z

Young Writers Society

Nameless

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:29 pm
Jennya says...

Spoiler! :
Not the full chapter, condensed for your enjoyment. Please do tell me what you think. http://jennya.writerfeedpad.com/4 my writers feed pad link for all those who are interested.

Also I have done some simple editing. Thanks for all the reviews!

People have also said that they have had trouble understanding what is going on. Here is the low down!
The first part is a volley between the two main characters. Basically the guy has just come back from a mission to kill a dragon and the girl finds out about the dragons death at the same time. I won't say anymore though!

Silence…
“Welcome brothers to this Brilliant day! This glorious, glorious day”
Eyes gazing into the dark endless sky past the eternal forests and into the snow capped mountains.
“Today we celebrate! We celebrate victory! We celebrate GLORY”
Her lips parted but no sound came out, it was so beautiful yet so terrible, if only…
“We drink to sweat, blood and guts, to all that is ugly and all that is terrible!”
They would leave, their dirty greedy hands destroying all that lay in their paths.
“Today we stay! We stand here in triumph over those who get in our way”
Someday they would fall off the broken tower they had created with the bones of her people.
“Today we climb to new heights over the bones of the scum that call themselves Elves”
The demons that call themselves men…
“We are the gods that call our selves men!”
She would die to bring them down…
“And I will die to bring our enemies down!”
She closed the curtains…
He raised his glass…
If only she weren’t one of them…
If only he weren’t one of them…

There was not much Arthmael would die for, not for his country, not for his voracious father, not for his vain mother, not even for his little brother. Once there was a time he would have died for glory, for the thrill of the fight, for the blood on his hands, the sound of death in his ears but now it had grown old, become monotonous, boring. Sir Arthmael Von Uradel; a prince in all but name, the elf bane, the mighty warrior of Agador, was grow tired of glory, tired of death. He laughed, taking a swig of the rich liquor, wiskey from the isles, he had already drunk enough to kill a small child but his dirty blood keep him alive, kept his senses strong and his blade sharp. A comrade slapped him on the back, uttering congratulations but they feel of death ears. They had against all odds fought and killed the Rathbourne dragon, no men lost, thanks to his 'leadership'.

It took a three day trek into the snow capped mountains to kill the dragon. Three days better spent in his mountain retreat, three days better spent in the warmth of his labyrinthine grand library. For what? So a small town could clear some land? To build another shopping strip, another shrine to his fathers greed. To obtain some silly elfin trinket? He emptied his goblet, slamming it down on the wood. Time would come, the time would come, someday and they would all pay.

She glazed though the slither of light between half closed velvet drapes looking out into the star studded night, the moon peaking over a blanket of deep blue. Smoke like an octopuses tendrils caressed the distant powder peaks. Something terrible had happened; she could feel it deep within her bones, echoing across her soul. Her temples throbbed, what ever it was it was bad, if not terrible, death. She could feel a dark presence, a ghost of the future. It reached out, sending daggers into her soul. Who was it? But nothing came, nothing ever did, this was the limit of her weak clairvoyant powers, blurry visions and ruined dreams. She frowned in frustration, she was nothing compared to her sisters, but then again nobody was.

She paced her room, her head still throbbing with a steady beat of pain. Maybe the fresh air would help. She pushed aside the drapes and swung opened the cracked glass window, a testament, like the rest of the ruined castle to her bloodline's tainted blood. She pressed her hand against the cold stone, her feet clambering on the mossy rock. She could feel the wind rippling in her hair, the forest flies buzzing, the owls hooting, the sweet rustle of leaves cast away by the cruel wind. But the smell, the acid of the smoke choking, the smell of burning flesh…

Dragon flesh… There where thirteen dragons calling the Rathbourne Ranges home, only one of which living within range of the humans, only one old enough, weak enough to fall in under the hands of those strangers. Worry flooded into her heart, something terrible had happened. She could see it now, floating in the fabrics of time, deep within the past, the fight, the blood and the fall. She jumped back into her room, her eyes brimming with tears. Her head swimming in a cess pool of mixed emotions, sadness tinged with anger. She had to go, go and see for herself. Surely her sisters would not notice if she was away for an hour or two?
Last edited by Jennya on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 pm
Shakyll says...

I really liked this, it's just that it was really hard for me to get what was going on...I still haven't grasped it fully xD So maybe you could work on making it clearer, slow it down a little?
I really like it though, even though I don't know what's going on. But the fact that I liked it anyway is good. xD Your descriptions and wording ROCK.
--Shackled

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:37 pm
Snake7 says...

Your descriptions and wording are very good.

I didn't quite get the beginning, maybe you should work on explaining it more clearly.
Jennya wrote:Smoke like an octopuses tendrils caressed the distant powder peaks.

Things like this are smart, but they don't tell the reader a lot and sometimes are a bit confusing.
Here's another one:
Jennya wrote:Her head swimming in a cess pool of mixed emotions

It would be a lot more clearer if you said something like:
Here head spinning with mixed emotions....

Overall, it's not too bad. You should keep working at it! :)
"You overreach yourselves." Orphan

"No, we overreach you." Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm
Veritas says...

Wow, that got better and better as I went along. So let me get this straight: humans hate elves, humans are killing elves, humans are going to march to some snow-capped mountains to kill elves, one human (a prince in everything but name, nice little wording there, I like it :D) is tired of fighting, glory, blood, etc. Am I way off?

I really, really like this and I would really, really like to read more! Just a question...er...what kind of elf are you going for? Like Lord of the Rings elf, the Inheritance cycle elf, Santa's elves....how are you going to make your elves (a common subject in fantasy writing) different from the ones we already know?

Anyway love it! Want some more of it!

Veritas
The words you write reflect your soul. Make every word count.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm
aj14 says...

Hey! First let me just say that you have a true born natural talent for speaking and writing your words! You paint a picture with one sentance, and a lifetime with one page! You are an astonishing fantastic writer and deserve to be published! If I were to pick a book off the shelf and only read one sentance of it and then have to buy it, this would be it! (And Sara Gruen's water for elephants. LOL!) Anyway! This is awesome!

As for any errors, you kind of seem to repeat some of the really good words a little to much. That can drive a person crazy! Like in the begining, the word glorious was repeated a numerous amount of times. It could have been replaced by the word beautiful or amazing or wonderful... etc. Anyway. I'm not saying you have to change it, and I'm not trying to sound mean, because this is a very very very good story! But I'm just saying that I try to not repeat words in my story for that reason, and that it might help your exceptional amazing story to do a little revising. Anyway. This is awesome! Keep it up and don't stop!
Posted at Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 am

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

“Welcome brothers to this Brilliant day! This glorious, glorious day”
Eyes gazing into the dark endless sky past the eternal forests and into the snow capped mountains. This sounds weird. Maybe something like ‘Eyes gazed into the dark, endless sky, past the eternal forests and into the snowcapped mountains.’“Today we celebrate! We celebrate victory! We celebrate GLORY”
Her lips parted but no sound came out, it was so beautiful yet so terrible, if only…
“We drink to sweat, blood and guts, to all that is ugly and all that is terrible!”
They would leave, their dirty comma greedy hands destroying all that lay in their paths.
“Today we stay! We stand here in triumph over those who get in our way”
Someday they would fall off the broken tower they had created with the bones of her people.
“Today we climb to new heights over the bones of the scum that call themselves Elves”
“And I will die to bring our enemies down!”
She closed the curtains…
He raised his glass…
If only she weren’t one of them…
If only he weren’t one of them…
There was not much Arthmael would die for, not for his country, not for his voracious father, not for his vain mother, not even for his little brother. Once there was a time he would have died for glory, for the thrill of the fight, for the blood on his hands, the sound of death in his ears but now it had grown old, become monotonous, boring. Sir Arthmael Von Uradel; a prince in all but name, the elf bane, the mighty warrior of Agador, was grow tired of glory, tired of death. He laughed, taking a swig of the rich liquor, wiskey whiskey from the isles, he had already drunk enough to kill a small child but his dirty blood keep kept him alive, kept his senses strong and his blade sharp. A comrade slapped him on the back, uttering congratulations but they feel of death ears. They had against all odds fought and killed the Rathbourne dragon, no men lost, thanks to his 'leadership'.
It took a three day trek into the snow capped mountains to kill the dragon. Three days better spent in his mountain retreat, three days better spent in the warmth of his labyrinthine grand library. For what? So a small town could clear some land? To build another shopping strip, another shrine to his fathers greed. To obtain some silly elfin trinket? He emptied his goblet, slamming it down on the wood. Time would come, the time would come, someday and they would all pay.
She glazed though the slither of light between half closed velvet drapes looking out into the star studded night, the moon peaking over a blanket of deep blue I love the descriptions in this sentence. Smoke like an octopuses tendrils caressed the distant powder peaks. Something terrible had happened; she could feel it deep within her bones, echoing across her soul. Her temples throbbed, what ever it was it was bad, if not terrible, death I don‘t see how ‘death‘ fits in this sentence. Maybe if it was ‘whatever is was, it was a bad, if not terrible death‘ . She could feel a dark presence, a ghost of the future. It reached out, sending daggers into her soul. Who was it? But nothing came, nothing ever did, this was the limit of her weak clairvoyant powers, maybe a semicolon here blurry visions and ruined dreams. She frowned in frustration, period or semicolon she was nothing compared to her sisters, but then again nobody was.
She paced her room, her head still throbbing with a steady beat of pain. Maybe the fresh air would help. She pushed aside the drapes and swung opened the cracked glass window, a testament, like the rest of the ruined castle to her bloodline's tainted blood. She pressed her hand against the cold stone, her feet clambering on the mossy rock. She could feel the wind rippling in her hair, the forest flies buzzing, the owls hooting, the sweet rustle of leaves cast away by the cruel wind. But the smell, the acid of the smoke choking, the smell of burning flesh…
Dragon flesh… There where thirteen dragons calling the Rathbourne Ranges home, only one of which living within range of the humans, only one old enough, weak enough to fall in under the hands of those strangers. Worry flooded into her heart, something terrible had happened. She could see it now, floating in the fabrics of time, deep within the past, the fight, the blood and the fall. She jumped back into her room, her eyes brimming with tears. Her head swimming in a cess pool cesspool of mixed emotions, sadness tinged with anger. She had to go, go and see for herself. Surely her sisters would not notice if she was away for an hour or two?

This was really interesting. Your style is unique.

I could see how people would be a little confused by this; I think I would be to if there wasn’t the introduction. I think the thing that tripped me up was when you went from the woman’s POV to the man’s and back again. If you could make that a little clearer, I think it would help. I don’t even know if the first woman’s voice is the same as the one the chapter ended on.

I loved a lot of your descriptions. I think another reviewer said it was like you were painting a picture with your words, and I totally agree with that.

Overall, this was easy to understand. This is kind of a medieval society, and they are currently trying to expand their land. But in order to do so, they must rid the area of dragons. It seems like all your characters so far are against that idea and think of most the townspeople are greedy and violent and reckless. You had great grammar throughout, a few sentences might’ve read a little odd, but I already pointed them out.

Onto part 2! Hope this helped! Any questions, let me know.
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:07 pm
View Likes
phoenixwriter says...

This is great, so far! The mood is done so miraculously well! I love how you alternate between dialogue and the character's thoughts in:

However, slightly confused. First, a girl is speaking, most likely elf, and then a "sir" starts coming into the picture. I don't really understand what is going on, exactly.

The second part with the girl and the sisters is fine. I like how you establish a characterization: she feels like she's not good enough compared to her sisters, and she feels like her sisters are in control of what she does. Very nicely done. She seems timid with a whirlwind of emotions surging through her. Very good.

Continue writing! I will try to get to the second chapter asap.
"Which came first? The Phoenix or the flame?"

-H.P. Deathly Hallows

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud