. When Trint steps outside the boundaries of his group, she notices and assigns him individual status, but otherwise, she's seeing members of those groups rather than the separate people. Which is neat.

Despite the fact that you/Adah don't describe a lot in terms of details, etc, I got the essence of Paylor even without Adah's assistance on the matter. Which brings me to Adah's assistance on the matter. While I think this comes down to a matter of preference in the end, lines like this caught my attention more than I'd have like them to:

Already he puts me on edge.

This was after Paylor says, "Is it?" and after he said that, I had this grin-beam-chuckle face on and an "Oooooo" going on in my head because the line said so much about our little Paylor in two itty bitty teeny words. Said he knew about the emptiness of greeting rituals and formalities, said he wasn't afraid to question a princess on it, said he wasn't afraid to call a princess on a lie, and more some.

The line put me on edge. I was in, I was paying more attention, I was watching closely... and then Adah spelled out exactly what Paylor had done to her and me with "Already, he puts me on edge" and I frowned. I was sad that I couldn't get the satisfaction to getting to see and hear her on edge and instead, I was just told about it. I was sad that what I was feeling got bottled up and labelled rather than run with and experimented with. The 'Already' especially did something to turn me off, because it was as if Adah had expected not to like him before and is shocked that the reason came so soon... and it was so self-aware.

There are some other not-so-subtle, very self-aware moments in this chapter.

I have just enough time to turn my head upwards and see a hand grenade flying at the ceiling before it explodes above me.

Here's another example, because this brings detached to a whole new level. I'm not doubting you on Adah's voice, but this seems more like Adah is narrating this doubly--as if she's sitting and recounting the story someone and can see the events from an external POV. As if she can somehow she herself turning to look and is counting the seconds from there to there. And, since she's mentioning it, she's obviously seeing it. I guess what I'm getting at is not so much detached-ness but a lack of immediacy. Despite the first person and the present tense, it seems recounted, rather than right there, happening simultaneously as we read.

Argh, my head's killing me, so I have to cut this review short. Should you have any questions or simply want to plug my brain (and you know my policy on both!), you know where to find me.

Rach
Last edited by RacheDrache on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 pm
Sins says...

You thought I'd forgotten, didn't you? DIIIDEEEENT YEEEW!?!?!

Hidere. I'm in a funny mood today, so please ignore some of what I say. Like, seriously, you should see some of my previous reviews. I think I'm high on something. My guess is that I've realised that I've got no chance of passing my Maths exam tomorrow, so I've become partially insane. Sorry.

Okay, so I definitely think this version of this part is better than the original. I was amused by her discussion with the soldiers and even though we only saw them briefly, I feel like I got a good taste of what their personalities were. That's a hard thing to do in such a short amount of time, so a good job on that, my friend. But you know why this truly was better than the original version? 'Cause something blew up. Duh. It's so insanely awesome that you added a big twist to the end of this, and because that twist was an explosion... well, could I ask for more? I'm very intrigued about what will happen next, that's for sure. :)

Most things have already been covered by Rach and Tanya, so I'm a little lost when it comes to critiques. I think I have one thing to say, but that's probably about it. Basically, wouldn't someone have noticed the earpiece thing being shoved out of Adah's ear? I mean, if someone went up to her and went for her ear, I would have thought at least one person would have noticed. The parlour is crowded, I suppose, but it still seems odd that not a single person would have noticed, especially considering she's the banished princess. I mean, I'd think that a lot of people would have their eyes on her.

Quite quickly after it is pulled out of her ear, the grenade appears, right? I think if you merely do something like have someone shout at the man who stole Adah's earpiece as he's running away, but then everyone is distracted, obviously, by the grenade, so they forget about the man who looked like he just attacked the princess. So yeah, not a huge problem, just something you may want to think about.

As a whole, you've done an awesome job with this edit. The events that happen in the parlour are more interesting than before, and the explosion made me smile a lot. Sorry it's taken me a while to get to this, and sorry my review ended up falling a little flat anyway... I suck at critiquing edited things that were awesome to begin with anyway.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah