z

Young Writers Society

The Second Quell [ 1 ]

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:00 pm
Teardrop says...

Spoiler! :
Hi! This is a Hunger Games fan fiction, this is based on Haymitch Albernathy's Hunger Games victory in the Second Quarter Quell. It's not really good, reviews are appreciated! Thanks!
I don't like fan fiction, but I decided I'd try! Also, it's really, really short. : D I'm working on making it longer!

The air bit at my face. I tugged on my jacket. I could barely see, the violent wind whipping my curly brown locks into my face; covering my gray eyes that matched most of the people in The Seam.

Arranged in order by age; District Twelve stood in the freezing wind, frail and anxious to hear who would participate in The Hunger Games.

President Snow stood up on the stage behind his podium, lecturing us with his speech. Acasionally , he glanced at the papers on the podium.

After he was finished, a spunky, perky women stepped up to the stage. She flashed a smile, showing off her pearly white teeth.

" Well, ladies first! " she called into her headset. She glanced at the slip with the name of the girl that would participate in the 50th Hunger Games. The Hunger Games was a jarring, violent, fight to the death broadcasted on every televison in the ruined continent of Panem.

She waited for minutes, creating suspense within the stressed crowd of worried people and families from District Twelve.

" Maysilee Donner, " the women finally announced. I searched the crowd for Maysilee. My eyes set on a dark haired women who threw her arms around a young blonde lady. The blonde must have been Maysilee. She bravely took her place on stage.

" And for the male tribute..." The women pulled another slip out of the pool of names. She dragged her announcment out for what seemed like forever but was only a few minutes.

Finally, she opened her mouth and looked at the crowd. " Haymitch Albernathy!"

My heart dropped and my mother and a few others burst into tears, obviosly not trying to hide their grief. It was one of those moments when time lapses, everything is in slow motion it seems but all happened so fast. I took a deep breath and tromped onto the stage.

President Snow's visious snake-like eyes followed me, examining me from head to toe. He smirked as I was led off the stage to almost certain death.
Last edited by Teardrop on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:31 pm
emilyjh21 says...

Oooo, nice! I like the Hunger Games a lot and this is really good! If I'm not mistaken, Haymitch is the mentor for Katniss and Peeta right? I've never really heard of fan fiction before, but this seemed really good. You followed all the story line points and really didn't change anything. All in all, this was rather excellent! Keep up the good work!
Happiness is a JOURNEY not a place. :D

75 Reviews

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 am
Teardrop says...

Thanks, and yeah Haymitch is their mentor.
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14 am
Sunshine says...

Hey cool idea! I liked the context you put this in. I think you started off a bit abrupt. This is ok if you go back later in the story but maybe you should start from the point Haymitch wakes up? Also this seems a bit short. Other than that good work!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

75 Reviews

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 am
Teardrop says...

Thanks, and yeah I know it's short. I'm working on extending it!

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:58 am
Warrior Princess says...

Why hello there my dear; I am Warrior Princess the Mockingjay, and I will be reviewing this lovely tidbit of fanfiction today! :D

To begin with, I love the idea you have going here: to tell Haymitch's story. He's one of the most complicated and interesting characters in the Hunger Games trilogy, and I always kind of wondered what things were like for him during his time in the Games. I hope you continue with this story. Now, on to the nitpicks! :D (The parts in bold print are my corrections and/or comments.

The air bit at my face. I tugged on my jacket. I could barely see, the violent wind whipping my curly brown locks into my face; covering my gray eyes that matched most there should probably be an "of" between these two words the people in The Seam. Nice imagery.

Arranged in order by age, District Twelve stood in the freezing wind, frail and anxious to hear who would participate in The Hunger Games.

President Snow stood up on the stage behind his podium, reading his speech. Occasionally , he glanced at the papers on the podium. Saying he's reading it implies that he is looking at the papers the whole time, rather than glancing at them occasionally.

After he was finished, a spunky, perky women stepped up to the stage. She flashed a smile, showing off her pearly white teeth.

" Well, ladies first! " she called into her headset. She glanced at the slip with the name of the girl that would participate in the 50th Hunger Games. The Hunger Games was a jarring, violent, fight to the death broadcasted on every televison in the ruined continent of Panem. I like this sentence. :)

She waited for minutes, creating suspense within the stressed crowd of worried people and families from District Twelve.

"Maysilee Donner," the women finally announced. I searched the crowd for Maysilee. My eyes set on a dark haired woman who threw her arms around a young blonde woman. I think you should say "girl" instead of "young woman," since you've already used the word "woman" once in the sentence.The blonde must have been Maysilee. Maysilee bravely took her place on tears. Since you just said her name, "she" would flow better than "Maysilee" here.

" And for the male tribute..." The women pulled another slip out of the pool of names. She dragged her announcement out for what seemed like forever but was only a few seconds. Why would she wait several minutes before announcing the first tribute, but only a few seconds the second time?

Finally, she opened her mouth and looked at the crowd. " Haymitch Abernathy!"

My heart dropped and my mother and a few others burst into tears, obviously not trying to hide their grief. It was one of those time lapse moments*, everything is in slow motion, it seems, but all happened so fast. I took a deep breath and tromped onto the stage. *It might be better if you worded it "one of those moments when time lapses."

President Snow's viscious snake-like eyes followed me, examining me from head to toe. He smirked as I was led off the stage to almost certain death.

Well, after all that, you probably think I hated it, when actually the opposite is true. I liked it quite a lot, and I can't wait to read more! *follows*
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

75 Reviews

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:02 pm
Teardrop says...

Awesome, thanks!

75 Reviews

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Teardrop says...

I'm going to post the next chapter next week or sometime in November... probobly. I have it written it just needs edited.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:56 am
CaptianRandom says...

Hey Teardrop, CaptianRandom here.

I liked this! You were very descriptive, explaining the pain they were going through, what was going through there mind. I have read the hunger games and this was very well done! Keep up the good work! One thing though, why was President snow up on the podium instead of the major of district 12?

-CaptianRandom
"Do not allow people to dim your shine because they are blinded. Tell them to put on some sunglasses"

"I don't want my whole life to be real, so i chose for it not to be"

"You have to not care about the goal, you hgave to love the process"
- All from Lady GaGa

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:44 pm
Lilybeans333 says...

I love the hunger games and I'm so glad I found a fan-fiction about it! It's really great so far and I love the idea of Haymitch's games. It was a bit short so maybe you could add a little more detail? For example when Haymitch gets reaped you can add even more of Haymitch's feelings. Or when Maysilee gets choosen. You can say how Haymitch feels about her. Maybe he recognizes her from somewhere or he thinks she's pretty or something like that. It's really great though! Keep up the good work!
" You love me, Real or not real? "
" Real. "
~ The Hunger Games <3

75 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:07 pm
Teardrop says...

Woah I wrote this a long time ago, I've forgotten about it. ^__^ Thanks for the review!!

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott