Young Writers Society

God's gifts chapter 1

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm
smilelikeyoumeanit says...

This is a new idea i am working on tell me what you think of it. Thankyou

Chapter 1 – Enya Wood

The echoic hall lent it’s acoustic to bouncing the dripping of tears; the deep pants for breath and the blur of uneven syllabus and pitches that were usually the side effects of crying. I didn’t feel tears or grief. I felt anger, a blunderous flame in my lungs, which made it hard to breathe.

The church was swept with frost as the grave oak doors seized open. It was then, hauled by her brother’s, Delilah’s coffin was carried down the aisle. Draped in soft white paint and a huge Cadbury’s purple bow laced over the front. She’d been beautiful, artistic, talented and above all kind hearted. She was innocent and magical and I knew we would all miss her deeply. As it passed us on the back row I felt a warm tingle strike my spine. It was the knowledge that this was it, she was really gone after this but the grieving and the trial were not.

Delilah had been killed in a hit and run accident. We’d all been there, me, Nixie, Avani, Soleil and Camden; especially Camden. She’d ran to try and save Delilah when she spotted the car haring around the bend that September night. The night was not dark just painted in a pearly blue. Delilah had skimmed across the road to stroke an exceptionally rare silver fox as it slinked through the golden corn. She clumsily tripped while she was crossing. She never stood back up.

I looked to my left. Soleil’s bubblegum pink hair was half plaited back and tied in a big black chiffon bow. A few reluctant tears streamed down her stony face. It wasn’t that Soleil didn’t care she simply didn’t like crying and tried to hold back any negative emotions. Sadness was what she classed as one of these emotions; instead she fidgeted with the tutu bottom of her black dress. Soleil had in a petrified panic instantly rang an ambulance and the police. She fretted, she was soothing and calm tranquil at all times and could usually bring pleasure to anyone. She was not her usual chilled out self at that moment in time.

“Hello?” She’d shuddering said to the phone, “I need an ambulance, quick and a police car to or anyone who can help us. My friends been hit by a car but the car has driven off,” She paused a second from her frantic squeaky words not drawing a single breath, “Just outside Raytown village on the road between Raytown and Hearth.” She then put the phone down.

The medial teams attempts could not bring Delilah back to us though, she was apparently gone straight away because her head took most of the blow. Delilah's phone had been taking in for examination, to see if it had accidently picked up anything from her death. It drew nothing, so Soleil asked if she could take it.

In the August of that same year Soleil had bought a 1940’s make-up box from a antique shop in Hearth. It was a distressed cream with massive dusky pink roses painted on the front. It had a leather strap and a pale pink interior. Delilah had adored it and always really wanted it. It now sat at the end of Soleil’s peep-toed boots, teaming with photos from Delilah’s phone. It was her parting gift instead of flowers.

Next to Soleil was Nixie. Nixie was Soleil’s pole opposite when it came to emotion, she was an emotional mess. In seconds Nixie could switch from breaking her heart out devastated to glorified joy, from deep passionate love to just as passionate hate, from burning anger to the most chilled out person it the world. At this moment her eyes were flooding with tears. Her nose was snotty and her whole face looked really pale and gaunt. She was inconsolable. She had been on that night too. She had wept and wept and wept and the roadside. I highly doubt that she stopped since.

To my right was Avani. She’s always been so motherly to all of us and cares for us all. She had a few black tears dribbling down her face and it was scrunched into a pained manor. She’d been a mother on that night too. She had been on the floor by Delilah’s side trying to resuscitate her. She failed obviously but she was caring for her in a way that only Avani could.

I couldn’t bear to look at Camden’s face. She was sat at the front with Delilah’s family; she’d been inconsolable since it happened and today was not going to be any different. If any thing she was going to be ten times worse. The ceremony passed and I tried to keep myself calm. It was one of the most awful experiences of my life, saying goodbye; little did I know this wasn’t goodbye.

About a week later I was dressed in my silken cream bed sheets, fast and tightly asleep. My warm orange walls surrounded me and I was in my safe place. My bed. My little segment of luxury. I could have slept for days but I was rudely interrupted. My soft feathery mattress turned slim and hard. It felt like I had suddenly exchanged my comfortable springy mattress for a park bench.
My eyelashes fluttered open and I found myself immersed in green waxy healthy leaves.
“What!” I bleated in shock. In my true graceful manor I tried to cease myself to my feet but instead I flat on my face in a bed of dewy grass. The truth of the matter was that I didn’t have a clue where I was, it was like paradise. A road of glitter lead from the centre of the tree, it shone ruby red a rustic colour that blitzed from the ground to the sky. My intuition promised that answers would be found if I followed this road. I followed the flaming glitter until I reached a sandy stage.

“Oh my god, Enya,” A joyous voice screeched at me. I spun back on myself to see Nixie’s face beaming from cheek to cheek. As she started skipping up the glitter path it blended from the warm passionate red to a calm relaxed oceanic blue.
“How did you get here?” Nixie giggled and she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck.
“I was laid in bed and my mattress became a branch from the tree I guess,” Informed her still unsure about the circumstances, “and how i'd you come here?”
“Well you know how I have them shelves in the back of my wardrobe? I was reaching into the back of my wardrobe to get a book and I felt a waxy material. I was pulling at it and I got a leaf in my hand. So I climbed into my wardrobe and found myself hanging on the branch of a tree. It was very strange,” Nixie explained her situation to me. After a few moments we heard a large thump. We both recoiled on ourselves.

“Damn,” screamed Avani. She ran not noticing the fact that the road has changed to a fresh pure green. “I was asleep in my bed and when I woke up I was inside the alcove and then I fell out of the alcove when I woke up,” Avani blared as she walked up the glittering path. The tree was greener, healthier in her presence. She appeared a little confused by our presence and so we explained how we had reached this secluded area.

The next to join us was Camden sat in the top of the tree on her laptop blissfully unaware of the fact that she was no longer at home. In her typical graceful way she hooked the laptop under her arm and clambered down the tree. When her feet hit the glitter ground it gleamed a vibrant pink. A Barbie pink. She ran over to us her bright pink laptop still under her arm. She was perfectly unphased by the situation. We looked along the line and noticed that we were one person missing. Soleil.

A few moments whizzed past and then a door opened from the bottom of the tree and Soleil tottered out.
“Oh god!” She shrieked and as she pattered along the luminous yellow shimmering road and came to join us. “Seriously what the f*** is this place?’ Soleil barricaded her true emotions from us as she covered her highly visible chest.
“No b***** clue,” Nixie answered stressing the same tension in her words as Soleil did.

“I think we’re dreaming,” Soleil established confidently, “This is all in my head! I’m going to wake up shortly and laugh because this is really funny how scared you all look.”
“And we are all having the same dream Soleil?” I felt this plenteous rage thunder inside me.
“Well it’s a better idea then you have,” Soleil’s voice was liquid and soothing in comparison.
“I wish you wouldn’t be so f****** thick all of the time!” I shouted at her, she was so ditzy and care free and it made my blood boil when obviously something was so wrong.
“Girls,” Avani’s stern motherly voice cut my rant off.
“Well she is so ditzy, all the b***** time,” I found myself more and more annoyed by Soleil’s personality more then I had ever been before. It was uncontrollable and it smoldered deep in my veins.
“Enya, I can’t be bothered with your antics. This is scary enough with out you blowing your top. We’re all still stressed about Delilah and now this fr***** freaky s*** is going down and you blitzing us all doesn’t help,” Camden roared, the torment of Delilah’s death was still ripping her apart inside. While we all shouted and screamed at each other the skies opened.

Her voice was beautiful, this exquisite lyrical tone that could make you feel like waves are dancing over you.
“I am Mary-Anna, the current embodiment of all Earthly powers,” she melodically sang.
“Mary-Anna, where are we?” and for that pulse of a heartbeat Soleil sounded brave as she stepped closer to the obviously powerful woman, “are we dead?” she dizzily whispered at the end of the pulse.
“You did not just ask that!” I angrily raved at her.
“Well it’s an option,” she girly fluttered. Just as I parted my mouth to erotically bellow at her, Nixie stepped between us.
“For f**** sake Enya there is no need to yell like you’ve just escaped the loony bin! What’s Mary-Anna… your highness, going to think,” Nixie washed her soothing waves over me.
“On the contrary Miss Nixie, I was most definitely expecting this from Miss Enya. In fact if Miss Enya was not so short fused and hot headed I would be worried. You see girls you all personify one of the elements of life, Miss Enya personifies Fire,” Mary-Anna enlightened us with her fantastic voice. A whiz of excitement buzzed in me at the idea of being the soul barer of fire.
“Me! I am the personification of fire! What does that mean?” My voice warmed and became a tender. I was the one asking ditzy questions now.
“Being the personification of fire means you will one day become fires immortal. At the moment you can’t control your element because it’s coming in, in drips however when your element is totally filling you, you’ll be a different person. There for you need to go to D.W.D, the diligent warriors decathe, it’ll help you to stop loosing yourself. When you grow into fires immortal you’ll be able to set any part of your body alight into flames. You’ll throw fire and be able to set anything on fire with your mind. Fire has the additional ability to attack. Obviously all of you have an immortal opposite, Miss Nixie,” Mary-Anna highlighted Nixie from the crowd of us.

“What am I?” Nixie’s eyes glittered. You could see that Nixie was utterly thrilled at being enlightened on what her extra special power was.
“You miss Nixie, are known for jumping from one extreme emotion to the next, from calm to angry, from wild to sleepy, Mary-Anna described Nixie perfectly.
“I’m not that bad,” Nixie dejectedly snapped.
“But you personify water Miss Nixie, that’s the automatic trait of a water immortal. You’re mature, emotionally diverse and a typical water type. As the personification of water you will one day become water’s immortal. You will be able to control any type of water from a cup of water to the vastest of oceans. Your tears are healing but your additional power in defense. Water can shield but just like Miss Enya you need to attend D.W.D to stop yourself from getting lost,” Mary-Anna explained Nixie’s water abilities.

“So what do immortal opposites mean?” Nixie angelically asked what I also wished to know.
“Yeah! What does it mean?” I backed up her case. Mary-Anna looked straight down at the pair of us.
“Well it means that you, Nixie and Enya, bare an extra special bond. You can understand each more but only when you truly need each other. The rest of the time you’ll argue like crazy,” Mary-Anna enlightened us even though our minds were cascading with information.

“Avani!” Mary-Anna proclaimed chirpily. Summarily Avani walked up to Mary-Anna.
“Yes,” Avani’s brisky twang was joyous, she was never scared.
“I knew you’d stride forward with such immense confidence. You and me bloom here at the grabbing tree.. You, like I, personify Earth and this tree is the mark of Earth where the powers of Earth manifest. There is a place for each element at every fringe of Kenanpation from The grabbing tree in the far east to the obsolete grave in the west.”
“What’s Kenanpation?” Avani burst into the convosation.
“That’s where you are silly,” Mary-Anna blissfully blossomed. Avani just gave her the most vacant of looks as her head bobbed up and down continually. “As the personification of Earth you can control the earth however you wish from the planets to the ground beneath your feet. You can even make animals bow to your every whim. And your extra power is to heal anyone and anything. It’s rather a magical feeling as this is one element that I can quite happily comment on,” Mary-Anna presented all of the ways in which Avani was gifted.

Avani was euphoric, in every step, every inch of her innocent being. Her warm, comforting arms lapped us all into her chest, in a loving embrace. It only made sense that her power was to heal, for her hands twinge in an enchanted manor. Mary-Anna’s shifty eyes then placed themselves upon Camden.
“Miss Camden,” Mary-Anna’s velvet voice rolled Camden’s name as it demanded her presence.
“Yes,” Camden quivered.
“Oh, how frail are you,” grinned Mary-Anna; I could have scripted her next words, “Just as I expected. Your delicate whisper, your shy personality, you personify air. And when the day arises that you become air’s immortal you’ll be able to fly, high above the clouds, you’ll be able to summon the wind and use it however you wish. Also air’s extra power is to flee. Air can always find safety. You miss Camden and Miss Avani are immortal opposites,” Mary-Anna bestowed the information upon Camden. Avani and Camden turned to each other and exchanged a blissful high five. Then all eyes landed on Soleil.

“Your majesty Mary-Anna.” She respectfully began, “What am I? There are only 4 elements. Fire, water, Earth and air and there are five of us. I don’t understand.” It was a rare situation when I found myself actually understanding Soleil, but this was admittedly one of them times.
“Fire, Water, Earth and Air are the Greek elements. I did not mention Greek elements; I said the elements of life. That is where your element comes to play. It’s one of the most intriguing elements to me for there has never been barer of this temperamental power. You personify day. As day you can manipulate any person or anything in the hours of sunlight. But at night you lose all your power apart from the extra power of day, which is to foresee. You will be able to act at the night but you shall need to be day’s immortal for that to happen, plus you’d have to work hard,” Soleil, who was a little shaken by these revelations, revolved to face the rest of our group. Her calculating mind looked over us, counting us all.
“Okay, but also, I don’t have an immortal opposite,” Soleil rasped, breathless.
“About that,” Mary-Anna bore perceptive grin. Her iced fingers blitzed purple and musky haze in the same violet tone wisped before us. Soleil shivered back into place, obviously scared by the ominous mist.
Mary-Anna held her stance.

She stepped from the mist. A creak on wood. The forest fell silent. Our bodies chilled. Hearts once stop, pulsed back into motion. The words were not found.

“Oh my god!” Soleil’s voice tremor, her mind boggled. It was surprisingly or unsurprisingly that it was Camden who rushed to her side first, on a whiz of air.
“Oh my god! I can’t actually believe it! Is this real Mary-Anna! It b***** better be! Even if it’s not I don’t care!” Her often-controlled voice was squeaking all over the place.
“I take it that you are all acquainted with Delilah Nyx,” Mary-Anna formally presented her and the rest of our group pounced on her.

“How? No offence Delilah but how are you alive?” Soleil’s vibrant voice was explicit as she asked the question we all secretly wished to know.
“One question at a time girls,” Mary-Anna cut our poised lips, “Camden this is all real. If you’re waiting to wake up, you’ll be waiting an awful long time. Well, Soleil, your all in the land of the gifted and dead or alive the gifted of the elements come here. This is why Delilah is here. Here she can live.”
“Here I can live immortal, forever and ever,” Delilah was spunky in a way that had been sucked from her the last time, which we had seen her.

“Delilah is Soleil’s immortal opposite. Delilah personifies night, which alike Soleil’s power is extremely temperamental. But Delilah can only be powerful in the hours of darkness,” Mary-Anna concluded her explanation. Soleil and Delilah swapped anxious grins as finally each of us was presented with our otherworldly gifts.

“I leave you now girls, You’ll find your way to D.W.D and if I help, well you wouldn’t be learning would you,” Mary-Anna bayed us farewell and whisked her long twiggy arm over herself. As her arm veiled a part of her body sparks of electrifying green appeared making that part of her become invisible. After a few moments she was gone and again we were alone in the leafy green forest.

“Anyone got a plan,” I instructed, charging this fumbling group. Their adolescent faces drew blank. Apart from Soleil’s, it was highly concentrated, for a mirror was stooped at her nose end and she was contently powdering it. Though it was pleasure to finally see our wholesome group together once more, it had slipped my mind how completely docile they could be.
Delilah scrunched her plush brown hair out of her dazed eyes and examined our new landscape.
“There are seven paths,” Delilah began to breech, “One of blue and one of red. One of pink and one of green. One purple, one yellow and a seventh of coal. Now the glitter path shines green it’s neutral state. It’s glittering emerald right now. It leads to the grabbing tree yes. And it changed to a different colour for each of us yes?”
“Red,” I beamed.
“Blue,” Nixie bleated.
“Green,” Avani yelled, child-like.
“Pink,” Camden was rather thrilled at that point.
““Yellow,” Soleil giggled.
“And Purple,” Delilah reminded us as she stepped on to the glitter track again, “So there for we should really go down the neutral road, which is the coal road.” We all nodded in agreement of Delilah’s decisions.

“Wait!” Soleil dramatically stopped us, “we’re still in our bed clothes. We can’t walk on coal a road bare foot. It would be painful!” I mocked her savagely.
“Well your day Soleil. You can control anything around you,” Delilah caringly beamed, “Ask the tree.”
“Does it have to rhyme?” Soleil stupidly asked.
“No,” Delilah disapproving established.
“Well that sounds more like a spell so I’ll go with that,” Soleil sprung merrily. Elegantly she danced up to the grabbing tree and rasped her spell.
“Dear grabbing tree, I need some shoes,
First a pair of boots in hazy blues,
Second flats, ruby red,
Then the same again, but pink instead,
Then some trainers, emerald green,
Followed by loafers in aubergine,
Finally tree, a pair for me,
Some heels… that are gold, and glittery!”

The lower leaves of the tree transformed in a green and gold mist and deformed into six pair of shoes, just as Soleil wished. First a pair of ice blue doc martins, obviously for Nixie. Then two pairs of ballet pumps one red and one pink, for Camden and me. Each pair was decorated with innocent little roses. Then there were a pair of bright green basketball boots for Avani, then a dainty pair of dark purple loafers for conventional Delilah. Finally on the lowest branch were a stunning pair of gold glittery stilettos for Soleil herself. We each hauled a pair of shoes upon our feet as Soleil had wished and began down the path of coal hoping it would lead us to the long awaited D.W.D.
Last edited by smilelikeyoumeanit on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 pm
IsItLove says...

I really enjoyed this. I likeed the begining and how it progressed. Here are some nitpicks:

quick and a police car to
You need to add and extra 'o' to the 'to' because it is as if you were saying aswell.

My friends been hit by a car
You need to add an ' to the 'friends' to make it my 'friend had been' instead of my 'friends' plural.

She had been on that night too.
She'd been a mother on that night too
. I think these sentences are too similar as they are only a paragraph apart. Personally, I would change one of them.

and how i'd you come here
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here you need to change it so it is clear to the reader what you are trying to say.

Well you know how I have them shelves in the back of my wardrobe
You need to change the 'them' to 'those' shelves, unless you are trying to reflect her speech in the writing.

Mary-Anna bore perceptive grin
you need to a to make it 'a perceptive' other wise it doesn't make sense.

Overall, I really enjoyed this piece of writing. Although I think you should bring the car accident into the later writing, otherwise, to me, it feels like a trick you used to lure the reader in.

I really enjoyed this piece and look forward to reading more. :)
Passion for writing make all the difference; it turns a good novel into a great one.

24 Reviews

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Hello Isitlove :)

thank you so much for your help :) i'm writing another chapter now, i just want to see the reaction to this one before i continued. don't worry the plot thickens and there are lots of links. I've made the decision that it's just going to be one of them books :L i'll let you know when the second chapter is complete.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:41 pm
Betheny says...

I appologise in addvance: I only rad half of it, it all fairness though my laptop will start to die soon... I've enjoyed it thourghly so far though. I like the shared dream bit and how the road changes colour when each new person comes along, I have a feeling it's all something to do with there personalities? I don't know, wild speculations of a strange mind. Anywho, I feel like you suffer the same thing I do, only in smaller fashion: over use of words. Close to the begining it's almost as if you've thought that everything needs describing and it doesn't, as is so often said, less can be more. Tiny little nit pick, it sounds rather heartless when you say "She had been on the floor by Delilah’s side trying to resuscitate her. She failed obviously...", it just seems cold as if the speaker (fancy new phrase we lerned in English today) dosen't really care. Other than that however it's really good, please keep writing it and I'd be more than happy to read more. One of my favourite things is that while at the funeral you keep swaping between present and past, introducing each of the characters through what they did and how they reacted. Hope this has helped, love Beth
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

24 Reviews

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Thank you Beth :)
i really appreciate your comments and I'm glad you like the story. yeah now that you've brought it to my attention that line does sound a little heartless. I think the point i was going for with that line was that Enya is a little bit blunt, and fiery which is why she personifies fire but i think that line needs to be kinder. I don't mind at all that you didn't read it all and it kind of made me laugh that you believed Soleil :L because she meant to be the really ditzy character. It goes on in this chapter to explain how this is all real ect. I was wondering what you would suggest about the description of the crash. i had wrote it like because alot of the points will link to later on in the story (how i'm not quite sure yet) but i was wondering how i could give less away and still keep them point in any suggestions?

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 am
1wasprt says...

I liked the beginning because it kept me wondering what was happening. You should continue to keep the people wondering what was going on instead of just bringing it out into the open really fast. But overall i thought it was an amazing piece of work and I'm gonna go ahead and take a wild guess that you're a christian, which i also admire.
He who is without sin may cast the first stone.
~John 8:7

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:41 pm
Vervain says...

Hallo! Since you asked so nicely, I'm here to review after I've had my coffee. Please pardon if I start sounding a little funny; I'm on my caffeine rush and trying to be coherent. Also, this is going to be very long - it gets more condensed down by the end, where I got a little tired and skipped a few little issues. About three-quarters of the way down, maybe a little more, I get into the actual heavy story elements. I promise. There isn't very much story in the beginning for me to deal with - there rarely is. It's the beginning, after all.

Let's start with the first paragraph. To begin with, I think the second word - echoic - is out of place, unless the hall resembles an echo itself. That's the technical definition of the word; perhaps "echoing" would work better? As for "it's", that should be changed to "its". Fun fact: none of the possessive pronouns, excluding "one's", - mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, theirs - have apostrophes in them. ^^ I thought that was interesting when I found that out. Also, perhaps you might want to say "acoustics" to refer to the echoing, since "acoustic" is an adjective. (Acoustic sound, acoustic guitar, etc.)

"Bouncing the dripping of tears" doesn't sound quite right to me. Maybe "bouncing the sound of dripping tears", to emphasize (yet again) that it's a sound? Otherwise it kind of looks like the tears are bouncing off the walls like echoes. (That was a fun mental image... xD) Also, if you're going to continue the sentence after the semicolon, then the semicolon ought to be a comma to uplift the sentence instead of moving the idea on. ^^ I think when you said "syllabus", you meant "syllables"; after that, the next sentence confuses of. "I didn't feel tears or grief"? "Tears of grief", perhaps you meant, but maybe that's just me in the morning, confusing things as usual.

I like the last sentence of this paragraph! Except I don't know if blunderous is a word (maybe thunderous?). I'll give it to you, though.

Second paragraph. (Oh dear, this is going to end up a very long review, I'll give you that.) In the first sentence - "seized open" doesn't quite make sense. "Swung" open, perhaps? Seized sounds more like a word you would use if you were literally seizing the doors - making them your own territory, bringing them home. In the second sentence, I think you meant "brother's" as a plural (brothers, no apostrophe). Otherwise, one would infer that Delilah and her brother were carried in coffins side by side, which I doubt is the image you want your readers to come away with. Also, before the "hauled by her brothers" parenthetical, you need to put "that". If you take out the parenthetical, the sentence reads "It was then Delilah's coffin..." and the sentence reads smoother as "It was then that Delilah's coffin".

Hmm. Perhaps at the end of the "Delilah's coffin" sentence, you ought to put a comma instead of a full stop to continue the imagery of the coffin. Cutting it off makes it seem like you're describing something else entirely, and you haven't yet introduced to the reader what that is. In the next sentence, you switch to a description of Delilah, which I suppose fits, but after "and" and after "all" there you to be commas, and kind-hearted with a hyphen. ^^ Thus the sentence would read "...and, above all, kind-hearted." Also a comma after "magical" in the next sentence (I nearly said a "coma", dear me; we don't want comas, now, do we?) for purely grammatical reasons.

The next two sentences are kind of confusing. I can get your general meaning from them, but you switch back to the coffin from Delilah, and I feel that instead of saying "it" you could say "her coffin" or even just "the coffin". In the next sentence, perhaps "that she was really gone", then comma after "this". Thus it would read "...this was it, that she was really gone after this, but the grieving and the trial were not."

third paragraph. Hit-and-run with hyphens, perhaps, to connect the ideas? In the next sentence, a colon after "there". "We'd all been there: me, Nixie, Avani..." then end with a full stop, then you can say "Especially Camden." Also, when using the passive voice, it would be "she had run", not "she had ran"; passive reverts the second verb to present tense, but without passive it would be "she ran".

"The night was not dark" - comma after dark, to separate "dark" and "pearly blue". I think the rest of this paragraph is actually okay, except "clumsily tripped". That sounds a little redundant; one can assume that tripping is clumsy, even if some people would try to make it graceful.

Fourth paragraph. The first thing I found in this to change was (besides the fact that bubblegum-pink should probably be hyphenated, but I'm just hyphenous in general) after "It wasn't that Soleil didn't care". There ought to be a semicolon or a colon after "care"; if a colon, then the word "she" after the punctuation out to be capitalised. I also don't get, in the next sentence, how sadness is related to fidgeting, but I'll leave it alone for now.

"Soleil had" - comma after "had", comma after "panic" to create the parenthetical "in a petrified panic". Perhaps at the end you could add "when Delilah was hit" to establish the time frame in the switch from present to past within the paragraph? You did switch from active to passive voice, but the aim isn't to make the readers work for the surface message, it's to make them work for the underlying message. Also, in the sentence starting with "She fretted" - you're in active again; what happened? In the passive voice, the sentence should likely read "She had fretted then; normally, she was soothing and calm, tranquil at all times, and could usually bring pleasure to anyone." This makes the sentence smoother to better fit with the rest of your paragraph. In the last sentence of the paragraph, "chilled-out" should, again, have a hyphen (I feel like I'm in hyphen overload here; you can feel free to disregard any of these). Also, your repetition of the word "time" feels a little... stilted. It's weird. Maybe cut the sentence off at "that moment".

Fifth paragraph - "She'd shuddering said to the phone" sounds kind of awkward. Maybe "She'd said into the phone, shuddering", and then end with a full stop because her next piece of dialogue is a different sentence than "Hello?", which already has ending punctuation. Then a comma after "quick" (another parenthetical), and - as another reviewer already said - the homophone "to" ought to be "too". Also, apostrophe in "friends" (friend's) to use the passive voice, comma after the first "car" - and maybe "the car drove off" instead of using the passive voice, because she can speak in active when her actions are in passive. End after "driven off" with a full stop, because that's a full sentence. Comma after "frantic" and "words" to make it smoother; end after "breath" with a full stop, then "village" ought to be capitalised since it's a name (Raytown Village). Eliminate the word "then" from the last sentence, because it sounds a bit too... drawn out. "She put the phone down" or "She hung up" might fit better.

Sixth paragraph. I think you meant "medical", not "medial"; "teams" ought to be "team's" with an apostrophe (since it's their attempts). Comma after "us" to make the sentence flow better, then a semicolon after "though", since after the comma it's a different (but still related) sentence. In the second sentence - "taken" instead of "taking"; "accidentally" instead of "accidently".

Seventh paragraph - comma after "year", since that's a technical parenthetical. Other than that, at the end of the paragraph I think you meant "teeming" (full) instead of "teaming" (grouping), and then a comma after "gift" to separate the gift and the instead-of-flowers bit.

Eighth paragraph - I believe you wanted to say "polar" opposite; instead it comes off sounding like they're at separate ends of a pole, holding it up or something. Though I do have to admit that would be an entertaining description, you might want to check the words you're using to make sure they fit. After "emotion", a semicolon or colon. If a colon, again, capitalise "she". In the next sentence, you might have wanted "devastated" as a parenthetical descriptor, so comma after "out" and comma after "devastated" to separate it a bit. Near the end of that sentence "it the world" should be "in the world", though I'm sure you've already seen this. In the next sentence, please eliminate the "really", unless the speaker is an eight-year-old boy or something; it sounds superfluous and more than a bit immature, contrasting with "gaunt". "Wept and the roadside" might want to be "at the roadside"; in the last sentence you might want to switch "she stopped" to "she had stopped", since the passive voice would imply the time from then to whenever now is in the story.

What the heck, the rest of this - this is getting insanely long, so I'll combine and separate where I feel it's due. I think when you're describing Avani as caring, you should say "she had always been so motherly... and cared for us all", since the rest of your story is in past tense, not present. Also, why are her tears black? (And the house pained?) You meant "manner", hon, not "manor". ;) Perhaps a comma after "Delilah's side"; comma after "failed" and comma after "obviously", otherwise the speaker sounds a little cold-hearted. Then "[Camden] was sat" - "sitting", perhaps, not "sat"? That would bring your verb tense up to speed. ^^ Comma after "happened". "Anything" is one word; comma after "anything"; comma after "passed"; comma after "know". (And aw... suspense! Yay! Except your foreshadowing is a little off; it sounds so cliché to say "little did I know" that you could cut it out. Perhaps "It's a shame I didn't know that this wasn't goodbye"?)

The word "segment" is awkward. (I think I'll stop with the punctuation for the most part and focus on the words; that seems to do the most good. I'll dip into punctuation if I see a large error, but fear not the tiny comma-notes.) Maybe "piece" instead; "segment" makes it sound like you have a centipede named Luxury. Comma after days, please? (Okay, this is the last one, I swear.)

You repeat mattress and describe it with two different adjectives in both of those sentences... perhaps in the second it could be "...exchanged my bed for a park bench."

I like how you describe the leaves - green, waxy, healthy - but it seems like the adjectives run on. Maybe just one or two? Waxy, healthy leaves sounds nice; it's kind of implied that healthy leaves would be green, unless you're facing something like a purple leaf plum.

"Bleated" makes it sound like your main character in this section is a sheep or a goat. That would be interesting... but I sincerely doubt it. You could just cut out the dialogue tag, but if you're stuck on it, bleated is actually a pretty cool word to describe an exclamation. I would never use it, myself - it's your word, use it. Again, you want "manner" and not "manor", and you're making the main character sound kind of like a self-absorbed, well... a self-absorbed prick, to be honest.

Did you mean "ease" instead of "cease"? "Fell flat" instead of just plain "flat"?

Also, after "didn't have a clue where I was," you should probably add "but" before "it was like". Also, for the "tree" sentence, maybe:
A road of glitter led from the centre of the tree, which shone ruby red: a rustic colour that blazed from the ground to the sky.
If you use "lead" instead of "led", it looks like a glittery poisonous metal, which may not be far off, but I believe you didn't mean it with the A. ;) Also, "blitzed" isn't a verb that's very good for colours. It brings to mind bombs, for the most part. And, uh, it's slang for drunk or stoned. Yeah.

"Flaming glitter" - the glitter is on fire? Why are you following it, then? Perhaps "flame-coloured" glitter instead, so that your protagonist isn't walking on hot coals.

"A joyous voice" ought to be lowercase, since you lead it in from the dialogue. Also, Nixie's face is beaming? Where is the light coming from? Perhaps "...turned to see Nixie beaming, smiling from cheek to cheek" or something the like. (My back started to hurt at this point, so I was much more incoherent. Forgive me for that. After a short break...)

I would eliminate the words "warm" and "calm" from the colour descriptors, making them "passionate red" and "relaxed oceanic blue"; "warm" and "passionate" are a little redundant, as are "calm" and "relaxed". Maybe, also, when Nixie's throwing her arms say "[she] giggled and wrapped her arms", since not every clause has to be independent.

Here's a suggested edit for the next paragraph, the POV speaker:
“I was laying in bed, and my mattress became a branch from the tree, I guess,” I informed her, still unsure about the circumstances. “How did you come here?”
Saying "And how" seems a little silly, unless you're using it like "And how did the sea strike the waves!" etc. for emphasis.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nixie's explanation of things. It kind of feels very... jilted; not at all the way a normal person would talk. Like, someone might say "some weird waxy thing" instead of "a waxy material". As it is, it sounds like Nixie's from the 1800's or something and telling a story.

I think my next peeve is at the end of the Camden introduction; it should be "one person short", not "one person missing" - or "missing one person", instead.

Then down in "Enya, I can't be bothered" - how is Enya "blitzing" them? Like I said earlier... maybe it has some other meaning for you, though? I don't know. I sincerely do not know.

Then, whose voice was beautiful? Perhaps "A beautiful voice rang down" instead of saying "Her", which confuses the reader. Also, "melodically sang" is redundant. I know some people can sing and not be melodic, but if the woman has a lyrical voice, then it would be safe to assume her singing is melodic; you could say "she sang".

"She girly fluttered"... hm? "She fluttered girlishly" might make a bit more sense here.

Then the speaker parted her mouth to "erotically" bellow at her... I'm sorry. You need to change that word to something else. Let's be serious here, eroticism has nothing to do with bellowing.

Then it suddenly delves into the story. Um... what. Seriously, that's all I can think right now. You have all these girls and then this beautiful woman is telling them exactly what they are and what they need to do, and all element of mystery is just kind of wiped out. It's a little strange. There's this total information dump and the reader barely has time to catch up, but apparently the characters understand everything. This Mary-Anna person seems like - well, she seems like a deus ex machina gimmick, like someone sent just to explain the whole thing so the readers won't be confused or anything and the characters get where they're going double-quick and it's just... It's weird, and it feels like it's only there to move the story at a double-quick pace.

After that, I kind of lost track, because somehow Delilah knows absolutely everything... and then the names somehow fit the characters? Uhm. I know it's probably written just for that, but even the name Soleil is a little distracting, let alone Enya or Avani. Nixie, Camden, Delilah, they all sound more natural - they could be names or, in the case of Nixie, nicknames. I understand that all of these are likely real names, but how likely would a person be to run into six girls with rather unusual names in the same place? Some of them are likely unpopular in this time period as well.

Then your speaker goes on to say that Soleil asked "stupidly", which sounds like it's berating Soleil and setting her up as the ditzy, not-bright one of the group. I'm sorry, but that's a little... blatant. And isn't Avani supposed to be the motherly one, not Delilah? It feels like you've grouped too many personalities together at once and you can't keep track of them all, so you're simplifying them, and you've basically condensed each character down into one personality trait.

At the end of this I'm basically going "what the hell just happened here" and trying to figure out what this was all about. It starts off about a funeral and ends with this highly unrealistic high fantasy setting about immortals and elementals and I just... just... I don't know.

I mean, I like it, but it seems a little... Well, it seems a little cliché and silly when I stop to think about it, but there's so much potential for a great story.
stay off the faerie paths

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:55 am
polinkacreations says...

Hey there:)
I am not going to go over the grammatical errors, because the previous review did a great job at that.
I will point out the plot nitpicks though.
She’d been beautiful, artistic, talented and above all kind hearted. She was innocent and magical and I knew we would all miss her deeply.

This seems a bit too cliche for such a depressing atmosphere. Keep it dark, it's a funeral, after all. You can still include the "missing deeply" part, but not the "magical" bit. But maybe that's just me:)
she was really gone after this but the grieving and the trial were not.

Maybe, the "after this" isn't necessary. - She was really gone, but our grieving and the trial were not.
Just a suggestion:)
She clumsily tripped while she was crossing. She never stood back up.
- I like this, a lot.
she classed - do you mean classified? Or "saw as"? Classed is fine, but sounds a bit strange.
Soleil had in a petrified panic
- I think it's better to add a "It was Soleil/her" in the beginning of this.
chilled out
- I'm not really a fan of more slang-ish language amongst normal, sophisticated words.
had been taking
- had been taken.
Nixie could switch from breaking her heart out devastated to glorified joy, from deep passionate love to just as passionate hate, from burning anger to the most chilled out
- I like the comparisons, get rid of the "chilled" bit though. :/
it was like paradise.
- it seemed as if I was in paradise/ it looked like paradise.
vibrant pink. A Barbie pink.
- a vibrant, "Barbie" pink.
Seriously what the f*** is this place?
- I don't really like the use of asterixes here. Just use the swear word, or replace it with "hell". It just seems strange, and out of place in the story overall.
day become fires immortal
- didn't quite understand that.
How? No offence Delilah but how are you alive?”
- that is quite a rude way to react to the sight of a dead friend come alive? Just a thought:)
It leads to the grabbing tree yes
- quite weird wording over here.
your day
- you're day. Or, at least, - your element is day.
gold glittery stilettos
- didn't Soleil say it was going to hurt walking on coal? Walking in heels will make her feet hurt just as well:D

Phew, that's it from me. I'm sorry if I repeated what other people have said to you.
Now, for the plot: I think it evolved very nicely. It is interesting that all the other girls were never in the land for the people with a gift of the elements, and only got there after Delilah died, but I'm sure there is a reason for that.
Also, I liked how you used the extra two elements for the girls - fits in very nicely with the story-line. And how Soleil is the sun in French, and her power is day:D

I am now off to see your second chapter:D
I hope this helped.
polly xx
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:24 pm
Leahweird says...

The echoic echoing? hall lent it’s acoustics to the bouncing and dripping of tears. The deep pants for breath and the blur of uneven syllabus syllables?, and pitches that were usually the side effects of crying. I didn’t feel tears or grief. I felt anger. a blunderous murdeous? flame in my lungs, making it hard to breathe.

The church was swept with frost as the grave oak doors seized open. Delilah’s brothers hauled her coffin down the aisle. [makes more sence, is less passive] It was draped might need to find another word, paint doesn't drape in soft white paint and a huge Cadbury’s purple bow was laced over the front. She’d been beautiful, artistic, talented, and above all, kind hearted. She was innocent and magical, and I knew we would all miss her deeply. As it passed us in the back row, I felt a warm tingle strike my spine. It was the knowledge that This was it. She was really gone after this. But the grieving and the trial were not.

Delilah had been killed in a hit and run accident. We’d all been there, me, Nixie, Avani, Soleil and Camden. Especially Camden. That September night, she’d ran to try and save Delilah when she spotted the car haring racing? I'm all for interesting vocabulary but haring seems out of place around the bend. The night was not dark. It was painted in a pearly blue. Delilah had skimmed across the road to stroke an exceptionally rare silver fox as it slinked through the golden corn. She clumsily tripped while she was crossing. She never stood back up. Love this Lines

I looked to my left. Soleil’s bubblegum pink hair was half plaited back and tied in a big black chiffon bow. A few reluctant tears streamed down her stony face. It wasn’t that Soleil didn’t care. She simply didn’t like crying and tried to hold back any negative emotions. Sadness was what she classed as one of these emotions. Instead she fidgeted with the tutu bottom of her black dress. In a petrified panic, Soleil had instantly rang an ambulance and the police. She fretted, she was ussually soothing and calm tranquil at all times and could regularly bring pleasure to anyone. She was not her usual chilled out self at that moment in time.

“Hello?” She’d said into the phone, shuddering. “I need an ambulance, quick! And a police car too, or anyone who can help us. My friend has been hit by a car, but it's driven off,” She paused a second from her frantic squeaky words, not drawing a single breath. “Just outside Raytown village on the road between Raytown and Hearth.” She then put the phone down.

The medical teams attempts could not bring Delilah back to us though, she was apparently gone straight away because her head took most of the blow. Delilah's phone had been taking in for examination, to see if it had accidently picked up anything from her death. It drew nothing, so Soleil asked if she could take it.

In the August of that same year Soleil had bought a 1940’s make-up box from a antique shop in Hearth. It was a distressed cream with massive dusky pink roses painted on the front. It had a leather strap and a pale pink interior. Delilah had adored it and always really wanted it. It now sat at the end of Soleil’s peep-toed boots, teaming with photos from Delilah’s phone. It was her parting gift instead of flowers.

Next to Soleil was Nixie. Nixie was Soleil’s pole opposite when it came to emotion. She was a mess. In seconds Nixie could switch from breaking tearing? her heart out devastated to glorified joy, from deep passionate love to just as passionate hate, from burning anger to the most chilled out person it the world. At this moment her eyes were flooded with tears. Her nose was snotty and her whole face was pale and gaunt. She was inconsolable. She had been like this that night too. She had wept and wept at the roadside. I highly doubt that she has stopped since.

To my right was Avani. She’s always been so motherly to all of us, and caring for us all. She had a few black tears dribbling down her face, which was scrunched in pain. She’d been a mother on that night too. She had been on the floor by Delilah’s side trying to resuscitate her. She failed obviously but that was caring for her in a way that only Avani could.

I couldn’t bear to look at Camden’s face. She was sat at the front with Delilah’s family; she’d been inconsolable since it happened and today was not going to be any different. If any thing she was going to be ten times worse. The ceremony passed and I tried to keep myself calm. It was one of the most awful experiences of my life, saying goodbye. Little did I know this wasn’t goodbye.

If it were me, I would have ended the chapter here

About a week later I was dressed in my silken cream bed sheets, fast and tightly asleep. My warm orange walls surrounded me and I was in my safe place. My bed. My little segment of luxury. I could have slept for days but I was rudely interrupted. My soft feathery mattress turned slim and hard. It felt like I had suddenly exchanged my comfortable springy mattress for a park bench.

My eyelashes fluttered open and I found myself immersed in green waxy healthy pick two adjectives, three breaks the flow leaves.

“What!” I bleated in shock. In my true graceful manor I tried to force myself to my feet, but instead I fell flat on my face in a bed of dewy grass. The truth of the matter was thatI didn’t have a clue where I was, but it was like paradise. A road of glitter lead from the centre of the tree, it shone ruby red a rustic colour that blitzed from the ground to the sky. My intuition promised that answers would be found if I followed this road. I followed the flaming glitter until I reached a sandy stage. Stage?

“Oh my god, Enya,” A joyous voice screeched at me. I spun back on myself to see Nixie’s beaming face. As she started skipping up the glitter path it blended from the warm passionate red to a calm relaxed oceanic blue. Too much foreshadowing with oceanic.

“How did you get here?” Nixie giggled and she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck.

“I was laid in bed and my mattress became a branch from the tree I guess,” Informed her still unsure about the circumstances, “How did you get here?”

“Well you know how I have those shelves in the back of my wardrobe? I was reaching into the back of my wardrobe to get a book and I felt a waxy material. I was pulling at it and I got a leaf in my hand. So I climbed into my wardrobe and found myself hanging on the branch of a tree. It was very strange,” Nixie explained her situation to me. After a few moments we heard a large thump that made us both recoil.

“Damn,” screamed Avani. This strikes me as out of character for her. She ran, not noticing the fact that the road has changed to a fresh pure green. “I was asleep in my bed and when I woke up I was inside an alcove.I fell out of the alcovewhen I woke up,” Avani blared as she walked up the glittering path. The tree was greener, healthier in her presence. She appeared a little confused by our presence and so we explained how we had reached this secluded area.

The next to join us was Camden. She sat in the top of the tree on her laptop blissfully unaware of the fact that she was no longer at home. In her typical graceful way she hooked the laptop under her arm and clambered down the tree. When her feet hit the glitter ground it gleamed a vibrant pink. A Barbie pink. She ran over to us her bright pink laptop still under her arm. She was perfectly unphased by the situation. We looked along the line and noticed that we were one person missing. Soleil.

A few moments whizzed past and then a door opened from the bottom of the tree and Soleil tottered out.

“Oh god!” She shrieked and as she pattered along the luminous yellow shimmering road and came to join us. “Seriously what the f*** is this place?’ Soleil barricaded her true emotions from us as she covered her highly visible chest.

“No b***** clue,”I have no idea what the censored word could be. Is all the swearing really neccasary? Either go for it all the way or find some other way to get the point across Nixie answered stressing the same tension in her words as Soleil did.

“I think we’re dreaming,” Soleil established confidently, “This is all in my head! I’m going to wake up shortly and laugh because this is really funny how scared you all look.”

“And we are all having the same dream Soleil?” I felt this plenteousrage thunder inside me.

“Well it’s a better idea then you have,” Soleil’s voice was liquid and soothing in comparison.

“I wish you wouldn’t be so f****** thick all of the time!” I shouted at her, she was so ditzy and care free and it made my blood boil when obviously something was so wrong.

“Girls,” Avani’s stern motherly voice cut my rant off.

“Well she is so ditzy, all the b***** time,” I found myself more and moreannoyed by Soleil’s personality more then I had ever been before. It was uncontrollable and it smoldered deep in my veins.

“Enya, I can’t be bothered with your antics. This is scary enough with out you blowing your top. We’re all still stressed about Delilah and now this fr***** freaky s*** is going down and you blitzing us all doesn’t help,” Camden roared, the torment of Delilah’s death was still ripping her apart inside. While we all shouted and screamed at each other the skies opened.

Her voice was beautiful, this exquisite lyrical tone that could make you feel like waves are dancing over you.

“I am Mary-Anna, the current embodiment of all Earthly powers,” she melodically redundant sang.

“Mary-Anna, where are we?” and for that pulse of a heartbeat Soleil sounded brave as she stepped closer to the obviously powerful woman, “are we dead?” she dizzily whispered at the end of the pulse.

“You did not just ask that!” I angrily raved at her.

“Well it’s an option,” she fluttered girlishly. Just as I parted my mouth to erotically This is obviously the wrong word and I can't begin to guess what you meant to say bellow at her, Nixie stepped between us.

“For f**** sake Enya there is no need to yell like you’ve just escaped the loony bin! What’s Mary-Anna… your highness, going to think,” Nixie washed her soothing waves over me.

“On the contrary Miss Nixie, I was most definitely expecting this from Miss Enya. In fact if Miss Enya was not so short fused and hot headed I would be worried. You see girls you all personify one of the elements of life, Miss Enya personifies Fire,” Mary-Anna enlightened us with her fantastic voice. A whiz of excitement buzzed in me at the idea of being the soul bearer of fire.

“Me? I am the personification of fire? What does that mean?” My voice warmed and became atender. I was the one asking ditzy questions now.

“Being the personification of fire means you will one day become a fire immortal. At the moment you can’t control your element because it’s coming in, in drips however when your element is totally filling you, you’ll be a different person. There for you need to go to D.W.D, the diligent warriors decathe, it’ll help you to stop loosing yourself. When you grow into fires immortal you’ll be able to set any part of your body alight into flames. You’ll throw fire and be able to set anything on fire with your mind. Fire has the additional ability to attack. Obviously all of you have an immortal opposite, Miss Nixie,” Mary-Anna highlighted Nixie from the crowd of us.

“What am I?” Nixie’s eyes glittered. You could see that Nixie was utterly thrilled at being enlightened on what her extra special power was.

“You miss Nixie, are known for jumping from one extreme emotion to the next, from calm to angry, from wild to sleepy," Mary-Anna described Nixie perfectly.

“I’m not that bad,” Nixie snapped dejectedly.

“But you personify water Miss Nixie, that’s the automatic trait of a water immortal. You’re mature, emotionally diverse and a typical water type. As the personification of water you will one day become water’s immortal. You will be able to control any type of water from a cup of water to the vastest of oceans. Your tears are healing but your additional power in defense. Water can shield but just like Miss Enya you need to attend D.W.D to stop yourself from getting lost,” Mary-Anna explained Nixie’s water abilities.

“So what do immortal opposites mean?” Nixie angelically asked what I also wished to know.

“Yeah! What does it mean?” I backed up her case. Mary-Anna looked straight down at the pair of us.

“Well it means that you, Nixie and Enya, bear an extra special bond. You can understand each more but only when you truly need each other. The rest of the time you’ll argue like crazy,” Mary-Anna enlightened us even though our minds were cascading with information.

“Avani!” Mary-Anna proclaimed chirpily. Summarily Avani walked up to Mary-Anna.

“Yes,” Avani’s brisktwang was joyous. She was never scared.

“I knew you’d stride forward with such immense confidence. You and me bloom here at the grabbing tree. Grabbing Tree? You, like I, personify Earth and this tree is the mark of Earth where the powers of Earth manifest. There is a place for each element at every fringe of Kenanpation, from The grabbing tree in the far east to the obsolete grave in the west.”

“What’s Kenanpation?” Avani burst into the convosation.

“That’s where you are silly,” Mary-Anna blissfully blossomed. Avani just gave her the most vacant of looks as her head bobbed up and down continually. “As the personification of Earth you can control the earth however you wish from the planets to the ground beneath your feet. You can even make animals bow to your every whim. And your extra power is to heal anyone and anything. It’s rather a magical feeling as this is one element that I can quite happily comment on,” Mary-Anna presented all of the ways in which Avani was gifted.

Avani was euphoric, in every step, every inch of her innocent being. Her warm, comforting arms lapped us all into her chest, in a loving embrace. It only made sense that her power was to heal, for her hands twinge in an enchanted manor. Mary-Anna’s shifty eyes then placed themselves upon Camden.

“Miss Camden,” Mary-Anna’s velvet voice rolled Camden’s name as it demanded her presence.

“Yes,” Camden quivered.

“Oh, how frail are you,” grinned Mary-Anna; I could have scripted her next words, “Just as I expected. Your delicate whisper, your shy personality, you personify air. And when the day arises that you become air’s immortal you’ll be able to fly, high above the clouds, you’ll be able to summon the wind and use it however you wish. Also air’s extra power is to flee. Air can always find safety. You miss Camden and Miss Avani are immortal opposites,” Mary-Anna bestowed the information upon Camden. Avani and Camden turned to each other and exchanged a blissful high five. Then all eyes landed on Soleil.

“Your majesty Mary-Anna.” She respectfully began, “What am I? There are only 4 elements. Fire, water, Earth and air and there are five of us. I don’t understand.” It was a rare situation when I found myself actually understanding Soleil, but this was admittedly one of them times.

“Fire, Water, Earth and Air are the Greek elements. I did not mention Greek elements; I said the elements of life. That is where your element comes to play. It’s one of the most intriguing elements to me for there has never been bearer of this temperamental power. You personify day. As day you can manipulate any person or anything in the hours of sunlight. But at night you lose all your power apart from the extra power of day, which is to foresee. You will be able to act at the night but you shall need to be day’s immortal for that to happen, plus you’d have to work hard,” Soleil, who was a little shaken by these revelations, revolved to face the rest of our group. Her calculating mind looked over us, counting us all.

“Okay, but also, I don’t have an immortal opposite,” Soleil rasped, breathless.

“About that,” Mary-Anna bore perceptive grin. Her iced fingers blitzed purple and musky haze in the same violet tone wisped before us. Soleil shivered back into place, obviously scared by the ominous mist.

Mary-Anna held her stance.

She stepped from the mist. A creak on wood. The forest fell silent. Our bodies chilled. Hearts once stop, pulsed back into motion. The words were not found.

“Oh my god!” Soleil’s voice tremor, her mind boggled. It was surprisingly or unsurprisingly that it was Camden who rushed to her side first, on a whiz of air.

“Oh my god! I can’t actually believe it! Is this real Mary-Anna! It b***** better be! Even if it’s not I don’t care!” Her often-controlled voice was squeaking all over the place.

“I take it that you are all acquainted with Delilah Nyx,” Mary-Anna formally presented her and the rest of our group pounced on her.

“How? No offence Delilah but how are you alive?” Soleil’s vibrant voice was explicit exuberant? as she asked the question we all secretly wished to know.

“One question at a time girls,” Mary-Anna cut our poised lips, “Camden this is all real. If you’re waiting to wake up, you’ll be waiting an awful long time. Well, Soleil, your all in the land of the gifted and dead or alive the gifted of the elements come here. This is why Delilah is here. Here she can live.”

“Here I can live immortal, forever and ever,” Delilah was spunky in a way that had been sucked from her the last time, which we had seen her.

“Delilah is Soleil’s immortal opposite. Delilah personifies night, which alike Soleil’s power is extremely temperamental. But Delilah can only be powerful in the hours of darkness,” Mary-Anna concluded her explanation. Soleil and Delilah swapped anxious grins as finally each of us was presented with our otherworldly gifts.

“I leave you now girls, You’ll find your way to D.W.D and if I help, well you wouldn’t be learning would you,” Mary-Anna bayed us farewell and whisked her long twiggy arm over herself. As her arm veiled a part of her body sparks of electrifying green appeared making that part of her become invisible. After a few moments she was gone and again we were alone in the leafy green forest.

“Anyone got a plan?” I instructed, inturrupted? taking charge of this fumbling group. Their adolescent faces drew blank. Apart from Soleil’s, it was highly concentrated, for a mirror was stooped at her nose end and she was contently powdering it. Though it was pleasure to finally see our wholesome group together once more, it had slipped my mind how completely docile they could be.

Delilah scrunched her plush brown hair out of her dazed eyes and examined our new landscape.

“There are seven paths,” Delilah began to breech, preach? “One of blue and one of red. One of pink and one of green. One purple, one yellow and a seventh of coal. Now the glitter path shines green it’s neutral state. It’s glittering emerald right now. It leads to the grabbing tree yes. And it changed to a different colour for each of us yes?”

“Red,” I beamed.

“Blue,” Nixie bleated.

“Green,” Avani yelled, child-like.

“Pink,” Camden was rather thrilled at that point.

Yellow,” Soleil giggled.

“And Purple,” Delilah reminded us as she stepped on to the glitter track again, “So there for we should really go down the neutral road, which is the coal road.” We all nodded in agreement of Delilah’s decisions.

“Wait!” Soleil dramatically stopped us, “we’re still in our bed clothes. We can’t walk on coal a road bare foot. It would be painful!” I mocked her savagely.

“Well your day Soleil. You can control anything around you,” Delilah caringly beamed, “Ask the tree.”

“Does it have to rhyme?” Soleil asked stupidly.

“No,” Delilah disapprovingly established.

“Well that sounds more like a spell so I’ll go with that,” Soleil sprung merrily. Elegantly she danced up to the grabbing tree and rasped her spell.

“Dear grabbing tree, I need some shoes,

First a pair of boots in hazy blues,

Second flats, ruby red,

Then the same again, but pink instead,

Then some trainers, emerald green,

Followed by loafers in aubergine,

Finally tree, a pair for me,

Some heels… that are gold, and glittery!”

The lower leaves of the tree transformed in a green and gold mist and became into six pair of shoes, just as Soleil wished. First a pair of ice blue doc martins, obviously for Nixie. Then two pairs of ballet pumps one red and one pink, for Camden and me. Each pair was decorated with innocent little roses. Then there were a pair of bright green basketball boots for Avani, then a dainty pair of dark purple loafers for conventional Delilah. Finally on the lowest branch were a stunning pair of gold glittery stilettos for Soleil herself. We each hauled a pair of shoes upon our feet as Soleil had wished and began down the path of coal hoping it would lead us to the long awaited D.W.D.

Nitpicky stuff done with, my major criticism is Mary-ann. I think her appearance severly diminishes the conflict, which is the opposite of what you want to be doing. I think it would be way more interesting for the characters to discover what powers they have and what they can do on the way to their destination (there could be a more subtle way of telling them where they need to go.) This has the added benefit of drama for Soliel, trying to figure out what element she is suposed to be. I think Delilah's revival should be a major plot point introduced late, at which point she could explain things furthur.

Also, with as many main characters as you have, you need to be sure that each girl is an individual and stays true to her personality.

All that said, I reallyenjoyed reading this. I think you have the begginings of a really interesting story. I loved the description of the old make-up kit being left instead of flowers. That was very real.

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter