z

Young Writers Society

Hook. Chapter 2.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 am
Dragongirl says...

Okay folks, heres the second chapter to Hook. I know it is rough. I would love tips and feed back. Thanks.

Chapter 2. What's Your Lucky Number?

The guard by the door yawned and scratched his balding head. His shift was a half hour from being over. Visions of a beer, his overstuffed reclining chair, and the TV remote played though his mind. Now however, it looked as though those things might have to wait. He frowned and scratched his scalp harder, flakes of dandruff settling like snow on his shoulders. He studied the message on his communicator, it read: Escape attempted made by new arrival. Position unknown. No one leaves area unless given clearance. Convict’s description: height: 5’7. Hair color: Black. Eye color: Blue. Age: 14.

No one leaves unless given clearance! The guard grunted. He noticed there wasn’t one word about overtime pay mentioned after the ‘no one leaves’ part. It was probably just a scam to get fellas’ like him to stay longer without having to pay them. Never the less the guard was more alert now, and he scanned the hall. Satisfied, he relaxed and began to gnaw on a hangnail.

The lights went out.

The guard fumbled in the darkness for his flashlight. Clicking it on, the guard checked the corridor. Seeing it empty, he let out a breath of relief. It was probably a blown breaker, he thought, heading to the closet to check.

“ I don’t have time for this,” he grumbled. If people would listen to him and turn off the lights when they left a room, this sort of thing wouldn’t happen.

Opening the closet door, the guard stepped inside and shone his light around the small room.

That’s odd. The guard frowned, seeing the breaker box open. He took a step towards it and flicked the blown breaker back into place. Wasn’t that supposed to be- The guard’s thought was cut short by something slamming into the back of his head, knocking him into black unconsciousness.

Ares lowered the fire extinguisher once the guard slumped to the floor. Crouching next to the man, he briefly checked the guard’s pulse. It beat strongly and the man would wake up with no worse than a headache. Rifling through the guard’s pockets with practiced skill, Ares paused for a moment. Communicater in hand, he skimmed quickly over the message on the screen. Finishing it, he chuckled.

“No one leaves unless given clearence, ey?” Ares directed the question to the unconscious guard, as he continued to search him. “You know I hate to buck the system,” he went on “but somehow.” He grunted as he rolled the man over. “I don’t think going back to ask Horace if I can leave, is such a great idea.”

Tugging a wallet from the guard’s backpocket Ares flipped it open and found what he was looking for. The guard’s ID card. Slipping it from the wallet, he stood and picked up the fire extinguisher again.

“Sorry to have to leave so soon,” he said, bending over to tuck the wallet back where it belonged, and pat the man on the shoulder. “ but you know how it goes.”

Sticking his head out of the closet, he looked both ways. The hall was clear. He stepped into the corridor, and softly shut the closet door behind him. No one needed to find the guard any sooner than they had too. Ares moved swiftly towards the entrance, walking close to the wall, simply because the middle of the hall felt too exposed.

Ares reached the entrance. It had only taken him a few seconds to get there, but it felt like longer. Glancing tensely over his shoulder, he took the ID card and swipped it through the scanner. A small red light flicked as the scanner processed the information. Come on. Ares silently willed it to hurry up, growing more jumpy by the moment. Were those footsteps? He wiped his moist palms on his jeans. Waiting for what seemed like a eternity for the light to turn from red, he panicked. Some one was coming! Ripping the pin from the extinguisher, he prepared to-.The light turned green.

Yanking the doors open, Ares stumbled outside. Clutching the fire extinguisher, he leaned against the doors, eyes closed and breathing deeply.

Something tapped him. Ares opened his eyes and looked down at the billy club resting on his chest. A hand with long pale fingers wrapped round the base of the club, connected to an even longer skinny arm that lend to a pair of thin shoulders supporting the homelist head he had ever seen. He froze. A guard stood over him. The guard’s nose looked as though it had been broken, several times and his beady eyes glittered brightly. Tilting his head, he smiled sharkily. His lips pulling back, to reveal brown gums and broken, rotten teeth.

Instinct took over.

Ares let loose with the fire extinguisher, a jet of foam smacking the guard straight in the eyes. The billy club was dropped as the guard swiped madly at his eyes, yowling loudly in pain. Ares glanced, worried, from side to side. The guard wasn’t a threat now, but he was making too much noise. He had to be shut up. Feeling a twinge of regret, Ares tightened his grip on the extinguisher and swung it like a baseball bat into the side of the man’s head.

The howling stopped.

The guard lay still, and for a horrible moment Ares thought he was dead. The man’s chest rose and fell. Ares felt a surge of relief that quickly disappeared at the sound of footsteps and shouts from the other side of the doors.

He swore. He had to slow them down. Dropping the fire extinguisher, he spun back to the doors. Jerking the hand cuffs from his pocket, he clipped a cuff on either door handle. It wouldn’t hold long, but it was all he had time for.

Now all he had to do was get past the fence. He was next to it in a flash. The chain link barrier loomed menacingly over him. Corkscrewed barb wire lining the top. Ares considered the fence. He knew he could climb it, but climbing always took time, one thing that was in short supply at the moment.

He moved in to the gate. Scanning the guard’s ID like before, Ares waited for the light to blink green. Instead a small sreen directly above the scanner lit up. 'Code please' flashed across it before being replaced by four blank spots and a touch screen number pad. Ares banged his fist against the chain link fence causing it to shiver noisily. A code. He’d made it this far only to have his way barred by four digits. Well, he’d be hanged if he let that stop him now. Freedom was too close.

Ares turned back to the screen with fresh eyes. Maybe he could hack it…No that wouldn’t work. Ares stared at the small screen as if somehow he could will the right numbers to appear. It’s surface was smudged with fingerprints. He was about to wipe them off with the cuff of his sleeve when it dawned on him. The fingerprints. While they covered the whole surface in four spots they were the heaviest. Smudges over the 9,7,3, and 1 told him which were the right digits, but in what order?

The handcuffs rattled as some one tried to open the doors. He darted a quick look towards the noise, and then paused, the sign over the doors catching his attention. ‘St. John’s Home for Lost Boys’ then below it, ‘Since 1937’. Ares studied it, puzzled and unable to look away, even as the moments ticked by. ‘Since 1937’, why did that ring such a- Ares bawked and then laughed out loud as it hit him. Spinning back to the screen, he rapidly typed in the four numbers. The computer hummed, checking his answer. Ares bit his lip. Please be right, please be right.

Thuds came from the other side of the doors.

The small screen whirled.

Then he heard the horrible sound of the chains between cuffs breaking.

Hey, hope you liked this chapter.
Here is a link to chapter 3. viewtopic.php?f=359&t=88796
Last edited by Dragongirl on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:39 am
Leahweird says...

I am really enjoting the story so far. I really love how cocky Ares is. But then he also has those periodic moments of doubt, like when he thought he might have actually killed some one. The contrast is really dramatic. Love it!

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:17 am
View Likes
tgirly says...

I can't wait for the next chapter, you definitely know how to keep someone interested. My only critique is that it might be a tad bit repetitive, with him knocking the one guard out with the fire extinguisher, checking to make sure he was alive, knocking the other guard out with the fire extinguisher, and then checking to make sure he was alive. But only slightly repetitive.
But, I do like that he checks to make sure the guard is still alive, and I also like how the message that the guard recieves describes him, you did a really good job of showing instead of telling.
Can't wait to read the next chapter, hope my review helped! :) And thanks again for your review.
-tgirly
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 pm
paraperson says...

I love Ares! He's a great character and a very real character, which, of course, is always important. One thing I'd suggest (now I might sound a little hypocritical here, because I have lots of trouble with it too) is slow down the pace just a tad. Fast moving stories are always great, but I think you could slow down just a bit. Maybe that's just my personal preference, but other than that I haven't got any issues with this and I am craving the next chapter! Keep it up!
Without art, life is pointless.

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:53 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Hey again Dragongirl! I'm back for more.

So I'm still enjoying this story. Ares is a great character and I loved how you gave us a brief description of him when the guard checked his communicator. It was a nice way of letting the reader get an image in their head without having to write an info-dump paragraph. Ares' humour is great too. It's fun to read and it gives his character more depth. So does the fact that both times, you had him check on the guard. It shows that he has a sensitive side too, which is nice to see for a character of 14 years old.

I still noticed that you're having trouble with commas. I can't remember if I gave you this link before, but I definitely think you should check it out - topic19162.html

for this.” he grumbled

The full stop should be a comma.

That’s odd.

To make it clearer to the reader that this is the guard's thought, I think you should add it in. E.g -

'That's odd, he thought.'

he went on “but somehow” he grunted as he rolled the man over.

I know this is a continued run of speech, but as you have an action, 'he grunted', I think you should add in a full stop after 'somehow"'

No one need to find the guard any sooner than they had too.

'need' should be 'needed' and 'too' should be 'to'

Ares moved swiftly towards the entrance, walking close to the wall, simply because the middle of the hall felt too exposed.

I liked this as it showed that Ares thinks about his actions. He's not totally hot-headed and reckless. He's a little cautious.

A small red light flicked

'flickered' ?

Come on

I think his thoughts should be in italics.

Ares silently will it to

'will' should be 'willed'

eyes closed and breathed deeply.

I think changing 'breathed' to 'breathing' will help the sentence to flow better.

supporting the homelist head

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'homelist'

The guard’s nose look

'looked'

His lips pulling back, to revealing brown gums and broken, rotten teeth

You need to either change 'revealing' to 'reveal' or take out 'to'. You're also missing a full stop at the end of the sentence.

a jet of foam smacked the guard

'smacked' should be 'smacking'

Feeling a ting of regret

'tingling' ?

The chain link barrier loomed menacingly over him.

I think it would sound better as -

'The chain link barrier loomed over him menacingly.'

scanner lite up

'lit'

Code Please

Maybe have this in quotes so that the reader knows this is what's being seen, and so it becomes seperate from the sentence. 'Code please'

puzzled unable to look away

'puzzled and unable to look away'

Please be right, please be right.

Thoughts in italics.

wirled.

'whirled'

The mistakes that I've pointed out can probably be solved by proof-reading before posting and the suggestions I've added are just things that I think will help move the piece along.

I do think one of the other reviewers had a point when they mentioned the pace. I don't think it's that bad, but I think you could stand to add things in which will help to slow things down a bit.

Now all he had to do was get past the fence. He was next to it in a flash.

These two sentences for example, could be split up by a paragraph dedicated to describing how he's feeling. You don't have to write loads. Maybe just a small sentence on how he's feeling nervous or excited. Is he thinking of freedom or is he too focused on the guards behind him?

Also, here -

Yanking the doors open Ares stumbled through them. Clutching the fire extinguisher, he leaned against the doors, eyes closed and breathed deeply.

I didn't realise that he was outdoors until you mentioned the fence. Describe what it feels like for him to be outside. Is the sun bright on his eyes? Warm on his skin? Is it raining or cold? Again, you don't have to describe loads, but I think a little description will help the reader notice that he's outside.

Great job on the plot. I'm excited to read on and find out if he escapes!

I hope this helps!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara