z

Young Writers Society

It Wasn't Supposed to End This Way (Chapter Three)

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 am
Confused.pirate says...

“Please make sure you have a five page written paper about the effects of improper wand use when attempting to transfigure live objects. By Friday,” Professor McGonagall quickly explained as everyone grumbled and started to pack up their bags.

Just as I was ready to leave, the professor decided to call me over to her desk.

“Trista,” she began. “How’s everything working out for you here at Hogwarts? I know it was a very different experience than being taught at home, and I was wondering if you were adjusting to the change for the past week.”

“Thanks professor, I think I’m doing just fine,” I replied and quickly turned my head to see if anyone else was in the room. I had heard Harry had Transfigurations right after me, so I was hoping I could catch a glimpse to see whom he was hanging around with.

McGonagall stood up and continued, “Well, at least you have the privilege of attending your first year of Hogwarts during the Triwizard Tournament!”

I freeze and turn back around, “What are you talking about?”

McGonagall stared at me like I had just used Dumbledore’s name in vain, “The Triwizard Tournament? Goodness, child, you haven’t noticed the two extra schools with the different uniforms here at Hogwarts? Both Beauxbatons and Durmstrang are participating with us this year.”

A spark of realization immediately came to my mind. I remembered the Dark Lord’s plan about how he was going to finally kill Harry Potter…the maze…the cemetery…

“Miss Silenda?” Professor McGonagall examined me closely.

“Oh, sorry,” I returned back to the discussion we were previously having. “That makes sense, I remember now,” I faked and started to turn away, desperate to leave.

“You must have been with me when Dumbledore introduced everyone. The Goblet of Fire will be choosing the contestants this afternoon. Should be interesting,” she continued. This woman did NOT want me to leave!

“Ah, yes, should be interesting. Well, I apologize Professor but I must be heading out…” I slowly crept down the aisle to the back of the classroom and slipped out as soon as she officially excused me. Scurrying through the hall to try and make it to Herbology on time, I completely ran into another student while turning a corner.

“Dangit!!” I exclaimed out of frustration. “I’m so sorry! I’m incredibly clumsy…”

“Er…it’s fine…I should have been watching where I was going.”

I stood up to face my helpless victim. As soon as I actually saw his face, I had to hold back a gasp.

It was Harry Potter.

I tried to think of words to say to try and apologize some more, but before anything else could happen a huge crowd started to form while running to the Great Hall. Harry was gone within seconds. Great…way to blow the perfect opportunity. Then again...might be good to for him to not really know who I am. Ugh, such a complicated situation to be in. I hate this.

I attempted to continue on to my next class, but I was continuously pushed and shoved by anxious students in every direction. Finally I decided to give up and follow the crowd, scurrying to the Great Hall. Might as well find out what the big deal is.

Once I reached the Great Hall I noticed everyone was surrounding a giant glowing goblet in the center of the circle. Nothing made sense, and I tried to remember what Professor McGonagall said to me about the Triwizard Tournament, but then I remembered I wasn’t really paying attention. What a shame.

“Exciting, isn’t it?” a calm voice commented next to me. I turned to my left and noticed Cedric had made his way next to me. I tried to look around for his giant posse that’s always around him, but the hall was too crowded to display any definitive groups.

I turned back to Cedric and questioned, “What’s exciting?”
He turned to me with a dumbfounded expression on his face. How cute. Stop it Trista.

What’s exciting? You’re joking, right?” he queried in disbelief.

“No, I’m not. Does it have to does it have to do with the tournament thing going on?” I felt so dumb. That’s what I get for being home schooled forever. Sheer ignorance.

Cedric laughed, “Yes, that ‘thing.’ That’s the Goblet of Fire. “ He motioned to the glowing cup in the center of the room. “For the past week all eligible students have been placing their name in the cup, all hoping they will be chosen as one of the three contestants in the Triwizard Tournament. One student from each of the three schools will take part in an extremely dangerous, challenging, and thrilling competition.”

“Sounds thrilling, challenging, and dangerous,” I teased, again remembering the Dark Lord’s plan, wondering if he was able to go through with it, “Did you put your name in the goblet?”

“Oh I don’t know, maybe,” he smiled jokingly and nudged my shoulder playfully. Electricity surged from his touch to the rest of my body, and I nearly fell over due to the weakness in my knees. You’re being such a girl, stop it Trista.

I secretly shook myself back to reality and turned to the goblet, where Dumbledore had taken his place in the center.

“Finally!” Dumbledore’s voice boomed throughout the busy hall. The students froze silent, rapt with attention. “The time has come to see who the goblet has chosen!”

The room cheered with excitement but was quickly brought to a hush with one quick gesture of Dumbledore’s arms.

“I know I know, exciting! Any moment now a name should appear from the goblet, announcing the first official contestant of the Triwizard Tournament!”

“I guess I could’ve had you wait for Dumbledore to explain for you instead,” Cedric chuckled, whispering near me.

Just then the goblet started to glow even brighter, and a crackling noise erupted as a small piece of parchment was shot from the cup. Dumbledore swiftly grabbed the sheet and announced, “From Beauxbaton’s Academy of Magic, Miss Fleur Delacour!”

Cheers exploded once again as Fleur gracefully went forward for a congratulatory handshake from Dumbledore and stood next to her headmistress.

“Five galleons says the next contestant called is from Hogwarts,” I bet playfully with Cedric.

He looked at me surprised and replied, “You have deal.”

As soon as we were done shaking hands the goblet crackled once more and Dumbledore announced, “From Durmstrang, Mr. Viktor Krum!”

“Damn,” I looked at Cedric guiltily and he gave me a knowing look. “Looks like I owe you five galleons.”

As he was laughing and about to respond, Dumbledore announced, “And from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Mr. Cedric Diggory!”

The entire hall erupted with applause and cheers and I looked at him, surprised, “You DID enter your name!”

“Hey,” he shrugged. “I did say ‘maybe.’” He winked as he started being pushed to the front of the crowd in congratulations. He shook Dumbledore’s hand and returned to the front of the crowd next to me.

“Well it looks like we have our three contestants!” Dumbledore started, but I quickly became uneasy.

“Not quite…” I muttered under my breath, hoping no one could hear.

Cedric turned to me confused, “What?”

Before I could cover my comment, the goblet began to unexpectedly glow and sputter as a final name flew out to Dumbledore. Dumbledore carefully snatched the parchment out of the air and read the name slowly. Alarmed, he looked up and said, “Harry Potter.”

Murmurs spread around the hall as Harry slowly stepped to the front of the crowd with a perplexed expression on his face. I looked at the floor, trying to avoid Cedric’s baffled appearance.

Unfortunately he was able to catch my eye and ask, “How did you know?”
Last edited by Confused.pirate on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The differences in life are what create the challenges which open the door to discovery."

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:09 pm
SporkPunk says...

Hey there again! Time for another review. :)

Technical Thingies

Just as I was ready to leave, the professor decided to call me over to her desk.

The first part is modifying the rest; you're going to want a comma.

“Thanks, professor ... Goodness, child,

Comma needed here too, since "professor" is modifying "thanks." Same with "child."

One student from each of the three schools will take part in an extremely dangerous, challenging, and thrilling competition.

...He really said that? That seems kind of...wooden, coming from a student. I'm probably just being nitpicky, but this struck me as rather unrealistic (for a student to say.)

come, to see

This comma is unnecessary.

Cedric chuckled, whispering near me

You need a comma here, though.

Story stuff
I really like how this is a different perspective on the fourth book. And I can't help but kind of like your character, even though she's not the most original character I've ever encountered. :P Good job!

Keep Writing!
Sporks
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat May 14, 2011 5:46 pm
LittlePrincess says...

Chapter three, earlier than expected!

First of all, did your MC come in the middle of the year? Why didn't she get introduced to the tournament like everyone else?
A spark of realization immediately came to my mind. I remembered the Dark Lord’s plan about how he was going to finally kill Harry Potter…the maze…the cemetery…
This isn't really plausible, in my opinion. If Voldemort has the plan already in place then Trista would most definitely know about the tournament and have it in the back of her mind the entire time. It could suddenly all make sense to her now, what she had heard Voldemort talking about, but she wouldn't just remember it.
I stood up to face my helpless victim. As soon as I actually saw his face, I had to hold back a gasp.

It was Harry Potter
I don't know why exactly but I really like that.

Since you do seem to follow up with knowing the whole plan all along, let on to that a little more.

Keep up the good work!
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:47 pm
Confused.pirate says...

Thanks guys! Again, finally made the changes :)
"The differences in life are what create the challenges which open the door to discovery."

we were just chatting about oblivious bananas
— Inferno