z

Young Writers Society

Pokemon Emerald Manly Mode: Chapter 1

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:31 am
emmylove says...

Spoiler! :
The Nuzlocke Challenge can be best explained here, but basically, it's playing a Pokemon games with 2 self-imposed rules:
1.) You can only attempt to catch the first Pokemon in a route/cave/whatever. If it faints, flees, or you fail, tough noodles. Move along.
2.) If a Pokemon faints, consider it dead and either release it or permanently box it.
If you don't follow these rules, "...that would be breaking the rules."

Spoiler! :
This is going to be a series of chapters, and the main plot depends solely on what goes on in my game. I hope it's interesting.

Spoiler! :
You might see this chapter as filler. I see it as plot setup. Because it’s going to be a Nuzlocke Challenge… WITH A PLOT! (or at least an attempt at one)

Spoiler! :
I'm going to try and write a prologue for this later. Also, no more spoilers for this piece, I promise :D

When Professor Birch questioned her gender and sexual orientation, Emily assumed he was just a creepy middle-aged man with no action in his pants. It wasn’t until after talking to him and his wife that she realized it’s not Professor Birch who has no action in his pants.

It’s their son.

Emily walked into the Birch household under her mom’s instruction. Her mom said the Professor is one of Dad’s friends, and that Emily should go and introduce herself. That was all fine and dandy, until Mrs. Birch jumped her at the door.

“Oh, hello. And you are…?” Mrs. Birch stared at Emily long and hard, as if trying to remember something. Emily was too frightened to do anything but stammer; luckily, Mrs. Birch recalled the teenage girl’s name before she could. “Oh, you’re Emily, our new next-door neighbor! Hi! We have a son about the same age as you. Our son was excited about making a new friend. Our son is upstairs, I think.”

And, what, might I ask, is our son’s name?” Emily wanted to say, condescending and whatnot, but Mrs. Birch’s sparkling brown eyes would only allow her to murmur a quick, “Thank you,” and rush up the stairs.

Emily took a deep breath in and sighed it out, relieved that nobody was in her personal space bubble anymore.
The Birch kid’s room was clean to the point of emptiness; he wasn’t even in the room. There was only a desk with a computer on it, a bed, a clock, and a TV with a gaming console attached. Apart from a blue rug and a lone Pokeball, there was nothing on the floor. Emily tiptoed over and grabbed the ball, curious to know what was inside. Before she could stand back up and release the Pokemon, someone had made their way up the staircase.

“Hey!” a teenage boy shouted, making Emily catch her breath in surprise. She grasped the ball firmly and stood up straight, trying to make it look like she wasn’t just about to steal his Pokemon. His pale complexion went slightly pink as he gave her a puzzled look. “Who are you?”

“Emily,” she blurted before his crazy mom could come upstairs to spoil it – not that she would. His dark hair was messy from the hat that was not on his head, but rather, wadded up in his hand. His brown eyes reminded her of warm, gooey chocolate, and his muscular frame had Emily undressing him in her mind. She was biting her lip and secretly hoping he would say something before she went too far.

The boy looked a bit unsure for a moment, then a light bulb went off in his head. “Oh, you’re the neighbor kid, aren’t you? Moved in next door?” Emily nodded her head, still biting her lip, before he continued. “Yeah, I totally forgot you were a girl.” Emily raised her eyebrows in disbelief. “That’s my bad. I just remembered hearing, ‘Gym Leader’s Kid,’ and thought ‘boy.’” He laughed a little bit, but Emily didn’t find it amusing. Noticing the look Emily was giving him, he quickly apologized. “Sorry. I’m not good at meeting new people.”

“I can tell,” Emily replied, trying hard not to find his awkwardness kind of cute. She added, “But neither am I, so don’t worry.”

The Birch boy put his hands in his pockets, looking sheepish. He began to amble towards his computer, mentioning, “I’m Brendan, by the way.”

That’s a cute name, Emily thought, unable to keep herself from smirking. “Hi, Brendan.” She started rolling the Pokeball in her hands, realizing then that he might want it back. “Oh,” she blurted, placing the ball on his desk. “Here’s your Pokemon back. I wasn’t stealing it, I promise. I was just looking.”

Brendan grinned at Emily, assuring her that it was okay. “I know you weren’t going to steal it. I was just surprised to see a girl in my room.” He paused for a second, then had an idea. “Hey, Emily, do you have a Pokemon?”

Emily shook her head, embarrassed.

“Do you want me to go catch you one?”

Stunned by the question, Emily didn’t speak. Many different thoughts buzzed through her head, and she didn’t know which ones to listen to. She had never been offered anything so generous before, and therefore had no idea what an appropriate response would be.

Brendan glanced at the clock, then took back his offer, saying, “Oh, wait, I have to go meet my dad soon to help him do research. Some other time, okay?”

Almost breathless, Emily replied with, “Okay.” They stood in silence for a while, until Emily said, “I should probably go now…”

Brendan sat at his desk, seeming to be at a loss for words. “Okay, sure. Yeah, I have some work to get to anyway. We’ll catch up later.”

“Yeah, okay,” Emily said, not making eye contact with the dark-haired hottie. She hoped as hard as she could that she wasn’t being too awkward. “See you later then.”

As Emily started down the stairs, she heard, “See you,” come from the boy’s lips.

Oh, the boy’s lips, she silently gushed, unable to withhold her smile.

She tried not to seem too eager to leave as she raced out of the house, avoiding eye contact with Mrs. Birch. The door shut behind her, but that wouldn’t be enough to stop Mrs. Birch from prodding, so Emily ran back to her house and locked the door, hoping the vision of giant, fang-baring Mrs. Birch would leave her head before she went to bed. Her face began to cool.

“Oh, hey, Emily,” her mom said, watching Dad on the TV. “How were the neighbors?”

“They were good,” Emily responded, hiding her smile.

“Did you stop by the Laboratory on your way home?” She muted the TV and turned to face her daughter. “What are you smiling about?”

“Nothing!” Emily shouted without meaning to, her face growing warm again. “No, I didn’t. Was Professor Birch there?”

“Nope. I went over to see what all the hype was about. You know, with him being ‘world famous’ and all.” Her mom got up from the couch and went over to the refrigerator. “But no one was in there except his aides. He must be out working or something.”

“Yeah, must be…” Emily trailed off. The girl started making her way towards her room nonchalantly, hoping her mom wouldn’t really notice. She was anticipating what her mom was about to say next.

“Hey, you wouldn’t mind going out and finding out for sure, would you?”

Well, shit.

STATS:
Team-
N/A
Body Count- 0
We've stayed until the very end.
This is real for us.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 am
Lumi says...

I hate you so much for beating me to this! I've had my Nuzlocke Emerald crash on me three times since I use an Emulator, but I can't wait to see what you've got in store! I do want to give you some advice as far as the content goes, though, and that's to try and be a little less selective with what you go overboard with describing. (i.e. describing Brendan to a T, but skipping around on details about your own house, your own mom, etc.)

I'm excited for this. /follows thread

-Lumi
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken