z

Young Writers Society

The Dark Angel of Peace Chapter 2

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:42 pm
CrazyMuffinAssassin says...

He leads me across the lawn, his hand remaining on my shoulder and holding it with a tight grip.
I keep my eyes downcast, focused on my feet.
Axel doesn’t say anything to me, but I can feel the tension crackling in the air. It’s so awkward that it’s killing me.
“So...” Axel speaks first, breaking the silence that is getting even weirder by the second. “Vincent, what is the extent of your powers?”
“What do you mean?” I ask him, finally looking up to look my new mentor in the eyes. The auburn orbs burn into my own silver ones.
“What are your abilities?”
“Well, uh, I can see into the Humans’ minds, feel emotions, fly, teleport...” I begin to say, trailing off. I blink in confusion. “Why do you ask? I thought you’d already know this stuff.”
“Oh, I do. I just want to know if you know that you have abilities. We shall test them out later, if you don’t mind,” Axel tells me, giving a small smile.
“Where are we going anyway?” I inquire, asking the question that has been burning on my mind for the past five minutes. “Where does this path lead to?”
“The Academy for Mutants,” Axel replies quietly. “This is where you will study. Mutants are closer to what we are than Humans themselves. I thought this would be more comfortably for you than studying at a Human boarding school.”
“Mutants? Aren’t they mistakes? Flaws on the face of Earth?”
Axel nods slowly. “Yes, but so are we. We are neither demon nor angel, just as the Mutants aren’t necessarily entirely human. It's complicated; you'll understand as your training progresses."
"Okaaay..." I mutter, turning away from him.
We approach another large building, our legs stretching to ascend the hill. Axel leads me, not turning around to check if I was keeping up.
"Why don't we just fly up?" I ask him. "I mean, we have wings. Why not use them?"
"You have to get used to walking everywhere you go," my new mentor tells me warmly, turning to look at me. "Here on Earth, the Humans aren't used to seeing wings, even my own. Hell, they don't even know that my--our--role exists.”
“What about the mutants?” I challenge. “What about them?”
“They know,” Axel confirms. “They know about us and most definitely you. The ones at the Academy are looking forward to meeting you.”
The guard at the front gate must have been one. That explains why he knew who I am.
My face burns. What Axel said was something I’ve only heard once. Michael, the other archangel that used to watch over me, had said it to me before.
“I know you don’t hear that often. But you will be... a celebrity of sorts at the Academy. You’ll have to get used to it,” Axel tells me, giving another small smile. “You will have the experience I never had.”
“I understand,” I mumble, staring straight ahead.
We are getting close to the school; I can smell a mixture of power emulating from the behind the front gate. It’s almost overpowering.
“What is that?” I ask my teacher, turning to look at him. “That smell?”
“That is their Gift Scent. You, and select others, can actually smell what kind of powers the Mutants have. Each individual has a specific scent linked to their abilities. Some smell similar to others because their powers are the same or really close,” Axel explains. “It’s interesting.”
“Indeed it is,” I murmur, my eyes widening and my senses becoming overwhelmed. I hold my breath to keep from letting in any more scents.
“It will overwhelm you for a while,” the Keeper states, noticing my discomfort. “But this is just another thing you will have to get used to.”
I nod, closing my eyes.
“We’re here,” he tells me quietly. “Brace yourself.”
I stand up straight and tall, locking my shoulders and keeping my chin high. I can’t help but feel a bit excited. This is my future; I’m going to be with these Mutants for the next for years and possibly for the rest of my life. I wonder how that will work out. Will I take a mate eventually? should I take a mate in the future? Or am I doomed to be in solitude for the rest of my life?
So. Many. Questions.
We enter through the front hall, our steps in perfect synchronization.
Weird.
There are a few mutants hanging about on the lush grass that grows on the large front lawn, catching some sun, talking, etcetera etcetera.
The first group that we pass stops to look at us, their jaws dropping as their eyes rest on me. I ignore their stares, focusing straight ahead. Each group of people or individual does the same thing, and as a result I keep facing forward.
Axel leads me to a small building, marked as the “Administrative Office.” He opens the door for me and we step in, a soft gush of cold air greeting our faces. A single secretary sits behind a large front desk, a Caucasian woman with blond hair, green eyes, and a stunningly perfect complexion. I can smell adrenaline coming off of her, like she never slows down. The Gift Scent is mixed in with her perfume, but it’s still as strong and clear as any other scent.
“Good morning,” she greets us with a musical, sing-song voice. “What can I do for you?”
“Hello, Millie,” Axel says warmly, seemingly forcing a small smile. she secretary’s eyes widen when Axel says her name. “We’re just here to get Vincent’s room key.”
“This is Vincent?” the secretary gasps in shock. She stands up quickly, smoothing her blouse and skirt in embarrassment. “You must be Axel. I’ll get that key for you right now.”
She rushes off to a back room in a flash, causing me to blink in surprise. She’s back in less than three seconds, the gentle tinkling of metal against metal signalling that she had brought the keys with her.
“Um... His cabin isn’t quite finished yet, so we set him up in one of the rooms temporarily,” Millie sputters, refusing to meet neither Axel’s nor my eyes.
“His cabin isn’t finished yet?” Axel repeats, his eyes flashing momentarily. “I specifically told them to have it done weeks ago.”
“I’m very sorry, sir, but there have been some setbacks,” Millie apologizes, dipping her head hastily.
“Setbacks? That’s your excuse?” Axel growls. But then, he straightens, gathering himself and taking a deep breath. “No matter. I will finish it myself. Vincent, you will be staying with roommates for the next few weeks, is that all right with you?”
I nod with a shrug. It’s just like back on Heaven, only instead of living with two female angels, I’ll be living with Mutant males.
“It’s fine by me,” I confirm.
“Fine,” Axel mutters. He snatches the key from Millie, still obviously angry about my house being unfinished. “You’d better be happy I’m in a forgiving mood, otherwise I would have had to punish those lazy excuses for workers.”
“It won’t happen again, sir, I’ll make sure of it,” the secretary assures him, dipping her head.
“It had better not,” Axel snarls. He sweeps me with his coat. “Come, Vincent. Let me take you to your room.”
Once he leads me out, I turn to look up at him. “Why did you yell at her like that? I thought you were the Keeper of Peace.”
“You won’t gain respect from them unless you earn it. You have to put them in their place,” my mentor explains as he guides me.
“Oh,” I murmur, turning my eyes back to the ground.
“You have so much to learn, young one,” he sighs, placing a hand on my shoulder.
I walk beside my mentor, careful to keep my eyes focused ahead of me. The Mutants are so strange. They hardly look like the Humans with their bright-colored hair and strange eyes.
But, surprisingly, I feel comfortable around all of them. Their minds are full of pain, and the feeling of not belonging.
Just like me.
“Sol!” Axel calls out, breaking into my thoughts.
A thin-framed kid with bright yellow, black streaked hair and electric blue eyes jogs up. I can sense a never-ending cheerfulness with him. It seems like he’s always cheerful, no matter what. His Gift Scent is warm, like sunshine. “You’re Axel right?” he asks. “You rang?”
“Yes, um... Vincent,” He turns to me. “this is Sol; he’s one of your roommates. Sol, will you show Vincent to the room? I have business to take care of.”
“Sure,” Sol answers brightly, grinning. “C’mon Vincent!” He pushes me from behind in the direction of a large building.

Spoiler! :
I'm going to start introducing a lot of interesting characters over the next few chapters. I hope you all love them as much as I do! Sol is a bit of comic relief, and that trait will become more prominent in the future.
One day, I held up this muffin. I held it up to the light, letting the gentle rays glint over the slight glaze on the mound that protrudes from its ruffled clothing. And then, I said to myself "I'm going to take this muffin and MURDER IT."
And that, was how CrazyMuffinAssassin was born.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm
livurdestiny says...

I just love this piece you can just feel the story drawing you in closer and closer till bam!!!!!!!!!!! It takes you in all the way you really have to keep writing more and more. There were not that many mistakes so I don't want to go into detail. I just want to talk about you for a second. What do you want to be when you grow up/ What are you plans for life? not to pry but you could be the best writer since Doctor Suess keep up the good work and I will add you. :)

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:35 am
IcyFlame says...

Hello there! I'm useless at review introductions...

Nitpicks
CrazyMuffinAssassin wrote:It’s so awkward that it’s killing me.

Show not tell!

That's all I'm going to point out because I know it can get tedious when someone does. As for the chapter itself it was good but not very long. There is no guideline for how long a chapter should be but try to aim for between 2,000 and 5,000 words.
Keep typing!

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana