z

Young Writers Society

Bioshock: Tenenbaum's Assistant (Chapter 4)

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 am
Howler says...

Bioshock 2 is getting in its reviews, and they're good. Very glad to see I didn't end up prepurchasing a crappy game.
Also, to Light Devil, I see your point that I need to expand my vocabularity. I've written poetry, I've written short stories, but it's all in basic words. I plan on trying to use some more intelligent words through the rest of this piece.
So, with that, I present, Chapter 4.

Chapter 4

As I walked around aimlessly through Arcadia, I couldn't help but realize how sad Rapture was. All of the splicers and the few citizens, like the artists, stuck here. They're at a risk of dying at any moment and they don't care. They just want to keep going for the adam.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy with my sonic boom, and it's defensive and offensive force, but I couldn't help but wonder; will I become one of those hellion splicers?

As I walked along, I came across a type of mosoleum. A large, stone walk-in grave was in the center of the small, glass floored room. I had hit a dead end. I turned around and tried to figure out where to go next. I heard a sound coming from one of the walls. I couldn't make it out, so I got up closer to the wall. Still nothing. I put my head up, and could sort of make out some woman yelling, "Help".

I had to break through the wall. There was clearly something behind it. I decided the best bet to get through was to sonic boom, but if the person behind the wall wasn't a spicer, I'd never be able to forget it. I aimed the shotgun above my head level at the wall. I shot, and there was a hole to a tunnel.

"Is someone there?", I loudly asked through the wall.

"Oh, thank god", said a woman on the other side. She had some accent. German or Russian, I think. I've never been too good with identifying voices.

"If you can step far to the left or right of the wall, or if you can get some cover, I think I could probably blast you outta there", I told her. The sonic boom might be able to bypass cover, considering the tree that I flung the splicer at not too long ago. But, it still was the safest suggestion. I waited a few moments.

"Alright, go ahead!", she said, much quieter. She was further away, no question. I lowered the shotgun and clenched a fist. I snapped it open at the wall, and the wall was blown apart, with large shards flying forward.

Inside of the blown apart wall was a tunnel. Very dark and damp, with a lot of boxes filled with fish everywhere. There was also some empty eve syringes spread around the floor. I walked in cautiously, feeling a combination of sudden humidity and an aroma of fish.

I saw the woman climb up from behind one of the boxes. She wore a large, purple, sleeved coat that looked like it was over a small dress. She was somewhat well groomed, and her hair was jet black and somewhat curly.

"Thank you, very much", she said, holding her hand out for a handshake.

"So who're you, and why were you behind the wall?", I asked her. She didn't seem like trouble, considering she giggled a little at that question.

"My name's Bridget Tenenbaum, and I suppose I should be asking you the same question", she said.

"Just looking for a way out", I said.

"Well, how did you get in?"

I told her what Sander told me; that I sunk down in a steel fish crate and they somehow fished me out. Thinking now, it was a strange story with a very lucky ending, yet Bridget seemed to believe me.

"What about you?", I asked her. She thought about that question for a minute, looking like she almost started crying.

"Do you really want to know?", Bridget asked. She had something to hide, but what?

Just as I had that thought, I heard an alarm coming from the Arcadia side of the tunnel. It sounded like it was moving.

"I'll explain. Soon. For now, we've got to get out of here", Bridget said. She started sprinting through the tunnel. She didn't want to face whatever was coming. I followed right behind her. Eventually, we ended up at a small that we had to crawl through, which was surrounded mostly by ice. She relaxed as she got through, and she started walking to something up ahead.

I looked around the room. The main floor was like an underground dock, with wooden floors inside the same sort of walls as the tunnel earlier was. In the center, straight forward from the tunnel, was a giant, rusted, metal ball with a glass door. Near the door to the ball was a control pannel with levers and a few buttons. Bridget appeared to be fiddling with them.

"What in the world is this thing?", I asked her.

"It's called a bathosphere. It was the main way people got from the surface to Rapture, and even around to different buildings".

"Could we take this up-"

"No. Sorry, but they cut off most of the bathospheres' ability to go up a while back. There's still a few, I'm sure, but they're pretty well hidden. Come along, get in"

The glass door to the bathosphere opened. I walked on in and sat on one of the two bench-seats. The inside had a lever on the wall opposite of the door, and appeared the same as the rusted metal on the outside. Bridget walked in and pulled the lever. The bathosphere started sinking, and eventually, we were in a dark tunnel going downwards.

Before the darkness grew to a point that I couldn't see, I looked at Bridget. She still didn't want to talk for some reason. I didn't want to pressure her into telling me something she didn't want to. I felt generally worried about what I could be getting into.

Then again, it's pretty similair to the feeling I got a while back when I first saw the city outside the window by Eve's Garden; fear that I was going to be dead soon. And in the end, was dying near Bridget (or worst case scenario, because of Bridget) really any different than getting stomped on by one of those Big Daddies, or stabbed by a splicer? Either way, I'd be dead.

At least by following Bridget, I don't fell like I'm just waiting to die.
"I'm fearless in my heart
They will always see that in my eyes
I am the passion, I am the warfare
I will never stop
Always constant,
Accurate,
Intense"
"The Audience is Listening", by Steve Vai

You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up.
— Metatron