Thirty Three Days - Chapter 4

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:04 pm
joshuapaul says...

25 Days

Spoiler! :
In my opinion, this is the weakest chapter of the 6 I have written. I am looking for a critique on how it flows? If all the information is relevant? The usual stuff

Kate’s full brown eyes came up as she lowered her coffee cup. Big white teeth split her milk-stained lips and a touch of cream slipped from the tip of her nose.

“I’m sorry I ordered for you already,” she said as she lifted herself from her chair to hug me.
On the other side of the table, a creamy caffeinated concoction sat; In front of me in a tall glass was a hot chocolate, neatly lavished with cream, marshmallows and stencilled cocoa.

“So, What’s new?” Kate said, rising through the attuned whine of steaming milk and clinking cups against saucers.
“Nothing. I wish I had something interesting to tell you, but I’ve adjusted back to my boring old life, living back with Phil, and I go back to work next Monday. ”
“You’re looking very smart with a haircut and manicured beard by the way,” Kate said, with lips drawn into a smile. My cheeks felt warm.

“Things got a little messy back there, so, how are your parents and are you happy to be home?”
“Well, I guess so, they have both retired. Dad putts about the house watching TV, and in the afternoon, he chops firewood. He still plays golf; he said he plays with your Dad once every couple of months,” Kate paused for a sip, “how is your Dad?”
I swallowed the scolding chocolate, “He’s fine.”
Kate reached down into her chic leather camera case, which looked as though it was plucked from the 60’s; remembering she had once proudly asserted it was ‘the genuine article.’ From it she drew a USB stick and held it over the table.
“This is for you.”
“Oh, what is this?”
“I put all the photos from our trip on there, in case you wanted a copy.” I felt something when she handed it to me, at first I felt sad, and then my chest seemed to expand with content. I almost wanted to reach out and take her hand, but I retracted with only the USB.
“Thanks Kate, that’s really kind of you.” She smiled and buried her nose back into her latte for another long sip.
“So what are the plans from here, start the career?” Kate’s eyes darted from mine to the side and then to her hands; She studied the languid movements of her fingers caressing her cup, fingers parting and entwining then hands drawing apart. That typical coy smile seemed to invert.

“I’m torn Rocky.”
I frowned, trying to read her waning expression, “How so?”
“I’m lost, back to square one. I don’t want to leave home, but I don’t want to live with my parents,” at first her eyes grew wide, adverted my own, her hands again occupying her idle gaze, and her voice gained tempo, then she reclaimed her calm, but pushed on.
“I’m thinking about going back to university, keep studying. Four years isn’t enough for someone to find their true calling. At least that will put off growing up for a while.” She opened her mouth as if to laugh but only let out a sharp chesty breath.

“Why don’t you have a year off, spend some time with your family at home?”
“I love them, but life at the Little household is so mundane, I couldn’t last a year of Dad’s cooking and Mom’s soaps. I have thought about travelling again but I can’t afford it,” Kate let out an embellished lengthy sigh then smiled and finally asked,
“What should I do Rocky?” I knew the question was coming but her problems were trivial, at least your living with your parents was an option.
“Well University begins in only a few weeks so it may be too late to enrol, and what would you study? You’re too smart as it is. I can’t think of anyone else with the courage to do what you have done, change you’re course every semester. Photography, journalism, creative writing, commercial law, Politics, and -” I paused, scratched the back of my head and let my gaze wonder up, in fallacious muse.
“-Anthropology” She interrupted and by now her smile was growing as though every word hooked the edges of her mouth and drew them wider.
“-Anthropology, of course how could I forget? You have studied how everyone should, studying things you want to learn, knowledge you want to attain, not studying things merely to gain a career. Yet somehow after everything, you have managed earn a degree.” Kate shined, and then she began to giggle. Her head rolled back, her mouth fell open, and laughter came first in snorts then in a torrent. Familiar warmth flushed my face; reaching out across the table I placed my hand on hers.
“I think you should take time for you Kate, get back into your writing and take some photos at home. You don’t have to decide your future overnight”
The room seemed much quieter now. The sentiments soon made way for stories from our trip. Kate’s eyes shaped into quarter moons and held a beam; her laughter not yielding to her words.

“So I am considering dinner at Dads this Friday with Phil, I could catch a bus out early if you’re free to hang?” I had decided to perhaps take Dad up on his offer; it would post an opportunity to visit Kate at home and maybe collect a few of my childhood relics, collect my mint Hockey cards, before he realises their value. Now I didn’t want to leave her behind without some form of commitment, our next ren de vous.
“Yeah that sounds great, I will clear my super busy schedule,” she made her eyes wide, brows high as she said ‘busy.’
We left the café and strolled to her father’s Prius. Coins clanked into the til as she paid the due parking then we traced our way across the city.

When she parked outside my building, twilight watercolours stained the cloudless sky.

“Thanks for this Rocky, I needed to escape our shitty little hometown even if only for a day.”
“Any time Kate, if you’re free and in the city whenever call me. Also I’ll come by and see you before dinner with dad, I promise.”

Leaning over she grabbed me and awkwardly pulled me to the center console. I felt her breath then her lips. As she pulled away from my cheek, she spoke, “Thanks again Rocky, take care.”
“You to.”

I laboured through the heat, entering the apartment and suddenly realised the air con was left blaring at 85 degrees. I unbuttoned my shirt and let it slip from my shoulders. Falling back in the cool leather sofa, I flicked through the channels until I found a story about veterans from World War 2.

On the screen, they awkwardly sat on stools, side by side. One had a chest full of brightly coloured honours and metals. In an aged green cotton- balled combatant suit, which may once have been full and bolstered, but now it wore as though there was no flesh or muscle that separated the cloth and bone beneath; a man with droopy hanging skin, and no younger than ninety, with a holey grin and white eyebrows.

The other wore a common place suit, well would be common place thirty years ago. Skin sagged over his narrow dark eyes and white whiskers protruded from his upper lip.

The camera cut to the interviewer, a young prim looking man in front of a dark screen, sat opposite the two. I unmuted the television.
“So you two fought in World War two, which in itself is an exceptional thing, but to have met in those circumstances and both still be alive it must be a strange feeling” The reporter wore a neat blue suit and spoke with a quaint London accent, almost pompous.

“I am jus’ so happy to be here an’ I am glad we both walked away from it with our bodies in tac’” The American veteran spoke first, in a thick savannah drawl with long rolling vowels, next the other man spoke.
“I had won many dogfights. I was an elite pilot. My new friend had taken down my allies. It was lucky because we are both good pilots. It is strange, I have my great grandchildren now in American schools.” The man spoke with Japanese vowels, imperial tones and long pauses between words.

“So how does it feel?” The two veterans flashed holey grins in unison, “ I mean how does it really feel? in a different age you two had orders to kill each other.”
“It’s- ” the American choked down a sob.
The interviewee glanced beyond the camera at a producer or an aid he seemed out of his depth as tears rolled from first the American than the Japanese man’s eyes. He gathered his cool and smiled a full charming smile, lips tight, eyes half open.

It was tragic. Something had hit me in the gut, It came hard, first in wet gushing tears, then in sobs and finally silent reverence. But, I had to stop, something was stirring, an emptiness had dawned and the tragedy of it all was agonising. I grasped the control and in a moment, I stared at a blank screen as the trail of cold tears, left my cheeks wet.

It was a moment, perhaps an hour. I recollected myself and brushed a sleeve across each cheek. Phil would be home any minute now. I pressed on, forcing fresh thoughts into my mind, I thought about the weekend gone.

I had taken Phil to the ice. He had opted for Golf but I insisted. I needed to get back out there. He still had it, god knows he can skate. Moving about upright, tall, and slender, making elegant incisions as he pushed forward. I almost envied how he skated; I wondered if ten years of high contact hockey had afforded me the ability to skate with such graceful languid outward strides. I found myself low with heavy shoulders; acting instinctively; I would tense as I approached the boards and prepare to cut in as I reached either end of the neutral zone. He could have been anything he wanted Phil, anything at all. But, he was happy and his life was good – for now anyway.
Read my latest

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:55 am
Amberchelli says...

ok, so far i've only read this chapter, but i really like this,it seems that you have captured a new story, it hasnt been told before, its a refresh on a old subject, but its really good! if you send me the link to the rest of it, ill be happy to read and review, i'm a sucker for a good short story. ;D
**Lifes not about playing it safe, its about taking risks, because you never know what you'll find, and living every day to the fullest, because it will never be repeated**

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:07 pm
Twit says...

Hai!

Big white teeth split her milk-stained lips and a touch of cream slipped from the tip of her nose.

K, she’s really messy, and the image I have of her right now is really gross. Maybe you should change that.

“I’m sorry I ordered for you already,” she said as she lifted herself from her chair to hug me.

You need a comma after “sorry”, otherwise it sounds like she’s sorry she ordered for him, as in, she regrets it. The bolded bit needs rewording because it’s too long and convoluted. Just say “she got up from her chair”; there’s no need to be fancy about it.

On the other side of the table, a creamy caffeinated concoction sat; In front of me in a tall glass was a hot chocolate, neatly lavished with cream, marshmallows and stencilled cocoa.

Passive voice! I’m pretty darn sure that this is passive voice, and thus nixable. That is, you should nix the passive voice. Rewording needed.

“You’re looking very smart with a haircut and manicured beard by the way,” Kate said, with lips drawn into a smile. My cheeks felt warm.

Again, convoluted. Just say “smiling”. I like the last sentence; a hint that there’s going to be some romance on the horizon? :mrgreen:

“Well, I guess so, they have both retired. Dad putts about the house watching TV, and in the afternoon, he chops firewood. He still plays golf; he said he plays with your Dad once every couple of months,” Kate paused for a sip, “how is your Dad?”

Those last two commas should be full stops.

I swallowed the scolding chocolate, “He’s fine.”

Should be scalding. Scolding is telling someone off. That comma should be a full stop.

Kate reached down into her chic leather camera case, which looked as though it was plucked from the 60’s; remembering she had once proudly asserted it was ‘the genuine article.’

This is another of the weird sentences that you had in earlier chapters. You don’t need the comma, and that bit of the sentence should be reworded, and the part after the semi-colon needs to be more elaborated upon and in its own sentence. Make it something like, Kate reached down into her chic leather camera case. It looked as though it had been plucked straight from the 60s, and I remembered she had once proudly asserted that it was ‘the genuine article’. It makes it flow a bit better, and this way everything makes sense.

I almost wanted to reach out and take her hand, but I retracted with only the USB.

“Retreated” would be a better word to use.

“So what are the plans from here, start the career?” Kate’s eyes darted from mine to the side and then to her hands; She studied the languid movements of her fingers caressing her cup, fingers parting and entwining then hands drawing apart.

I think a dash would be better, instead of the bolded comma. You don’t need a capital letter after a semi-colon, only after a full stop when you start a new sentence. I think you should change it to a full stop because the next bit about her hands is quite long.

That typical coy smile seemed to invert.

Not really sure what you mean here...

“I’m lost, back to square one. I don’t want to leave home, but I don’t want to live with my parents,at first her eyes grew wide, adverted my own, her hands again occupying her idle gaze, and her voice gained tempo, then she reclaimed her calm, but pushed on.

Dude, dude, dude, slow down! All that stuff, everything is here in one sentence. Her eyes going here, there, her hands doing this, her voice doing that, she calms down, she carries on talking. Cue maniacal shriek like the fish in The Cat In The Hat: “It’s too much!” You know, the movie, not the book.

Also, as you don’t have a tag, end the dialogue with a full stop and start the narrative with a capital.

“I love them, but life at the Little household is so mundane, I couldn’t last a year of Dad’s cooking and Mom’s soaps. I have thought about travelling again but I can’t afford it,” Kate let out an embellished lengthy sigh then smiled and finally asked,
“What should I do Rocky?” * I knew the question was coming but her problems were trivial, at least your living with your parents was an option.

Again with the comma thing. If you don’t have a tag, like he said or she said, something that directly connects with the dialogue, you end with a full stop and begin with a capital letter. Your spacing is also wrong here, and I noticed you did this earlier as well. Keep all of Person A’s dialogue in the same paragraph and only start a new paragraph when someone else starts talking. So keep Kate’s question on the same paragraph as her complaint, and start the new paragraph where the asterisk is. It’s kind of mean for Rocky to downgrade Kate’s problems to “trivial”. Yeah, they might not be on the same scale as Rocky’s, but “trivial” has a very patronising feel to it.

“Well University begins in only a few weeks so it may be too late to enrol, and what would you study? You’re too smart as it is. I can’t think of anyone else with the courage to do what you have done, change you’re course every semester. Photography, journalism, creative writing, commercial law, Politics, and -” I paused, scratched the back of my head and let my gaze wonder up, in fallacious muse.

Can you even change course that many times? Surely they wouldn’t want someone who can’t make up their mind—wouldn’t they tell her to shake the ants out of her pants and settle down?

You’re = you are. You want “your” – the possessive thingie.

“-Anthropology” She interrupted and by now her smile was growing as though every word hooked the edges of her mouth and drew them wider.

Small letter on the tag and end the dialogue with a comma. And that’s rather an odd simile.

Kate shined, and then she began to giggle.

She.... shined? Usually you’d say shone, and how come she’s glowing, gleaming, glimmering?

Kate’s eyes shaped into quarter moons and held a beam; her laughter not yielding to her words.

Quarter moons? What shape’s that? Is it, you know, eye-shaped at all? The bolded part really needs rewording. It sounds choppy and archaic.

Now I didn’t want to leave her behind without some form of commitment, our next ren de vous.

Should be “rendezvous”.

“Yeah that sounds great, I will clear my super busy schedule,” she made her eyes wide, brows high as she said ‘busy.’

You don’t need the bolded part, I already get the sarcasm, and so much detail is just telling.

I felt her breath then her lips. As she pulled away from my cheek, she spoke, “Thanks again Rocky, take care.”
“You to.”

This is emotionless! She just kissed him, even though he said he wasn’t into her, and even though it was on the cheek, a kiss is a kiss, and he’s starting to like her, it seems, so there should be fireworks and inner turmoil! Oh, and “to” should be “too”.

On the screen, they awkwardly sat on stools, side by side.

Stools really aren’t very comfy, and remember how old these people are. Surely they’d be on chairs?

“So you two fought in World War two, which in itself is an exceptional thing, but to have met in those circumstances and both still be alive it must be a strange feeling” The reporter wore a neat blue suit and spoke with a quaint London accent, almost pompous.

Full stop to end dialogue. Why is a London accent quaint and pompous?

“It’s- ” the American choked down a sob.

A minute ago he was flashing a holey grin and now he’s about to break down? He wasn’t even really asked anything major, just “how do you feel about that”, and surely they wouldn’t have asked him on television if he was going to blub at everything.

---
Hello!

The main problems in this chapter are grammatical ones. Look at how things are laid out in a book, and it’ll save a lot of time. Things like ending dialogue with a comma and one speaker to one paragraph are basic features that you need to learn, and if you do get them right, it saves me having to point them out so I can focus on other stuff. :)

Some of your wording was very choppy, and I think you could avoid this if you read it out loud, paying attention to the punctuation you’ve put in. It doesn’t have to be really loud, just loud enough so you get a sense of the rhythm and pace of it all. It’s why I don’t really like writing in public because I have a tendency to act my dialogue out without realising, and then I get funny looks from people, lol. It really does help, though. ^_^

PM or Wall me with any questions!

-twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:40 pm
Rydia says...

Why hullo again! I've finally got a chance to take a look at your fourth chapter so let's get stuck in shall we?

My first comment is I'd like to hear Rocky's thoughts on her having ordered for him. Even if it's not in character for him to say anything to Kate about it, how does he feel? Does it make him feel uncomfortable that she knows him that well - or is the order perhaps not what he would have wanted? Or does he smile to think that she got the drink right or is he amused by her impatience? Is this something she does often? You don't have to write about all these things but just a sentence or two would be nice to give us another pointer on their friendship.

“You’re looking very smart with a haircut and manicured beard by the way,” Kate said, with lips drawn into a smile. My cheeks felt warm. <<< This line of dialogue sounds pretty forced. Why not leave it at you're looking smart? Or have her say that she likes his hair/ his beard? Manicured is just such a formal. unusual word and the whole sentence seems put there to tell the reader that he's had a haircut.]

“I put all the photos from our trip on there, in case you wanted a copy.” I felt something when she handed it to me, at first I felt sad, and then my chest seemed to expand with contentment [There's quite a lot of other grammar issues but this is the one that really stood out so far. Even so, have a read through this to double check it.]. I almost wanted to reach out and take her hand, but I retracted with only the USB.

Alrighty! So Twit has already touched on much of the grammar so instead I'm going to sway more to characters and plot. First, characters. I got a much better feel for Kate in this chapter so nice work there! I think she could have come across as just a little more vulnerable though. It's hard to place my finger on what it is but at the moment she just feels too much in control so I found it hard to believe that she really was all that uncertain or worried about her future.

Rocky is still doing alright. He's a little passive at the moment and I'd like to know more of his thoughts because too often his dialogue is vague or directed at allowing other characters to open up. Also, I think the scene at the end needs more work. Why does Rocky feel such a sympathy and connection to the verterans? What links, if any, does he have to the war? He doesn't seem an overly sensitive boy so the crying felt a bit too random for me as the dialogue or scene wasn't heart-warming enough to make even most girls cry. It was the type that would have got at those who also had connections to the war, yes, but not a young boy with other things on his mind.

As for plot, this chapter had more of interest than your last so nice work there. The meeting with Kate was well played out and once that end scene is cleared up I think it will add some nice intrigue.

Well that's all for now but feel free to drop me a pm if you add another chapter,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore